Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 13:09   #61
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura Ambiente TDI MT - Ownership Experience. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi All,

A small update to our Ruby Raptor. One of my gripes about our Laura was the very low field of width of the RHS Outside rear view mirror and I was constantly on the lookout to solve this problem.
So finally I found a solution on ebay Uk:
This addition is 100% required for the Laura as the flat RHS mirror is really dangerous and has a bad blind spot.
The Mirror that I installed is convex and has a much wider field of view and also has a separate blind spot zone (marked by the line) where the curvature is even higher to aid visibility.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth,

Thanks for the picture. Where exactly is the blind spot on the Flat RHS side view mirror for Laura ? can you explain please ?
Old 14th August 2012, 13:56   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Behemoth,

Thanks for the picture. Where exactly is the blind spot on the Flat RHS side view mirror for Laura ? can you explain please ?
The mirror being flat has a very poor coverage when compared to convex ones. As a result vehicles/ objects behind the car slightly to the right lof the car are not easily visible. The field of vision of the flat mirror is narrow which creates a blind spot for the driver. I used to constantly find myself glancing over my shoulder before making right turns or lane changes.

Wonder why Skoda is providing these flat mirrors for the driver side? I feel convex mirrors should be compulsory for all vehicles , as also a law that makes it mandatory for all vehicles to drive with both side mirrors open. A lot of accidents can be avoided if people watch their mirrors.

Btw I have also got a similar convex mirror from eBay for my car. It has surprisingly stayed on and not fallen off.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th August 2012 at 14:00.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:35   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car

Behemoth,

With the original RHS mirror, if there is a small car or biker just near your C pillar around 1m parallel to the car, you will not be able to see them. It is quite unsafe because of this and one has to be extra careful when turning right. I agree completely with Swanand that convex mirrors should be made mandatory in India as the traffic is very haphazard and a wider field of view is required.
In the Vento VW is giving wide angle blind spot mirrors as standard.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 15:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
With the original RHS mirror, if there is a small car or biker just near your C pillar around 1m parallel to the car, you will not be able to see them. It is quite unsafe because of this and one has to be extra careful when turning right. I agree completely with Swanand that convex mirrors should be made mandatory in India as the traffic is very haphazard and a wider field of view is required.
In the Vento VW is giving wide angle blind spot mirrors as standard.
Thanks Behemoth...well explained. After i asked the question, I was wondering how you would explain the same without the aid of a pictorial diagram but you made the narration better than a picture.

This really shows how much you were aware of the problem you sited. great work !!!
Turbo car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:29   #65
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,
Now that I have booked a Cappuccino beige 2.0 CR TDI Elegance MT Laura, I would like to know, -
1. I used to hear that all these European cars use lot of engine oil in initial period. I remember reading a thread by somebody using a Superb having trouble with low engine oil level light coming up unexpectedly, much before service. What synthetic (I guess it uses synthetic oil. Am I right?) oil does Laura use and is it advisable to keep a tin of it in boot to be on safer side?
2. Is it advisable to go for oil change earlier than 15K? Any ideas?
3. The convex mirror you fixed - doesn't Laura have heated ORVMs? If you stick this new mirror on previous one, does it work?
Old 20th August 2012, 08:50   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
Hi Behemoth,
Now that I have booked a Cappuccino beige 2.0 CR TDI Elegance MT Laura, I would like to know, -
1. I used to hear that all these European cars use lot of engine oil in initial period. I remember reading a thread by somebody using a Superb having trouble with low engine oil level light coming up unexpectedly, much before service. What synthetic (I guess it uses synthetic oil. Am I right?) oil does Laura use and is it advisable to keep a tin of it in boot to be on safer side?
2. Is it advisable to go for oil change earlier than 15K? Any ideas?
3. The convex mirror you fixed - doesn't Laura have heated ORVMs? If you stick this new mirror on previous one, does it work?
Congrats Dezrskb!
Oil consumption is there on the petrol 1.8tsi variant and not on the diesel variant. No need to worry about this. Just check the oil level after every 5k kms and only if required you can top up with Castrol Magnatec 5w/40 which is the approved oil being used by Skoda currently.
The oil normally does not require changing before 15k kms, but it will be good if you get the first oil change done at 5k kms and then subsequently every 15k kms.
The convex mirrors are also available in heated versions too but that requires removal on of the original mirror so I went with the non heated version instead as I dont use the mirror heating anyway.
regards
Behemoth
Old 20th August 2012, 17:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Seems like it is with the swing system only, as Santosh has also rechecked. Guess I must have confused with the Yeti Elegance, which comes with a Bolero system. My Bad!

For people who would like to compare the feature levels of the variants, please see the link:
Skoda Laura Car Features - Skoda Laura India

Since the time I bought my Laura (Ambiente), they have also changed the variant levels to 4: Active, Ambition, Elegance and L&K from the earlier Ambiente, Elegance and L&K.
Regards,
Behemoth
You can fix the bolero system in the Laura elegance though , cost is around Rs. 71,000/- it's done by the Skoda dealer itself. I went on do it, they fixed the system in my car, all fine. But the Aux input did not function. Rest all was great.
Old 21st August 2012, 19:59   #68
BHPian

Anybody can suggest what would be good VFM tyre upgrade for the Laura? I expect my new car in another 10 days!
Old 21st August 2012, 20:12   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody can suggest what would be good VFM tyre upgrade for the Laura? I expect my new car in another 10 days!
I would recommend Michelin Primacy LC as the first choice. They are excellent tyres and very silent. The cost difference for the tyres should not be more than 7k for all four tyres and it is well worth it.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin PLCs are an excellent choice. I have them on my Laura and am very satisfied. Only thing to keep in mind is to be a bit careful on bad roads. I ended up hitting a Gurgaon pothole at high speed resulting in a broken ply and a small bulge. This tyre is relegated to spare status.

Otherwise no problem in 11,000 kms of usage (mainly within NCR and few highway trips including hill station runs).

BTW I paid a difference of 10k for all five tyres in June 11.

Last edited by bloodred : 21st August 2012 at 20:44.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:52   #71
BHPian

Thanks behemoth and boodred for the suggestion. I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions and if budget available, will go for tire change straightaway.
While waiting game is on, I have another query.
I have two color choices - Rosso Brunello / C. Beige (white/ silver / black not opted for personal reasons). After seeing Behemoth's RB red, I prefer it to C.Beige. Both are available. Now the dilemma is - I have possibility of getting C.Beige manufactured in July, thats 1 mth back and a RB Red from March 2012. Do you people think one with July birthday is clearly the preferable choice?
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:10   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks behemoth and boodred for the suggestion. I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions and if budget available, will go for tire change straightaway.
While waiting game is on, I have another query.
I have two color choices - Rosso Brunello / C. Beige (white/ silver / black not opted for personal reasons). After seeing Behemoth's RB red, I prefer it to C.Beige. Both are available. Now the dilemma is - I have possibility of getting C.Beige manufactured in July, thats 1 mth back and a RB Red from March 2012. Do you people think one with July birthday is clearly the preferable choice?
The RB is a very nice colour and suits the laura very well. It also looks much more elegant in this colour and as it is a more recent introduction in their range, it is less common. My vote is for the RB inspite of a few months older stock car.
Ultimately the colour choice is yours and your family's!
Old 25th August 2012, 22:53   #73
BHPian

Hi Behemoth and Bloodred,
I may not be able to fit Michelin PLC within my budget as I may have to shell out difference of about 20K for 4 tires to exchange the factory fitted tires. Have the rubber prices skyrocketed recently? I have some more time to look around till my car arrives. If I dont get a better offer by then, will stay with GY NCTs till they wear out.

Also I have decided to stay back with C. Beige as this car was not stocked at any dealer but is coming directly from Aurangabad and one and half months old. RB red has been in Bangalore since production 5 months back and by the time I get it, will be probably 6mths old. I vaguely remember reading in a thread on PDI checklist in this forum that it is preferable to have a car within 6mths of manufacture date, hence the decision for C.Beige. RB red with June manufacture would have been perfect but I guess life is about choices and preferences.
I have another 5 days or so.

By the way Daytime Running Lights can be activated by me or I ask them to activate it? Any other useful features to be unlocked at delivery?

Did you people carry the PDI checklist when the vehicle arrived?

Dealer is offering "Teflon" (dont know what he means, may be just wax). But I have refused same and asked him to just wax it.

How often are u people washing Laura? Any particular precautions?

What foot mats? Kagu 3D? How are the ones offered by the dealer?

Last edited by dezrskb : 25th August 2012 at 23:17. Reason: had more doubts
Old 26th August 2012, 08:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I may not be able to fit Michelin PLC within my budget as I may have to shell out difference of about 20K for 4 tires to exchange the factory fitted tires. Have the rubber prices skyrocketed recently?

That's a serious rip-off pricing. Just checked on changemytyres.com, the pricing for PLC is at INR 5,856 per tyre. IIRC, it was INR 5,750 with retailer when I changed last year. Is your tyre dealer giving you return value of only INR 856 for an unused tyre (Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 btw is listed at INR 5,503). You need to look elsewhere and look hard. Once you start using GY, you'll be stuck for them for years. I believe BHPian Nikhilb2008 in Bangalore runs a tyre business. You may contact him if he knows a trustworthy dealer around your place.

Also I have decided to stay back with C. Beige.

A fresher piece is always better. And That's a good color, infact my wife's first choice. The dealer lied to us that C. Beige isn't offered in TSI. I am satisfied with white though as our Santro is of beige color and I didn't want two similar colored cars.

BTW, since the dealer was ordering a new piece, couldn't you just push him to order the color of your choice?

By the way Daytime Running Lights can be activated by me or I ask them to activate it? Any other useful features to be unlocked at delivery?

These need to be activated by the cable/software that dealer has. Other things you can get activated from dealer are needle sweep, cornering lights, change of instantaneous mileage from l/100km to km/ltr. The only challenge is that many of the dealers don't know how to do it. Behemoth should be able to help you on this as he's bought a VCD cable himself.

In a way yes but not very minutely. I was more on lookout if they try to pass on an older car to me. I'd got them to order a fresh piece from Aurangabad, which was taken the day after it landed in Gurgaon. Did a thorough inspection for any dents/ scratches / tell tale signs inside.
Be sure to decode the VIN to confirm that it's a fresh piece.

Dealer is offering "Teflon" (dont know what he means, may be just wax). But I have refused same and asked him to just wax it.

If I were you, I'd ask them to remove the packing film and hand over the car without even washing / waxing. Dealers are notorious for inducing scratches on the car everytime they touch it.

I wash my car myself, typically around once a month using two bucket method. ONR may be pressed in duty for quick cleaning. Daily dusting is done with a Jopasu duster (available at Reliance Autozone and a must buy). Get a Collinite 845 for an easy and durable waxing solution. There are various things around this. You may follow the following thread that will give you some insight. Two bucket method is covered in initial pages via a link to another site IIRC.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...guide-410.html

If you have any specific queries on this, I'd try to answer. I must warn it takes a lot of effort to maintain the car by self. But its worth the time invested.

What foot mats? Kagu 3D? How are the ones offered by the dealer?[/quote]

I got Kagu 3D mats for INR 6K. Since I have a car with beige mats, it was definitely a good choice. OE carpet is still in pristine condition thanks to Kagu. The OE mats are again beige and hence need protection.

The dealer mats (standard size transparent ones) are being used to add another layer to Santro mats (driver mat there had worn out). There are various options like Start 3D mats etc now, which you can check besides Kagu.

Last edited by bloodred : 26th August 2012 at 08:40.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 10:33   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I may not be able to fit Michelin PLC within my budget as I may have to shell out difference of about 20K for 4 tires to exchange the factory fitted tires. Have the rubber prices skyrocketed recently? I have some more time to look around till my car arrives. If I dont get a better offer by then, will stay with GY NCTs till they wear out.

Also I have decided to stay back with C. Beige as this car was not stocked at any dealer but is coming directly from Aurangabad and one and half months old. RB red has been in Bangalore since production 5 months back and by the time I get it, will be probably 6mths old. I vaguely remember reading in a thread on PDI checklist in this forum that it is preferable to have a car within 6mths of manufacture date, hence the decision for C.Beige. RB red with June manufacture would have been perfect but I guess life is about choices and preferences.
I have another 5 days or so.

What foot mats? Kagu 3D? How are the ones offered by the dealer?
Hi dezrskb,

I think your tyre dealer is taking you for a ride! If I recall when I had done the same chageover on my Laura in Mar 2012, I got a tradeback value of 4400 per tyre for the new Goodyears and the Michelin Primacy LCs were around 6000 per tyre (at the same dealership). Beyond this, the fitter charged for Nitrogen in the tyres and wheel balancing (~500 for 5 tyres including weights) . Total came to Rs 6900 for all four tyres ( I didnt swap the spare.) Find a good dealer who can do the same swap for your at similar rates. Don't stay with the Goodyears as they are REALLY bad. The worst part is that they are veru noisy and create a huge thump sound when they hit a pothole, even small ones. The Michelins are much less noisy and don't make a loud thump when they hit potholes.

For the colour, entirely your choice. But if you like the RB colour, you can also consider asking the dealer to arrange a fresher piece for you. Do see both colours physically on the Laura and then take your decision.
On the PDI list you can go with the official TBHP list.
Some additional pointers are as below which I had shared with Abbey a short while back:

1) First decode the VIN # of the Car that you are intending to take the delivery of. This will tell you the month and year of manufacture of the car.
You can use the link:
octinfo.com - Škoda Octavia info

2) Next, check the white protective films pasted on the vehicle - they have the date of installation and date of expiry (1 year from date of installation).

3) Check the tyres well. For cars which have been standing typically in the yard for very long, the tyres can get damaged if they lose pressure (that is one of the reasons why they inflate tyres to obscene levels 45-50 PSI) when they store them in the yard for long durations.

4) Check the body for any paint damage/ pitting from stones and also rusting.

5) check the rubber door seals / weather gaskets for suppleness and none of them should be hard/ brittle.

6) Check the steering / internal buttons for signs of scuffing and rough use, if the vehicle may have been used frequently for test drives.

7) Check seats for fabric/ leather quality and finish and cleanliness. Check adjustment levers / knobs on all seats and get them lubricated if required.

8) Check entertainment unit and reverse sensors for proper functioning. Check all lights / indicators.

9) Check battery charge level and engine starting (it should start within 1/2 sec after the glow plug light goes off.

10) Open the engine compartment and visually check for any loose cables / signs of wear and tear / chances of cable being bitten by rats

11) Examine the brakes / discs - some amount of rusting is normal, but it should not be too much.

12) Examine the underbody for any rusting / abnormal signs

13) Drive the car if possible, and listen carefully for any abnormal sounds (squeaks / creaks / knocks).

14) After delivery be sure to tank up fully as fuel left in the tank for a long time can form sludge and needs to be flushed out with regular usages and full tanks.

15) On delivery, get the entire suspension lubricated

16) Apart from this, be sure that all the paperwork is in order (you can find more details on the TBHP PDI list- Esp the extended warranty/ Insurance/ Invoices, Temp number etc)

For the DRLs, you can ask the dealer to activate them for you. Also ask them to activate Auto-lock and Auto-unlock - these are quite useful.

Teflon coating is not required on a new car - just let them wax it. Teflon typically should be done after a year of ownership and every six months onwards to retain the shine.

My Laura and Yeti are pressure washed only once in 3 months and wiped with a wet cloth every day by the cleaner. I also get them waxed once in 3 months.

In new Lauras, the carpets are black and mats are also black. These get dirty very quickly- it is a good idea to go for aftermarket 3d Mats. You can also go in for carpet mats from Elegant - these are also good and available in quite a few colours and patterns for the Laura.

Enjoy your Car!

Last edited by Behemoth : 26th August 2012 at 10:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks