Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 11:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I own an Feb 2007 SLX Scorp and frankly at first I was a bit wary of its body roll and brakes when i test drove or drove my friends scorp but once i got to own it and rove it I can say that these things are overrated criticism.
I have driven the scorp now over almost all kinds of terrain and it does handle well. Body roll is just about getting used to and once you are used to it you feel it any more and even on winding turns and twists the scorp can be pushed to its limits.
Drive it on a mud stricken monsoon lashed Himalayan tract and you know that you have made the right choice. I pushed it up a non existent road up the Chansal Pass (14500 feet) and believe me the scorp took it nonchalantly and the drive was pure fun. The suspension handles superbly and with the ladies n kids int he back seat I didnot hear many complaints except a few shrieks when they could not see the ground in front of the front bumper...lolz.
Old 7th September 2007, 15:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Improved Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys, I own an Feb 2007 SLX Scorp and frankly at first I was a bit wary of its body roll and brakes when i test drove or drove my friends scorp but once i got to own it and rove it I can say that these things are overrated criticism.
I have driven the scorp now over almost all kinds of terrain and it does handle well. Body roll is just about getting used to and once you are used to it you feel it any more and even on winding turns and twists the scorp can be pushed to its limits.
Drive it on a mud stricken monsoon lashed Himalayan tract and you know that you have made the right choice. I pushed it up a non existent road up the Chansal Pass (14500 feet) and believe me the scorp took it nonchalantly and the drive was pure fun. The suspension handles superbly and with the ladies n kids int he back seat I didnot hear many complaints except a few shrieks when they could not see the ground in front of the front bumper...lolz.
Hai,

I agree with "wanderernomad" and my trvellogue / ownership report would validate that:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...km-report.html

My Scorp is July, 07 and the new suspension has done a great lot for handling and stability. I wonder which SUV this side of 10 L is as functional in city and highway and also peppy as the Scorpio ?????

Yes, I wish the truck would not rock on its boots as much as it does and the weight could have been lot more lesser. I also wish M&M would work on the small nigglies like the A/C vents, last row seating comfort, gear slotting etc., a little more seriously. If they sort these out, the competition would have sleepless nights........

The test of the pudding is in eating it; I've done 4000 Kms on this truck, I dare say this is one hell of lunch......

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
========
Old 12th September 2007, 15:40   #63

Scorp is coming with automatic transmission? Waining for it... the suspensions also should be corrected right?
Old 12th September 2007, 16:46   #64
HSV
BHPian

Auto Tranny on the scorpio??!! Dream come true!
Old 12th September 2007, 19:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Auto Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecat View Post
Scorp is coming with automatic transmission? Waining for it... the suspensions also should be corrected right?
Hai,

Yesterday's CNBC report said it will be available in Mid 2008, would be a long wait.

Happy Driving,

-Ramky

========
Old 12th September 2007, 20:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hai TBHpians,

I almost forgot the important information.....

A very reliable bird told me that the new VLX will be launched before end of 07. It will be almunium engine, 120 BHP, 60 KG lesser and more balanced as far braking is concerned, it would be more expensive with probably a new dash cluster. That's all this bird told me before it clammed up.

Looks like it will hit the market during Diwali.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
===========
Old 28th September 2007, 14:35   #67
BHPian

I hope they sort out the jiggly ride in the VLX. I was almost decided on the SLX until i completed a test drive. The engine was well sorted out, never felt it was a diesel and i was very happy that this was the right choice of vehicle. The plastics were cheap.
With my wife sitting in the backseat i thougt i would demo her the ease with which the vehicle goes over bumps/rough tracks (it being an "SUV"). Did not have to goo too far, there where rough roads nearby. Once we went over these, it was all apparent. The suspension left so much to be desired and right after finishing the test drive dropped the idea of the Scorpio.
Old 30th September 2007, 10:06   #68
BHPian

And Safety!

Badly needs safety features - ABS, airbags at the minimum.
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Attention M&M

Many are watching the thread, and many are waiting for the new 2.2.
Few things every Scorpio fans (and those who are waiting to buy) would like to have.

1. Better confidence on high speed, especially on the Steering wheel
2. Added safety features - Alloy wheels, Airbags and ABS
3. Improved breaking, at high speeds
4. Quality plastics inside
5. Better suspension on the rear.
6. Pricing to make Scorpio - a clear winner.

Can we all expect these apart from the new engine?
Old 8th October 2007, 11:48   #70

Scorpio 2x2 or 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Did you do all this in a 2X2 scorpio or a 4X4?

I am going to be buying the SLX during diwali (thought it better to wait for the deals and discounts to come out). I wanted to get the 4X4 scorpio since i will be doing a lot of long distance adventure driving (Ladhakh, Garhwal, Himachal etc) but after talking to a few people changed my mind. I was told that the 4X4 is not a good car, very heavy, slower, less mileage, more maintenance and problems. I thought about it and figured that since 98% of my driving will be in the city its probably not a good idea to get a 4x4. Recently i went to a showroom and to my utter surprise there was a 4X4 on display there. So finally i got to SEE (only see) this "only made to order" SUV. I was not that impressed, considering right in front of the 4X4 was the new Getaway which was like a floor higher (Its got bigger wheels and higher suspension) and tougher looking (NO useless "air dampers"). The new 4X4 comes with a on the roll 4WD change option. Now it doesn't have a stick its got this selector switch near the gear stick with three options 2WD, 4WDhigh and 4WDlow. Yes, mahindra has maintained their Cheap plastic for this simple switch which is supposed to turn the city car into a 4 wheel monster. Obviously they didn't have a Demo vehicle so i could test it out. Now the thing is that the salesman, being a sales man vowed that this new variant of the 4X4 has been reworked and completely changed. the front transmission has been made lighter and the entire mechanics has been fixed. That got me thinking again if i should reconsider the 4X4?
Now i'm in a dilemma....... what do i do? Is the 2X2 good enough for snow and rain conditions of the Himalaya's? Is the 4X4 a usable car for the City?
Old 8th October 2007, 12:06   #71
Team-BHP Support

What is a Scorpio 2x2? Mann! That will be a scooter with both the wheels powered
Old 8th October 2007, 12:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you do all this in a 2X2 scorpio or a 4X4?
There is no such thing as 2x2, its either 4 x 2 or 4 x 4.

@ Zappo - LOL
Old 8th October 2007, 12:15   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
What is a Scorpio 2x2? Mann! That will be a scooter with both the wheels powered
twenty characters...
Old 8th October 2007, 20:49   #74

OOPS sorry

that was a bad typo. You guys know what i meant.
Old 9th October 2007, 21:26   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday I got the opportunity to test drive the new Mahindra Scorpio.
This was the first time I had stepped into an SUV. The feeling was indeed great.
And one thing I can tell you all is.. this SUV rocks.
The new scorpio has lot of improvements over its predecessor.
I took a short test drive, abt 5 kms, could not rip it..!!
Overall, I thing it is a good VFM.
1) The power is amazing, quick acceleration.
2) The engine is quite responsive.
3) Doesn’t feel like a diesel engine at all
4) No noise whatsoever
5) Inside cabin is very quite.
6) Moreover it has very comfortable seating arrangements.
7) Nice view in the front.
8) Good responsive steering.
9) I found the Gear shift like the tata ones, had to make effort to shift gears.
10) Braking was quite ok.
11) Handling was the best. You don’t feel like you are driving a big car.
12) Looks wise, it certainly has a good masculine road presence.
13) Lot of features inside the SUV, like cup holders, delay lamp ect,ect. The dealer almost explained all the 43 changes which mahindra claims to have made in the new edition.
14) With an on road price of 8,80,000/- ex thane, the top end is a good buy.
15) The sad part is even the fully loaded model does not include alloys.
16) I don’t know abt the FE of this giant, but the dealer claimed abt 11 in the city with ac.

Overlall, would love have the SUV in my garage.

netarchie
indica DLS 2002
Yes, it is a great own! But my friend, who bought a two Scorpios in his family(1s in 3/2006 & the second in 3/2007), has run into troubles with Scorpio(3/2006) new in its CRDE pump. He is not sure, when his engine would NOT start?!?!? It happens any time! He left the 2006 March bought scorpio with India Garage & MPL Motors in chennai with this specific complaint that his engine fails to start at crucial moments. Both the dealers have failed to solve this problem. He is now quite UPSET with his much loved Scorpio, which runs into CRDI pump block. His battery and self starter are fine, he is told. He has to open the boot and pump the air-block-release lever or what is that all at the same time?! So he calls pitiably the passers-by!? A really awkward scene in the road for a SCORPIOn! How to get this solved permanently? A local 'expert' has suggested changing the CRDI pump itself!? Is is common in a Scropio CRDE which is just 18 months and has clocked under 25000 KM? Please advise.
Can Mahindra be fixed to solve this problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks