Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 17:39   #1
BHPian

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions

We purchased(Mar 09) the New Mahindra Xylo E8 variant with Airbags & ABS.

For quite a while, we were deciding which SUV to buy. After having used the Tavera & Innova before, we did think of the XUV 500, but with the long waiting period for the car, we were certain that we did not want to wait that long.

Then came the news of a Xylo facelift and all of us were excited. When we saw the facelift, we were relieved to see the front side of the car looked way better now! Once the price of the Car variants was announced, we decided to go for the E8 variant with Airbags & ABS.

We were contemplating on whether to buy the Mhawk or MEagle but we decided the price difference was quite significant, so decided to stick with the E8 and not the E9.

The car delivery process at MPL Automobiles Chennai was pretty smooth. The service person was quick in explaining the car features and soon we were on our way home with the car (9th March).

Sharing my experience with the car so far.

Drive:

Once I crank up the engine, it has a nice feel to it. The gearbox is quite stiff, especially when compared to a car like Innova. Its taking sometime getting used to the gear shifts. I noticed downshifting from the 5th to the 4th is a lot harder. Should hopefully loosen up a little as the days go. I haven't pushed the engine too much and dont plan on doing so until it does atleast about 1000kms. So not sure how peppy it feels!

Interiors:

The interior does make me feel good. The quality of plastics is also quite good. They actually have a light in the passenger side Viser, when one wants to use the mirror in it, at night. Pretty awesome! Plenty of lighting inside for all 3 rows. There is a problem with the corner A/C vent for the first row, which is not closing at the moment. Will come to know once the car goes for service, which is at 5000km or 4 months, whichever is less. The armrest for driver and passenger are a relief, but they went wrong in designing it. i.e- unless we lift up the armrest from its right position, the driver cannot fasten his seatbelt, which is a little annoying. Music system is just about okay. There's too much Bass and when I increased the Treble, it didn't make much of a difference. The rear-view mirror visibility is a little poor with all the seat head-rests coming in between. Not too much of a problem since I rely more on the Side view mirrors.

Also a very important factor in getting the Xylo was the last row seating dynamics. It is much more spacious and comfortable than an XUV500 when we compared it. This was a pre-requisite for us, since the entire family goes together in the car for long drives. Ample leg room for tall people. They have provided two charging points in the car- one in front of the gearbox and one behind the handbrake; good thinking.

Useful features:

The dead pedal for the driver comes as a relief, especially in heavy Traffic. The armrest is also a good feature added to the car for the driver, which is height adjustable. Small LED white light illuminates below the door panel for all 4 doors, which comes in handy at night. Also, once we turn off the car and lock it, the headlight glows for about 10 seconds after that. Its supposed to help the owner in case its very dark. Not a common feature for cars in this segment. There are trays behind the front row seats to keep something to eat/ perch a laptop(if light-weight!). Not used them yet, but should do a good job I guess.

Parking Assist has been provided in the car's RVM while reversing, which is quite useful. They have also provided a smart compartment above the RVM where in we could keep some small article like- sunglasses, money, keys etc. It opens and folds neatly.

The system of opening the spare wheel is much easier compared to the Tavera or the Innova. One just needs to open the spare wheel lock internally, using a spanner to loosen the lock and bring the wheel down.

Exterior:

The side steps for the car are of absolute need. Very difficult for shorter people to get in and out of the car. Even for someone who is 5'11, I sometimes use it to get out from the car because the car is really tall.

Other points:

The mileage in the last 200kms of the 700 that the car has run, is about 8.5 to the litre. Should gradually improve I guess!

There is a beep which sounds from the dashboard console when I touched 100kmph, which stops beeping when the car comes below 90kmph. Not sure how long this will go on!

This is my first review. Hope it helped!
Cheers!

Time for some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0398-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0399-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0400-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0401-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0402-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0403-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0404-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0405-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0406-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0407-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0408-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0409-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0410-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0411-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0412-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0413-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0414-large.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-img_0415-large.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2012 at 13:42. Reason: Formatting
misguidedmisile is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:52   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Really looks much better than the previous version. Also its loaded with features. The colour looks best on Xylo. What are the mods planned? Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Crisp review, Nice color choice as well. If i am not wrong this is the first ownership review of new Xylo. Looking forward to hear more good things from you.

I am a prospective buyer for MPV and new Xylo and Ertiga are the two i am seriously looking at.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:53   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Xylo.

My New Xylo Refresh E8 was delivered on 29th Feb. Been too busy (read lazy) to start a ownership thread.

That is a good color by the way. Mine is White.
CorsaLove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:40   #6
nbr
BHPian

congrats on your new ride and nice colour as well.keep the updates coming.
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:18   #7
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. MPL are really doing a decent job atleast while selling the cars.

Excellent choice of colour and the new Xylo really looks very smart. Drive safe and wish you a happy ownership experience.

I am surprised that you liked the quality of interiors, especially since you have upgraded from an Innova.

The dead pedal is useful only in case of highway driving. I am not sure how it is useful in heavy traffic.

How is the ride quality when compared to the Innova. As far as i have experienced, Xylo's ride is harsher than an Innova.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:22   #8
BHPian

That's one good looking car (if you compare with earlier versions). I think XYLO scores better than Innova, Scorpio, Safari or even XUV as far as rear seat space is concerned.

However, only one major thing against XYLO is the "infamous" body roll. Not sure if they have come up with some solution in this newer version or not.

One more observation: I think it looks like more of a bigger size WagonR when one looks from front angle. Who all agrees to this ?
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on your purchase. MPL are really doing a decent job atleast while selling the cars.

Excellent choice of colour and the new Xylo really looks very smart. Drive safe and wish you a happy ownership experience.

I am surprised that you liked the quality of interiors, especially since you have upgraded from an Innova.

The dead pedal is useful only in case of highway driving. I am not sure how it is useful in heavy traffic.

How is the ride quality when compared to the Innova. As far as i have experienced, Xylo's ride is harsher than an Innova.
I agree, the Innova interiors are of Top quality, but maybe I dint feel the difference that much because, we had used a Fiesta for 2.5 years between selling the Innova and buying the Xylo. Also, i think the colour combination of the interiors (seat covers, dashboard, panels,etc) are something which we've not seen much before, so it's also something new and appealing to me. I think the dead pedal still helps because i frequently travel the OMR IT Highway where speeds can remain constant at times. Ride quality is definitely better in the Innova, which gives almost no body-roll compared to the Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
congrats on your new ride and nice colour as well.keep the updates coming.
Thanks nbr! Will definitely update the thread frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Congratulations on the new Xylo.

My New Xylo Refresh E8 was delivered on 29th Feb. Been too busy (read lazy) to start a ownership thread.

That is a good color by the way. Mine is White.
Thanks CorsaLove. What is the mileage that you're currently getting in your car? Mine's around 8.5 to 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Congratulations. Crisp review, Nice color choice as well. If i am not wrong this is the first ownership review of new Xylo. Looking forward to hear more good things from you.

I am a prospective buyer for MPV and new Xylo and Ertiga are the two i am seriously looking at.
Thanks rajshenoy. Will keep updating for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Really looks much better than the previous version. Also its loaded with features. The colour looks best on Xylo. What are the mods planned? Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Thanks HappyRoadie. Mods planned are- upgrading the ICE; not happy with the current setup. Will also probably put a secondary horn and a reverse beep horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
That's one good looking car (if you compare with earlier versions). I think XYLO scores better than Innova, Scorpio, Safari or even XUV as far as rear seat space is concerned.

However, only one major thing against XYLO is the "infamous" body roll. Not sure if they have come up with some solution in this newer version or not.

One more observation: I think it looks like more of a bigger size WagonR when one looks from front angle. Who all agrees to this ?
Yes, rear seat space is definitely a strong point for the Xylo.
Old 12th May 2012, 16:32   #10
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Recently completed a trip to Munnar. Chennai-Munnar, distance covered- 600kms; start time- 0315AM, end time- 1245PM. Total Break- 25 minutes snack and 5 fuel. Return took longer. Left at 1100AM and reached home by 930PM. First long drive for our Xylo. She gave an overall Average of 13, for the 1300km trip.
Few observations during the Trip:-
1. Beautiful to drive flat-out on the Highway. Hardly felt any body roll in the front seats.

2. There is a double beep sound which plays FIVE times, every time the car crosses the 100kmph mark!! It became quite annoying later, as i kept crossing that limit very often. Definitely going to ask the guys at the A.S.S to remove that sound!

3. Though the throw of the stock headlamps was good, it still felt a bit weak. Planning to upgrade to Philips H4 130/100.

4. There are two modes for the A/C- Hi & Low (apart from the thermostat adjust knob). Could use the A/C in Low mode with thermostat at full, till about 9AM. Then it started getting hot and I had to shift into Hi mode.

5. Wish the drive seat height could go down just a little bit more. The current lowest, still feels a bit tall at 5.11.

6. Climbing the ghats was a piece of cake! just loved the way she sailed through effortlessly.

7. As the road widening work was in progress between Theni-Bodi, there were a lot of diversions in between, but with this car, hardly felt a thing inside. The tall stance of the car is awesome and gives excellent visibility.

8. Fastening the seat belt was a painful task, because I had to bring up the hand rest, every time I buckled up! Big ergonomic error :(

9. Feeling the heat of summer now and planning on putting Sunfilm, but kept in on hold till the whole Supreme Court ban cools down a bit!!

10. There is a small problem with the driver side door. It jumps a bit and makes a sound when the car goes through a significant pothole; been there since we bought in March. Not a big issue right now, but will definitely get it fixed during the 1st Service.

Very happy with the overall driving experience and hope to do many more such trips.

Cheers!
Varun
misguidedmisile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 18:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Recently I had the opportunity to hire a 2012 Xylo as a taxi to travel around 200 kms. Sitting in the front passenger seat, there was not hint of body roll or rocking as the previous versions. The ride was on the firmer side, and seemed more akin to Innova. For sure Mahindra has tweaked and played around with the suspension a bit.
Old 25th May 2012, 16:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Seems from the post that the suspension has improved over the previous gen Xylo. For sure the front grille and bonnet looks sleeker and less cluttered.

Any significant changes in the performance front from the previous version?

Also do post more pics of the exteriors (especially your drive pics if any)
Old 7th November 2012, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Service Center Lift Damages New Xylo

My colleague had sent his new Xylo to a Mahindra authorised service center (MASS) in Bangalore, yesterday morning. By afternoon the folks at the MASS called him and told him that the Xylo was damaged while being lifted to the second floor

My colleague was requested to see the vehicle and was allowed to take photos (see below). MASS folks have assured complete replacement free of cost (and no paper work).

My Colleague is waiting anxiously to see the new vehicle back in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-xylo1.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-xylo2.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-xylo3.jpg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-xylo4.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:58   #14
BHPian

Hey Folks! Been a while since I got a chance to update the Thread. The pics shown in the thread above look are quite dis-heartening to see!! Hope the owner was able to get his car back in shape.

Our car has done 24000 kms, and is now around 14 months old. There was a call back of the car in March to replace the locking mechanism in the rear door. It dint give a problem till then, and now continues to work the same way after the replacement!

Was pleased with the vehicle's 2nd service. Car felt really smooth, reduced engine noise for sure.

A few issues that came up with the car in the last 6 months:-

1. A/C was throwing out very less air; reason being the air passages were choked badly. (leaves and dust being accumulated it seems)

2. Around the same time, the A/C was repeatedly make hissing sound. Took it to MASS and they said the issue was that the condenser coil had failed (he showed me the damaged coil). It was replaced free of cost under warranty.

3. Driver seat clamps need to be tightened. Every time I accelerate a little harder from a complete stand still, the seat rocks just a little bit (1 millimeter i would think).

4. I drove down to Yelagiri sometime in January. The next day, we were planning to leave for Chennai at 11AM, and to my horror, when I started the car and put into gear, the steering wouldn't move!! Got down and saw that the Power steering fluid had leaked the previous night and the fluid Tank was empty!! Luckily for us, someone from Vaniyambadi was coming upto the resort, and they could get us a couple of bottles of the fluid from a shop. We got down underneath the car and checked if the pipe had broken somewhere, only to realize that the nut at one of the joints was loose, and the fluid had drained out from that opening!! Coincidence, this trip was just a Week after getting the car Serviced!!

5. When I drove from Chennai to Coorg in April, the brakes were having an issue. There are about 80 speed breakers from Bangalore (nice road mysore exit) to Kushalnagar. So we're constantly applying the brakes. There was some grunting sound in the brake between 30kmph to standstill, while braking gradually from a speed of about 80kmph. Showed it to MASS and asked them to check the issue the next day, but we both weren't able to reproduce it back in Chennai. To be on the safer side, I got the brake discs bleeded and checked.

Other observations:-

The car gives a city average of around 11-12 kmpl. Highway mileage was coming to about 14kmpl, at good speeds,

One really needs to get used to the gear shifts. If a new driver puts the car from say - 2nd to 3rd, if its not slotted at the right angle, it gets a bit tricky! Even 5th to 4th for that matter.

The upgrade to Philips H4 130/100 lamps was absolutely worth it!

Did two fabulous drives - Chennai to Kodai in February & Chennai to Coorg in April. Absolutely loved every minute of the drive.

Recent addition to the car are Hella 500FFs. Managed to fit them before the Coorg trip. They really do light up the road. I still need to get them aligned a bit, tricky work to do that. Here are a couple of pics from that install.

Will try to update this thread more regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-image7.jpeg  

The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions-image8.jpeg  

misguidedmisile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:24   #15
BHPian

Hi Varun,

Nice to see your experience with the new Xylo. Where do you give your car for service? IG or MPL or Zulaikha. I feel MPL is still not competent enough and they take their sweet time to attend to any issues....

Rgds,
Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks