Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:38   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Silver Pegasus - 2012 Honda City CE - Updated Index & all Accessories Listed

Happy Birthday to the Silver-winged King!

It was this very day, exactly a year ago, when King Pegasus entered my life. It was a childhood dream to have the King by my side one day, and I had fulfilled it on that fateful Friday. Oh, how my breath had caught up inside me when I had laid my eyes on him for the very first time! I still remember that moment vividly when the Honda SA pointed him out to me - covered in dust, parked behind a X1. I dismissed the BMW from my vision as I feasted on the magnificent contours of my very own majestic Honda.

My very first car, my first OWNED car, MY car, my companion for the years to come. My Pegasus. My King.

So much has happened since that day, and to call this year eventful would be an understatement. Anyone who has gone through this Log Book would agree wholeheartedly.

There has been a lot of smiles scattered throughout the past year, and moments of rashness and sadness as well. Contemplating over all of it right now, I would say that the absolute pride of owning the King is still very much there, deeply embedded inside my heart. Every time I look out of the window in the morning and see his royal presence in my parking space, it brings a warmth to my inner self. I could have never been more happier.

The gifts I had planned for King Pegasus for his first birthday will have to wait for a wee bit longer. As much as I wanted to, the twin hits of February and March to the tax-paying salaried professional caused severe shortage of funds. The tyre upgrades, the HIDs, anything else was indefinitely (and most definitely achingly) postponed.

But I still managed to eke out one small, special gift for him - a pure leather steering wheel cover (not the stitched one, I am afraid).

First thing I did in the morning was walk out straight from the bedroom to the parking space and give him a small peck on the windshield to wish him happy birthday (wifey did the same, on my insistence). Then I took him out to give him a nice, long wash, followed by a polishing session (the best that I could). I have trained myself to look away from the swirl/scratch marks on his body for now, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't cause a small pinch deep inside me every time my eyes wander straight to those scars.

A long wash/polish later, Pegasus looked radiant and resplendent in all his glory. I let him bask in the sunshine and drown the environment in his royal splendor, while I took some pictures (amateur photography mode at it's most impromptu moment). Then, while my little princess came into my arms, I asked wifey to take a few more snaps.

Then, it was time to ride. The late afternoon sun shone brightly on the proud royal steed and his owner, as we drove off for a highway stint to the state border. The drive was still magnificence personified, a sheer luxury cruise on wheels. Too bad some of the roads inside the city didn't reflect this magnificence.

By the time we returned, it was almost nightfall. It was time to let the King rest, and off he went under the covers. Wishing him happy birthday for one final time, I returned to my worldly chores.

One year of royalty. One year of faithfulness. One year of companionship.

Here's to many, many more. Hail to the King!

Basking in his radiance.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130050.jpg

The proud chest puffed out.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130111.jpg

Badge before polish.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130135.jpg

Badge after polish.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130205.jpg

The best angle from the rear, IMO.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130416.jpg

The super-fantastic side view.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130449.jpg

And the front three-quarters. Royalty on wheels!

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130506.jpg

Imposing front can still cause competition to go green with absolute envy.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_130517.jpg

Current ODO reading.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_183044.jpg

FE for the last 232 kms in-city.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_183107.jpg

The quick session - Both the owner and his little princess overshadowed by the royal silver steed.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_145352.jpg

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_145459.jpg

The little princess had enough of the sun by now.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130302_145633.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th December 2013 at 20:35.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:02   #212
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Avinash!

Very well written. It's nice to read such a positive and emotional report of a car.

I personally remember one major event related to your Pegasus. It still gives me shivers when I read how you had to carry your little one in your lap and drive the Pegasus by one hand at the same time.

Wishing you and your family all the best and hope you a very long and safe and happy journey with the Pegasus.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:38   #213
Senior - BHPian

re: Silver Pegasus - 2012 Honda City CE - Updated Index & all Accessories Listed

Excellent write up, shows you really care bout your car. BTW beautiful place where you live.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:21   #214
ZMG
BHPian

Congrats on completing one year with the beautiful Honda. Have been follwong both your threads (this one, as well as the one on your dads ritz) closely. I am sure there will be many many more years and miles with this Honda. I personally think, a Honda car is like wine, it gets better as it ages, as the design becomes somewhat retro and still not out of fashion (unlike Polo or Vento, which made their debut with the already retro looks).
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 16:09   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congrats Avinash!

Very well written. It's nice to read such a positive and emotional report of a car.

I personally remember one major event related to your Pegasus. It still gives me shivers when I read how you had to carry your little one in your lap and drive the Pegasus by one hand at the same time.

Wishing you and your family all the best and hope you a very long and safe and happy journey with the Pegasus.
Thanks, Ajay.

I still remember that day vividly. My 4-month old Princess shaking and shivering, frightened beyond her wits, continuously crying with uncontrollable spasms, and me holding her to my chest with my left hand and driving back home, from one end of the city to the other, with only my right hand to do double duty with the steering and the gear shifts! What a day that was!

I don't know if anyone else has done this stunt with their cars, but I must say Pegasus was remarkably well-poised and well-behaved in congested city traffic on that day for a one-handed driver! One of the main reasons why I have grown to love him so much over the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Excellent write up, shows you really care bout your car. BTW beautiful place where you live.
Thanks, Sumeet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Congrats on completing one year with the beautiful Honda. Have been follwong both your threads (this one, as well as the one on your dads ritz) closely. I am sure there will be many many more years and miles with this Honda. I personally think, a Honda car is like wine, it gets better as it ages, as the design becomes somewhat retro and still not out of fashion (unlike Polo or Vento, which made their debut with the already retro looks).
Thanks, ZMG. Sorry for getting back so late to your reply - I was totally busy with March Closing.

Yes, it's a given that Pegasus will stay in our life for quite some time. I doubt I will find any car better than him in the next 5-6 years at least (or till they launch the City i-DTEC I guess!), and if and when I will think of replacing him, it will be when I get a company-approved car. That's still 2-3 years away.

Looks-wise, the City still looks space-age from the side profile. That remarkable arrow-shot design lends a lot of futuristic class to the car's design. Simply beautiful, and it grows on you with each passing day.

----------------------------------------------

Crossed an interesting milestone yesterday afternoon en-route to office.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130410_132836.jpg

It made me realise two things immediately -

1) How soon has time passed! It felt like yesterday when I had taken delivery of Pegasus.

2) How less I have driven him in the past few months. Till Sylver (Dad's Ritz VDI) came into our life, Pegasus was crunching the kilometers like crazy. But now, since my last update of this thread, Pegasus has clocked only 140-odd kms on the ODO, and that's for the past 5 weeks.

But then again, the month of March was almost exclusively used for home-office-home trips, and Pegasus did it's duty 2-3 days per week (rest was done by Sylver) so it's not surprised that the running has been so less. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I filled him up! Must have been about a month back. The tank still shows half-full.

Tripmeter, all kilometers in-city.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130410_132854.jpg

FE for these in-city trips.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130410_132845.jpg

It has grown hotter since March (we are headed for a pretty hot summer this year), and so the above figures have been attained with AC on 100% of the time, with intermittent speeds between 30-40 kph, crawling speeds and in B2B traffic, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Some things which I don't like in the Honda City (specially after driving the excellently responsive 1.3 MJD of the Ritz) :-

- The sluggishness of the initial gears. Every time I slot Pegasus into 1st, I have to really tap the accelerator to get the City moving. Same goes for the Reverse gear as well (since it shares the 1st gear similarity). This is particularly frustrating in stop-and-go traffic. I really hope the next-gen City comes with a better and more responsive lower RPM band.

- Equipment level is pretty sparse. Even with the latest HU and all other fittings which I have adorned Pegasus with, it still feels a notch below contemporary competition, against the Fiesta, Verna, even the Vento.

- Rearward visibility, although better than some competitors, is still average. The combination of both ORVMs + reverse camera do their job, but still I find myself turning around more than once, to absolutely ensure there is nothing behind me when reversing. More so when I am turning to one side while reversing.

- Paint finish quality is not upto Honda standards. The quality of the paint used is top-notch, but the paint itself has come off in 1-2 areas, where I am sure Pegasus hasn't scraped with anything.

- Plastics quality on the inside feels cheap. Everything is screwed up pretty tight but the plastics themselves aren't that great.

- The foglamp casing is very delicate. Once while getting out of office, a hurrying cyclist merely touched the front bumper on the left side while he hurried in front of me. I got down to see the entire foglamp casing (the black part) on the road. Thankfully I could fit it back in (went in with a couple of tak-tak snaps on either side), but it goes to show the fit of the things. Glad that there are no pavements in my city. I shudder to think how many times those darn things will drop off.

- The effectiveness of the A/C has gone down a bit. Maybe it's due to a more dirtier AC filter which has been doing it's duty since the time I bought Pegasus. A note to self to get it replaced during the next service which I might avail next month.

Other than these, the City is an absolute gem of a car to own. No-fuss, no-niggles, no thuds/clatters, no unwanted sounds from unknown corners of the car, and no maintenance issues so far (touchwood!). Right there is the reason why the City sells 2000+ units in monthly sales consistently in a petrol-only avatar. It's the best alternative to a complete peace of mind in the C2 segment.

Catch you all soon with the next update, which would be hopefully the next paid service. Ciao till then!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th April 2013 at 16:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:47   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd Paid Service (5th overall) Report: (7180 kms)

Availed - 8th May, 2013.

Work to be done - (listed under 10K service, like the earlier one)

All necessary check-ups/top-ups for the summer season,
AC filter to be cleaned (replaced if necessary),
Brake pads/Air filter/suspension checks,
Broken fuel cap attachment to be replaced,
Ordered official accessories to be fitted,
Touch-up work for some minor scratches,
Washing and general cleaning only (no interior treatment).

Time Spent - 8 hours (and some minutes).

Charges - Pretty much for all of them, except the paint touch-ups.

Mother's health had gone down to dangerous levels but because of March Closing I had to postpone her check-up and treatments. Finally we decided to pay a visit to the capital despite the sweltering May heat in this area. It was imperative to get her checked thoroughly. Since my visits to the capital have lessened, I decided to get Pegasus taken in for summer care - top-ups, checks and the full monty. I had ordered a few more official accessories and it was time to get them fitted as well. Details in the pictorial to follow.
Tanked up the day before, on Saturday night, and left my city with Mom at 4:30 PM in the afternoon on Sunday, 5th May.
Traffic was unusually light despite a summer Sunday and despite all the hype surrounding the CM's Vikas Yatra. I stayed within moderate speeds of 75-80 kph throughout (in the 5th gear), occasionally touching 90, but didn't risk higher speeds because I had Mom with me, who was already sick and is a poor traveler.
Clouds gathered around and struck with all their fury in the form of a huge thunderstorm accompanied by heavy rain and hail, about an hour and half into our journey, and stayed with us for the good part of an hour. Visibility became really low but I didn't stop and kept driving at a slower speed (~40 kph) till this sudden storm subsided and the late evening sky cleared up.
We reached the capital at 9:30 PM and it took another 30 minutes to reach our hotel. The forward trip consisted of 321 kms, and the FE for the trip was a solid 18.9 kmpl! I was in 5th gear for the entire trip, except the storming time when I dropped to 4th, with a steady speed of 75-80 kph where the "ECO" indicator glowed continuously, with occasional bursts of speed in-between when I briefly touched 90 kph. Pegasus was extremely smooth, glided like he was on excellently-oiled wheels, and performed admirably well. Tyre noise was loud as usual. I need to get those stock Goodyears out ASAP!
The next 2 days went by with us dashing around inside the city meeting various doctors and getting checks/tests done, medications, treatments, etc.
Since we couldn't meet one of the docs as he was on vacation, we decided to cut our visit short for now and return back on 8th evening. On the morning of 8th May (yesterday), I took Pegasus for his summer check-ups and accessories fitting.

Got up early and drove to the Honda A.S.S. center and reached there by 10 AM. Again, I had phoned in the day before and reserved a slot, plus not many staff had arrived till then. My SA, Deepak, greeted me with his usual smile and noted down all what I wanted to get done (under the 10K paid service heading).
I skipped the suspension check and alignment/balancing (unnecessary since the roads have improved considerably since the last time I drove up here), but noted down everything else I could think of, including a basic check of the brake pads. I knew it was early, but I just wanted to be sure all's well.
Engine oil had been changed at the last service so I skipped it. It was good for another 4000 kms at least.
I pointed out the scratches to Deepak and to the workshop supervisor who's my relative, and they said that those scratches required a complete paint-job which will take some time and I might have to leave Pegasus overnight with them. Since we had decided to leave on the same day, I had to get the paint job done during my next visit. All other minor scratches would be covered by the paint touch-ups, as promised by them.
There were no other problems with Pegasus (touchwood!). Mom is impressed by him and loves him as much as me, remarking many a time about "what a fantastic piece the company has provided us with". I couldn't agree more!
Got all my stuff out, kept my personal toolkit box with the guards, and asked Deepak if he could arrange for someone to drop me back to my hotel. He phoned a driver who was available, and to my pleasant surprise, walked with me straight to a Majestic Blue Honda Amaze VX i-DTEC!!
That wasn't the end of the surprise. He placed the keys in the ignition and asked me if I would like to drive (!!), saying that it would be sort of like a TD!
Well, could I say no? Of course not!
I jumped in and took the wheel, and slotted it out of it's parked place, and pretty soon we were on the expressway heading back to the city.
The Amaze Diesel drove like a dream. Like it has been said before, the power delivery is very linear and it feels like one is driving a finely-tuned and refined petrol. The only difference I could make is the very faint but slightly audible diesel clatter filtering into the cabin. I must say the Amaze has excellent road manners and despite the puny stock tyres, grips the tarmac rather well. But the tyres are pretty noisy themselves. The steering is pretty light and I didn't notice any weighing up at higher speeds, unlike my Pegasus whose steering gets heavier at higher speeds. It could be a concern for those who are not accustomed to the light steering for their cars.
Biggest disappointment was in the driving seat. While the driving, handling and road manners were excellent, the scene around me was the exact replica of the Brio - same ODO, same plastics quality, same seats. For a premium-ish diesel sedan (the Amaze VX i-DTEC is 9L OTR over here), it doesn't feel like a car which should command such a price, specially when interior quality is concerned. But then, the older DZire which was an age older, sold well despite the same shortcomings, so the Amaze doing well in monthly sales is no surprise.
Rest of the day went by in packing stuff and lazing about. I called Deepak at 3:15 PM and inquired about developments, and got the info that the accessories fittings were done, and Pegasus was receiving his top-ups and getting the checks done. He asked me to come by 4:30 and hopefully the washing would be done by then.
Instructing the hotel people to prepare our bill of stay, I left in the hotel van for the dealership at 4:30 PM. When I reached there, Pegasus was getting driven into his shower area! Shaking my head, I realised that it would taken them another hour at least. I went into the dealership to pass some time, and while sipping some nice coffee, had the chance to leaf through the latest official Honda pictorial in the lounge.
It was almost 5:30 PM when I got Pegasus's keys back with me, all work done and cleaning/polishing/paint touch-ups completed. The total bill came to around 18,300/-, details of which are posted below :-

Minor Paid Service - 825.85,
Complete Fuel Filler kit - 1747.35,
Accessory #1: Fog Lamp Garnish (Chrome) - 3438.24,
Accessory #2: Sporty Pedals (MT) - 2291.63,
Accessory #3: Interior Panel Illumination kit - 9156.71,
Accessories Fitting Charges - 842.70.

------------------

TOTAL - 18,302.48

------------------

Paid the bill and left the A.S.S. at 6 PM. They had taken at least two hours more than their scheduled time, but I had no other option. I dashed back to our hotel, paid the hotel bills, filled up petrol at the nearest bunk and left the capital at 7 PM. We had plenty of evening traffic for the first 100-or so kms, but after that it became pretty sparse. The night-sleeper buses started coming from 9 PM onwards, but otherwise, roads were almost light and bereft of traffic. We drove into our city at exactly 11:58 PM, and Pegasus was parked in his garage at 8 minutes past midnight. Again, I maintained speeds of around 80 kph in the 5th gear for the entire duration of our journey, and extended to around 90 for the final 100-km leg when Mom started to get restless (she hadn't eaten all day and was desperate to get back home). The FE for this return trip was 18.4 kmpl, a marginal drop from the forward trip because of the 90 kph stretch no doubt. Still, an excellent FE figure achieved.

Looking back, this time the service people were lazy. They had promised me a delivery of 4 PM which they extended to 5 PM because of the delay in washing, and finally that got extended by 30 more minutes. Two of the accessories were simple fittings and shouldn't have taken more time than usual, and I have to admit that the most time taken was for the interior panel illumination kit to be fitted. I told them to check all connections to the battery terminal to be doubly sure, since Pegasus had suffered from ill-fitted accessories before.

Current ODO reading - 7491 kms.

No pics from the dealership this time. But here are some pics of the accessories + ODO snaps.

The front looks slightly different and classy now, due to the chrome garnishes.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0386.jpg

Clear shot of the left fog-lamp casing. It's a direct fit over the OEM black plastic casing. Unlike it's fragile looks, it cannot be stolen easily. (fitted by clamps on both sides)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0387.jpg

The fuel-cap attachment which was broken, doesn't come separately. The entire fuel-cap assembly has to be changed, which was done.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0391.jpg

The sporty pedals. Wish it came in all-black, instead of all that chrome. Aids in better grip for the shoes.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_145322.jpg

The front passenger part of the Interior Illumination kit. Fills the cabin with a nice, relaxing orange tinge (gels perfectly with the orange back-lit interiors) during night time.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0393.jpg

(in the dark)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_211514.jpg

The small, central part of the Interior Illumination kit...

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0394.jpg

...and the third and last part of the kit, on the right side of the ODO.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_145256.jpg

(in the dark)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_211523.jpg

The Illumination is turned on/off together with the parking lights.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_145555.jpg

Summary of payments.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_173156.jpg

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_173215.jpg

Current ODO.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_145447.jpg

Current FE.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130509_145516.jpg

Ciao for now, guys! Will catch up with the next update.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th December 2013 at 20:30.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 07:45   #217
BHPian

Hola,

The orange hue lighting really looks great! But, 10K for those! Honda customers really need to have deep pockets when it comes to shelling out for accessories Mind posting another picture of how the entire dashboard now appears in the night ? Tuned in for more updates on the corrective paint job that will follow soon.

OT: Presuming, your mom is in better shape, now.

-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:50   #218
BHPian

Hey Avi,
The orange lighting looks cool in the dark.

Regarding the sporty pedals, looks like some of the rubber pads have fallen off ? Is it so. or is it some sort of screws to fit into the pedals ?

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:58   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
2nd Paid Service (5th overall) Report: (7180 kms)

Charges - Pretty much for all of them, except the paint touch-ups.

Minor Paid Service - 825.85,
Complete Fuel Filler kit - 1747.35,
Accessory #1: Fog Lamp Garnish (Chrome) - 3438.24,
Accessory #2: Sporty Pedals (MT) - 2291.63,
Accessory #3: Interior Panel Illumination kit - 9156.71,
Accessories Fitting Charges - 842.70.

TOTAL - 18,302.48

Ciao for now, guys! Will catch up with the next update.
Great info there and well written report as usual. Helps a lot to the prospective and existing owners of the City.

I loved all the photos. The Pegasus looks beautiful in every photo. You seem to be adding all the right stuff to the car to make it even more adorable. Keep it up.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 01:59   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hola,

The orange hue lighting really looks great! But, 10K for those! Honda customers really need to have deep pockets when it comes to shelling out for accessories Mind posting another picture of how the entire dashboard now appears in the night ? Tuned in for more updates on the corrective paint job that will follow soon.

OT: Presuming, your mom is in better shape, now.

-Shivang Gandotra
Thanks, Shivang. It was priced at 16K last year, but the prices for Honda accessories has come down a bit since then.

I went for it because of two reasons - 1) as lounge lighting inside the car, it imparts a lot of class to the interiors at night, and 2) the dim lighting helps me keep a check on my fellow passenger, which was impossible before in the near-dark cabin.

Will post a pic of the entire dashboard at night soon, if I can.

OT - Her prescribed meds are working for now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Hey Avi,
The orange lighting looks cool in the dark.

Regarding the sporty pedals, looks like some of the rubber pads have fallen off ? Is it so. or is it some sort of screws to fit into the pedals ?

Cheers
MKP
It looks really fab, MKP, and adds to the quality of the interiors at night. It doesn't look bad in the day either, since the whole 3-piece unit comes with fibreglass panels which look cool on the dashboard and adds some richness.

Regarding sporty pedals, those are the bits which are used to fix the pedal panels on the existing pads. The middle one (the brake pedal) is missing a bit (below). I guess it might have gotten loose during fitting and they had to remove it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will do some inquiries tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Great info there and well written report as usual. Helps a lot to the prospective and existing owners of the City.

I loved all the photos. The Pegasus looks beautiful in every photo. You seem to be adding all the right stuff to the car to make it even more adorable. Keep it up.
Thanks, Ajay my friend. One of these days I will post in detail about all the accessories I have fitted in Pegasus so far.

The showroom sales staffs come and check out Pegasus every time I visit the A.S.S. for service, commenting that I have not left any stone unturned to convert my Corporate Edition into the V-MT! (or maybe even better!)

On a more serious note, Pegasus is my first self-owned car so I want him to be as special as possible. I am pretty much stuck with official accessories and fittings because I have seen how pathetic the accessory guys outside the dealership are. Yes, the official accessories come at a price, but I don't have a choice.

Time to ask Honda Cars India to send me a special "Special Corporate Edition" sticker/badge eh?

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th May 2013 at 02:06.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:50   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

LIST OF ACCESSORIES FITTED IN SILVER PEGASUS SO FAR:

I have received 3-4 PMs asking to list all the accessories I have fitted in Pegasus till now.

The Honda City Corporate Edition is pretty much a bare-bones car, except for full safety features - Driver/Passenger Airbags, ABS + EBD, etc. I had a choice to either go for a higher variant with OEM stuff (either V MT or S MT) or go for a lower variant and splurge on accessories. I chose the latter since I had a choice of stuff which I could fit into my car, plus the OEM Head Unit on the S/V variants is really primitive.

So here's a detailed pictorial of all accessories (Official and Non-official) which adorn my Pegasus till now, along with their prices. I hope it serves as a good guide for those looking to accessorise-ing their Citys as well, although I am hearing that Honda Cars India has discontinued the Corporate Edition now (to clear assembly lines for the Honda Amaze), so my Pegasus is already an exclusive car!

Maybe I will procure an official "SE" badge for Pegasus in the near future.

OFFICIAL ACCESSORIES:

Front fog lamps [x 2] (Rs. 19,534/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0407.jpg

Fog lamp chrome garnishes [x 2] (Rs. 3,438/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0408.jpg

New V-MT Accord-ish Alloys [x 5] (Rs. 31,250/-, which is 6,250/- per alloy)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0409.jpg

Exhaust Pipe Finisher [x 1] (Rs. 2,637/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0413.jpg

Side-step Garnishes - Front Illuminated, Rear Non-Illuminated [x 2, x 2] (Rs. 10,117/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0415.jpg

Sporty Pedals MT Kit [3-piece] (Rs. 2,292/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0416.jpg

Interior Panel Illumination Kit [3-piece] (Rs. 9,157/-)

Entire dashboard. Over the glove box, between the steering column and the central console, and on the driver side.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0419.jpg

Passenger side, in the dark.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0447.jpg

Driver side Interior Panel illumination.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0444.jpg

Tyvek Car Cover [x 1] (Rs. 1,560/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0437.jpg

AFTER-MARKET ACCESSORIES

HEAD UNIT - Pioneer AVH-2490BT Touchscreen 2-DIN Head Unit (includes DVD/CD playback, Bluetooth w/ Mic, USB, Aux-in, FM/AM, Reverse Camera support) [x 1] (Rs. 22,790/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0448.jpg

FRONT DOORS - Focal Access 165 A1 Two-way component speakers + Tweeters [x 2, x 2] (Rs. 9,800/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120215-23.24.46_2.jpg

REAR DOORS - JBL GTO-S649C Two-Way Component Speakers + Tweeters [x 2, x 2] (Rs. 8,750/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_111424.jpg

Xenos Reverse Camera [x 1] (Rs. 2,500/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0414.jpg

Autoforum U-Impress Art Leather Dual Tone (Silver/Black) Seat Covers [3-piece set, with 3 extra pieces for 2 front headrests and rear armrest] (Rs. 7,275/-)

Front Seats.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0417.jpg

Rear Seat.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0418.jpg

Autocop Central Locking System. (Rs. 4,200/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0425.jpg

WheelDesign Pure Leather Steering Cover. (Rs. 400/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0429.jpg

Llumar Gold Series Opal-50 [x 2] (Rs. 3,800/-)

Rear windshield.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0431.jpg

Side windows.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0432.jpg

Llumar Diamond Series PP-70 [x 1, for the front windshield] (Rs. 3,350/-)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0434.jpg

Osram Night Breaker Plus 60/55W H4 Headlamp Bulbs [x 2] (1,050/-)

NB+ on left, OEM on right.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_155331.jpg

MODIFICATIONS

Body Paint Jobs (Rs. 3,200/-)

Door Handles [x 4] and outside Rear View Mirrors [x 2]

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0411.jpg

Mud Flaps. [x 4]

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0412.jpg

ON THE BURNER :-

1) 195/60/15 tyres - probably Michelin or Bridgestone. Will get it done at/after 10K kms, when tyre rotation is due.

2) Hella Horns - The stock OEM ones are woeful. Ordered.

3) Blue LED parking bulbs - Looks cool and is much brighter than OEM. Ordered.

4) Foot light - looks classy and is necessary, specially at nights. Ordered.

5) Door Guards - small ones which fit in the middle of doors.

6) Chrome Door Handles - possibly.

7) Reverse Sensors - need it for the corners, possibly for front as well.

8) DRLs - Definitely, maybe?

9) Projectors/HID kit - If I save enough moolah and time.

10) Anything else which catches my fancy!

Finally, a parting shot...

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0436.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th December 2013 at 20:47.
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:41   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATED THE REAR DOOR SPEAKERS

About a week back, when I was testing the output of all the speakers installed in Pegasus using the Fader option of the HU, I suddenly realised how fantastic the Focals sounded, in comparison to the almost-muted JBLs in the rear.

Despite the driver door Focal component+tweeter combination putting out a somewhat reduced sound (due to carbonised deposits in the wiring, as found out later), the single Focal component+tweeter combo of the front passenger side was actually sounding much better, clear, warmer and punchier than both the JBLs of the rear doors combined. Maybe it was because the rear JBLs were co-axials, I deduced. And there was a difference in quality and pricing as well. Naturally, the JBLs were performing according to the way they were priced.

Most of my online conversations (on Facebook, Twitter and elsewhere) plus a few trips to the ICE section and a few ownership threads made me re-think this. I decided I needed better sound, much better sound. And my friends who had some knowledge of ICE setups told me that in my case, I was better off going for an all-component setup, with/without a 4-channel amplifier. Can this be achieved without involving an amplifier, a subwoofer and/or a bass tube, I asked?

Well, only one way to find out.

Whatever free time I had during the evenings, I spent researching and taking demos of setups in the limited resource shops in my city. Sonys, Panasonics, JBLs, Rockfords, MTXs, Kickers, etc. all came a cropper as a suitable partner for my Focal Access pair. I finally decided to procure another pair of Access A1s for the rear door. Turned out that the Focal guy in the state capital was out of the country for the next 2 months.

One late night trip (sometime in the past two weeks) into the Team-BHP ICE section and enter, the JBL GTO 649s (in some thread, can't find it now). Did a bit of research and found out that they were more than decently specced (110 W RMS, 440 W peak), and produced excellent sound. There was none available in my city, so it had to be ordered from outside. My accessory guy, Vinay, assured me that if they turned out to disappoint me as well, he would find another customer for them and not to worry. Relieved, I told him to order them. All this happened last Wednesday, the 29th of May.

On Friday evening, the 649s arrived. It was my monthly closing day so I drove up to the shop on Saturday morning to get them fitted. Vinay had asked a new guy, Sunny, a freelancer who had previously worked with Sky Automobiles (Maruti's dealership) to do the fittings in our Ritz and I was impressed by his tidy work, so I insisted he be called over for this job as well. The two odd fellows of last year, who had pretty much ruined Pegasus's initial ICE setup, have been blacklisted by me.

Sunny has done a lot of work in Swifts and Vernas, so knows a thing or two about semi-complicated HU fittings. The HU fitting and speaker setup of the City is not exactly easy, and takes a bit of time (part of the reason why those two guys bungled up so much last year, mostly due to lack of experience in working with Citys) but for Sunny it was easy. Once he arrived, I explained everything to him (including how to pry open the central console of the City) and he heard out everything patiently. He asked Vinay to keep some 4-channel amplifiers ready, just in case my Pioneer HU lacked the juice to carry 4 components AND make them perform. Three 4-channel amplifiers - JBL, JVC and Sony - were kept ready for this.

First of all, he replaced the 265s of the rear doors with the 649s, and set the controller boxes of the components behind the plastic covering in the B-pillar (just above the seatbelt winders). That way, he could extend the tweeters under the floor and behind the rear seat panels. Initially, he wanted to fix the tweeters behind the rear head rests, but I felt the tweeters' output would get muffled and wasted, so we decided to fix them on the C-pillar, just above the rear headrests on either side, at an angle so that Tweeter A was angled towards rear passenger A, and Tweeter B was angled towards rear passenger B.

Once that was done, we tested the speakers. Wow, what wonderful sound flowed out! For almost all genres of music, the sound was completely blissful. We forgot for a few minutes that the Focal in the driver door was producing reduced sound. All of us agreed that we didn't need a separate amplifier for this setup. The Pioneer 2490 really had ample juice to support all 4 components, and make those babies sing brilliantly!

He then tackled the driver door, and soon found out the problem. The connector box of the Focal had been fitted inside the driver door itself (!) and every time Pegasus had been washed since then for the past 1 year, water had seeped through. This had caused slight rusting on the top of the screws of the connector box. He took the unit out and used a blade to scrap off the rust, reconnected the wiring and voila! The Focal was back to it's best, thumping away to glory! He also found out that the driver-side tweeter had been incorrectly connected straight to the HU, instead of the connector box, and rectified that as well. One final job to be done - move both Focal connector boxes to inside the car - the driver side one went behind the plastic near the bonnet lever, and the passenger side one was fixed behind the glove box.

Now, all speakers and tweeters were producing their own individual, wonderful, rich output. I put in the Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee music CD and leant back, eyes closed, to experience music nirvana like I do with my Sony HT at home.

At last.

The Focals had found a near-perfect pair of partners to complement them in their future music journey with Pegasus. As for me, I couldn't have been more pleased. Now, finally, my ICE journey is complete. It's not an earth-shattering setup, and I am sure there are much, much better car systems out there, but every time the doors shake and vibrate with each clean thump of my setup, it brings a completely satisfied smile to my face.

I had also ordered the Osram Night Breaker Plus H4 bulbs for my headlamps about a week back. They had arrived and were promptly replaced as well. Bye bye, blind-driving during dusks/dawns. Now I can tackle the highways in those times and at night in peace. (for a pic, see the post ^, before this one)

Summary of costs :-

JBL GTO 649Cs = 8,750/-,
Osram NightBreaker +s = 1,050/-,
Fitting Charges = 500/-,
Buy-back of JBL S265s = (-) 1000/-, (cost on March 2012 = 2,900/-)

-------------------------

TOTAL = 9,300/-

-------------------------

Here are the pictures. Enjoy.

The price tag.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_111721.jpg

The S649C.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_111424.jpg

The tweeter.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_130312.jpg

The B-pillar, target for the connector box.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_131715.jpg

The seat-belt motor.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_133157.jpg

Connector box fixed.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_133615.jpg

The GTO S649C getting fixed in the right rear door.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_140812.jpg

A glimpse of the Focal Access A1 of the driver door, after a year of use.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130601_152951.jpg

The rear tweeter over the rear passenger's head, angled towards him/her.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130602_110440.jpg

Current ODO reading.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0450.jpg

FE for all in-city driving.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-dscn0452.jpg

Next stop - to tick off, one-by-one, those 10 points on the burner which I had outlined at the end of the previous post above. Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th December 2013 at 20:59.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:35   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!

It's been awhile since I last updated this thread. Sorry, folks, but there's nothing to report when you have a maintenance-free, no-frills, no-fuss car in your garage (touchwood!).

Silver Pegasus continues it's royal existence in our boring life. He's been a loyal, faithful steed throughout the rainy season, which has started early this year (from mid-June) and has shown no signs of receding till now. We are receiving rains almost every day, and the last time we saw the sun shining was about a month back (maybe more).

Since the last update, it's been all in-city driving, mostly to office and back. I was getting an FE of 13.3 kpl inside the city for the past 300-odd kms, this with the AC on 100% of the time.

Meanwhile, I crossed the 8,000 km-mark a week back, on 6th August.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130806_125210.jpg

Today, I didn't have much work at office so decided to leave in the afternoon and give His Majesty a run to the border. It was an impulsive, on-the-spot decision for a mini-run, since I didn't want to be too late for my decidedly late lunch (hadn't informed my folks about this run either).

So, with dark clouds hovering all around me, I made a dash for the state border and back. How happy Silver Pegasus would be for this chance to stretch his legs!

The village bang in the middle of the state border of Chhattisgarh-Orissa is called Dhanpunji. Half of it is in CG, the other half is in Orissa. It's a sleepy little idyllic place, with farming as it's main source of income. Roads all around lead to plenty of tourist spots and picnic places, which divert from the National Highway here, and some of those spots are very popular specially for people in this area.

There was a sudden spell of rain in-between my 20 km-run, which cleared up by the time I reached Dhanpunji. In between, I had to slow down quite a number of times for stray cattle on the National Highway, and I could only get to open up the i-VTEC in 5th gear in short bursts only. The average speed I could maintain was not much over 80 kph.

I had some time to turn around and take a few pics (the greenery around me was enticing!), but the dark clouds overhead turned darker by the minute, as if telling me to hurry back before they struck down with all their fury.

I was a bit late in reading them as well.

By the time I reached halfway back in my return journey, the heavens opened up and there was a HUGE shower which literally blinded the road in front of me. I noticed many cars had stopped by the side, apparently not risking the near-blind visibility. But I have driven through these rains many times before, so they weren't a problem for me. The music pounded through the car speakers as I cruised back into my city at a steady speed of 60-65 kph on 4th gear, and by that time the heavy downpour had slowed down to a steady drizzle.

I noticed one annoying thing in my return drive, which is becoming fairly common for this rainy season traffic - most drivers, if not all, are driving through the rains with their emergency blinkers on!

Is this a new fad, or a new traffic rule passed of which I have no idea, or a new trend which has caught up?

I was the only fool who was driving through the rains with my fog lamps/lowered headlamps on. Everyone else had their blinkers on, ONLY. Maybe I need to study that traffic laws book again, for any/all new changes or modifications in recent times (insert sarcastic look on face here).

The inter-state boundary in the border village.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144230.jpg

Chhattisgarh Tourism welcoming you.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144447.jpg

Look at the greenery out in the countryside! Nothing beats the smell of fresh, green grass in the rainy season.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144642.jpg

The road ahead, leading towards my city.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144657.jpg

Silver Pegasus against the backdrop of the village buildings.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144712.jpg

My favorite shot.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_144821.jpg

The guide in front, telling us where everything around us is.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_145455.jpg

And now the downpour starts!
Wipers on at full blast, no traffic, almost blind visibility. (credit to the camera for taking a much clearer shot than it actually was!)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_150115.jpg

FE for this short run of 40-odd kms, AC on 100%. (mind you this wasn't for any constant speeds or RPM)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_151338.jpg

Back in the city.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_153317.jpg

A few customary rain shots in my garage.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_155351.jpg

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_155405.jpg

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20130812_155420.jpg

Current ODO reading - 8058 kms.

Ciao for now!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th December 2013 at 21:11.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:51   #224
BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!

Great looking pictures of the beauty bud. And congrats on reaching the 8k mark. I am yet to reach the 5k mark. Hopefully should reach it by next month.
How would you rate the sound quality now after changing the rear speakers. I am still with the OEM's and satisfied with my setup. But I may change the HU, just to have the rear camera setup integrated with the HU.

Will we be able to trade in the OEM HU and Speakers for new ones ?
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 19:23   #225
BHPian

Avinash the love and affection that you have for your Honda is amazing.

As for me, I constantly want to get rid of this car and buy a Jeep or a Mahindra Bolero.

But when I start the car next day...I am like "Oh Baby you is so good".

Amazing the way you have worshiped Peagusus.
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed