Team-BHP - My 2012 Tata Nano LXi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My 2012 Tata Nano LXi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/117125-my-2012-tata-nano-lxi.html)

One month of ownership and here I go.

- It was difficult to give up the Maruti 800. So much nostalgia, so much freedom, absolute essential for a city rat but sometimes one has to learn to 'let-go'. So the search began for a suitable replacement and wifey got to say the last word on this - should it be the Chevy Spark (oh god, I loved the Matiz), the Santro (outdated now), Estillo, Wagon R; the list went on, then we decided to drop in by the TATA dealer for a look at the NANO. It was love at first site (believe me, you); that was in Dec 11. Paid upfront for the 2012 model, insisted on the pearl white color, and a music system and life took on a new meaning

- The booking & delivery experience from the dealer was a breeze, no issues there at all - VST motors on Mount Road, Chennai - courteous, prompt and professional - all my experience.

- On-road price, discounts - I was a bit taken aback on the price of the fully loaded version - LXi, INR 2.3 on the road was not exactly my expectation but then I had to give up my M800, so what the heck. And who dare argue with the lady.

- 600 cc of combustion space seems less compared to some of the bikes on the road today and definitely not in league with any mobile comfort on 4 wheels, but again, we're talking city needs here folks.

- Have only done 300 odd kms so far, so some may say its too early to comment, but then I had to write about it.

- A daily commute to the office about 14 kms up-down in nightmare traffic, sub-sub-standard roads, in-operational & non-existant traffic controls, pedestrians with zero civic sense, and a major desire to be the next Schumacher - these are the driving conditions.

- Hats off to the design team at TATA MOTORS to have come up with such a car - needless to say the compactness is the biggest USP and the overall looks are quite good and refined.

- Overall build quality and fit & finish - yeah, yeah, some will always argue against these but I've got no grudges, they suit me fine.

- Interior design & quality - nice, nice, nice.

- Interior space and comfort - and this Ladies & Gentlemen is where the NANO scores over any car, I repeat, any car - unbelievable space in the front, in the rear, in such a small car, wow! You got to sit in it to believe it.

- the AC can chill your innards but then I have used the car in the early months. I hope I don't have to change my opinion in the summers. But I can risk a guess here - the AC shall do just fine in the Chennai heat.

- Engine performance & driveability in the city - absolutely a thrill - I am giving the Auto rickshaws and the two-wheelers a run for their money; some of them just can't believe it when they see a 4-wheeled buggy whiz past them - into nooks and gaps seemingly so narrow. I'm havin' fun, I tell ya.

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway - hmmmmm.........now this is something I still have to try out. Maybe sometime this month. Lets see.

- Overall opinion on the engine, Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc - so far so good, no complaint there.

- Fuel efficiency : City - ah.....this is what gets my goat. The promise of 23kmpl+ (of course I know about the test conditions). The dealer assured me atleast 20+; and here I am looking at figures of 15kmpl. Sure, this is in the city with its driving perils, but I was hoping to get better. And Highway - like I said, yet to try.

- Suspension & ride quality - for a car this size, it lives up to expectations.

- Handling - grip levels - I get a feel that I am hanging on to the steering, maybe its my imagination but the driving level seems a bit tight to me.

- Comments on the steering - fantastic turning radius, moves like a superfast worm. Braking - well the car is still new, hence good. High speed stability - what high speed - I'll be damned if I can go beyond 40 in the city - Is that what they call high speed now. And then, who buys a NANO for its speed.

- Any particular likes - powerful headlights, no kidding. The interior space, the driving position (gives a SUV feel, yeah baby), the manoeuvring ability, the AC. And of course, the joy of owning a NANO.

- Any particular dislikes - hey, where's the cigarette lighter? Aren't they supposed to be like standard stuff on cars nowadays? Where do I connect my power appliances? I was told that I would have to buy it as an accessory. And the power window buttons - so unergonomic (that means you have to take your eyes off the road when you want to use it). And the miserly door pockets - do you know, they ended up fitting the stereo speakers in these pockets - half-in, half-out, strange, ridiculous. And Central locking works mysteriously, haven't figured it out yet.

- Review on overall practicality -Luggage room - luggage room, what luggage room? The car is a people mover my friend. Ease of ingress/egress - this is another one of its positives. Cubby holes - two big ones right in front of you, that's it. How many more holes do ya want? huh? They don't get any bigger than this....ok.

- Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced - ask me this later, maybe after a few months, or years.

- Quality of after-sales service (if experienced) - Good, but then I am yet to go for the first service, but the after sales part was satisfactory.

- Anything else you wish to add about your car - you know, I like just about everything about this car. When I'm on the road, all eyes are on me; part curiousity; part amazement; part desire. But there is just a teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy, issue - IMAGE. Many think that I'm nuts. What the hell is this guy driving? Some ridicule, some come and console, some try to pacify me. Hey, hold it right there. What is with you guys? I have bought this car on my own freewill (discounting the better half's fervent suggestions). I love this cute thingy. It gives me a freedom on the roads which I last experienced on my LUNA, and to an extent the M800. So what's bothering you guys? And ofcourse, there's the noise - not so much if you are inside the car. The advantage - I never have to honk - the car announces itself, so good for me. Aside from these minor matters I tell you, this is THE city machine to be in. And I have but one thing to say to the TATA's - guys, THANKYOU.

I rest.

Let me be the first one to congrats you. However, can you format it a little better by removing the multiple periods. :)

Plus pictures are mandatory!!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aabidansari (Post 2707143)
Suspension & ride quality - for a car this size, it lives up to expectations

How does the ride quality compare to the Maruti 800, from your perspective? I had an M 800 till last year, so I am curious to know.

Congrats on the buy!

And this nice review of yours may have just got me a few inches closer to the keys of a Nano, in this traffic jammed city of Bangalore :)

Congrats for the little car you've got! I look forward to a nano cx (papaya orange) as a next thing in my garage. A proper hatch is a bit bigger for local commutes (>5-8kms), also i think it would be a better replacement for my bike.

Got the music system fitted? I believe it would have been better to get an after market system. Although it won't look as flush as an OEM, but the SQ would have been better than an OE.

Congrats on the buy. Hope you have many happy miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooza (Post 2713981)
How does the ride quality compare to the Maruti 800, from your perspective? I had an M 800 till last year, so I am curious to know. :)

The M800 is low slung but the Nano rides higher. So whatever bumps the wheels go over seem so much farther. But hey, for a city commuter, bumps are part of life.
The Nano has by far the highest ground clearance in the small car segment. So no issues going over into the ditches and over the bumps.

Congratulations on the white beauty and join the league of extraordinary men!clap: The nano rides a lot taller than most hatchbacks.

The steering is dead at slow speeds but picks up really nicely; minimal efforts are needed to change directs when the car is in motion!

Congrats aabidansari for your Nano. Its indeed a very smart choice for city drives. Wishing you miles of safe and pleasure ride with it. Could add some pics to complete the thread.

Congrats Aabid Bhai, for the new buy - we are awaiting the pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aabidansari (Post 2714200)
The M800 is low slung but the Nano rides higher. So whatever bumps the wheels go over seem so much farther.
The Nano has by far the highest ground clearance in the small car segment. So no issues going over into the ditches and over the bumps.

What about body roll? Does the Nano exhibit body roll while going over bumps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 2715148)
- we are awaiting the pics!

What about body roll? Does the Nano exhibit body roll while going over bumps?

Pics are on the way. Please bear with me.
Regarding body roll - in city driving I have yet to go beyong 50. So far no body roll experienced. However, I intend to take her out on the highway this weekend. Shall know about roll on higher speeds then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aabidansari (Post 2715279)
Pics are on the way. Please bear with me.
Regarding body roll - in city driving I have yet to go beyong 50. So far no body roll experienced. However, I intend to take her out on the highway this weekend. Shall know about roll on higher speeds then.

Brilliant post first of all.. I have increasingly come across people who have embraced the feeling of being a Nano owner with a lot of joy (irrespective of the glares and question marks people sometimes have over a decision like this). You seem to be another happy customer. Kudos. Apparently a lot of owners come together, discuss and share info on the Nano FB page. Tata Nano | Facebook Might be useful for you. Kuch contest bhi hai. Maybe your story can win you a prize or two clap:

BTW do post your experience after a couple of servicings. Would be interesting to know the car behavior then.

Finally I got to take the car on the highway.

Frankly speaking, I didn't have the guts first - you know, small car, sitting high, lightweight, thin tyres, etc. - but I had to get her on the long and winding curves - Who dares Wins, right!

So this is how it went...

The one thing I keep noticing is that the car behaves quite well in all the gears, however, everytime I switch from the third to the fourth, I find a distinct lag. The shifts in between the other gears is normal though. The downshifts are pretty good too.

Noise levels at higher speeds are noticeable, but it really does not bother the driver or the occupants.

I put her through the works and touched a max of 80 on the needle. (I did not go higher simply because I was scared).

But let me tell you folks, she behaves like a cat - smooooooooth.

I must admit however, that I did not push her round the curves at that speed. But with the belt around my waist, I went as far as possible.

The brakes are very good too. Stopping from 80 to 0 was done in less than 6 mtrs. And I did not skid.

The drive was something I cherished. I did not get swayed by the passing trucks. The aerodynamic design probably helps in keeping the car on the ground. Best of all - no body roll. And I loved weaving in and out of the other vehicles on the road (at least those that I could overtake)

The biggest negative - the seats in the front are narrow. I mean, if you have broad shoulders you may find no support at all. Your arms simply hang out from the seats. That can get uncomfortable on longer drives.

I was overall impressed with her performance on the highway. Who knows maybe someday we shall cruise again. I can get to know her better then, I suppose.

Some pics here as promised. Shall post more later.

[quote=aabidansari;2717070]

Quote:

The brakes are very good too. Stopping from 80 to 0 was done in less than 6 mtrs. And I did not skid.
Are you sure??
BTW, don't be nervous taking your Nano on highway, I behaves like any other car in its class. I have taken my Nano on highway and hills and it never disappoints.

And i don't understand what you meant of your " arms hanging from the narrow seat". Kindly clarify.

Congrats on your new acquisition!! May be it is still early days for the FE to stabilize. Please post the photographs of the interiors !! Wishing you miles of safe driving.