Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 15:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Silver Pegasus - 2012 Honda City CE - Updated Index & all Accessories Listed

Congrats on your possession RavenAvi !!! Yours is THE thread amongst Ownership reviews I must say.
I wonder that with so many additions, did you really save anything by not going for a higher variant. Secondly if you really like Black interiors then its ok otherwise I am sure your family would have preferred Beige interiors if given choice.
The two advantages you get from CE is matching HU display colour tone with speedo console and Black interiors (if you prefer over Beige). But if you go for CE just for VFM and then make it fully loaded, I find it not advisable due to waiting periods and hassle it involves. But they are my personal views. And not to mention, I prefer Black over Beige.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 21:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Silver Pegasus - 2012 Honda City CE - Updated Index & all Accessories Listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Congrats on your possession RavenAvi !!! Yours is THE thread amongst Ownership reviews I must say.
I wonder that with so many additions, did you really save anything by not going for a higher variant. Secondly if you really like Black interiors then its ok otherwise I am sure your family would have preferred Beige interiors if given choice.
The two advantages you get from CE is matching HU display colour tone with speedo console and Black interiors (if you prefer over Beige). But if you go for CE just for VFM and then make it fully loaded, I find it not advisable due to waiting periods and hassle it involves. But they are my personal views. And not to mention, I prefer Black over Beige.
Thank you so much for the kind words, carwatcher.

Actually, black interiors was an unanimous choice. In the exact words of Dad:

"Kya aaj kal ke log sirf cream aur chrome ke peeche bhag rahe hai? Saste se leke mehenga gaadi, sab me cream aur chrome! Bahar se chocolaty color, aur andar cream aur chrome! Hamare zamane me motorcycles me black aur cars me white raja color mana jaata tha! Andar ghuste saath greyish interiors wah! Balki tumhare silver color ki car me black interiors class lagta hai. Jo bhi dekhega yahi sochega ki kuch different hai, isliye jarur mehenga hoga!"

Translated - Why does everyone today run after cream (he calls biege/golden as "cream") and chrome? From the cheapest to the costliest of cars, all are full of cream and chrome! A select chocolate-y color on the outside, and cream/chrome inside! In our time, black color on motorcycles and white color on cars were considered royal colors. Enter the car and you are greeted with nice greyish interiors. Actually, your silver colored car has a classy combination with black interiors. Anyone who sees it will think that it's different from the trend, so it must be costlier!

Wife loves the all-blacks. Mom has no complaints either. I have always been partial to the all-black as well.

As regards savings, let's do a bit of comparison.

Corporate vs S MT (the next VFM offering in the City range) :-

Price - 8,39,000/-
RTO Charges - 58,730/-
Logistics - 4,500/-
Temporary Registration - 1,000/-
Insurance - 23,836/-
Zero Dep Add-on - 5,623/-
Extended Warranty - 6,200/-
Roadside Assistance - 4,000/-

Total - 9,42,889/-

Add about 22K for the fog lamps and the Exhaust Pipe Finisher and the final OTR comes to ~9.65L (assuming).

My Pegasus :-

OTR with Temp Registration - 8,24,970/- + 50,050/- (RTO) + 36,170/- (ICE) = 9,11,190/-

What I lose - Steering mounted audio controls, 5-spoke alloys, OEM HU + 4 Speakers, driver seat height adjuster (lever type), Keyless entry, Front armrest, Cupholder in rear armrest, vanity mirror, coat hanger, seat pocket on passenger seat, plus an overdose of chrome/silver treatment and beige interiors.

What I gain - A latest touchscreen Pioneer HU, Focals & JBLs, illuminated side-step garnishes, the new 10-spoke alloys, all-black interiors, and ~54K as savings in my pocket.

Now you tell me, which one is the better deal?

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th March 2012 at 21:20.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 09:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Update for the FE fanatics - Pegasus ran through his first near-tankful of petrol yesterday evening. 676 kms on 40 liters, which showed an overall mileage of 16.9 kpl.

Pretty impressive, considering that out of the 676 kms travelled, about 165 kms was inside the city, cruising mostly at 20-25 kmph in the 2nd gear and 35-40 kmph in the 3rd (at those speeds the "ECO" indicator gets activated). The rest was on open roads in the highway with average speeds of about 65-70. I managed to touch 120 when we were returning from a short trip, and I must say I am amazed by the effortless pull Pegasus achieved. He was hungry for more but sanity prevailed and I returned back to 75-80.

Tanked him up yet again. Let's see what the next 700-odd kms bring to the table.

With 4 people and a baby on board, we went over 10-12 moderately-sized speed breakers yesterday (and a few small ones over which I let him roll instead of slowing down). I am happy to report that Pegasus didn't scrape, not even once. A testimony to the stiffened suspension and the increased GC of the new 2012 City.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th March 2012 at 09:34. Reason: forgot to add about GC
Old 12th March 2012, 10:21   #49
BHPian

Hi RA,

Congratulations, enjoy the IVTEC and drive safe.

Those FE figures are amazing, it's all the way you drive.

I had a chance to drive the new version last week, boy 5mm made a lot of difference. Ingress, Egress seemed ease, potholes and humps seemed nothing to bother.

With the same wheel base, how did Honda managed this? or is it changed?

I loved the center console, wish to change on my SMT, SA is expected to call me with a quote, that's the first thing I would do, OVRM to follow.
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 13:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi RA,

Congratulations, enjoy the IVTEC and drive safe.

Those FE figures are amazing, it's all the way you drive.

I had a chance to drive the new version last week, boy 5mm made a lot of difference. Ingress, Egress seemed ease, potholes and humps seemed nothing to bother.

With the same wheel base, how did Honda managed this? or is it changed?

I loved the center console, wish to change on my SMT, SA is expected to call me with a quote, that's the first thing I would do, OVRM to follow.
Thanks, Raghu. Went through your paint-job pics yesterday. Super work!

Yes the FE is mind-boggling. I got reports from everyone around me that it won't give more than 12 kpl inside city and 15-16 at best on highways, but now I am experiencing the superb efficiency of the i-VTEC first-hand. Now, to test out it's power & performance as soon as the first two services are done.

More than the 5 mm tweak, I think it has more to do with the stiffened-up suspension. A softer suspension @ 165 mm will still scrape. The Honda guys have done a really commendable job addressing this one weakness of the City. Pretty sure it's the same wheel base of old, just stiffened up nicely.

If the center console matches the old one, there shouldn't be a problem. Are you going for the ORVMs with the turn indicators? If yes then do post an update about it's fitment. I am thinking of getting that done as well.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks, Raghu. Went through your paint-job pics yesterday. Super work!

Yes the FE is mind-boggling. I got reports from everyone around me that it won't give more than 12 kpl inside city and 15-16 at best on highways, but now I am experiencing the superb efficiency of the i-VTEC first-hand.

Are you going for the ORVMs with the turn indicators? If yes then do post an update about it's fitment. I am thinking of getting that done as well.
Tankful method and filling up only at SHELL I get:
  • 12-12.5 kmpl in the city (50% AC, fast launches especially when I shift to 2nd gear)
  • and 14.5-15 kmpl on the highway (100% AC, maintain speeds of 90-130kph, includes 20% winding Ghat roads).
  • In expressway with proper exits and no speed breakers or Ghat roads I get 16-16.5 kmpl

The kmpl reading displayed in the car is usually enthusiastic by 0.4-0.5 kmpl

The Honda OVRMS with turn indicators apparently cost 15,000 when I recently checked with the Honda ***, they basically will replace the entire OVRM unit. Can't just get the OVRM ABS Plastic cowl with the LED indicators.

I recently picked up a Sakura OVRM turn lights in Bangkok, they costed around 3k INR and I heard similar ones are available with some accessories dealers in India.

Last edited by bharatbs : 12th March 2012 at 18:36.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 20:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs
The Honda OVRMS with turn indicators apparently cost 15,000 when I recently checked with the Honda ***, they basically will replace the entire OVRM unit. Can't just get the OVRM ABS Plastic cowl with the LED indicators.

I recently picked up a Sakura OVRM turn lights in Bangkok, they costed around 3k INR and I heard similar ones are available with some accessories dealers in India.
One more challenge; due to just one wire out for the indicator; even if you change to ORVM indicators; either the one or one on the front fender panel can work. That's what I got to know from my SA. Check before plonking in your money. A non glowing panel indicator would look weird and there may be a safety hazard as well; unless one changes both the panels too! Or use a relay for splitting the output but not sure if that's a good idea and how would that look.

Last edited by nitin.rai : 12th March 2012 at 20:40.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
One more challenge; due to just one wire out for the indicator; even if you change to ORVM indicators; either the one or one on the front fender panel can work. That's what I got to know from my SA. Check before plonking in your money. A non glowing panel indicator would look weird and there may be a safety hazard as well; unless one changes both the panels too! Or use a relay for splitting the output but not sure if that's a good idea and how would that look.
That's the usual BS you hear from Honda so that you get done through them. I went to the Honda Service Station and the works manager came up with the line that they only install accessories supplied by them. Later he wanted Rs 800 to come home and install it.

The Sakura lights have both parking (white led) and turn indicators (orange led) I installed it at EVO, Bangalore. They connected it (spliced and properly secured with 3M tape) to the parking light and the turn indicators and everything works fine.

I researched on the net and saw a few DIY on Civics in the US, so I was reasonably aware of the risk. The worst that can happen is a blown fuse due to shorting.
bharatbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 21:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs

The Sakura lights have both parking (white led) and turn indicators (orange led) I installed it at EVO, Bangalore. They connected it (spliced and properly secured with 3M tape) to the parking light and the turn indicators and everything works fine.

I researched on the net and saw a few DIY on Civics in the US, so I was reasonably aware of the risk. The worst that can happen is a blown fuse due to shorting.
Cool, now that you have done it; am sure others can safely adopt.
PS: why not remove one of the battery terminals while doing the installation? May save the shock & the fuse too.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Tankful method and filling up only at SHELL I get:
  • 12-12.5 kmpl in the city (50% AC, fast launches especially when I shift to 2nd gear)
  • and 14.5-15 kmpl on the highway (100% AC, maintain speeds of 90-130kph, includes 20% winding Ghat roads).
  • In expressway with proper exits and no speed breakers or Ghat roads I get 16-16.5 kmpl
The kmpl reading displayed in the car is usually enthusiastic by 0.4-0.5 kmpl

Those figures sound just about right, bharatbs. Speeds of around 70-80 kph on 5th gear on highways will give marginally more FE, so the mileage you are getting is pretty good for the speeds (is it over 3K RPM? That's when the i-VTEC kicks in). Taking the FE meter correction into consideration, it's still a pretty good FE figure, and right up there with the diesels in the same capacity, IMO.

If only this fuel wasn't the costlier one!

For this turn indicator ORVMs, wouldn't they have to lay down the entire wiring as well? Or is the electrically adjustable wiring + turn indicator wiring good enough? Sounds like a complicated job to me.

Those Sakuras look nice and funky. How do they look at night? Are they bright enough? Do post some night time pics of them in action, please.

Quote:
That's what my dealer told me as well. Hence I didn't go for the job rightaway.

Quote:
That's the usual BS you hear from Honda so that you get done through them. I went to the Honda Service Station and the works manager came up with the line that they only install accessories supplied by them. Later he wanted Rs 800 to come home and install it.

Sounds like a pretty neat install. Have you posted it somewhere? Do provide a link if you have. Let me see if I can source this from my local guys.

Quote:
Cool, now that you have done it; am sure others can safely adopt.
PS: why not remove one of the battery terminals while doing the installation? May save the shock & the fuse too.
The electrician might need it for testing while he connects the stuff. True that it would save the hassle of a shorting and a blown fuse.

--------------

A few more updates - got a call from my dealer that the 10-spoke "Accord"-ish alloys (on the new V MTs) have arrived. I might visit them in the first week of April to get the work done, and get the first service out of the way. Exhaust Pipe Finisher still hasn't arrived yet.

Also, I finalised the Llumars and ordered them yesterday. They will arrive tomorrow and I shall get them done by tomorrow evening. 70% for the front windshield, and 50% for the 4 windows and rear windshield. Should keep some of this intense heat away, which has just begun to start around here. I'll see how effective it is, then take a decision on the fitment of the Art Leather set.

And, as promised to the guys who PMed me, here are some night shots:-

(pardon the quality of pics, all taken by my Blackberry Curve)

The front side-step illuminated garnish at night. (pic taken with flash)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031300054.jpg

The illuminated garnish with it's glow. (pic taken without flash)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031300055.jpg

A close shot of the illuminated AC knobs and dials.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031300060.jpg

How the illumination of the AC knobs matches with the Pioneer HU.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031300059.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th December 2013 at 17:50.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Those figures sound just about right, bharatbs.

For this turn indicator ORVMs, wouldn't they have to lay down the entire wiring as well? Or is the electrically adjustable wiring + turn indicator wiring good enough? Sounds like a complicated job to me.

Those Sakuras look nice and funky. How do they look at night? Are they bright enough? Do post some night time pics of them in action, please.
Forgot to mention I am running R15 195/60 tyres.

In terms of mirror turn indicator light wiring, there are basically three wires; red for turn indicator light, grey for parking light and black for grounding. It is cakewalk for any experienced car electrician.

They will run the wires from the mirror into the door and then through the black plastic wire enclosure to the from fender where the turn indicators and parking lights are present. Nothing will be visible from outside.

Here is the DIY I referred, but here they wire it into the fuse box (my electrician did not agree to do that, saying he may accidentally blow a fuse): DIY: Turn Signal Mirrors - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

This is how the Sakura lights look like:

bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 19:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is how the Sakura lights look like:
They look perfect!

Thanks for the heads-up, bharat. Let me see if I can source this.

-----------------

Well, summer's already started to knock on spring's doors, and the days in March are hotting up. Initially, I was pretty confident that Pegasus's tinted windows will give summer a nice fight, but it was fighting a losing battle. Time for Pegasus to get the tints, which I had initially scratched from my accessory list.

Enter - Llumar. It was either that or Garware, and everyone knows which one would have been the unanimous choice between the two.

70% for the front windscreen, and 50% for the rest, as I read in a recommendation thread in T-BHP. So, here we go :-

Llumar Diamond Series PP-70. One large single-piece film for the entire front windshield.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031600065.jpg

Llumar Gold Series Opal-50 for the 4 door-windows and the rear windshield. (Sorry, the pic is a bit blurred)

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031600068.jpg

Sun film gets unwrapped.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-13.05.15_2.jpg

Measurements taken to cut according to the window sizes.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-13.06.55_2.jpg

Setting up measurements for the front passenger window's sun film.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-13.22.53_2.jpg

It's stuck and measured from the outside for the dimensions and cutting, before the film is actually permanently stuck from the inside. Same is done for the rest of the 3 windows.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-13.24.37_2.jpg

For the front windshield, the setup is a bit different. Since it's a huge single piece which has to be stuck from the inside, at least 2 people are needed to do the job. Even the slightest bit of mis-organised setting and the entire sun film could be rendered useless.

Film set on outside first for measurements.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-18.02.59_2.jpg

Cutting according to the windshield glass area.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-18.03.28_2.jpg

Lots of spraying and cleaning the front windshield from inside. The thin layer of plastic is taken off, and the film is set up carefully by 2 people.

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-20120316-18.14.35_2.jpg

Yes, even sun films come with Warranty Cards!

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031700069.jpg

For those who are interested in the various Warranty Periods of the different qualities of Llumar sun-film, refer to the top left on the card (the red print).

2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!-img2012031700073.jpg

Time taken for the job :-

30 minutes for each door's window.

2½ hours for the front windscreen.

About 1½ hour for the rear windscreen (5 cut rolls set neatly, one-by-one without any gap)

Total time spent = around 7 hours (taking rest gaps into consideration)

Damages :-

Front windscreen (Llumar Diamond Series PP-70) = 3150/-
For the rest (Llumar Gold Series Opal-50) = 3900/-
Labour charges = 500/-
TOTAL = 7550/- (and one entire day off from office work)

The sun film has proved to be very effective. It was a hot day today but the AC blower at position "2" and fan at "2" were good enough to cool the cabin quickly (previously the fan was at "3" and AC at "4"), and after that I went down to AC "1" which maintained the cool effect inside the cabin. So much respite from the heat!

As for the ambience inside the cabin after sun film install, it's pretty bright and airy. In fact, it will take someone a second or two to realise sun film work has been done in the car. The best place to be is the rear seat, soaking up the cool effect and relaxing through a drive.

From outside, the tinted windows are very apparent. They are of a rather yellowish-red tint (if you put your hand on the other side to see), and are very effective. For anyone on a modest budget for sun film for their cars, I can happily recommend Llumar.

--------------------

After office work today (and it being a Saturday), I decided to let Pegasus stretch his legs. He has been riding quietly through the city for about a week now, so it was time he was given a free flight.

Destination - a border town called Kotpad in Orissa, about half an hour's drive from Jagdalpur. (about 35 kms)

Roads - Open (mostly), smooth in CG, slightly uneven in Orissa, combined with winding through 5-6 moderately populated small towns.

Time taken - 65 minutes (to and fro).

Distance - 82 kms. (from office, to Kotpad, till back home)

Top speed - 140+! (I didn't realise it until I glanced at the speedo, and quickly sanity prevailed).

Average speed - 80 kph.

FE - 18.6 kpl.

Yes, the top speed had me astounded for a minute. Boy, can Pegasus fly or what!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th December 2013 at 18:00.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:56   #58
BHPian

Avi,

What a fantastic review!! I was choked with emotion reading your story which is so full of passion.

Hearty congrats Mate on the great acquisition

You have begun another great thread on the City. Looking forward to great reading experience.

Self in Colombo right now-unwinding with family on the way back home after my tenure of sailing.

Will read your post extensively once home (22nd March) and pour more words of well deserved praise in due course.

Have a great ownership experience and please do entertain us more with your really gifted writing style.

With lots of appreciation,

charthom.

Last edited by charthom : 17th March 2012 at 20:58.
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 21:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Avi,

Self in Colombo right now-unwinding with family on the way back home after my tenure of sailing.
Mate, it's been long since we have heard from you. Glad to you know you are going to be active once again at bhp.

Wonder how many of us have been inspired by your thread.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 21:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Mate, it's been long since we have heard from you. Glad to you know you are going to be active once again at bhp.

Wonder how many of us have been inspired by your thread.
Arup,

Can't wait to rush home. I have access to internet now-so jumped onto T BHP first thing.

Colombo is amazing and Sri Lankan car scene is a revelation!! The old City is running here with the name Aria. New City is not available-but the hybrid Insight is a common sight.

Thanks for your kind words about my thread. I am really humbled. I promise to make sincere efforts not to disappoint you.

Lots of love,

charthom.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks