Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 11:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
You gotta be doing something drastically different! All I've managed is a mere 13.1 kpl (:/). That, doing speeds of 80-100.
Is that 13.1 in Highway or City. I feel 18 @ 80KMPH is achievable in highway. Cruise control gets better FE in highways.

Quote:
But I am really missing the accurate park assist screen with front sonars of my dear Falcon
Guess the modification is not difficult either. If they can install a reverse parking sensor how difficult it would be to set one for the first gear and installing some parking sensons on the front.

In City even a diesel Superb will struggle to get 14. I mean real city traffic like a Bangalore or Chennai Mount road from Central to even Nandanam
Old 9th April 2012, 13:22   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
18.5!.

You gotta be doing something drastically different! All I've managed is a mere 13.1 kpl (:/). That, doing speeds of 80-100.
That was on a downhill run. It's not that difficult. Somehow I always feel a manual can give better mileage and driving pleasure than a AT/DSG, not withstanding what the company may claim. On the highway, the maximum I managed was around 14.3 kmpl. In the city it should be around 9~10kmpl. Overall, if I get a figure of 11kmpl (the same that I was getting on my Corolla), I would be a most satisfied customer, because this engine is a rocket compared to the Corolla with a 0-100 in 8.56 second and a top speed of 220kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Is that 13.1 in Highway or City. I feel 18 @ 80KMPH is achievable in highway. Cruise control gets better FE in highways.

Guess the modification is not difficult either. If they can install a reverse parking sensor how difficult it would be to set one for the first gear and installing some parking sensons on the front.

In City even a diesel Superb will struggle to get 14. I mean real city traffic like a Bangalore or Chennai Mount road from Central to even Nandanam
- I did not use cruise control. I doubt if 18 can be managed on any highway in India over a consistent period of time in this car.
- Front sonar's are available off-market but somehow I am stickler to stock unless I can be assured of a very OE job or I do it myself.
- I expect a city mileage of around 9~10kmpl for this car/engine.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th April 2012 at 13:25.
Old 9th April 2012, 13:50   #108
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is an MT, while mine is the DSG AT.
Thanks for that clarification.

@VW2010: The FE I got, was on the NH4.
Old 10th April 2012, 18:43   #109
Senior - BHPian

Driving leisurely back from my daily tennis trip today(at 40~50kmph), I had a chance to test the 'supposed' 8.5 sec dash to 100 that the company claims for the Superb. The road was almost empty and a zip zapping motorcycle driver was seen cris-crossing in my rear view mirror honking badly. With me having crossed the 1200 mark on the odo, I thought the time was ripe to test the ballistic missile. One press on the pedal and zoooom it went. Even surprised me! I just about managed to see his dropped jaw in awe (as was mine, lolz) in the rear view mirror where after which he sheepishly disappeared from view.

So much for a massive vehicle with a perceived 'lack' of spirited drive!! I realised at that moment why I loved my previous Corolla so much. A petrol manual is a petrol manual and no oil burner really comes close. And the Superb has even replaced the Corolla in my heart for now...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 09:03   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
18.5!.

Hi

What Milage you get during normal city driving in Pune
Old 14th April 2012, 09:07   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Mileage Test Run + Trip to Jim Corbett/Nainital
(Personal/Non Auto Photos kept to minimum to avoid them being removed from this Ownership thread)

Now a Mileage Test Run cum Trip to Jim Corbett/Nainital was conducted from the 1st to the 4th April 2012 to ascertain Ownership Experience.

The trip starts with the family at 6am sharp
Attachment 912016

A very healthy 13.5kmpl mileage is got immediately within a few kms
Attachment 912017

It's stretched to 13.6 soon
Attachment 912018

A few stoppages and road blocks/railway crossings en-route make it drop again
Attachment 912019

First Stop at Mc-Donald's Gajrauala
Attachment 912020

The Superb looking handsome as ever
Attachment 912021

The humongous boot can swallow a lot
Attachment 912022

Soon the mileage picks up again
Attachment 912023

Someone once mentioned to me sceptically that the Superb can never do 14kmpl!!
Attachment 912024

Finally reached our Room on the banks of Kosi River at Corbett
Attachment 912025

More following...
Hi

Great Report. What average milage you achieve in normal city driving in Merrut?
Old 14th April 2012, 10:20   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
Hi

Great Report. What average milage you achieve in normal city driving in Merrut?
Depends greatly on your driving style. If driven aggressively, the average can fall to 8kmpl in the city otherwise driven normally, it should be around 10kmpl in the city, 11~13 on the highway and at least 11kmpl overall.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:21   #113

Quote:
In fact the OTR was 18.4 Lacs and not 19L. If I would have taken the delivery at Delhi from Jai Auto and got it registered myself at Haldwani I would have saved a further 30K and then the OTR would have been around 18.1L. Kindly note that registration in Uttaranchal is only 2.5% of the invoice value (which was 17.3L for me). Discount was in the figure of 1.7L from Jai Auto. Form 21 states the Make of vehicle as February 2012.

Now the quote you have been getting is presumably post excise duty hike where the base price has been increased to the tune of about 1 to 1.5L. Plus the discounts have also been reduced to around 60 to 80K. Also the registration may be more in Chennai. If I would go out today to purchase the same model I would need to shell out around 20.5L in Uttaranchal after all discounts. Kindly also note that they have 'added' the Keyless Entry and Start/Stop Button feature in this model post excise duty hike to retain their customers.

Hope that clarifies your doubts.

Off note - The steering is much lighter, the turning radius is much tighter and maneuverability of the Superb is much better than the Fortuner. Also the front and rear sonar with on screen display is a real boon in the narrow lane I live in. The screen display is very accurate. The steering feel of the Fortuner is much heavier in comparison but then it is a much heavier SUV class vehicle. But I am really missing the accurate park assist screen with front sonars of my dear Falcon.

Hi

Thanks for detailed review - you did sell me the Superb Petrol AT and I am now keen to pick it up

Which Jai Auto showroom offered discount 1.7L - if you can give me showroom name or better Salesperson contact. I am in Delhi. My personal email sanjeev.rai.gupta@gmail.com. With this discount and your feed back of FE at worst 8KM/L in city but expected around 10KM/L - makes a very convicing case for me
Old 15th April 2012, 21:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
Which Jai Auto showroom offered discount 1.7L - if you can give me showroom name or better Salesperson contact. I am in Delhi. My personal email sanjeev.rai.gupta@gmail.com. With this discount and your feed back of FE at worst 8KM/L in city but expected around 10KM/L - makes a very convicing case for me
I am not here to sell any vehicle, just to give as unbiased report as possible from a owner's perspective. I don't know if those heavily discounted stocks are still available or not. You may contact Jai Auto, Bhikaji Cama Place; Mr. Sachin Goel M:09311279591 and inquire for the same. My friend eventually picked up a Fabia from him also at a very good price, as I had picked up the Superb from Haldwani dealer (who gave me a Gurgaon billing btw, some inter dealer manipulation, he says, lolz). My heavy discount was compounded by low registration charges in Uttaranchal (2.5%) which eventually gave me a on-road landed price of 18.4L which included 2+2 year extended warranty and zero depreciating insurance.

Delhi-Meerut run today gave me a average FE of 11.1kmpl with few very brisk stretches where I stretched my new engine (now around 1500km on odo) a bit to 140 kmph.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th April 2012 at 21:05.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:58   #115

Hi

Thanks.

I fully understand that you are not here to lobby for any product and appreciate that your report is totally unbiased which is what appealed to me. Just that your experiences were of much comfort to me.

I had been double minded between choosing a Laura TDI AT / Jetta AT. Laura appeared a bit dated and I also read reports that they may come out with new version next year and brand it Octavia - so this discouraged me - Jetta AT with OTR 22.50 in Delhi - does not appeal in price - Superb TDI AT makes no sense against its pertrol version with price difference of about 4L. Rather save the money and go for Petrol as my running is mainly city about 1500-1800KM a month.

Still the price was a bit of a deterent - but with your experience of FE and expected discount - helps me to firm my mind in its favor.

My only concern comes from some horrific A.S.S. experiences of extremely high repair costs in case the vehicle develops any problem - sure not every one may face so - and one experiece explaining for example if a small bolt needs replacement - Skoda proposes to change the entire sub-assembly - this becomes somewhat understandable as I am told that Superb is not yet assembled in India and imported as CBU -so parts availability is low.

Nevertheless its performance and features make a lot of sense and with expected discounts pulls you in its favor.
Sanjeev Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 21:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

Found some interesting videos on YouTube -

I liked the LED DRL's, if I am correct, on this Superb Combi Advert. Need to upgrade ASAP. I think the recommended bulb is P21W. If anyone can help me procure the LED compatible version which does not give error on maxidot display, I would be most thankful -

A nice Indian Review of the Petrol 1.8 -

Last edited by dkaile : 16th April 2012 at 21:13.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:19   #117
Senior - BHPian

One of the Superb Reviews of the 1.8 Petrol DSG from an Indian Site CarToq. Superbly detailed and HONEST to the dot. I couldn't have detailed its features more honestly as they have done in such a short time -

Old 17th April 2012, 13:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

In my quest to D-I-Y replacement of the Superb's DRL's to LED DRL's, I opened up the Fog lights. There are a total of 2 bulbs installed in each fog light. One is this DRL and the 2nd is the Cornering Fog Light which is in Halogen -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-fog-light-disassembled.jpg

And Gosh!! was I surprised with the ease with which they came out, exactly as detailed in the manual, and out in a jiffy before I could open the driver's door. I wouldn't be surprised, to find both missing one of these days, if this process gets in the hands of some enterprising thief.

The OSRAM 'Made in Germany' 12V P21W Bulb

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-drl-bulb-p21w.jpg

Now this needs to be replaced by a LED Bulb which is CANBUS compatible so that it does not give any error on the MID.

Work-In-Progress....

Last edited by dkaile : 17th April 2012 at 13:49.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:24   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my quest to D-I-Y replacement of the Superb's DRL's to LED DRL's, I opened up the Fog lights. There are a total of 2 bulbs installed in each fog light. One is this DRL and the 2nd is the Cornering Fog Light which is in Halogen -

Now this needs to be replaced by a LED Bulb which is CANBUS compatible so that it does not give any error on the MID.

Work-In-Progress....
Hi Dkaile,

One of the famous manufacturers I have heard for LED lights for cars is Dectane :
https://www.dectane.de/

You can try to source the LED DRLs from them, and I believe that they do ship in India (though they are a bit pricey)!

You can also try Autobulbsdirect.co.uk and you can find the correct bulb on:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/cus...ulb_master.php

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th April 2012 at 14:40.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 12:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the Skoda Superb is manufactured. It's a bit longish (35min.. yawn) video and from the silent era types but a true car lover's delight. I like to know where they have placed the wirings...lol. And yeah, you guessed it right, its (nearly) completely manufactured by Robots. Even the rubber beading on the doors is put by a robot.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th April 2012 at 12:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks