Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 22:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

"At the dawn of history, India started on her unending quest, and trackless centuries are filled with her striving and grandeur of her success and failures. Through good and ill fortune alike, she has never lost sight of that quest, forgotten the ideals which gave her strength. We end today a period of misfortunes and India discovers herself again. The achievement we celebrate today is but a step, an opening of opportunity to the greater triumphs and achievements that await us. Are we brave enough and wise enough to grasp this opportunity and accept the challenge of the future?"

Let me rephrase these historic lines from the 'Tryst with Destiny' speech by Jawahar Lal Nehru and you will realise how true it holds for this company.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-3-superb-skoda-logo.jpg

At the dawn of this decade, SKODA started on her unending quest in India, and trackless years are filled with her striving and grandeur of her success and failures. Through good and ill fortune alike, she has never lost sight of that quest, forgotten the ideals which gave her strength. It ends today a period of misfortunes and SKODA discovers herself again. The achievement it celebrate today is but a step, an opening of opportunity to the greater triumphs and achievements that await it. Is SKODA brave enough and wise enough to grasp this opportunity and accept the challenge of the future?

Skoda is truly discovering herself again with the launch of many India centric models like the Rapid and the Fabia. Her dealership network is increasing. Is it up to the mark in service? That is an issue which is still work-in-progress for the decade old company in India. Obsessed with Quality since 1897 it may be, but it's true results are just beginning to show in India.

Alternatives & Why This?

Now I had been searching for a D Segment Sedan ever since the purchase of my Millennium Falcon - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uilt-last.html . Many cars were tested, driven, analysed. Details are here (to avoid the risk of repeating myself too often) - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post2724920 . But a true Indian always looks for true Value, and I too was looking for the same.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-4-superb-boot1-logo.jpg

Some questions came to my mind even after selecting the Superb -

1. Is a Diesel Sedan worth the 5 Lac premium over the Petrol? Now with my driving to be around 10K kms a year, it would take me approx. 2lac kms to recover the additional cost which translated into 20 years!!

2. Do I require a Automatic? I don't live in a bumper to bumper city. And for my mostly highway runs, I thought mostly the manual will do the job. But most importantly, as the saying goes - 'I just love manual transmissions!!'. Also, importantly there were NO failure reports from the Skoda Manuals (lolz).

3. What about the Skoda Service HORROR STORIES? Skoda was gradually growing up and getting it's act together in India. It was launching many India specific models like the Rapid. My friend's Skoda dealership in Meerut was world class, modern and quite updated. He assured me the best of services. Do I bite the bullet? Yes, but not before taking their 2+2 year extended warranty which extends to a lac kms and also zero percent depreciating insurance as my backup plans.

4. Is it worth the price of a Toyota? (Me, being a Toyota fan and all). Maybe. But when I bargained hard for the 9th December manufactured VIN (before telling them that it actually is a 2012 model year from Skoda. Thanks Wildon - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2723089 ). Even they were not aware that it would eventually be registered as a 2012 Make car. So the final price was fixed at 18.4L on road Uttaranchal with Zero % Depreciating Insurance and 2+2 year/1 lac km extended warranty. Now this made it tremendous value as I was quoted nearly 16 Lacs for a Corolla Petrol (pre-budget) and at just about 2 lacs extra, a SUPERB!!!

Booking & Delivery Experience
I took quotes from Dealers at Delhi, Meerut and Haldwani. The best deal was initially offered by Jai Auto, Delhi at approx. 17.75L without Registration Charges. he was ready to give me the vehicle and get it registered myself at Haldwani. As I had got my own contacts at RTO Haldwani, that was not a big deal and the landed on road cost would have to come to approx. 18.20L. However, I did not want to give into the registration hassle and eventually negotiated with the Haldwani dealer Channel Motors as a final on-road price of 18.40L as there was 1% extra VAT to be borne by the Haldwani dealer, so I did not want him to be in any loss. Plus all hassles were now his.

My initial choice of colour was 'Mocha Brown' which I just found to be divine. However it was not available at any of the 9 dealers I inquired in the MT level and would need to be placed in order at post budget prices, so that colour was ruled out. So finally we all settled for our 2nd choice that was 'Rosso Brunello' which in hindsight turned to be a good choice. The car was booked on the phone on 22nd March and 2L advance was RTGSed to him. Delivery date committed by him was 25th as a Rosso was on the way from the factory and would be unloaded on 24th night. VIN details were exchanged and details got from our dear TBhp.

The Delivery process was smooth on our driving down. Started early at 6am from Meerut and reached their showroom at exact 11am. The Superb enchanted immediately with its wine red colour. Delivery formalities were completed and we were out of the showroom in one hour. Drove back to Meerut after lunch without incidence.

So here it is in my driveway -
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-1-superb-front.jpg

A true Limousine
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-2-superb-side-profile.jpg

Acres of Space
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-5-superb-space.jpg

Understated styled Tail Lights
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-6-superb-tail-light.jpg

Bi-Xenon Head Lights with Adaptive Frontlight System (AFS)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-7-superb-head-lights.jpg

How can you miss the SUPERB embossing
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-8-superb-head-lights1.jpg

Even the Key and Manual Cover have style
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-9-superb-key-manual.jpg

The Antenna!! Simply Clever?
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-10-superb-antenna.jpg

Initial Observations after 300kms -
Now, I drove it back from Haldwani, Uttaranchal after taking delivery (approx. 250kms) and today it stands at 300kms.

-Stalled the car twice. Once immediately outside the showroom and once while caught up in heavy traffic.
- Now this route has one of the worst patches I have ever seen but the Superb handled them all with aplomb and never bottoming even once even with the 158mm road clearance on many of the biggest bumpers I have encountered.
- Rear Visibility is poor. The thick A-pillar also hampers visibility to some extent sometimes.
- There is a slight initial lag before 1500rpm after which the turbo kicks in and it becomes a rocket. The lag was not as much as in the Audi A4 with the DSG which I had test driven. I presume its common with all Audi/VW/Skoda group turbo charged engines.
- The car pampers you like no other
- Electronics electronics everywhere. Will need to upgrade my mindset from the humble Toyota's I have been driving all my life. But its a geeks dream come true.
- Tyre noise is discernable on rough patches. Keeping my fingers crossed with the stock Goodyears NCT5 Eagles 205/55 R16 91V. Took feedback from 2 owners who have driven over 20k kms on them and their tyres are going strong without issues. So, did not upgrade to the Bridgestones that I was planning. Tyre cost was quoted at 6300/- each by the dealer.
- All stock accessories were attached to the car except the Front Mud Flaps. Even the carpet floor mats with foot rests (now in BLACK colour instead of beige) came with the car and they were of very high quality. Got the front mud flaps attached today at my Meerut dealer C&T Motors for a whooping cost of 1400 bucks for a pair!! What a rip off for a 200 buck equipment. Sure, it was of high quality but Skoda seriously needs to rationalise their parts/accessories pricing. Was also quoted 1500 bucks for changing a wiper. But I need to give it to them as the wiper blades are indeed imported and of special quality coming in whole rubber (without conventional metal frames). Other costs quoted for accessories included 3000 for rubber boot mat!!, 1800 for PP textile boot mat, 3000 for Rubber Floor Mats. Also now NO netting now comes in the boot and all is at an extra cost of around 3 to 5k!!
- The cars handling is just SUPERlative. It handles curves like a cheetah even after being of such big proportions.
- The AC chills even at the back and is DUAL ZONE fully Auto types (called Climatronic in their lingo). Air vents are even situated under the front seats for rear passenger!!
- The seats have 12 way!! fully powered adjustments with 3 memories. Each remote can be set for a different user and the seats adjust automatically on opening by that particular remote.
- The stereo sounds great but I found the bass on my Fortuner Stereo to be slightly superior with the ipod playing. My 8GB sd card was detected in a jiffy without any hassles or lag. All song info is displayed on the screen.
- All electronics systems right from which door opens by remote to mood lighting (intensity and duration) to auto lock/unlock etc. etc. etc. etc. (lolz) is customisable. Gosh!!
- A gear shift indicator is displayed on the MFD telling you when to downshift or upshift. Teaches you driving skills, eh... The 6 speed manual transmission is a dream. Absolutely smooth.
- The Turning radius of this car is a revelation. Great!!
- There is a umbrella on the right hand side back door.
- The rear mirror and side mirrors get manual sun blinds. For its 18L price, the car is seriously loaded. My 21L Fortuner looks spartan in comparison.
- FE achieved till now is 11.1 kmpl on the MFD. This included slow moving traffic and huge jams too and some very rough patches.

More to follow...

Last edited by dkaile : 26th March 2012 at 22:31.
dkaile is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Congrats on your new Superb----it is one heck of a car that has rightly kicked Honda Accord on its behind.

The Tsi engine is a gem that begs to be driven hard. My neighbour has a white Superb that is parked next to my car, and I feel pangs of envy everyday when I drive to work.

Another guy in our complex has a Laura tsi and says he gets 14 kmpl in Hyd city, which I've taken with a pinch of salt.

Have fun with the car and please keep updating this thread. Also please report FE using brim to brim method, and not by MFD.

By the way, what is the turning radius of the car?

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th March 2012 at 22:31.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:33   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your car. Truly a great value for money. Love the colour you have chosen. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:36   #4
BHPian

Its an awesome ride you have got there, congratz.

More interior pics would be most welcome.

Any accesories or mods planned?

Drive safe
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:50   #5
BHPian

Superb choice, nice colour, congrats on your new car. I really like the angle of the Superb in the pic 'A true limo'. Despite being around the same length as the Accord, Teana and Camry, it just looks miles longer! Recently sat in a Superb and was left wondering whether I would drive this or sit in the rear if I owned one!
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:55   #6
BHPian

Congrats dkaile,the petrol and manual makes isense for your daily run.
The build and the german thud will bring smile on your face,at the same time be sure that you always be present when she goes for service.
My take is that it is a "superb" car,the dealers are real culprits.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition, the nice write up and great photos. Trust you like the car as much as I have. I presume you have a closer dealer for service - 300 kms is a bit much.

The only decision you have made that I have questions about is the choice of the manual - the DSG is truly amazing to drive ( would have made you give up your beloved Fortuner, I suspect) and with the 4 year Shield, not too much of a risk to own either. Best of luck, and keep posting.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek

The only decision you have made that I have questions about is the choice of the manual - the DSG is truly amazing to drive ( would have made you give up your beloved Fortuner, I suspect) and with the 4 year Shield, not too much of a risk to own either. Best of luck, and keep posting.
Totally agree with this. I had my reservations about the DSG initially but I recently "discovered" the fun and insanely quick shifts using the paddle shifters and I seriously don't wanna drive a manual again (coming from a (former) hardcore MT fan).
Upside of the manual is that you can go for a remap without worrying about the torque limit on the DSG. (I'd suggest shark performance).

Also if you think the car handles well on those stock marshmallows, you should try switching to 18" with a lower profile,

Anywhoo, many congratulations, enjoy and drive safe!
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Also please report FE using brim to brim method, and not by MFD.

By the way, what is the turning radius of the car?
The turning radius of the car is 5.4m
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post
More interior pics would be most welcome.

Any accesories or mods planned?
Pictures are on the way. No accessories or mods as on date planned. The car is FULLY LOADED.

Some more thoughts -
- The remote opens the boot too.
- The Boot Closing has got some serious hardware as it soft closes by vaccum/suction aka some very big (read costly) cars. You just need to softly let go of the boot lid at the last level and it gets sucked in.
- The boot is cavernous (photos soon)
- The remote can close in addition to the doors, all windows, the sun roof and even the outside door mirrors!!
- The Music System is a 6.5" touchscreen, with 6 CD in dash changer, SD card, Aux In and 8!! speakers
- Music and Calls Stream through Bluetooth via my Samsung Galaxy S2 (CDMA). The call quality is superlative. Music is absolutely clear through A2DP bluetooth profile.
- The car has 8 airbags (The Passat has 6)

The Grill
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-11-superb-grill.jpg

The Steering with full functionality of music, settings of system and MFD and Phone calls
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-12-superb-steering1.jpg

The gearshift is 6 speed manual. Reverse is engaged by pushing down and then all the way left and up. Notice buttons on side for Parktronic sensors and some which I havn't deciphered yet (lolz)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-13-superb-gearshift.jpg

The Instrument Cluster. Clear with chrome rings exudes class. Intensity is adjustable.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-14-superb-instrument-cluster.jpg

The Glove box is soft opening, padded, cooled and lighted. Gosh!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-15-superb-glove-box.jpg

The Rear Seats leg space is better than a S Class. Not joking. Fit for a Maharajah!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-16-superb-seats-rear.jpg

The Front seats are well bolstered and the Nappa leather pampers. Both are 12 way electronically adjustable with the Driver Seat getting 3 memories as I mentioned earlier.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-17-superb-seats-front.jpg

The Rear View Mirror is electronically dimming with a switch below it and a on/off indicator light. The rear visibility is low.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-18-superb-rear-view-mirror.jpg

The 'Bolero Music System'. A serious piece of hardware with a very well built finish. Much better than the New (and old) Fortuner.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-19-superb-music-system-bolero.jpg

The best gadget my brother liked sitting next to me. DUAL ZONE CLIMATRONIC FULLY AUTOMATIC AC. All settings displays seamlessly on the Stereo Touchscreen.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-20-superb-dual-zone-climatronic-ac.jpg

More to follow....

Last edited by dkaile : 26th March 2012 at 23:43.
dkaile is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Dkaile on the Superb. Its sure must be nice having so many gadgets around, compared to the spartan Fortuner. Now this is VFM eh? My vRS cost more in Mumbai than your Superb

If you keep the boot button pressed then the boot pops up fully on its own.

And those buttons near the gear shift, one is for setting the tyre pressure loss warning, and the second to put off ESP. The third is for the parking sensors.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 00:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

18.4L Now thats VFM. Its an E-Class at 18.4L. Complete Drool Maal buddy. Enjoy the car and can we have some more pics.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 04:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations again, this is a very thought after and negotiated buy. As i said the dealer being known will go a long way in keeping the ownership hassle free and painless. Excellent choice of color i must add.

Toyota should read this log, a lifelong Toyota fan went ahead and dropped a Corolla and bought a Superb. Somehow Toyota have forgotten VFM lingo. A Superb at almost Corolla price (2L difference), is a killer deal.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 04:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!! The Superb is true to its name. And at that price it does defy all logic. I paid 15.5L for my Altis damn! Just adding 6 extra airbags would probably make the price come to 18L, leave alone all that extra equipment and space.
Do you mind sharing a break up of the price? 18.4L looks just too mouth-watering.

And knowing the Skoda Dealer is just like icing on the cake. It would be rather amusing to see you compare the service costs of the Falcon with this in the future .
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 06:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed looks like a wise choice. Skoda needs to boot out the culprit dealers and they have a market ready to take their VFM prepositions.

One point: Why need for a wiper?? Only 300kms in to ownership?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 07:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dkaile on a Superb acquisition. Was following your posts on your predicament and you finally took the plunge.

One question - Was having a dealer who was known to you, which in turn provided assurance of best service one of the influencing factor in going with the Superb. If not for this would you have still gone ahead with the decision?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed