Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Our 2012 Spiced Up Maruti A-Star Automatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
The car can be switched on only when the gear is slotted in 'P' mode (parking). Same goes for removing the keys.
You can switch on/off the car both in 'P' as well as 'N' mode. I usually move the mode selector to 'N' and switch off the engine in some of the busy traffic signals.

As you noticed, the key can be removed only when the selector is in 'P' mode.

Quote:
Also between D and '3' there is just one horizontal movement. Hence if you feel the need for a quick acceleration, you can slot from 'D' to '3' and back very easily.
Sorry but I did not get it.

There is a single 'D3' mode -- as what I can see from our car and from the pictures you posted. I could not spot 'D' and '3' modes separately -- then how to move between them as written above?

Last edited by B103 : 2nd May 2012 at 21:22.
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Did you think about getting the ORVM covers painted. It would look nice.
Will think about it. I was thinking that some black on red would look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
While driving, do you feel any jerks while the gears change?
No. I did not feel any jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
The red in particular looks good on the car. The beige interiors are I believe in the new variant.
Yes, we also felt that red was good and were prepared to wait for it. The beige are part of the 2012 spice up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So changing the modes can be done on the fly without pressing any button on the lever or something? Hows the A-Star automatic different than Hyundai's apart from the milage thing?
Yes. No need to press any button. i10 has a bigger engine, more spacious rear and boot but at higher cost. Test drive both just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I am able to switch on and start the car in Nuetral, in my 2011 model A-star Automatic. Can you check once?
I missed it. Starts fine with 'N' also. Thanks everyone for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The steering just sticks and doesn't come to its on-centre position for small rotations.
My wife too complained about this initially since she was used to Estilo's steering. But now she is ok with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Was the delivery date chosen on purpose? This way, when your car completes 4 years, even then you can legitimately claim that it is only 1 year old.
. No, I wanted to get the car in Feb owing to the discount and they fit the accessories and gave it on 29th. Nice date though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Sorry but I did not get it. There is a single 'D3' mode -- as what I can see from our car and from the pictures you posted. I could not spot 'D' and '3' modes separately -- then how to move between them as written above?
The 'D3' is actually 'D and '3'. If you see the Instrument panel, you can find separate 'D' and '3' position. You can move from 'D' to '3' by pulling the gear to right side in horizontal movement and back again to 'D'. When you move to '3' I think you are forcing it to 3rd gear which gives it a bit more pulling ability than 'D' which is probably putting it to '4th' gear. Try it. In case you put it to '3' when the car would probably be in a lower gear with 'D' it behaves as if put to 'D'.
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Simon! How did I miss this thread? I have an A-Star AT, too, and am, very happy with it. And, it's red, too. Check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Congrats Simon! How did I miss this thread? I have an A-Star AT, too, and am, very happy with it. And, it's red, too. Check it out.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html
Hi pgsagar, Thanks and we have gone through your thread 'n' number of times before we made the purchase. You got some good pictures which helped us to decide.
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:04   #20
BHPian

Ok simon, so this is the car you purchased for your wife when you told about it to me in the office
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:19   #21
BANNED

Quote:
The 'D3' is actually 'D and '3'. If you see the Instrument panel, you can find separate 'D' and '3' position. You can move from 'D' to '3' by pulling the gear to right side in horizontal movement and back again to 'D'. When you move to '3' I think you are forcing it to 3rd gear which gives it a bit more pulling ability than 'D' which is probably putting it to '4th' gear. Try it. In case you put it to '3' when the car would probably be in a lower gear with 'D' it behaves as if put to 'D'.
In 3 (also 2 & 1) the biggest plus is when going up and down hills, the clutch is engaged, so you have engine braking. Also, useful to lock the engine in 3 when you have a lot of hunting by the transmission (as often happens on a highway, even the slightest pressure on the pedal initiates a downshift).
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Ok simon, so this is the car you purchased for your wife when you told about it to me in the office
Yeah and didn't know you were part of Team BHP too :-)
Old 4th May 2012, 09:19   #23
BANNED

One thing which this thread has achieved is that I am now far more likely to go for the compact DZire AT than the i20. Of course I shall wait for an AT Jazz/ Brio/ Liva for a few more months.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 21:18   #24
BHPian

CONGRATSSS on the purchase.Its a hell of a car in the price bracket and the lack of space issue is made more than what it actually is. A-star is quite smartly packaged and this 60-40 seats add to it.Probably the most under rated car in the market which never got its due.

The interiors look bright with beige but they should have kept the grey interiors as an option too(at least in the manual one). Beige is a pain to maintain and doesn't go with the sporty image of the car(the manual one).

Quote:
One hiccup during delivery was that they had added an extra accessory to our car (Door Rain Water Protection). We did not like it and asked it to be removed even when it was given for free
Can you please shed some more light on what this accessory is and why you did not like it? Congrats once again.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Can you please shed some more light on what this accessory is and why you did not like it? Congrats once again.
You must have seen it in some cars. It is a black color cover stuck to the top of doors, so that when it rains you get a cover sort of for your car glass and water does not drip in. You can see it visible on the doors in the second picture where my wife is checking the car. It made the car look ugly, so I had them removed and cleaned.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You must have seen it in some cars. It is a black color cover stuck to the top of doors, so that when it rains you get a cover sort of for your car glass and water does not drip in.
Oh ok,got it...the window visors. I agree with you on how ugly they make the car look.
BTW wasnt the 2012 version suppossed to get integrated rear spoilers as standard?The rear looks the same to me or is it the spoiler is optional.
Any idea on whats the price of the new set of alloy wheels for a-star,the MGA ones?
Pardon my array of questions, I just cant keep my excitement confined on seeing a new a-star.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must have seen it in some cars. It is a black color cover stuck to the top of doors, so that when it rains you get a cover sort of for your car glass and water does not drip in. You can see it visible on the doors in the second picture where my wife is checking the car. It made the car look ugly, so I had them removed and cleaned.
You had them removed? And I put my foot down to had it installed in my car. I felt that A-Star upper door frames are way too thick. Putting these rain-visors toned down the thickness a bit. Also, in my opinion it makes A-Star look more sporty. Anyway, it is an individual choice.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One thing which this thread has achieved is that I am now far more likely to go for the compact DZire AT than the i20. Of course I shall wait for an AT Jazz/ Brio/ Liva for a few more months.

Is something coming out soon from these stables?
Old 10th May 2012, 10:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
BTW wasnt the 2012 version suppossed to get integrated rear spoilers as standard?The rear looks the same to me or is it the spoiler is optional.Any idea on whats the price of the new set of alloy wheels for a-star,the MGA ones?Pardon my array of questions, I just cant keep my excitement confined on seeing a new a-star.
The rear spoiler comes only with Zxi as standard. I checked the price and was quoted something like 3k I think. I said no need. No idea on the price of alloys. I did not like the new ones with MGA and the wheel caps looked good. So postponed it for a year or two. No problems with the questions. I share the same excitement.
Old 10th May 2012, 19:28   #30
BHPian

Nice write up with some good pictures. Auto box just got another good review here. If the daily commute would have been less I would love to own an petrol auto box. And the diesel auto are way out of my budget. Beige does give A-star a lot of rommier feeling and seems the the perfect city car(read heavy stop and go traffic) for its size and auto transmission.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks