Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 07:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: My new set of 5 wheels: Maruti Swift ZDI - 20,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Was unpleasantly surprised to see my less than 2 month old car in this state late evening at my client's office parking. The car was parked at Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market New Delhi. No damage to the bumper at all , still wondering how did this happen.
Really sad to see this on your beauty. Looks like this was done by some SUV with a bull bar, or else some 2 wheeler handle bar rammed into that part. My bet is on some SUV

Quote:
Paint is not damaged apart from few horizontal swirl marks. Shall take it to MSM Nariana tomorrow or day after. Any idea how much will it cost to set it right and what percentage shall be covered under insurance.
If the dent is straightened out from underneath/behind the boot door, the stretching will cause a discoloring of that area. Try some of the aftermarket shops who use suction machines to pull out the dent from outside. Although I feel this dent area is too big for a suction treatment 'popping', its worth a try. That suction thing hardly costs anything, it wont even touch 4 digits.

Are you talking about the boot door replacement costs? I had got that done once on our old Swift when a bullock cart rammed into our stopped car from behind. Costs went up to 30k including the boot door, electromagnetic opener, OEM decals, rear windshield and wiper/washer assembly. Insurance covered around 22-23k of it. This was in 2008 though, so costs might be higher now. Personally I don't think your dent warrants going for that much of repair

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th March 2012 at 08:04.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Are you talking about the boot door replacement costs? I had got that done once on our old Swift when a bullock cart rammed into our stopped car from behind. Costs went up to 30k including the boot door, electromagnetic opener, OEM decals, rear windshield and wiper/washer assembly. Insurance covered around 22-23k of it. This was in 2008 though, so costs might be higher now. Personally I don't think your dent warrants going for that much of repair
No, I just wish to repair this at MASS and want them to match the finishing by whatsoever techeniques they employ. The car is less than 2 months old, how much of the repair cost would be covered under insurance?
Old 13th March 2012, 09:26   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, I just wish to repair this at MASS and want them to match the finishing by whatsoever techeniques they employ. The car is less than 2 months old, how much of the repair cost would be covered under insurance?
If you just get the dent hammered out at MASS, I don't think the costs would be so high as to claim insurance, it might be in the 2-3k range is my guess. My suggestion would be to get it done out of your own pocket, and save the no claim bonus.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
If you just get the dent hammered out at MASS, I don't think the costs would be so high as to claim insurance, it might be in the 2-3k range is my guess. My suggestion would be to get it done out of your own pocket, and save the no claim bonus.
Would just denting it out suffice to match the overall finish. As you said earlier, what about the paint discolouration? How would that be treated.
Going for insurance or not shall be decided once I get an estimate from MASS. I'm not in a mood to get it repaired outside MASS so that option is already closed.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:29   #35
BHPian

Hey congrats on the new swift. Loved the color.
Congrats and Happy Mile Crunching.
Old 17th March 2012, 19:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Was unpleasantly surprised to see my less than 2 month old car in this state late evening at my client's office parking. The car was parked at Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market New Delhi. No damage to the bumper at all , still wondering how did this happen.

Attachment 901971

Paint is not damaged apart from few horizontal swirl marks. Shall take it to MSM Nariana tomorrow or day after. Any idea how much will it cost to set it right and what percentage shall be covered under insurance.
Hey folks,
The car is restored back to its glory by MSM Nariyana. Complete hatch door was repainted and monograms replaced. Total cost is 3900 including 5 monograms.

Also the car has returned fuel economy of 18.53 (with 100% ACC) calculated using full tank method. The sample size cosidered was 376 Kms ( 220 Kms of Delhi-Agra Highway + 156 South Delhi traffic) . The car has done 2300 kms. Will this fuel economy improve or its optimal ?
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 15:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Got it transported through Agrawal Packers. I did not drive it to Delhi
Hi! I am planning to take my car i.e. swift diesel to Raipur from Gurgaon.

I am little apprehensive about the route especially M.P. section.

If you could share the details of agrawal packers and how much did it cost? And if they handled the car carefully.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post

If you could share the details of agrawal packers and how much did it cost? And if they handled the car carefully.
Its a pure luck.
When i got transferred from Noida to Chennai, I opted for Agarwal packers and movers, they deliverred the car safely. No issues, it costed me ~11k (Note this was way back in 2006). But my coleague's car got a big crack on its roof during transit, which was also transferred by the same Agarwal P&M.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 17:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why to take the risk ? There are chances that during the transit the car could get damaged .
Why don't you plan to drive it yourself or hire a driver to be on the safer side ?

Cheers
Old 6th February 2013, 18:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:

MP Section is all bad to drive. I had driven to Nagpur from New Delhi in August 2012(Via Yamuna Expressway- Agra-Gwalior-Biora- Bhopal- Hoshangabad- Nagpur). Cannot comment on the latest status, but IMO it is still the same.

Agrawal Packers charged me 14k way back in Feb 2012, and took 3 weeks for the delivery. They had quoted 21k for the dedicated flat-bed tow truck.

The service was OK , no damages done to the car, except that it was driven for around 150 kms somewhere.I had personally left the car at the Raipur warehouse and picked up from the Gurgaon warehouse, still they could not give me proper reason for those 150 kms.

IMO using Packers and Movers is a better option even if you love to drive. The drive from Raipur to Gurgaon would not be enjoyable due to bad roads.

Last edited by beast_within : 6th February 2013 at 18:03. Reason: Added content
Old 6th February 2013, 18:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Why to take the risk ? There are chances that during the transit the car could get damaged .Why don't you plan to drive it yourself or hire a driver to be on the safer side ?
Cheers
I plan to drive it myself but uncertainty about route and road condition is holding me back.

Quote:
MP Section is all bad to drive. I had driven to Nagpur from New Delhi in August 2012(Via Yamuna Expressway- Agra-Gwalior-Biora- Bhopal- Hoshangabad- Nagpur). Cannot comment on the latest status, but IMO it is still the same.

Agrawal Packers charged me 14k way back in Feb 2012, and took 3 weeks for the delivery. They had quoted 21k for the dedicated flat-bed tow truck.

The service was OK , no damages done to the car, except that it was driven for around 150 kms somewhere.I had personally left the car at the Raipur warehouse and picked up from the Gurgaon warehouse, still they could not give me proper reason for those 150 kms.

IMO using Packers and Movers is a better option even if you love to drive. The drive from Raipur to Gurgaon would not be enjoyable due to bad roads.
I am planning to follow route as suggested by hvkumar in his post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...arh-delhi.html

Last edited by horsepower : 6th February 2013 at 18:39.
Old 6th February 2013, 19:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to follow route as suggested by hvkumar in his post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...arh-delhi.html
Routes suggested by HVK are best. You can also check his Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvkumar/?fref=ts) to get the latest updates on the conditions of the road.
Old 18th May 2013, 14:21   #43
BHPian

Re: My new set of 5 wheels: Maruti Swift ZDI: 20,000 kms Update

My experience with the Swift ZDI has mostly been good and as per my expectations. I have driven it 20,000 kms in 15 months with a 50-50 mix of Urban and Highway driving.

The Good Things:

1. Balanced ride and good dynamics
Absolutely love the way it handles uneven roads, without being unsettled. Steering feedback is fantastic is the monocoque obeys the steering inputs accurately. I absolutely love to throw it around the corners. Upgrading to better 195 section tyres is recommended but not absolutely necessary.

2. Reliable and durable suspension.
I have driven it around on some very bad roads with lot of potholes, but the suspension is still going strong. The car doesn't easily bottoms out even with 4 passengers on board. Have scraped the underbody only 2-3 times that too with some very badly designed humps (or a drainage cover slab)

3. Power and Performance
This has already been discussed till death. Our 1.3 MJD National Engine is a brilliant performer however massive turbo-lag can be an issue for beginners. This car can easily cruise at 130 kmph all day, but feels a bit strained above 140 and the progress is slow above it.

4. Fuel efficiency
Excellent fuel efficiency on highways. I regularly do Nagpur - Raipur which is an odd 300 kms journey with around 90% of the highway being 4 laned. Keep it at steady 90-100 kmph (RPM at around ~2200 on 5th Gear) and it easily returns 23 kmpl with 100% ACC.
On the flip side my urban runs are not very long but many frequent 4-5 kms runs with lot of traffic signals and the car returns around 17 kmpl with 100% ACC.

5. Comfort levels
Driver's seat is an absolute delight. As many forum members have complained about the shin portion hitting against the lower part of the dashboard, yes it is an issue if the seat is moved too close to the steering, however if you move the seat a bit backwards, the problem may be avoided. In short it should not be a dealbreaker for sub 6ft tall people as finding a comfortable seating position is easy. Thigh support could have been better.

6. In Car Entertainment
The factory fitted ICE is above average and should suit most of the people. However the USB doesn't read all of the folders/songs in some of the brands of Pen drives. I'm not sure if other users are facing this problem too.

NOT so good things:

1.Fit and Finish
Fit and finish is below par for the price point. Few rattles started early well within 2 weeks of ownership but were fixed promptly. Some more minor rattles have cropped up from somewhere near or behind the Dashboard but as of now it doesn't bother too much. Shall get it fixed when the increase and the source could easily be identified. However the rattles are not as bad as previous generation Swift.
Finish of the Power window switches, OVRM switch, headlight, wiper stalks is poor and feels cheap. The space below and behind the handbrake lever could have been better utilized.
The panels (doors, fenders etc) easily gets dented. Your regular car washer guy can manage to make few dents if he is not careful.

2. Rear Space and Boot
Rear bench is at best suited for 2 average sized persons. Leg room is just about adequate.
Cabin is well insulated from engine bay, however one can easily hear outside traffic and road noise- thanks to the ultra thin window glasses.
Boot can accommodate 4 laptop backpacks. Overall the space packaging in the cabin is poor.

3. Paint Quality
Paint quality is worst in the segment and below. The clear coat wears out in a matter of few weeks. It is absolutely essential to get a 3M job done.

4. Weak Head lamps and fogs
Both the stock pairs are useless to say the least. Upgrade is essential for any kind of driving situation. To begin with I have already upgraded to Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55 Watts. The visibility has improved significantly. Upgrading fog lamp is also on the cards.

5. Maintenance and Servicing Costs
I never came across any unplanned maintenance. But the parts and labour costs at MASS have increased a lot. 1st Paid servicing at 20k kms with regular stuff (scheduled maintenance + fully synthetic oil) would set you back by at least 9.5k

Overall its a great car. Those looking at outright performance, styling and reliability Swift is the car. Those looking at some more rear and boot space Figo, Vista is the more practical option.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 14:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

4. Fuel efficiency
Excellent fuel efficiency on highways. I regularly do Nagpur - Raipur which is an odd 300 kms journey with around 90% of the highway being 4 laned. Keep it at steady 90-100 kmph (RPM at around ~2200 on 5th Gear) and it easily returns 23 kmpl with 100% ACC.
On the flip side my urban runs are not very long but many frequent 4-5 kms runs with lot of traffic signals and the car returns around 17 kmpl with 100% ACC.

1.Fit and Finish
Fit and finish is below par for the price point. Few rattles started early well within 2 weeks of ownership but were fixed promptly. Some more minor rattles have cropped up from somewhere near or behind the Dashboard but as of now it doesn't bother too much. Shall get it fixed when the increase and the source could easily be identified. However the rattles are not as bad as previous generation Swift.
Finish of the Power window switches, OVRM switch, headlight, wiper stalks is poor and feels cheap. The space below and behind the handbrake lever could have been better utilized.
The panels (doors, fenders etc) easily gets dented. Your regular car washer guy can manage to make few dents if he is not careful.
Those are really good figures. Mine average about 15-17 in city and 18-19 and max 20 on highways with 100% AC. As for the rattles, this is one major problem when it comes to Swift or Maruti in general. My car has clocked around 55k kms and there are rattles from the dashboard and from the rear seats. Although this can be rectified, these rattles creeps in again. I stuck double sided tapes inside the glove box and in few nooks and corners to eliminate most of these rattles. Other than that, its one awesome car. Enjoy your ride and keep us updated.
Old 18th May 2013, 17:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Those are really good figures. Mine average about 15-17 in city and 18-19 and max 20 on highways with 100% AC. As for the rattles, this is one major problem when it comes to Swift or Maruti in general. My car has clocked around 55k kms and there are rattles from the dashboard and from the rear seats. Although this can be rectified, these rattles creeps in again. I stuck double sided tapes inside the glove box and in few nooks and corners to eliminate most of these rattles. Other than that, its one awesome car. Enjoy your ride and keep us updated.
At present I drive in Nagpur city. Traffic is not really heavy here but still a lot of traffic signals on my 4 kms away office.
On a 4 laned highway 100 kmph really feels slow after a while. At times it becomes too difficult to resist.
The FE figures quoted are from MID. Initially I did not rely on MID figures, but having compared them several times with Full-Tank method, I find them to be fairly accurate.

Most Viewed