Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 10:41   #76
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Shockingly all tyres were at 55~58psi. That explains the slightly bumpy ride I was getting and slightly higher tyre noise filtering in. Reset it to 33psi at the front and 36psi at the rear and felt a dramatic change in the ride quality. These Goodyears ain't that bad.
The same thing happened with me as well. While I took the delivery of my skoda fabia elegance diesel last year, i felt the ride quality quite bumpy, stopped to tank up and to my surprise the tyre pressure was 50~52 psi. I reset it to 32 psi and the difference was quite significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
33 and 36 psi is still too high for Indian conditions IMO. Something like 32 psi should be ideal. As Anshuman mentioned, VW group have a tendency to recommend very high pressures. The recommended rear pressure under full load for the Laura is an insane 48 psi.
33 and 36 psi is still too high for Indian conditions. I use 33 psi in winters and 32 psi in summers and got good results in both ride quality and FE. 48 psi looks quite on the higher side.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:21   #77
BHPian

@Dkaile This is one of the most incredible owner reports I have read in these last 3 years! I meant it and no gassing here.

Superb is a superb machine, but its your heart which comes out in each post - you are seriously in love man! Mrs. @Dkaile will be watching your every move..
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 18:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

So the SUPERB saga continues
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-2-skoda-superb-logo2.jpg

More pictures of the left out items and display with phone connectivity -

Left Rear Door. Notice the 2 speakers, the sun blind, the wood finish trim and lower storage.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-3-superb-back-door-view.jpg

This door also houses the famous 'Superb Umbrella'. Notice the Red hazard light on the door and also the mood lighting below the front seats.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-4-superb-umbrella.jpg

The back seat display. Gives Time and Outside Temperature display.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-5-superb-backseat-display.jpg

The Storage below the display to store your mobile etc. along with the 12V power point.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-6-superb-backseat-display-open.jpg

Lots of hooks on the back seat. 2 hooks and 2 coat hangers to be exact. Notice the soft velvet type (black colour) bidding on the doors for superb noise insulation.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-7-superb-backseat-hooks.jpg

The back seats roof lights
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-8-superb-backseat-lights.jpg

Now comes the main Stereo Display ~
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-9-superb-stereo-display.jpg

A close-up of the display
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-10-superb-stereo-display2.jpg

My Samsung Galaxy S2 CDMA (called EPIC 4G Touch) now connected via bluetooth to the car. Notice that cell tower strength is also displayed.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-11-superb-stereo-display4-phone1.jpg

The same is also displayed in the centre Instrument Cluster MID. Notice it also displayes the Battery Strength, Cell Tower Strength, Bluetooth and A2DP (music streaming) signs.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-12-superb-mid-display-phone-connected0.jpg

The beautiful Instrument dials with the Cell Phone display
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-13-superb-mid-display-phone-connected.jpg

My phone book got automatically transferred in a jiffy to the car
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-14-superb-stereo-display5-phonebook.jpg

The same phone book is also displayed in the MID
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-15-superb-mid-display-phone-book.jpg

You can set your choice of ringtone for the Phone in the Stereo, or lets now call it the Multi-Media System
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-16-superb-mid-display-phone-ringtone.jpg

The Touchscreen Phone Dialler
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-17-superb-stereo-display5-phone2.jpg

The Dialled Number List on the MID
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-18-superb-mid-display-phone-dialled-numbers.jpg

Bluetooth Music Streaming from my phone to the Music System
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-19-superb-bt-music-streaming.jpg

Source of music can be easily changed/selected
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-20-superb-stereo-display3-bt-audio1.jpg

More following...

Last edited by dkaile : 30th March 2012 at 18:09.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 18:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

The Dual Zone AC working. Notice it has 2 Auto Mode - Low and High. Right now right light over the Auto switch is on so it is on High.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-21-superb-dual-zone-ac.jpg

The best position for Indian conditions with the Auto and Recirculation mode ON. there are also 2 Recirc mode - One normal and 2nd with Air Quality Monitoring. Right now second Recirc mode is on. Notice the Light on the right of the Recirc button is ON to signify it is on Air Quality Monitoring Mode.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-22-superb-dual-zone-ac1.jpg

The Dual auto display also comes on the Multi-Media (MM) screen.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-23-superb-dual-zone-ac2-display.jpg

The Optical Parking System. It's very accurate.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-24-superb-optical-parking-display.jpg

Aux-In (iPod) connected
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-25-superb-stereo-display6-aux1.jpg

The same is also displayed on the MM screen.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-26-superb-stereo6-aux.jpg

The Stereo Tone Setup. Notice the Speed Dependent Volume Control Settings (just like my Falcon)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-27-superb-stereo-display5-setup.jpg

Now for some other minor stuff ~

The beautifully crafted Front Door Opening Knobs with Lock/Unlock buttons (on both doors). Notice the amber lock light is ON. Also visible is a small white led behind the chrome knob (right now off)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-28-superb-front-door-lock-indicator.jpg

The Hood Release Lever on the Passenger Side
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-29-superb-hood-release-lever.jpg

The Interior Monitor and Towing Protection Monitor on/off switch located besides the drivers seat. This is necessary as the Alarm system also monitors vehicle inclination and interior movement. This is necessary when you lock the car with children or pets inside or the vehicle is being transported or towed.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-30-superb-interior-monitor.jpg

The Steering Adjust lever. The steering adjusts for reach and rake. The steering was initially fouling my left leg until I discoved this and adjusted to perfection. It has quite long adjustments to suit all body frame sizes.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-31-superb-steering-adjust.jpg

The Sun Glass Holder. Inside is coated with very soft beige latex for softness and cushioning
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-32-superb-sunglass-holder.jpg

With my full sized Ray-Ban's inside.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-33-superb-sunglass-holder1.jpg

The Driver Side Vanity Mirror. Notice the light which comes on ONLY when the glass cover is moved. Neat!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-34-superb-vanity-mirror-driver.jpg

Same on the Passenger Side
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-35-superb-vanity-mirror-passenger.jpg

I had to fabricate a ramp support with the help of my in-house welder so that both the Superb and Fortuner along with a 3rd Santro/i10 can fit into my driveway.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-36-superb-ramp-support.jpg

My Driver Side Foot Mat was missing one lock which I failed to check at the time of the delivery. Raised the complaint with my dealer. Hope to get that small (irritant) part soon (or if someone could help me procure one).
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-driver-side-mat-missing-lock.jpg

Goodbye for now from Skoda's Superb...
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-1-skoda-superb-logo.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 30th March 2012 at 18:38.
dkaile is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 21:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

I never knew that superb is as superb it is looking to me now, a liitle late though but still congratulations on your new acquisition, she's damn hot.

I must comment on your writing skills, extremely descriptive review covering every small detail of the car . I should say after reading this thread, i am in love with this car. Damn the skoda *** horror stories this thing is pure VFM.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with her, drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 22:16   #81
Team-BHP Support

Great pictures, its a nice change to see so many pics. Other people with this engine have had almost a litre of engine oil needed to be topped up, so keep an eye on that. I am too, and this engine is a real gem. Also it will keep surprising you with little thoughtful features.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 09:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Its feature list is surprising me every day especially especially when I am used to the frugal Toyota's -

+s
- All door glasses are one touch up/down with anti pinch.
- The sun roof is also anti-pinch.
- My Phone is automatically detected every time I enter the car and BT Music starts streaming.
- The voice detection is also working perfectly. It detected my command "CALL <my brother's name>" on first try and immediately dialled the number. All details are visible both on the MID and the Stereo screen concurrently.
- The coming home / welcome lights switch on automatically but only on Auto mode.
- The auto cornering lights are especially a boon on dark roads in a tight corner.
- The seats get adjusted to your memory on opening by that particular remote automatically.
- Anti glare function on Rear view and side mirrors works very well. Miss the anti-glare function of the side mirrors on my Fortuner.
- The engine is so silent on idle that sometimes I have cranked it twice. Thankfully the car has protection against double crank.
- The rear and back sun blinds cocoon you when privacy is required at the back
- Drive it with a light foot and FE can easily be got exceeding 14kmpl on the highway. though the engine urges you to just rocket it but 1500kms break-in period is must. Am trying to keep the car below 2000 rpm till then.
- There is light in the front centre console too.
- All four doors have red hazard/door open warning lights.
- The hazard switch on the centre console also blinks when switched on along with the indicator lights.
- The tyres are feeling quite comfortable with the right pressure
- It was standing yesterday, side by side with a friends 2 year old E class and and having a better presence and visual appeal

-s
- Rear Visibility is a issue
- dust magnet
- yet to receive registration papers and other documentations from the Haldwani dealer
- Non availability of a small part like the foot mat plastic lock at the local Meerut dealer

The car till now is driving in a no nonsense style of the Toyota's. Keeping fingers crossed.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 13:41   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The Dual Zone AC working. Notice it has 2 Auto Mode - Low and High. Right now right light over the Auto switch is on so it is on High.
Attachment 909288
Call me blind but I totally didn't notice or even read about this feature until your post, despite having owned the car for over 9 months!
I assume this should take care of these crazy hot summers fast approaching.

Regarding the tire pressure. I'd suggest going for a slightly higher setting - about 33psi all around for your 205s.
I've upgraded to 225/40/18s and 35 psi seems optimal for performance and FE. Ride comfort is a tad compromised but I don't mind that at all. Anything below 35 psi and there's considerable wheel spin when I have my lead foot on. I'm tempted to even try 36 psi at some point, but considering tires remain warmer in the summers there probably isn't as much of a need to bring them up to temperature for optimal performance (aside from the usual 5-10 minutes from a cold start).

Also, I'm assuming they suggest a slightly higher psi for the rear tires for the slight yaw in balance towards the rear under heavy acceleration, being a FWD.

Let us know if you do play around with the pressure settings and your results.
Cheers!
Old 1st April 2012, 13:32   #84
BHPian

Congrats on the car Bro ! That car is indeed overloaded with goodies ! By the way , we should both shake hands on that number !
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-0033-laura.jpg  

Old 1st April 2012, 17:14   #85
BHPian

dkaile, 'superb' review this is. It's almost like an official TBHP review! Thanks for the pics. This car wasn't in my radar at all, and after reading your thread, I'm starting to think about upgrading. very hard.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:15   #86
BHPian

Hello dkaile,
Keep up the good work buddy. Well done for the loads of detailed pics. Your thread reminds me of the "Bentley Joins the family" created by Manuuj. He has also posted a very detailed review and pics like yours. Thanks to both of you. Indeed the superb is a superb car and is superb in the quality aspect as well. Also loaded to the brim as far as features are concerned. It is a true alternative for the Mercedes and BMW in and around 20 Lakhs bracket. It is a complete VFM car. I had a long test drive of superb last year when I bought my Skoda Fabia Elegance deisel and I was quite amazed by the car. A bit of lag can be observed prior to the 1500 rpm but i am ok with it and i am sure many of us are also don't mind that, but after that boy o boy what a transformation, the punch can be felt from inside and outside both . The wooden trim, the sun blinds, the Bolero music system and that MID are some of the things just to name a few which makes the car class apart in the segment. That umbrella reminds me of RR.
db0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Great pictures, its a nice change to see so many pics. Other people with this engine have had almost a litre of engine oil needed to be topped up, so keep an eye on that. I am too, and this engine is a real gem. Also it will keep surprising you with little thoughtful features.

Great point made by Akshay.
Forgot to write about that part in my post.

In the 1st 5000 clicks or so, do keep a spare can of oil in the boot.
You wouldnt want to be stuck on a nice highway, with the "Fill oil" message popping on the MID.

P.S: Coming to oil, what has been used in your Superb? Is it Castrol, or is your dealer selling Shell?
Mine still gets topped up with Shell.
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
In the 1st 5000 clicks or so, do keep a spare can of oil in the boot.
You wouldnt want to be stuck on a nice highway, with the "Fill oil" message popping on the MID.

P.S: Coming to oil, what has been used in your Superb? Is it Castrol, or is your dealer selling Shell?
Mine still gets topped up with Shell.
I had already discussed my apprehension about oil top-up. Nice idea to carry a spare can, but I am getting only 4 litre pack in the market. Need to search for a 1 litre pack.

The manual suggests Castrol and same has now been embossed on the leather manual cover. Same was informed by the dealer. It's very difficult to ascertain the exact oil filled by the company on delivery.
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:49   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Majority of components and functions are shared with other Skoda cars. My Laura has quite a lot of functions similar to this. Nice Updates!!

Quote:
With my full sized Ray-Ban's inside.
Attachment 909300
That is wrong way to use the glasses holder, the front portion of the glasses has to be inside, the reason there is soft lining to prevent scratches on glasses.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd April 2012 at 23:50.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the lovely review Dkaile. The attention to detail pretty much beats all reviews I have seen so far and ofcourse it marks the passion that you have and the energy put behind all the effort. I never knew Superb was such a superb product with such endless features.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed