Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 13:55   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What? Bonnet release is on passenger side??? hmmm...
if you press the "unlock" buton twice, it does not open the boot?
Yes, Superb has a passenger side bonnet release though it is opened only once in a while, but a stretching exercise none-the-less. Unlock button 'unlocks' the twin door boot but doesn't pop it open like the middle button in the remote does and most mall security does not know where to press to open the boot. And the middle button doesn't pop the boot open while the engine is on. The Superb MK1 supposedly had a dedicated boot release button.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:56   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The car gave a overall 'phenomenal' mileage of 12.2kmpl on this 575km trip. Thanks to the denser air and cooler climate the car has also been running smoother than ever before. No snags to report except the car drank about 250ml oil in the interim, which I had reported some posts back. The lowest temperature encountered in the car was 4.5C though Meerut touched an all time low in its history of -0.4C. This is one solid car.
Congratulations Dkaile. 12 KMPL is very very healthy for that monster resting under the hood.

Quote:
My list of irritants -
- Bonnet release on wrong side
Now that is a pretty significant irritant, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yup, this is a normal trait of cars mainly manufactured for left hand drive markets along with indicator stalks being on the other side of the steering wheel.
True Devdath but the least you'd expect the manufacturer to do is to address this. You don't expect them to cut corners like these on a 2 million plus rupees car.

Quote:
But the Laura has it on the Driver's side!
Indicator and wiper stalk positions are something one can get used to, but the bonnet opener on passenger side is a real pain...
Exactly. My Laura has the lever placed on driver's side so it is not as if Skoda forgot about it.

Quote:
The Laura has been altered to a greater level than the Superb.

I do not think it is a big issue since the bonnet is not opened very frequently unless one goes to a high security area like a 5 star hotel every day, but then, opinions differ.
Quote:
We have to open it everyday while entering office parking and we sympathize with the Fiesta, Fabia and (old) Logan owners who have to go through the ordeal...
Oh you'll be surprised how often you need to pop the bonnet nowadays owing to increased security measures implemented by all agencies. Standard operating procedure across 5-star properties, malls, office complexes, theaters etc..

I would imagine it would be nightmarish if you're not driving with a co-passenger; you know having to stretch and crane each time to get to the misplaced lever!
Old 9th January 2013, 15:30   #393
Senior - BHPian

A good article in Autocar today about "Do you really need a diesel?" or "Why I am laughing all the way to the bank with an average 10k kms/year mileage in my Petrol Superb?"

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-imageresizerwm.ashxnhttp3a2f2fi.haymarket.net.au2ffeatures2fautocarindiapetrol_diesel.jpg

Link : http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...-diesel.aspx/2
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 12:39   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Superb vs Camry vs Sonata vs Accord Shootout in this month's Autocar India

Attachment 993067

After Overdrive magazine, its now the turn of Autocar India to give the same verdict. The last line is quite interesting and sums it all for me. It's Skoda's Tryst with Destiny -
It was both these magazines and all your posts which finally tilted my decision towards buying a Superb .thanks mate
Nik9912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 12:45   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik9912 View Post
It was both these magazines and all your posts which finally tilted my decision towards buying a Superb .thanks mate
Congratulations. Which variant did you buy mate? Do post a ownership or some photos at least.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:06   #396
BHPian

i got the Petrol automatic Elegance,Black colour for same reason as you -less than 10km per year .my home and office are only 2 km apart . probably the reason im getting very lousy mileage of around 6 with no long runs yet ( my only outstation trip got me 13 km)
Got it on diwali day .
but have been travelling a lot after that ,hence was unable to do a long post .
also which section can i post pics ,the new rules have left me all confused
Old 14th January 2013, 13:22   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations Nik. The Superb quite simply owns its segment. Superb choice buddy - can't resist the pun!

I thought Skoda has discontinued the Elegance 1.8 TSI AT because the DSG's were problem-plagued. Have you managed to get your hands on the last of them?

More details please! Dealership? Discounts you managed?

Also please put up an ownership report and pictures.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 14th January 2013 at 13:30.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:22   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i got the Petrol automatic Elegance,Black colour
Hmmm. These Petrol 7 Speed DSG's are a little troublesome. Do keep a watch out for them. You can post a photo even here if you wish or open a new ownership thread.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:37   #399
BHPian

yep.i read about all those issues.was assured that 2012 model onwards didn't have them.with bombay traffic i had no choice but automatic
hence i took the plunge as i didnt find any other car suitable in that price bracket
i've had some minor niggles with the car .i'll write about it this week

I can post a pic here by uploading to Imgur etc right ?
will do an ownership post too

Thanks Omtoatom .got 2 lacs flat discount for booking on dassera day .previous week it was between 80k-1.3 lac .waited as i knew i'll get a better deal.went on dassera day to 2 dealers ,negotiated and got this.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:55   #400
Senior - BHPian

One Year - 1st Service Update - 9392 kms, 11-03-2013

So the Superb was nearing its 1 year mark (on 25/3/13), so I went in for the 1st servicing today at 9392 kms.

Meter shows 9393kms (post servicing)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_1.jpg

Thorough Vacuuming and Shampoo treatment
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_2.jpg

The Engine Bay was also polished. No 3M treatment like the Toyota's however.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_3.jpg

The replaced Air Filter
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_5-air-filter.jpg

Fuel Filter
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_6-fuel-filter.jpg

AC and Pollen Cabin Filter
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_7-ac-pollen-filter.jpg

The oil filter was dirty with oil, so I didn't click a photo.

4.6L of Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Oil used from sealed can
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_8-oil.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_9-oil.jpg

The Total Bill was Rs. 8271/=. No labour charged.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_10-bill-rs-8271.jpg

Besides the above replacements, I got the tyres rotated, front to back only (as the Stepney is non-alloy steel rimed), the disk brakes cleaned by compressed air and battery cover tightened, which were all done free of charge.

NO FAULTS encountered till date in the 1 year of ownership, except the small battery drain issue which has not recurred since.
Fabulous ownership experience.

Besides, I also renewed the Insurance to only 3rd party Insurance. Total cost is just Rs. 3374/=.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-11032012_11-insurance-rs-3374.jpg

Was quoted 45,000/- for Skoda Secure zero depreciating comprehensive insurance. Money saved on this front is 41,500/- . Total money saved in last 5 years on my 4 cars (including the Fortuner), which are all 3rd party insured from 2nd year onwards, is upwards of Rs. 5.0 Lacs. This goes into the Car Emergency Fund, but the money remains in my pockets and not that of the insurance company. Yes, its a radical thought, already discussed on my Fortuner thread.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 11th March 2013 at 18:00.
dkaile is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 12:48   #401
Senior - BHPian

Some more photos in the life of the Superb after 1 year of usage. Still looks as good as the day I brought it home -

The aggressive front
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_1-front.jpg

The elegant rear, gradually the quirky lights grow on you
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_2-rear.jpg

The engine, polished like new, and running like new too
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_3-engine.jpg

Some front angles
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_4-front.jpg

With bonnet open
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_5-front-open.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_6-front.jpg

Some interior shots. The Steering, no wear and tear
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_7-steering.jpg

All looks like new
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_8-interiors.jpg

Dash with a polished hue. The build quality rivals cars costing twice as much.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_9-interiors.jpg

The gear knob, no wear here either
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_10-gear-knob.jpg

The beige brake lever and Lamella rubber cover for the cup holders. Still spick and span
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_11-brake-lever.jpg

The Rear. Can't re-iterate the abounding space here
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_12-rear-interiors.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_15-rear-interiors.jpg

The beige leather is holding well
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_13-rear-interiors.jpg

The œuvre d'art rear door with the side curtains
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_14-rear-door.jpg

A panorama
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_16-interiors.jpg

The huge rear parcel shelf
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_17-rear-parcel-tray.jpg

The clean boot. The stepney hasn't been used even once
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_18-boot.jpg

The rear in hatch mode
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_19-boot-open.jpg

The final view
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-1st-service-9392km-12032012_20-stock.jpg

He he, got you there! That's a stock photo but that's exactly how the car still looks if I had shot it with a SLR.

Besides, some other points I learned on my ASC visit -

1. The OE oil is greenish transparent in colour
2. The Gear Oil is filled for the life of the car. No replacements needed for the 1.8 TSI Manual Transmission version.
3. So is the OE Coolant. It is only topped up if necessary, no replacements needed for the life of the car.

The ASC experience was absolutely smooth. I had phoned one day in advance and booked an appointment. The service advisor was waiting for me. I was on the shop floor all the time and all parts were replaced in my presence (though a little arm twisting was needed for that). It took all of 3 hours from start to finish to hand over the car to me.

At 17 lacs (ex-showroom) that I paid for this, this is turning out to be one hell of a deal especially when I see cars half its size and features selling for twice the price. The Skoda Superb is 'still' one hell of a value proposition especially now with its improved after sales support.

Last edited by dkaile : 12th March 2013 at 13:09.
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 16:00   #402
BANNED

Quote:
Some more photos in the life of the Superb after 1 year of usage. Still looks as good as the day I brought it home
Congrats on a splendid first year of acquisition and wish you many happy kilometres ahead.

I simply love this car. The looks, the features, the performance, the space, the fit and finish... it is simply a class apart.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 17:41   #403
BHPian

Congrats Sir on the first birthday of your beauty. It just feels like yesterday and difficult to believe that you have finished a year already.

Probably very late in the day (exactly one year actually) but I must say and I hope you believe me, I have been following your thread almost daily. Trust me there isn't an instance when I have logged on to Teambhp and I haven't looked for updates on your thread.

One of my favourite vehicles and definitely one of my favourite ownership reviews. As I have said before yours is an aspirational garage (Superb + Fortuner).

A point on the service cost. I remember paying over INR 10,000 for first service and close to INR 15,000 for second service (including brake pad change) on my Vento. Given that the Superb costs almost twice what you paid seems farily reasonable more so since it needs servicing only once a year

Last edited by miharbe : 13th March 2013 at 17:45.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 19:24   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on a splendid first year of acquisition and wish you many happy kilometres ahead.
Thank you n.devdath for the best wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Congrats Sir on the first birthday of your beauty.

A point on the service cost. I remember paying over INR 10,000 for first service and close to INR 15,000 for second service (including brake pad change) on my Vento. Given that the Superb costs almost twice what you paid seems farily reasonable more so since it needs servicing only once a year
Thanks miharbe. Yes, Superb is reasonable to maintain given that it goes in for service only once a year.

Few other pointers-

1. The AC seems to have increased in efficiency, not that I was facing any issues as it is, after the cabin filter change. Also the slight foul smell that used to emanate on start-up has disappeared. I would strongly recommend people to get the Pollen/Dust filter changed regularly especially in Indian dusty conditions and maybe even every 6 months.

2. So much depends upon proper maintenance of a car for it to remain in peak running condition and give years of trouble free service. I came across this article where a guy in America has a similar 1.8T engine'd Jetta which has clocked up 500000 miles (804672 kms). Even more impressive is the lack of wear in the engine. All the components were still in factory specification. His explanation - Use of synthetic oil, use of fuel system cleaner every 10000 miles and platinum spark plugs. So much for the critics of the German built cars - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mystified.html

3. I see so many people criticising service networks of these european cars. What they forget is the work ethics is still Indian whether at the Skoda or Toyota ASC i.e. a lot is still based on 'jugaad'. Yes, I have encountered both and there is hardly any difference in them IMHO. Proper training, wages and work culture still lacks. So it is more prudent to be proactive at your own level. Avoid leaving your cars overnight at ASC's. Give your precious few hours each year to your car and personally supervise all work in your presence rather than repent later. These practices go a long way in wholesome ownership experience bereft of unnecessary criticism. Automobile Service Utopia is a dream in India and it is prudent to accept this fact rather than to go on cribbing the lack of it.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 13th March 2013 at 19:25.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 18:51   #405
Senior - BHPian

The Superb has its 1st puncture. I was monitoring the tyre pressure since last 2 months and every now and then the TPMS light used to pop on. It was consistently dropping around 10 psi every 10 days, so there was a small leak. Finally got time today. 3 small nails removed, 1 had penetrated. Tubeless tyre therapy undergone whereby they somewhat drill a hole in the tyre (manually) and fix in some rubber sealant and compound. 50 bucks and 10 minutes were the total damages...

Most Viewed