Team-BHP - Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/118188-skoda-superb-tryst-destiny-11.html)

The problem I see with these HID systems is not with the illumination of the bulbs but the auto leveling feature.

I've seen it on Audi's, Superb's and Passat's as well as my Altis. The auto levelling feature is too aggressive and cuts the light too low in front for the low beam. Sometimes you can't even see that speed breaker that you are approaching at 60km/hr.

The problem is that these can't be leveled automatically like other cars and the sensors take care of leveling based on car's angle and loading. An example of too much electronics spoiling a perfectly good design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2762388)
The problem I see with these HID systems is not with the illumination of the bulbs but the auto leveling feature.

Maybe not, one thing I noticed is that the xenons on the Laura seem to have less output than the ones on my Bimmer. Not sure why, but others have also been complaining about the low beam on Audis. Possibly a VAG thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2762319)
How is the Superb's highbeam compared to the Fortuner's? I am able to drive fast on dark roads even with front sunfilm on stock Fortuner highbeam. Obviously the more light the better, but seems that the new Fortuner's HIDs can't be easily fitted into the Classic Fort. Have been wondering what could increase the intensity - but need absolute reliability. HIDs seem to conk off once in a while - that has been stopping me from being serious about HID upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Superb's highbeams are much better than the Classic Fortuner that we own. Bi-Xenons (and that too with motorised AFS) are in a separate league from the Halogens. If anything, the OE setup of Xenon's is suppose to have longer lifespan and more reliability than the halogen's. This can be validated by the fact that Skoda is giving the 2 year unlimited km warranty even for the Bi-Xenon headlight bulbs which is NEVER given for the headlamps by most manufacturers I have heard of (see attachment) -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-warranty.jpg

Off Note: Also received today this new contraption for the Bolero Stereo. Now should be able to carry nearly all my music along -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-16gb-card.jpg

Its Class 6 16GB so should give me pretty decent/read write speeds. Costed just Rs. 408/- bucks after discount coupon (RAHUL150 or SGS50) and got it here - Strontium Memory Card 16 GB MicroSD Memory Card (Class 6)

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-16gb-card-class-6.jpg

Quote:

I've seen it on Audi's, Superb's and Passat's as well as my Altis. The auto levelling feature is too aggressive and cuts the light too low in front for the low beam. Sometimes you can't even see that speed breaker that you are approaching at 60km/hr.

The problem is that these can't be leveled automatically like other cars and the sensors take care of leveling based on car's angle and loading. An example of too much electronics spoiling a perfectly good design.

Many things are much over-hyped. As a actual user I can vouch that the current breed of Superb's have an excellent Bi-Xenon setup and auto levelling works perfectly.

"Can't see a speed breaker at 60km/hr" is just an undigestible statement, as far as my experience with the Superb goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2762437)
Many things are much over-hyped. As a actual user I can vouch that the current breed of Superb's have an excellent Bi-Xenon setup and auto levelling works perfectly for my driving style.

"Can't see a speed breaker at 60km" is just an undigestible statement, as far as my experience with the Superb goes.

Okay but my uncle has a superb as well as my Altis and both have auto leveling. Both have very sharp and low cut off points which means the distance which the low beam cuts off is less. As a result when you want to see a bit further you can't especially on unlit roads.

You may disagree and say that the Superb has the best lighting but I'm just saying from my driving experience of both cars with auto leveling.

I would have preferred a manual leveling controlled by the dial to move the beam up or down.

When I say you can't see a speed breaker at 60km/hr I obviously mean till you are close to it and need to be a little aggressive on the brakes.

I agree completely when you say that things are over hyped. I guess sometimes people can never accept that cars are not perfect and tend to be a bit biased. I usually pay attention to such small points.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2762457)
I agree completely when you say that things are over hyped. I guess sometimes people can never accept that cars are not perfect and tend to be a bit biased. I usually pay attention to such small points.:)

No car is perfect, neither is phone nor a wife (lolz) for that matter. I too am a stickler for details. I would have loved a manual control too in Indian conditions, which are not as smooth as the European one's for which these cars were primarily built. And there may be many flaws in each of the cars that we drive. But, in the current breed of Superb's (the 2012 built), this at least, is not one of them. I just love the Bi-Xenon setup of my Superb after having driven in pitch dark, rotten, pot holed North Indian Highways especially when I compare these to the Fortuner and Corolla that I own/have owned. Fortuner's low beams are a cause of worry for many, but even it's headlights are a gem on high beams though not comparable to the Superb's even with their manual levelling controls.

Due credit should be given where required as should necessary criticism when the things get beyond our control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2762477)
No car is perfect, neither is phone nor a wife (lolz) in this world. I too am a stickler for details. I would have loved a manual control too in Indian conditions, which are not as smooth as the European one's for which these cars were primarily built. And there may be many flaws in each of the cars that we drive. But, in the current breed of Superb's (the 2012 built), this at least, is not one of them. I just love the Bi-Xenon setup of my Superb after having driven in pitch dark, rotten, pot holed North Indian Highways especially when I compare these to the Fortuner and Corolla that I own/have owned. Fortuner's low beams are a cause of worry for many, but even it's headlights are a gem on high beams though not comparable to the Superb's even with their manual levelling controls.

Due credit should be given where required as should necessary criticism when the things get beyond our control.

Yup agreed. The manual control would have been better than the self leveling. As I mentioned I have no issues with the illumination just with the beam throw distance. As of now it's adequate but on indian roads not the best.

My uncle took the delivery of his superb on April 7th so it's from the latest batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2762477)
I just love the Bi-Xenon setup of my Superb after having driven in pitch dark, rotten, pot holed North Indian Highways especially when I compare these to the Fortuner and Corolla that I own/have owned. Fortuner's low beams are a cause of worry for many, but even it's headlights are a gem on high beams though not comparable to the Superb's even with their manual levelling controls.

I think a large part of the criticism comes when people have compared it to other cars. Sure compared to the Fortuner and the Corolla you owned the Superbs lights are, well, superb. But for me, and some others if compared to the BMWs xenons (can't think of another company right now) they seem a tad bit inadequate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2762457)
I guess sometimes people can never accept that cars are not perfect and tend to be a bit biased. I usually pay attention to such small points.:)

Like Vid is saying, you seem to get offended when anyone points out a negative of any of the cars which you own. Infact it might not be a negative, but just an observation. Why not take in into consideration that there may be better headlight setups than the Superb, rather than just rubbish the claims.

Anyway have you checked the oil consumption? Has your car been eating any oil? My 1.8tsi seems to be on the middle between min and max after 3100kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 2762556)
Anyway have you checked the oil consumption? Has your car been eating any oil? My 1.8tsi seems to be on the middle between min and max after 3100kms.

As I mentioned in my 1700km post here yesterday - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2761667 , not a mm drop in oil levels till now on the dipstick. And I check very minutely every Sunday. Maybe it is after 2.5~3K that the oil drop begins. Will keep all updated as and when it happens.

I would disagree with being critical of the Superb's lighting being so inadequate on low beams, that one cannot judge the road ahead at speeds over 60kmph.

I have extensively driven my friend and fellow TBHPian @swanand's superb and have had no issues stated in the posts above.

And most important of all, wherever these cars are designed (lets say Europe), won't they have speed breakers on those roads too..?
:D

Oh, since when did Superb's lights become a debatable issue?
Agreed, they arent the best available lights in the world, but they are much better than most OEM's available.

Ive been driving the Superb for almost a year now, and never have I felt that the lights are inadequate. Be it within city or on highways. The lights are more than sufficient.

That said, I agree with Akshay, the Bimmers lights are better than the one's on Superb.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 (Post 2763017)
I would disagree with being critical of the Superb's lighting being so inadequate on low beams, that one cannot judge the road ahead at speeds over 60kmph.

I have extensively driven my friend and fellow TBHPian @swanand's superb and have had no issues stated in the posts above.

And most important of all, wherever these cars are designed (lets say Europe), won't they have speed breakers on those roads too..?
:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar (Post 2763988)
Oh, since when did Superb's lights become a debatable issue?
Agreed, they arent the best available lights in the world, but they are much better than most OEM's available.

Ive been driving the Superb for almost a year now, and never have I felt that the lights are inadequate. Be it within city or on highways. The lights are more than sufficient.

That said, I agree with Akshay, the Bimmers lights are better than the one's on Superb.

Guys, please read my earlier post that I have quoted again. The debate is not about the superb's lights at all.

I have clearly mentioned that the problem is with the auto leveling feature that new cars come with. The cut off beam length is too aggressive and too low.

If it was a manual system it would have been better since we can adjust a little higher on highway roads. That's all that I was trying to highlight. I am seeing this problem across the board with the cars that have auto leveling feature.

Ah, my bad Vid. I misunderstood what was written. Yes, agreed, on the highway, I wouldve preferred the beam to be a bit higher, than what it is. You know, just so that I get better long distance viewability.
Apart from that, the lights do a good job per se.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar (Post 2764228)
Ah, my bad Vid. I misunderstood what was written. Yes, agreed, on the highway, I wouldve preferred the beam to be a bit higher, than what it is. You know, just so that I get better long distance viewability.
Apart from that, the lights do a good job per se.

I have read on Briskoda, that it is possible to have the main beams aligned for a higher level for the Superb as part of Calibration of the beam that the Skoda A.s.s guys do. If you request them to raise it, they should be able to do it to your preference.
In terms of light level output, a Xenon 35W lamp typically emits 3000 Lumens of light from the lamp and 2400 Lumens on the road (considering 80% optical efficiency of the projector optical assembly). Comparatively , a 55W Halogen bulb (premium) emits 1300 Lumens and around 1000 Lumens on the road (75% reflector optics efficiency).
That said, the actual light on the road for a Xenon Lamp vs Halogen lamp is 2.5 times.
Visibility will definitely be better with Xenons (as long as colour temperature is below 5000 Kelvin), if the Beam spread and focus are good. The cutoff with the shutters is what actually cuts the beam and prevents the lights from blinding other oncoming traffic. These shutters are adjustable either through the software or through hard levers/ screws adjustable from outside the headlight assembly.

Some info on the VCDS process here:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Xenon_with_AFS)

Regards,
Behemoth