Team-BHP - Do dreams come true? Finally my ol' Honda City Vtec
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Do dreams come true? Finally my ol' Honda City Vtec (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/117711-do-dreams-come-true-finally-my-ol-honda-city-vtec.html)

Do dreams ever come true is what all of us ask ourself many a times !!!

Oh yes in case it did come true. From my school and college days I used to look at the Honda city and drool over the looks of the car not knowing the potential the car had in it. Grew up to know more about car and bikes. When I started earning I realized that owning a city is a distant dream, so resorted to bikes and slowly bikes and cars became my passion. It was in those days I joined team bhp(2007) and kept reading posts and threads and gaining good knowledge about the actual stuff about cars. That's when got to know what does the ol' Honda City VTEC has in it in terms of engine raw power other than the looks.

So in 2007 I decided I need to buy a car then looked for used cars like many of us do, to start with a used car and then buy a new one once u mater the art of driving. Actually the Zen and the city were my first loves in cars. My budget was low so I couldn’t buy a city, finalized it has to be a Zen hunt was on and found a good carb Zen and picked it up. Truly enjoyed every bit of it.

Days passed by and really wanted to own a city so in 2009 I started the hunt for a decent driven single owner Vtec. I had my own priorities like, the owner should have taken care of the car like a baby(regular maintainance good body condition with no dents or minimal dents) , the number 7 should not be there in the number plate (not keen on astrology but somehow 7 has always proved unlucky for me), shouldn’t be driving more than 70k kms and last but not the least it should be in the good price bracket. The search was on and most of the times some or the other points mentioned above would not be satisfied. So days passed by infact years and then in 2010 I needed to buy a car again so searched again and couldn’t get a city to my liking(may be i was too picky). This was the point where I gave up and said maga (maga is a slang in Kannada for dude or something similar) it’s been 7 good years that the ol' Honda City vtec stopped manufacturing and whatever good cars are there, are either not going to be sold by the owners or they are already in bad shape or I am really not able to find one for XYZ reasons, so better look for another car than ol' Honda City Vtec

Somehow after driving a Zen for so long didn’t like any other car so then after about 3 months of search ended up buying a 2006 Zen from Sagar true value on Dec 2010. Was pretty happy with the zen and not even thought of an upgrade till the time my in-laws came and I had to pick them up from the railway station. Dam that’s when I realized I need a bigger boot space and the Zen can’t help me only in that area.

So in Jan 2012 after a good 3 months research on Tbhp and personal checks/reviews I had booked a punto (1.3 Emotion pack) because after a ol' Honda City and Zen this was the only car in my budget(for new car with a loan) that stole my heart. 10 days left my punto delivery and my grand pa then tells me you need to buy a house on your name that’s when it’s good to own a 8lac car and you don’t have to drive so much everyday as you can still use the company transport its only on the weekends you take out your car also it’s not a mandatory requirement(while booking the punto i thought i ll use the car everyday to commute to work which is 50kms to and fro) .Somehow didn’t want to override his suggestion so canceled the Punto booking and said to myself its ok maga whenever you need to get somebody from the airport/station/long trip we can hire a taxi. Rested the car case and moved on in life until I saw this ad in Tbhp of a 2004 old city Vtec which was quoted at 5.25lacs. I saw the car and all the aspects of my search were satisfied, single owner driven 63k kms, car looked brand new with a nice skirting job, 15” alloys and man with a fancy number which doesn’t have a 7 in the number plate bingo. But the sad part was it was priced too high from my budget so again left it. In Feb the owner of the car again reduced the price to 4.75(he is a tbhp member) clap: now that did bring a smile on my face and called him in the first week of March and told him my budget he said he will not give it at that price but he said see and drive the car you will fall in love. Set up time with him to see the car and we met at a common point; I reached the place early and was waiting for the owner to come with the Vtec. Was checking my phone to call and by then I hear the smooth roar and thought some nicely done up car is coming so paused my activity of calling to see which car. And there comes the Vtec and I waived my hand to Shiv (Vtec owner). So the feeling of me seeing this Vtec in flesh was something like what Nicholas cage experienced when he saw the Shelby in “Gone in 60 secs”. I literally had goosebumps (now that’s a little filmy touch). So I meet Shiv and he hands the keys of the car to me and asked me to take a drive I am still in the mode of getting over that feeling and drive the car I drove it below 60kmph and a little scared as I was driving a car with skirts for the first time. So I stop over to admire and check the car and Shiv got to know I couldn’t drive as I was scared of the skirts and he said “why don’t you sit and I’ ll drive”. Key in the ignition, the car is started and there goes the 1st gear clutch released and 1st gear 40kmph, 2nd gear in and close to 90 -100kmph and rest is history . I was totally bowled out but how the car responded. Stopped by and had a small chat about the pricing and said will get back to Shiv by evening. But honestly I was sold out to how the car performed how it looked like brand new and the goodies it had. The list of goodies, 15” ava alloys and 205/50/15 yoko s-drive hardly done 2k kms, skirting all around, b&m short shifter, K&N performance filter, Header done by Raj, ICE with Sub and dvd player. The stock parts like the Vtec alloys, regular gear shifter and stock exhaust were also going to be given away to the buyer.

I go back home and talk about it to my friends and most says it’s way too high priced and can get latest model cars for that price or maybe even a diesel car for that price. Except for my best buddy, we both share the same liking towards cars he and I spoke and said this may be our last chance to own a Vtec in this pristine condition but yes the price is a little on higher side for my budget. I called Shiv in the evening and offered a price which he didnt agree so said give me some time i ll check and call you in a couple of days. I open my lappy and read all the posts(spent the whole night) related to the ol' Honda City and learnt all the known issues and added most of the Vtec owners to my friends list in Tbhp and in Facebook. Specially spoke to Vinay Vtec a lot and got to know about the Vtec more and more.

Day 2 I get back home from work and have a chat with my wife about the Vtec and she just asked one question. If you buy this car will the car changing bhoot in you go out of you atleast for the next 10 years, I thought about it for a min and said “Yes”lol:(i wanted this car). I know i will upgrade atleast in the next few years atleast i will retain this and upgrade.But a few points I thought before saying yes, will this car be reliable for next 5 years atleast – Yes(with good maintenance), Will this car satisfy the thrill and pleasure and be a driver’s car – Yes. Will the petrol prices affect me badly – no (as I will mostly be using this on the weekend and my travel will be less than 500kms a month). Does this car turn heads in terms of looks – Oh yes any day I feel this is the best classic design which only grows younger day by day and not older (in my view).

So I call Shiv and have a small chat and tell my situation/budget constraints and how badly I want to own the car and he told me he knows how it feels when you want to buy something and you can’t stretch due to xyz reason but still he brought his price down and said this is the best I can offer you and nothing less than that and this was the special price he said he is offering only to me after seeing how eager I was to own a Vtec. I again take some time from him to manage my finances as I still had not sold my Zen and needed to arrange the whole cash. Took a week’s time and kept him updated on my situation and told him on Friday I would be coming on Sunday 18th March 2012 to buy the beauty. The whole of this week I actually had sleepless nights thinking about the car. On the D day there was no boundaries to my happiness I wanted to jump around like a puppy.

Oh man I am yet to run this beauty to her redline, my wife is not letting me do it she tells me that it’s too fast a car for her to sit in the passenger seat. Will take the beauty out on a weekend along and redline her.

Most of my friends/colleagues and relatives told me that the car looks brand new and no signs of wear and tear. All the comments/compliments on how well the car is maintained is dedicated to Shiv as he is the true owner of all of these for the way the car is maintained.

Now for the ownership review of the car for the 3 days i have used so far.

What are the things i like:
- The VTEC raw power
- Power delivery is smooth
- The car has currently completed only 66k kms and there is still a lot to life left
- Interior space and comfort
- List of mods that can be done on the car is never ending
- Looks is defiantly a killer one
- The rear seat are very comfortable
- Currently running the 205/50/15 yoko s-drive so the braking is good

What are the things i dont like
- seat support, ergonomics (may be i need to get used to the low seating)
- Gearshift / transmission quality for now is a little hard may be need to get it checked if its the clutch or the short shifter flowing
- Suspension & ride quality - slight noise when i go over a rough patch needs a check
- Handling, on-road behaviour and grip levels - Ol' Honda city as know is not the best of the handlers
- Slight niggles once in a while near the instrument cluster area - will get that checked

A pic speaks 1000 words and here it is. Will upload more shortly need to go to a nice location for a photo shoot.

Congratulations Chetan25. The Honda City Vtec has been a dream car for me too. Never loses its charm. Even today, my head turns whenever i see one go by. The car you bought looks in excellent shape. Looks brilliant as ever! Keep the updates coming.

Yet to see a car in such pristine condition, beautifully maintained. You are one lucky guy Chetan to lay your hands on such a beauty.
Congrats.

I sold my black Vtec in 2009, and I still swear by its raw screaming power. From the day I sold it, I am yet to come across something as raw & beautiful as a Honda City VTEC. Its a legend indeed. And after owning & driving several cars after that, I miss her really badly. Nothing has been able to bring back that wicked smile everytime I pushed her to her limits. And believe me, I am once again searching for a preowned Honda City VTEC.

Happy Mile-Munching.

(How come its a 2004 model? AFAIK, its production was stopped somewhere around Sept.2003. It could be 2003 manufactured car registered in 2004)

Many congrats Chetan. Loved reading your review. Spoken truly from your heart. The car looks spic and span and indeed kudos to shiv for maintaining her very well.

Honda City Vtec exudes a butchered look and has raw power to back it up. Great choice.

Hope you have many years of trouble free ownership.

Many, many congratulations chethan! The car looks to be in pristine condition and will serve you well for many more miles to come. The Honda City was a real stunner in it's time (it resembles the Esteem) and that gem of a VTEC engine had a ton of power to sweep anyone off their feet. It could give some of today's cars a real run for their money.

Maintain her well and enjoy her. Great to read about how your dream came true! Will keep a tab on your thread for updates. :)

Owning an ol' Honda City VTEC is like dream coming true for any automobile enthusiast, you deserved a best car and you got one, when you are going for these kinds of cars you need to be flexible on the Vitamin M side and you were.

When you called me and asked about the car the first thing I asked was what was your purpose of owning a VTEC and the only reason was whether you need a stock stuff or go for a 1.5 and get a bigger engine. You have made a wise decision for your usage. Learn the dynamics of this car first and sort off if any technical issue and then slowly plan for mods, this is not just any other car it’s a VTEC so it demands the respect it needs.

Congratulations, the car sure looks as good as new, surely the earlier owner has taken very good care of her.

Your infection with City Vtec is commendable. You did everything humanly possible to get this beauty. I had an opportunity to drive the Vtec City back in 2001 when it was out of my budget and it really felt very powerful in those days.

60K on a Honda is nothing, I have seen well maintained Hondas at 150K in immaculate condition. So even if you are driving at 10K per year owning this for 5 years will easily be hassle free. So have peace and enjoy.

Wow! Thats a great deal you got! The car looks so pristine :) You are lucky to get your hands on her. The alloys gel perfectly with the car.

Do post the interior pics too.

Congrats on the Honda City, nicely maintained one i presume, 4.7L for a VTEC is quite good i think, though i am not too sure about Honda City prices. :)

By the way good looking alloys as well, whats that make?

Thread moved from Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing and happy mile crunching in your new ol' baby!

Great find!!
I have not seen one so pristine so far!
strut brace too, wow.

PS:Just get some air to that filter.

Gawd, I miss my '03 Honda City Vtec. She served me well, and had atleast another 10 healthy years left. The steering & revv-mad engine are unmatched in any other Indian car. A legend, no less. Congratulations to you & the car (for finding a nice home):

Do dreams come true? Finally my ol' Honda City Vtec-img_1508_edit.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by chethan25 (Post 2720599)
2004 old city Vtec which was quoted at 5.25lacs. I saw the car and all the aspects of my search were satisfied, single owner driven 63k kms, car looked brand new with a nice skirting job, 15” alloys and man with a fancy number which doesn’t have a 7 in the number plate bingo. But the sad part was it was priced too high from my budget so again left it. In Feb the owner of the car again reduced the price to 4.75(he is a tbhp member)

Did you check the registration book? AFAIK, the first-gen Honda City ceased production in 2003 itself. Bangalore prices sure must be hot because, and sorry to say, 4.75 lakhs is way too much money for this car. It would go for a max of 2.5 lakhs in Mumbai today. I sold my well-maintained 2003 build for 3.5 lakhs, and that's in 2010! 4.75 lakhs could get you a 2006 Civic in Bombay today.

Either ways, we're no one to comment :). As long as the buyer is happy, the price is right. Drive safe!

thanks you lobojames9 sure will keep updating
ScorpMan you just said it.

Thank you Arup yeap indeed its spoken truly from my heart
Mayank i agree with you on the maintainance and long lasting engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorpMan (Post 2720652)
Yet to see a car in such pristine condition, beautifully maintained. You are one lucky guy Chetan to lay your hands on such a beauty.
Congrats.

I sold my black Vtec in 2009, and I still swear by its raw screaming power. From the day I sold it, I am yet to come across something as raw & beautiful as a Honda City VTEC. Its a legend indeed. And after owning & driving several cars after that, I miss her really badly. Nothing has been able to bring back that wicked smile everytime I pushed her to her limits. And believe me, I am once again searching for a preowned Honda City VTEC.

Happy Mile-Munching.

(How come its a 2004 model? AFAIK, its production was stopped somewhere around Sept.2003. It could be 2003 manufactured car registered in 2004)

Yes its a 2003 model an not 2004 i had quoted that title for reference

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raVan_ (Post 2721062)
Wow! Thats a great deal you got! The car looks so pristine :) You are lucky to get your hands on her. The alloys gel perfectly with the car.

Do post the interior pics too.

Ravan that compliment goes to Shiv as he had got those alloys

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2721234)
Congrats on the Honda City, nicely maintained one i presume, 4.7L for a VTEC is quite good i think, though i am not too sure about Honda City prices. :)

By the way good looking alloys as well, whats that make?

motomaverick i actually got it for lesser than 4.7 but i dont want to share the price as Shiv gave me the best price

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2721602)
Great find!!
I have not seen one so pristine so far!
strut brace too, wow.

PS:Just get some air to that filter.

Mayank yeap after i recover from the current finances ka Jataka The first things is to get a thorough check on the engine and other parts and replace the ones that require replacements and then on the mods list thats my first thing to be changed is the air filter to CAI

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2721627)
Gawd, I miss my '03 Honda City Vtec. She served me well, and had atleast another 10 healthy years left. The steering & revv-mad engine are unmatched in any other Indian car. A legend, no less. Congratulations to you & the car (for finding a nice home):

Attachment 905633

Did you check the registration book? AFAIK, the first-gen Honda City ceased production in 2003 itself. Bangalore prices sure must be hot because, and sorry to say, 4.75 lakhs is way too much money for this car. It would go for a max of 2.5 lakhs in Mumbai today. I sold my well-maintained 2003 build for 3.5 lakhs, and that's in 2010! 4.75 lakhs could get you a 2006 Civic in Bombay today.

Either ways, we're no one to comment :). As long as the buyer is happy, the price is right. Drive safe!

Thank you GTO indeed i agree with you on the price part but since i couldn't find a car as good as this car's condition it boils down to our emotions level for which we cant pay a price and that is what i under went. As you must already be aware, Bangalore usually has a slightly higher resale value than its neighbouring states. Which i hate dont know if its the road tax that induces this high resale values i always think Mumbai guys are so lucky because for the price i paid like you rightly said i could have owned a Civic. If Karnataka state official reads this post please think about reducing the road taxes please:.

And Yes this car is a 2003 feb manf reg in May. Shiv by mistake had ref this car as 2004 in the ad and i quoted that for reference

congrats Chethan.clap:
The vtec looks impeccable.
The list of mods is surely a long one, glad that the team bhp family has some of the best pepped ohc's in India to refer to.
Happy revving.

Congrats Chetan !! you got some luck man ! The Vtec is beautiful, kept so well, take care of her!

My Bad i couldn't find a nice Vtec when i was on the look out , but manage to pick up a 1.5 exi. and i am happy with the 1.5.