Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 19:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid - A Skoda Fans New Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
I hope I have answered your questions, if you would me to answer anything else just ask. And sorry if it might seem a little biased to the Octavia, but I just love that car
Thank you. You covered it wonderfully. In realty space, there is a belief that a builder's first project would always be the best. He'd pick the tricks of the trade and apply those on later ones, basically bringing down quality that is not immediately seen. Seems the same applies to Automobiles too.

I too always had a admiration to Octavia. It's design seems so timeless and stately.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 19:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimodi View Post
Congratulations xtremeshock ! I am about to put my money down for a Ambition Diesel Rapid this coming week. I hope I am making the right decision. This would be my 1st Skoda, and infact my 1st car outside of Maruti Suzuki in a very long time (owned an Astra & Corsa at one point).
Thank you adimodi, Ambition is the most value for money variant. I would suggest you take an opinion of the Mumbai Skoda owners right here on TBHP, I'm sure they will help you out with their service feedback. As a product it is a wonderful car.

Quote:
1. What do you recommend as a seasoned Skoda user for the Run-In optimization? -
as in, the excitement of a new car, it would lead us (my wife and I) to do a long run - say Mumbai - Goa - as soon as we get the vehicle. Is this recommended?
Well I generally don't follow the rule-book, I take it easy i.e. below 2000rpm for the first 500kms, and for the next 500kms I gradually push it to 3000rpm, and for the next 1000kms I go till the redline but without being aggressive i.e. I never use full throttle, only after that do I drive how I like.

I don't see any problems in Mumbai-Goa, as long as you baby the engine a little with varying rpms, the only problem I see with highway driving a new engine is that you tend to get stuck in the highest gear with a constant rpm, which might not help the engine run-in.

Also, please do not keep your engine running idle for long periods of time, as it might harm the engine while running in.

Quote:
2. What shoe change is recommended? Is it definitely required to start off with, or can happen after 10 - 15k ?
Well if you do want to change your shoes might as well do it early on (i.e. below 100kms on the odo) as you might get the highest re-sale value. I was going to shift to the Yoko C/S drives, but since I will be driving this car mostly in the city I neglected it.

But, if you do plan on doing some high-way driving, I suggest you change it immediately, as not only will it improve ride but also improve safety. I think you can get a nice set of tyres for around 10K after exchange.

Quote:
3. What precautions are the be taken so that the ICE & Reverse Sensor installer do not invalidate the warranty?
Actually depends on the dealer, tell the dealer at the time of purchase itself what you plan to do with the car, mostly he will allow any changes or in worst case he will ask you to get it done through them, which is also OK.

HU's like Caska, Witson, Motevo, are just plug and play so they should not void warranty. Generally no wires should be cut while doing any installs, but some dealers are even ok on that, so its best ask your dealer or TBHP Mumbai Skoda owners. Here in Chennai they are asking me to bring the stuff and they will intall it.

Quote:
4. Is it true that if I get a breakdown in Timbuktu (figuratively) I will not be able to find some mechanic easily to sort me out immediately (temporarily)?
I think the mechanics have moved on from the Maruti days, which were 90% of the cars either used to be Maruti's or Amby's, I could be wrong but thats what I feel. Others can comment better.

If you are a little aprehensive get a nice Insurance Package like What Tata AIG offers, free stay in hotel, daily taxi allowance, also free pick-up of car. But no car will give you a 100% reliability, it also depends on your luck sometime, so don't take this into much consideration and book the car you feel right.

Quote:
Thanks, and pls. post some pictures of the leather install and ICE details once done !
Will definitely put up pictures of any update I do, but right now not getting the time, as I need the car.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 11:57   #33
BHPian

Does the Rapid come with the 'bad road package' viz the full metal underbody cover, which are standard for the Octavias and Lauras ?
Old 10th March 2012, 18:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Does the Rapid come with the 'bad road package' viz the full metal underbody cover, which are standard for the Octavias and Lauras ?
From what I can tell, it doesn't. The engine is exposed underneath between the 2 front wheels.

Congratulations on your car xtremeshock, looks neat! Have fun!
Old 11th March 2012, 09:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
As the title suggests I am a Skoda fan, a rarity in today's age to be a Skoda fan for so long. I have seen from my own eyes the Skoda A.S.S. has gone from being a very professional one to one that is now, you have to be really lucky to have absolutely no problems, and I can say that I have had my fair share of luck, and I am still riding on that luck to have purchased my 3rd Skoda.

<I was experimenting in capturing the lines of the Rapid in some pics but I guess it did not come out that well>

Nice one Xtremechock. I hope you are not yet done with the Leather seats so far, if then please take a look at the link below. These guys in bangalore also doing great work on leather seats. Ex-Stanley guys joined a 4 years old company. Stanley offering Classic Leather for 40-46k right ? that is 0.9mm Thickness leather, But check for a quote from stanley for scandinavian 1.55 thickness leather they will quote you not less than 50-55k. Karlsson will quote you 35-40k for the same with a great finish. Kärlsson | Facebook

Last edited by webblescott : 11th March 2012 at 09:40.
webblescott is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 10:12   #36
mxx
BHPian

Congrats for your new car. IMO, Rapid TDI and its cousin vento TDI are the best cars this side of 10lkhs. Worth every penny for someone who loves to drive.

Quote:
DONT get witson. Witson just sounds bad(comparatively).
Pioneer is way better in terms of sound quality.Yes, it will cost more than witson. But hey, this is not something you will change often, you will have it as long as you have the car. So go for something better.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 12:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, Rapid does not come with the bad road package, the Yeti and the Superb definitely do come with that package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
From what I can tell, it doesn't. The engine is exposed underneath between the 2 front wheels.

Congratulations on your car xtremeshock, looks neat! Have fun!
Thanks man, and I absolutely love your thread, very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Nice one Xtremechock. I hope you are not yet done with the Leather seats so far, if then please take a look at the link below. These guys in bangalore also doing great work on leather seats. Ex-Stanley guys joined a 4 years old company. Stanley offering Classic Leather for 40-46k right ? that is 0.9mm Thickness leather, But check for a quote from stanley for scandinavian 1.55 thickness leather they will quote you not less than 50-55k. Karlsson will quote you 35-40k for the same with a great finish. Kärlsson | Facebook
Yeah I have heard of them, but as far as I know they do not have an outlet in Chennai, and it does not make sense for me to go all the way to Bangalore just for seat covers, if they were in Chennai I would have definitely gone with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
DONT get witson. Witson just sounds bad(comparatively).
Pioneer is way better in terms of sound quality.Yes, it will cost more than witson. But hey, this is not something you will change often, you will have it as long as you have the car. So go for something better.
Yeah, have mostly ruled out Witson, but just thought maybe with an amplifier it would be better and I love those OEM looks.

UPDATE: Just got the tints installed in the car, the medium shade is lighter than what I wanted but its OK I guess, will post pics soon.
Old 11th March 2012, 19:11   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
As far as I know, Rapid does not come with the bad road package, the Yeti and the Superb definitely do come with that package.
The Rapid feature-list on Skoda India Website says Rough Road Package is available on all 3 variants. Not sure if its full underbody metal sheet protection.
Skoda Rapid Features

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th March 2012 at 19:12. Reason: Link edited
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 08:13   #39
BHPian

Congrats buddy !! Drive safe in your Rapid and hope you have many happy memories and miles in this car. I have a Vento TDI. Well so basically I know what the heart aka engine of this car is all about. Just out of curiosity have you driven the TDI Vento ? If yes then what difference if any did you notice w.r.t performance of the engine if Skoda is using a different tune of the engine.
One more thing you mentioned in one of your earlier true I completely agree. I had a Honda City earlier. It felt comfy and spacious. The Vento has space but then that feel is missing for sure. Space management is what the Japs are good at but not to in Suzuki though.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 09:18   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think all Skodas and VWs sold here come with this rough road package as standard - read rough road package to mean underbody protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Rapid feature-list on Skoda India Website says Rough Road Package is available on all 3 variants. Not sure if its full underbody metal sheet protection.
Skoda Rapid Features
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 09:52   #41
BHPian

I have been lazy not to post about few long drives or my ownership views on Vento. Enjoying the long drives immensely though! Here are some pics of the seats & car itself. Hope it helps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/honnatt...CJbS7u_otJDVbg
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:32   #42
BHPian

congrats xtremeshock.
Your skoda experience should be documented by skoda and framed into a case study !
Its surely the one off good skoda experience after a million criticising stories.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:10   #43
BHPian

^^^ ha ha ha, please don't jinx me, otherwise I will have to start a new thread "A Skoda fans folly, a tight-rope act with Skoda" OR "Skoda fans folly - 3rd one's not the charm"

Last edited by xtremeshock : 12th March 2012 at 19:11.
Old 13th March 2012, 06:34   #44
BHPian

Congratilations on you handsome new buy. IMHO please do not go with the blue seat covers. Too bright for an otherwise decent cockpit. Go for the beige ones
Old 13th March 2012, 16:56   #45

In your post you mentioned you had got the Skoda Shield. Does this include the roadside assistance and the extended 4 year (total) warranty?

Tafe Skoda Bangalore where I got my car from told me the scheme is yet to be launched, just wanted to check if it were true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks