Team-BHP - Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/118188-skoda-superb-tryst-destiny-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2757871)
Though I do not doubt your source of information, but I have been told that 6000K crisp white light is UK road legal. Kindly see this item - E-APPROVED DRL Daytime Running Lamps 5-LED Front Lights LEGAL A LAND ROVER | eBay
In fact in the UK, from 2011 onwards, DRL are compulsory on all new cars.

I hope you have better luck with the led drls. I've wasted nearly 7000rs on trying different error free led drls aftergoing through many forums in briskoda. Unfortunately my laura wont show any mercy and keeps throwing up errors. Interestingly most who have tried it in their superb havent had any issue. No clue why that is!

Try and avoid the ebay ones as the quality is usually poor. Many from briskoda have bought theirs from here.

Canbus white 27 SMD LED BA15s 1156 382 bulbs

Hope it works for you

Browsed through some threads on Briskoda including yours :). Seems like these bulbs works fine with models of some years but tend to throw up errors on latest production models like 2011 or 2012. But there seems be no consistency. Just luck I guess. Also note that some people who got error with the bulbs, found that turning the bulb the other way round made the errors disappear.

:OT Saw a thread on Briskoda where people found it funny that Skoda is selling an RS here with a 1.8 TSI engine. They think its a crime against the vRS badge

Dkaile, I would advise you to stay away from any aftermarket modifications, especially on a fully loaded Superb. The novelty of the said LED DRLs will wither-off in a few months, but if anything goes wrong on the car (because of the update), it may trouble you for a long time.

Hi Dkaile,

After the DRLs are upgraded to LEDs, will it void the Skoda Shield for you?

I thought so, coz since CANBUS would be monitoring these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 (Post 2760050)

Well, the idea was to fool the CANBUS into believing that OE lamps are still installed with Canbus compatible LED bulbs. Anyways, I dont think it can void the warranty unless the error light comes on and stays on when I take the car to the A S S with a faulty error light coming due to wrong lamps installed by me... lolz (which I won't of course). They can't stop me from installing back the OE bulbs if these led's don't work as planned. Right now I am still to source them, so its all in the future plans.

Petrol Superb MT tops the New Sonata and the Honda Accord in this D Segment showdown in this month's Autocar -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-compared-sonata-accord.jpg

Quote:

The benchmark for the Hyundai is not the Accord, it's the Superb. The Skoda simply feels richer and more luxurious than the others, and that is a crucial victory.

A few random clicks around town clicked from my mobile (so pardon the quality) -

The Beauty and the Beast? This is one handsome angle for this car...
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-tank2.jpg

Notice the wheel arches look more balanced than the raised one's I see here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ambition-2.jpg on the newly launched Ambition. Some tweeks to the suspension?
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-tank1.jpg

The Road ahead, a driver's paradise on this superb handler, one of the best I have driven...
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-tank3.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2759463)
Dkaile, I would advise you to stay away from any aftermarket modifications, especially on a fully loaded Superb. The novelty of the said LED DRLs will wither-off in a few months, but if anything goes wrong on the car (because of the update), it may trouble you for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 (Post 2760050)
Hi Dkaile,

Guys, anything as minor as a LED install w/o cutting up the internals of a car cannot take away from the warranty of the car. Even though here in India we do not have anything (AFAIK) like the Moss-Magnuson act I'm sure our dealerships can see reason.

Having said that all we need to ensure while adding on to our car(s) is not too -
1. Software upgrade /Piggyback or any kind of tampering with the engine modules
2. No cutting up OEM wires
3. No Structural modifications

Apart from that try and get a good rapport going with your dealerships technicians. Can hardly anything be qualified as illegal or warranty voiding in a court of law if someone authorised has done it for you.

Back to the LED's and the reason the car throws an error code in some instance is that an LED draws way lesser power than a filament bulb. The car has only one way of knowing something is wrong with a particular bulb, which is the power draw of the socket in question falls below a particular threshold of tolerance; thus LED = Less power = Error Code. What you need to do is either live with the error code on your console / at startup sacrificing for the cool look the LED's afford you or install a higher wattage bulb with built in resistors (These bulbs are typically known as CANBUS compatible LEDs) to reach within the tolerance specs of the power draw. Hope this helps.

So the Superb touched 1700 on the Odo in about a month's ownership. Notice that in all local city run of 300+ km the FE has fallen to about 8.9kmpl. Pretty livable I would say for a car of this size, segment and luxury though a tad less than my Corolla which never gave less than 10kmpl in the city.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-city-consumption-1700km.jpg

Best thing as my phone automatically connects the moment I enter the car. I was facing the irritant that as soon as the phone paired it started playing music from the phone. Luckily while going through the settings, I found the setting to untick the auto play feature. So all's well now...

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-bluetooth-phone-connection.jpg

Found a nice Skoda key chain at the local Archies store. Picked it up for 150 bucks.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-keychain.jpg

Checked oil levels today. Not a tad has fallen. Maybe the oil eating feature is over hyped in the Skoda's. All's well for now...

Congratulations Dkaile on the purchase.clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2761667)

Best thing as my phone automatically connects the moment I enter the car. I was facing the irritant that as soon as the phone paired it started playing music from the phone. Luckily while going through the settings, I found the setting to untick the auto play feature. So all's well now...

Very useful feature indeed, so you keep the Bluetooth on at all times ?

After the intial pairing is done,does it connect even if the phone is it to invisible/hidden in Bluetooth settings ?

I am assuming that this car is self driven and not chauffer driven. How do you find the change in ride quality when you switch from the fortuner to superb ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150
so you keep the Bluetooth on at all times ?

After the intial pairing is done,does it connect even if the phone is it to invisible/hidden in Bluetooth settings ?

I am assuming that this car is self driven and not chauffer driven. How do you find the change in ride quality when you switch from the fortuner to superb ?

Thanks F150.
- I usually switch on the bluetooth before entering the car on my phone. It's auto detected by the car.
- Yes, it connects even in hidden mode.
- I always self drive. I sit lower than the Fortuner in the Superb. Low speed ride quality is a little stiff but still better than the Fortuner. That stiffness transforms the Superb into a much superior handler at speed which no SUV can match and it would be irrational to compare so. The road presence of the Fortuner cannot be matched by any Sedan though the Superb tries to get close with it's length. On the highways there is no match of Superb's ride quality, handling, across corners and speeds attainable (can easily do 160 on empty roads).

Overall the luxury quotient of the Superb is much higher than the Fortuner, at a lower price, and that is what I am enjoying the most for now.

Hi dkaile . Extremely well written ownership review of the Superb.
I wanted to ask you , how do you find the low beam?
I personally find it to be really bad, and the high beam on the other hand brights up the road in front like daylight.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 (Post 2761753)
I wanted to ask you , how do you find the low beam?
I personally find it to be really bad, and the high beam on the other hand brights up the road in front like daylight.

Thanks ishlinea. I find the low beam most satisfactory and better than my Fortuner as it is in HID. Immediately brightens the road on switching on. The high beam is even better with AFS functionality that automatically senses ambient light and beam of the oncoming traffic and adjusts light accordingly. There is even a travel mode which we can enable/disable for right/left hand side traffic.

Overall I must say the headlights are very futuristic and a must for Indian conditions where the drivers do not dip and blind the oncoming traffic. This is totally avoided in the Superb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile
Thanks ishlinea. I find the low beam most satisfactory and better than my Fortuner as it is in HID. Immediately brightens the road on switching on. The high beam is even better with AFS functionality that automatically senses ambient light and beam of the oncoming traffic and adjusts light accordingly. There is even a travel mode which we can enable/disable for right/left hand side traffic.

Overall I must say the headlights are very futuristic and a must for Indian conditions where the drivers do not dip and blind the oncoming traffic. This is totally avoided in the Superb.

I personally find the low beam to be unsatisfactory .
The thing is that the throw is good.
I guess I need to check on with the dealership

How is the Superb's highbeam compared to the Fortuner's? I am able to drive fast on dark roads even with front sunfilm on stock Fortuner highbeam. Obviously the more light the better, but seems that the new Fortuner's HIDs can't be easily fitted into the Classic Fort. Have been wondering what could increase the intensity - but need absolute reliability. HIDs seem to conk off once in a while - that has been stopping me from being serious about HID upgrade.

Any thoughts?