Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 19:34   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Great looking pictures of the beauty bud. And congrats on reaching the 8k mark. I am yet to reach the 5k mark. Hopefully should reach it by next month.
How would you rate the sound quality now after changing the rear speakers. I am still with the OEM's and satisfied with my setup. But I may change the HU, just to have the rear camera setup integrated with the HU.

Will we be able to trade in the OEM HU and Speakers for new ones ?
Thanks, my friend.

Sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Whether low volumes or high, the JBLs perform beautifully and are complimenting the Focals superbly. At times I feel they are actually outperforming the Focals, to my pleasant surprise.

Whether it be ghazals/instrumentals at low volume, or bass-heavy modern tracks, R&Bs, metal at loud/super-loud levels, all 8 speakers pour out absolute bliss - the lows are really low and rumbly, the mids crystal-clear, and the highs are just about that perfectly bright, just the way I would want them to. All this, without a dedicated amplifier or a sub-woofer in my setup!

The best moments for me are those in the evening, with the orange-reddish sun setting in the distance, and the HU playing Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee tracks. I can't describe those moments in words.

At their price points, I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending both the Focals and the JBLs. I am very pleased with my setup. Full marks to the Pioneer HU as well.

I don't think they will trade the OEM HU or speakers at those accessory shops. See if you can sell the HU outside to someone who has a City and needs it.
More so the speakers. You will get nothing from them, and they will suggest to you to throw them away.

I was lucky in trading my older rear speakers (JBL 265s) with my guy because he himself had installed them, and said he always had taxi operators/Bolero drivers asking for decent speakers so he will be able to sell them off. Plus, they were in excellent condition except for a layer of dust which was easily polished off. One of the benefits of living in a small city in the middle of rural land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Avinash the love and affection that you have for your Honda is amazing.

As for me, I constantly want to get rid of this car and buy a Jeep or a Mahindra Bolero.

But when I start the car next day...I am like "Oh Baby you is so good".

Amazing the way you have worshiped Peagusus.
Thank you so much, Nandu sir.

Indeed, I have to agree with your sentiment. Nothing can beat that smile on my face the moment Pegasus purrs into life, eager to be driven. It's been almost a year and a half since he rode into my life, but even today I feel like a giddy, excited schoolboy holding a shiny, new toy every time I start him up. The ride quality, the growl of the i-VTEC at high speeds, and that very addictive WHOOSH! when the VTEC kicks in...oh boy!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th August 2013 at 19:45.
Old 13th August 2013, 13:31   #227
BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City - Silver Pegasus - A journey of absolute bliss! EDIT : Now SOLD!

Avi, kudos at not only updating the bible but keeping us interested enough in reading them.

And those lush green fields aahhh...that's a luxury for the urban dwellers. If you add the beautiful tarmacs and vtec music, its simply joy personified.

I envy you. Keep Revving !!!
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:08   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks, my friend.

Sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Whether low volumes or high, the JBLs perform beautifully and are complimenting the Focals superbly. At times I feel they are actually outperforming the Focals, to my pleasant surprise.

All this, without a dedicated amplifier or a sub-woofer in my setup!

I don't think they will trade the OEM HU or speakers at those accessory shops. See if you can sell the HU outside to someone who has a City and needs it.
More so the speakers. You will get nothing from them, and they will suggest to you to throw them away.
Glad to hear about the sound quality. I am tempted now to hear how your HU and speakers perform against my stock. IMHO, City's stock setup is too good for me. Never ever felt this quality of sound in any of the cars I have personally travelled.
Sad we cannot trade the stock HU and speakers. I am relocating to the city by this month end and would be accessible to most of the accessory shops. Will pay a visit and get their suggestions.

How about the rear parking camera, does it come with the sensors too?
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 17:15   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Arup my friend.

Quote:
Glad to hear about the sound quality. I am tempted now to hear how your HU and speakers perform against my stock.
I'll see if I can make a youtube video of a live demo and link it here. Although a recorded video won't do justice to the setup's live performance.

Quote:
How about the rear parking camera, does it come with the sensors too?
Xenos is my recommendation, although there are quite a few available from different companies right now. If you are getting one, make sure it has night vision. It's often mentioned in the pack.

Nope, sensors don't come with a reverse camera. You have to buy them separately. If you have to choose one between both of them, I recommend the camera. Sensors have a tendency to fail during the rains or when they get wet, and many a time they blow out and need to be replaced.

No such issues with the camera, and it helps immensely with it's wide view behind you, from (nearly) bumper to bumper (I read somewhere that the viewing angle is 170°).
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 17:38   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Although a recorded video won't do justice to the setup's live performance.
Agree!! Need to hear them live to feel the bliss.

Quote:
Nope, sensors don't come with a reverse camera. You have to buy them separately. If you have to choose one between both of them, I recommend the camera. Sensors have a tendency to fail during the rains or when they get wet, and many a time they blow out and need to be replaced.
This is quite an eye opener. I was under the impression that the sensors do justice than the camera. But definitely missed how would they perform during rain.

Quote:
No such issues with the camera, and it helps immensely with it's wide view behind you, from (nearly) bumper to bumper (I read somewhere that the viewing angle is 170°).
2.5k is just for the camera right? In my case, either I need to replace my Stock HU to a bigger screen which can act as the camera monitor or go for a separate monitor or the monitor cum IRVM. Any thought on this?
Old 16th August 2013, 12:32   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2.5k is just for the camera right? In my case, either I need to replace my Stock HU to a bigger screen which can act as the camera monitor or go for a separate monitor or the monitor cum IRVM. Any thought on this?
Yep, and that was a year back. Check your local shops for current prices.

Either go for an integrated HU like Pioneer/JVC or get a MapMyIndia/Garmin unit which has integrated reverse camera support (if you don't want to change your current OEM HU). I suggest the integrated HU if you are not too keen on navigation units, because you get an all-in-one device, plus the dash doesn't look too cluttered.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:44   #232
BHPian

All,

I took the possession of a new Honda City V AT last Friday (16th) and I am looking forward to some inputs from you on maintaining this car. I know a lot has been said and done in this forum, but I need a small consolidated lists of Do's and Don'ts until 10K kms. I also want to know the accessories that I need to fit in the car to augment factory supplied fittings. Kindly point me to the right posts, or post the inputs here..

Thanks.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 21st August 2013 at 16:45. Reason: Typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 17:37   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, and that was a year back. Check your local shops for current prices.

Either go for an integrated HU like Pioneer/JVC or get a MapMyIndia/Garmin unit which has integrated reverse camera support (if you don't want to change your current OEM HU). I suggest the integrated HU if you are not too keen on navigation units, because you get an all-in-one device, plus the dash doesn't look too cluttered.
This is my present need.
Navigation System. Currently using Sygic/GMaps on my S3, but I need to power it up always to let battery stay.
Reverse sensors and Cam.
Headlights
Horns

For my Navigation system, which one should be apt.
Leave the HU, purchase a Navigation system monitor which can be used as reverse cam monitor or is there an HU which can control and have this all features?
If there is an HU like that, then can I use them with my stock speakers? Wise move or unnecessary?
How do you find the difference of our stock and NB+ throw of light?
Which horn have you ordered for? Same like our stock or the trumpet ones ?

Yesterday my City reached the 5k mark while returning from Chilkur Balaji Temple. Giving a constant FE of 13-15KM

Last edited by dre@ms : 21st August 2013 at 17:38.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:07   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
All,

I took the possession of a new Honda City V AT last Friday (16th) and I am looking forward to some inputs from you on maintaining this car. I know a lot has been said and done in this forum, but I need a small consolidated lists of Do's and Don'ts until 10K kms. I also want to know the accessories that I need to fit in the car to augment factory supplied fittings. Kindly point me to the right posts, or post the inputs here..

Thanks.
First of all, hearty congratulations bsdbsd!

The City AT is a great choice - frugal bulletproof engine, paddle shifts, a fantastic drive inside the city and on the highways plus all the features you can get on the top variant.

Welcome to the City club as well.

A few City AT ownership threads for you to go through:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...st-petrol.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...da-city-v.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-400-kms.html

My special recommendation is this one, mdsaab's fantastic City AT thread (bookmark it, if you can) - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...onda-city.html

As for do's and don'ts, just take it easy for the first 1000 kms. Ease in the engine by exposing it to all gears for equal times (if you can), and don't go past 2.5K-3K for that period. Try to keep the iVTEC beast under 100 kph, if you can.

Most cars these days come properly run-in from the factory itself, so don't worry too much about baby-ing the engine.

Yours is the top AT variant, so I wouldn't worry much about accessories just yet. It comes with most bells & whistles which the top variant carries, but if you are feeling the absolute need, you might want to think of a BT kit to take those calls on the move, and/or a navigation kit, if you are an extensive highway traveller.

As regards external accessories, see if you can upgrade the tyres to 195/60s, preferably Primacy LC (for riding comfort) or ER 60 (for longevity). I hope you got Michelins as OEMs, if not MRFs.

Secondly, I would suggest upgrading the headlamp bulbs as well. The stock ones are woeful. Philips/Osram have some great stuff at the OEM wattage specs - see if you can procure some from your local shops.

I would suggest keeping the car stock for at least a year. Just go out and enjoy it till then. You can add stuff later one by one as the times goes by.

Enjoy your car. Happy revving and drive safe, my friend!

Quote:
This is my present need.
Navigation System. Currently using Sygic/GMaps on my S3, but I need to power it up always to let battery stay.
Reverse sensors and Cam.
Headlights
Horns

For my Navigation system, which one should be apt.
Leave the HU, purchase a Navigation system monitor which can be used as reverse cam monitor or is there an HU which can control and have this all features?
If there is an HU like that, then can I use them with my stock speakers? Wise move or unnecessary?
How do you find the difference of our stock and NB+ throw of light?
Which horn have you ordered for? Same like our stock or the trumpet ones ?

Yesterday my City reached the 5k mark while returning from Chilkur Balaji Temple. Giving a constant FE of 13-15KM
Just get the reverse camera. You won't feel the need for the sensors after that. Trust me.

Check the Pioneer/JVC sites for an integrated HU which meets your needs. I think Blaupunkt has a HU (New York?) which integrates all functions into the HU. Then again, you can go the Caska/Motevo route but I wouldn't suggest that unless you are big on Chinese stuff.

If you think stock speakers are good enough, keep them. They can be used with a new HU, no problem.

The NB+s are slightly better than stock, but I haven't driven in the rains at night yet so yet to check that out. In dry weather at night conditions, the NB+s are definitely better.

I am thinking of going for a pair of Stebel Nautilus horns, if I can procure them. If not, I'll pick up a pair of Hellas. The OEM pair is too meek, IMO.

Congrats on the milestone. That's some super FE you are getting. Keep revvin' and crunching those miles!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st August 2013 at 18:09.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:22   #235
BHPian

Quote:

The City AT is a great choice - frugal bulletproof engine, paddle shifts, a fantastic drive inside the city and on the highways plus all the features you can get on the top variant.
RavenAvi, I am floored by your response. Many thanks for your kind words and inputs. You just equipped me will all the information that I was looking for to tame this beast. In decent city traffic, this car is a pleasure to drive. In Bangalore traffic though, driving this car is a nightmare, especially that I am not used to bigger dimensions. I will go through the links you have posted and ask further questions. Glad to be a part of City community. Isnt it funny though that when all is said and done, there will always be a newbie starting over? Well, here I am!

Last edited by bsdbsd : 21st August 2013 at 18:30. Reason: typo
Old 21st August 2013, 20:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked this one out dre@ms?
http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/avn-...buy-and-review
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:22   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Just get the reverse camera. You won't feel the need for the sensors after that. Trust me.
Ok, will look out for a cam which has a wide view

Quote:
The NB+s are slightly better than stock, but I haven't driven in the rains at night yet so yet to check that out. In dry weather at night conditions, the NB+s are definitely better.
Which one would be the best for our city?

Quote:
I am thinking of going for a pair of Stebel Nautilus horns, if I can procure them. If not, I'll pick up a pair of Hellas. The OEM pair is too meek, IMO.
Do let me know if you were able to source them. And I believe it should be just a plug and play thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Have you checked this one out dre@ms?
http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/avn-...buy-and-review
Cheers,
Deepak
Looks impressive, but fixing this will I be able to still use my steering mounted controllers ?
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:30   #238
BHPian

Quote:

Yours is the top AT variant, so I wouldn't worry much about accessories just yet. It comes with most bells & whistles which the top variant carries, but if you are feeling the absolute need, you might want to think of a BT kit to take those calls on the move, and/or a navigation kit, if you are an extensive highway traveller.

As regards external accessories, see if you can upgrade the tyres to 195/60s, preferably Primacy LC (for riding comfort) or ER 60 (for longevity). I hope you got Michelins as OEMs, if not MRFs.

Secondly, I would suggest upgrading the headlamp bulbs as well. The stock ones are woeful. Philips/Osram have some great stuff at the OEM wattage specs - see if you can procure some from your local shops.
RavenAvi + All other Honda gurus, please help me in understanding more about the tyres(tires?). Honda has given me MRFs. Is this a concern? I dont know much about tyres, so I could not understand the terminology (195/60) etc. Should I do this now or later? Will this void my warranty? What is meant by ER 60? Which company? Sorry for asking so many questions.

When I start the car in the morning it goes up to 2k rev for a second, and stabilizes at 1.2k. After a period of time it is settling at 750. Is this normal? Also, AT surges in the morning once I take my foot off the pedal and becomes more sedate 5-10 mins into the drive. All ok here?

If I use the AC at '1' speed, will it exact a toll on engine? Are higher fans speeds better?

What should be the nitrogen tyre pressure?

You can safely skip my rant below, but there is an interesting website's URL inside.

- begin rant

Though it is supposed to be a top end variant, it is sparsely equipped. Small wheels. The child locks of back door are of very low quality. The reverse warning unit is cheap (May not be more than 100 INR). No ticket holder or sunglass holder. Small glovebox - not cooled as well. Small AC vents. The mirrors are horrible (rear view and side). No 6 air bags. No ECS. This is a 1.1 million rupee car. Don't get me started on the central console. There is this strange orange glow in the central dash. May be that I am not used to it. On the music unit, its written 'DATA ACCESS'. What data access?? Sounded like chinese english (please get your daily fix here: engrish.com). None of these are deal breakers though. I did not want an auto-climate control unit and thankfully its not present in this car. Honda can, and should improve upon these things.

-end rant.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by bsdbsd : 22nd August 2013 at 12:50. Reason: added a question
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:52   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which one would be the best for our city?
If you don't want to deviate from the stock specs, NB+s are definitely recommended. You can go for 100/90 bulbs using relays but that will void your car's electrical warranty, so I won't suggest that until your warranty period is over.

Quote:
Do let me know if you were able to source them. And I believe it should be just a plug and play thing.
Will do.

Quote:
RavenAvi + All other Honda gurus, please help me in understanding more about the tyres(tires?). Honda has given me MRFs. Is this a concern?
MRFs would mean MRF ZVTVs. They are good tyres as well (second to Michelin in quality, as OEM factory-fit). If you don't feel the need for greater comfort and road grip, let the tyres remain stock. If you want more comfort and grip, I suggest changing them when the first tyre rotation (usually at 10,000 kms) is due.

Quote:
I dont know much about tyres, so I could not understand the terminology (195/60) etc. Should I do this now or later? Will this void my warranty? What is meant by ER 60? Which company? Sorry for asking so many questions.
A must-read thread by Rehaan - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-your-car.html

195 = width of the treads on the tyre
60 = tyre sidewall height
R15 = wheel rim/alloy size

The City comes with these tyre-specs by default - 175/65/R15, Tubeless.

Changing tyres won't void your warranty unless you deviate too much from the officially designated upgrade. (usually it is 2% or less)

The best recommended upgrade for the default OEM specs is 195/60/R15. The two most commonly preferred tyres for these specs are Michelin Primacy LC and Bridgestone Turanza ER 60.

Name:  Untitled.GIF
Views: 1351
Size:  30.9 KB

http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

Quote:
When I start the car in the morning it goes up to 2k rev for a second, and stabilizes at 1.2k. After a period of time it is settling at 750. Is this normal? Also, AT surges in the morning once I take my foot off the pedal and becomes more sedate 5-10 mins into the drive. All ok here?
That's normal surge for cranking up a cold engine, IMO. I suggest starting up the engine and let it idle for a minute or so, before putting it into gear. That helps immensely in warming up the engine before you start moving. Also, if you are backing out from your garage, it's more imperative to let the engine warm up nicely.

City AT experts can clarify more on the AT surge. But I think all is normal.

Quote:
If I use the AC at '1' speed, will it exact a toll on engine? Are higher fans speeds better?
Don't start the AC immediately after cranking up the engine (or before it). The engine needs the maximum amount of battery juice when it starts up, so it's imperative that all other electrical functions are off (fan, AC, HU, etc.). If the "engine cold" icon is lit up on the ODO (a blue-colored "C" icon on the bottom left, with a thermometer beside it) after cranking up, wait till the engine warms up properly during idle, until that icon goes off by itself. Then you can start using the AC and other features.

Use the fan speed according to the temperatures outside. It won't affect your engine. Don't worry too much - the City's capacitor is quite powerful and can take the load.

Quote:
What should be the nitrogen tyre pressure?
Stick to the recommended ones as given on the left side sill of the driver door (32 front/30 rear). Usually tyres are over-filled from the factory/dealerships so the initial rides after taking delivery could be quite bouncy.

After you feel settled in your new car, experiment around a bit with the tyre pressures (go up 1 point, or down 1 point, or up 2 points) and check the comfort inside the car. Don't deviate too much from the OEM-recommended PSIs, or your tyres will get worn out too early.

I recommend normal air over nitrogen, unless you are a frequent highway traveller.

Quote:
- begin rant

-end rant.
I agree. Compared to many contemporary competitors, the City feels ill-equipped in the features department. But it gives you one thing which very few cars can provide today - peace of mind, specially for a petrol offering. There's a reason why the City is the bestseller in it's class despite being an only-petrol offering - the Honda reliability, the fantastic bulletproof i-VTEC engine, the combination of sheer power + frugal FE, excellent performer inside the city and out on the highways both, riding comfort, rear bench space, etc. I have seen people swear by the City, and that's a huge testament to the reliability of the car.

Even I wondered twice about not going for the Verna/Vento when I could have (Hyundai dealership was in my city, too!), but today the Verna/Vento has been completely obliterated from my mind. This, despite the 620 km-runs I have to make every 6 months I have to get my City serviced (A.S.S. is in another city). I just love my Silver Pegasus!

Just live with your car for a few months - with time you will start appreciating it more and more. Frill features are good to have, but what matters in the end is the complete peace of mind when you have a no-fuss, maintenance-free, excellent performer in your garage. (touchwood!) The City will grow on you with time. Trust me on this.

All the best and drive safe, my friend!
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:57   #240
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't want to deviate from the stock specs, NB+s are definitely recommended. You can go for 100/90 bulbs using relays but that will void your car's electrical warranty, so I won't suggest that until your warranty period is over.
I do not want to fiddle around. Will stick to the stock specs. BTW, any difference in Philips and NB+ with the stock spec?

Which tyre would reduce the noise? My City came with MRF's and even if all windows are closed and I drive 60+ on the highway, I can hear the road noise. Its like sitting inside a aircraft.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks