Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 07:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Excellent choice Dkaile… that too for a great price! And the MT safeguards you from the woes of the 7-speed DSG.
That should be an interesting garage – a Skoda along with Toyota. I am impressed

One question – does the car have mobile connectivity via Bluetooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Skoda is truly discovering herself again with the launch of many India centric models like the Rapid and the Fabia. Her dealership network is increasing. Is it up to the mark in service? That is an issue which is still work-in-progress for the decade old company in India. Obsessed with Quality since 1897 it may be, but it's true results are just beginning to show in India.
Very true. I feel the ASC related trouble stories are on the decline. And now the way VW is pricing their cars, the Skoda brand looks quite VFM.
Just one correction though. Only Rapid is India specific. The Fabia is an international model.

Happy driving
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 09:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations dkaile on one of the most VFM sedans in the luxury segment. Less than 20lakhs for a fully loaded E class competitor.

One interesting thing I noticed is that your floor carpeting is black in colour. All of the Superb's I've sat in have beige floor carpeting and not black. Wondering if the black carpeting is only for the manual variant. The black looks way better than the sea of beige I've seen.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats DKaile!
Great choice of colour and I have also felt that the Superb represents good value for money! Very good pics in the review and the Superb in this colour really looks very elegant.

Only one recommendation: Change the Goodyear Tyres to Michelin Primacy LC! You will find a huge difference in the ride quality and the tyre noise. The swap value which you can get for the new Goodyear tyres is decent and in my case, it cost only 6.9k to change all four tyres to Michelin Primacy LC. However, you must do it asap, as if you use the Goodyears more than 200Km, the exchange value goes down!
It is definitely worth it and will change the ride quality drastically!

(One more USP of the Superb if you have not already discovered: The boot can be opened in two different modes: One as a notchback where the rear windshield also lifts with the bootlid (to accomodate large stuff) and two as a sedan with only the bootlid opening!)

(Incidentally, we have also bought a Laura in the same colour and almost at a similar time - we got ours on Feb 27th! My ownership thread is
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...te-mt-tdi.html)

Wish you many year of thrilling and comfortable driving with your royal beast!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th March 2012 at 10:20.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do you mind sharing a break up of the price? 18.4L looks just too mouth-watering.

And knowing the Skoda Dealer is just like icing on the cake.
The exact breakup was around 18.65 ex showroom + 64K for Skoda shield which included Comprehensive Insurance + 2+2 year extended warranty + 24 hour Road side assistance = 19.3L (with 0% depreciating insurance added for free) less 1.6L discount = 17.7L Add Uttaranchal registration and logistics 50k = 18.2L. There was a 1% VAT differential in Uttaranchal so added 20K for that = 18.4L on road with everything. at last instance when I cancelled my order with Jai Auto, Delhi, he upped the final discount to 1.70L. They were all giving this for the 2011 build. Luckily for me the the car that arrived at Haldwani was a 2012 build though it did not have the KESS (Keyless Entry and Start/Stop Button & system) upgrade. But an additional 2.5L (the current price after excise with discounts factored in) over this was just not justifiable just for the KESS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
One point: Why need for a wiper?? Only 300kms in to ownership?
Wiper price was just inquired for knowledge and to assess future cost of ownership. Wiper change will be needed once in 18~24 months according to the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One question - Was having a dealer who was known to you, which in turn provided assurance of best service one of the influencing factor in going with the Superb. If not for this would you have still gone ahead with the decision?
Maybe. Not without a local city dealership for sure which is just 9 kms from my residence and 500 meters from my factory. Having a known person at the helm of the dealership was the decider. But after seeing Skoda quality and value, I think I should have tested this brand earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
One question – does the car have mobile connectivity via Bluetooth?
Full bluetooth connectivity now exists including A2DP profile and simultaneous HFP (Hands Free profile) so music and calls can stream concurrently with your bluetooth enabled phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
One interesting thing I noticed is that your floor carpeting is black in colour. All of the Superb's I've sat in have beige floor carpeting and not black. Wondering if the black carpeting is only for the manual variant. The black looks way better than the sea of beige I've seen.
Yes, Black looks way better. Quality is exactly same (i.e. high) as the beige carpetting. As per dealer knowledge they have shifted to black carpetting across the Superb range in the 2012 model range which suits Indian conditions better (carpet and mat photos attached below)

Some more photos -

The Nappa Leather quality is supreme. The leather is softer than that on my Fortuner though the one on the Fortuner looks like it could survive a nuclear holocaust.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-21-superb-leather1.jpg

The centre armrest is also in leather. It is also slidable forward and backward for the perfect angle according to different drivers.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-22-superb-centre-armrest.jpg

The centre console opened. It houses the Aux In port for your ipod/other devices. It is soft felt lined (missing in my Fortuner). But it is a tad smaller than the one on the Falcon.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-23-superb-centre-console.jpg

The exquisite quality Black carpet matting and foot mats. Notice the separate Foot rest in black velvet. Luxurious for those traveling barefoot. Lolz.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-24-superb-foot-mats-black.jpg

The black velvet footrest in detail
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-25-superb-foot-rest.jpg

The Hand brake in beige leather and chrome tip. Notice the lower centre console top which seems to be made from very high quality beige rubber!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-26-superb-handbrake-cluster.jpg

And its sliding to reveal the 2 cup holders
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-27-superb-handbrake-cluster1.jpg

The lower front console (ahead of the gear lever is also sliding.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-28-superb-front-console.jpg

Houses the 12V power socket. Notice that there are NO Cigarette Lighter in the car as default choice (only 3 x 12V power sockets) and its a totally NO SMOKING build. Perfect to my liking. (Sorry GTO).
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-29-superb-front-console1.jpg

The quirky separate Head Light Switch. Got used to it in no time. Also controls the front and (also) rear fog lights. The Front fog lights are also adaptive and turn while taking corners. The Front Fog Lights also house the DRLs which are in Halogen or HID (not sure) and look cool but NO LEDs like the Audi. Also notice the AUTO setting whereby the Ambient Light Detector kicks in and controls the lights automatically. Also see the controls for adjusting the Instrument Cluster Light intensity. All enclosed in high quality greyish chrome luxury.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-30-superb-headlights-switch.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited by dkaile : 27th March 2012 at 10:35.
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:17   #20
BHPian

Congratulations are in order...

Man the way you write and those photographs, happiness all the way.

Hope this car continues to make you smile as the years go on.

Drive safe
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on getting... well, a Superb car! 18.40L is a stunning price for a brand new Superb. We Bangaloreans can only turn green with envy.

The 1.8 TSI is a real gem. After having driven the Corolla for a long time I was simply awestruck by the refinement of the TSI motor. You will not hear a sound of protest from the motor even if you push it to its redline. Plus it is surprisingly fuel effecient.

Like your other reviews, expecting a lot of pictures and attention to detail.

Fair call going for the MT. THe seven speed DSG is problematic. Don't know whether the bugs have been fixed in recent months. Enjoy the car and drive safe. Skoda must be doing somethng right when a hard core Toyota loyalist spends 18+ big ones on their product

PS : I would second Behemoth about changing over to Primacy LC. I have done so on my Laura TSI and am very happy with the result. THe OE Goodyears are real bad. With the engine so silent, those GYs make a real din. Primacy LCs are very silent and plush.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th March 2012 at 10:49. Reason: Added PS
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Congrats DKaile!
Only one recommendation: Change the Goodyear Tyres to Michelin Primacy LC!

(One more USP of the Superb if you have not already discovered: The boot can be opened in two different modes: One as a notchback where the rear windshield also lifts with the bootlid (to accommodate large stuff) and two as a sedan with only the bootlid opening!)

(Incidentally, we have also bought a Laura in the same colour and almost at a similar time
Will seriously consider your tyre upgrade advice. However one more member, Sahil, if I remember correctly, upgraded his Superb to these Michelins and had trouble with them. They are too soft for our road conditions and that upgrade too got a bubble. Just for your information.

I have already discovered the "Great Superb Boot Trick" (lolz) and that was one of the first selling points a Skoda Car Sales Person is taught.

Congrats on your superb Laura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I presume you have a closer dealer for service - 300 kms is a bit much.

The only decision you have made that I have questions about is the choice of the manual - the DSG is truly amazing to drive
The (service) dealer as I mentioned is local and very close to our residence/factory. Only the buying dealer was 300kms away (in order to save some moolah)

I am sure that the DSG is divine. But I have already elaborated my reasons for choosing a Manual.

Some more photos -

The Driver Pedal controls. Notice the big dead pedal.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-31-superb-pedals.jpg

The driver seats with 12 way power adjustments and 3 memories. Not ventilated or heated as of now though.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-32-superb-power-seats-memory.jpg

The Power Window and external side mirror controls.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-33-superb-power-windows.jpg

The rear seat centre console. Houses a high quality display which gives outside temperature and time. Also house a 12V power socket and a storage bin (not a ash tray but can be used as one)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-34-superb-rear-display.jpg

The rear seat arm rest. Houses spring loaded click-out cup holders and a centre storage. This also opens to access the boot.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-36-superb-seats-rear-armrest1.jpg

The rear parcel tray and sun guard (now folded down). Also notice low visibility on rear windshield.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-37-superb-rear-parcel-tray-sun-guard.jpg

The rear sun guard opened and accessed after opening the boot.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-38-superb-rear-sunguard.jpg

The 'ulta' left side located Indicator Stalks. Just like my very old Matiz that I once owned. Quality is good. Also controls the high/low beam and headlight pass switch. Also houses the (impractical for India) Cruise Control which I havn't tried yet (or maybe ever). Also has controls for MID settings.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-39-superb-stalk-indicator.jpg

The wiper and intermittent stalk of the right hand side. Also controls the headlight washer system!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-40-superb-stalk-wiper.jpg

The ticket holder on the windshield on the driver side. Neat!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-61-superb-windshield1-ticketholder.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited by dkaile : 27th March 2012 at 11:31.
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations on the "Superb" purchase, DKaile.
This one surely does epitomise oplulence, in the best way possible. Acres of space and raw power combined, make an aweosme deal.

Few changes that I see over the previous model -

1. The antenna is even shorter. No longer is it the 'shark fin' antenna.
2. The carpets are black! Much better than those atrociously difficult to maintain beige carpets.

A few questions:

-Is the system Bluetooth integrated? Mine has the bluetooth provision, but the software required, aint present.
-Did you TD the DSG AT, before going in for the MT? What was the price difference?

18.XX OTR is an amazing price for such a car man! Enjoy the ride to the fullest.
Welcome to the Superb club .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
[i] 'Rosso Brunello'
Congrats dkaile on the purchase. In My Humble Opinion, this colour is INVENTED only for Superb. The car looks absolute drooler in this colour. At one time I had seriously contemplated on buying this beast, but..

Wish you many happy kms and safe driving. Rated 5 stars.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DKaile. Please post some rear seat leg space to make us drool. This was the car that made me buy a Jetta over a SUV that me and my wife went to look out for. Started with Scorpio but one drive on this SUperb made us to stick to a sedan and for the price and options we went with Diesel Jetta. I am absolutely sure we would have taken the same color superb if we were looking for petrol options.

The car is brilliant and i am sure you will enjoy each day of the drive...
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
A few questions:

-Is the system Bluetooth integrated? Mine has the bluetooth provision, but the software required, aint present.
-Did you TD the DSG AT, before going in for the MT? What was the price difference?
Thanks Swanand. Your SUPERB photo shoot was quite inspiring.

As I mentioned earlier -
- Bluetooth is fully integrated now. Working and tested.
- I tested the Audi A4 2.0TDI which I presume has the same DSG. I found it good but my reasons for a manual, i have already detailed before hand and the 5.0 L price differential from the Diesel Superb with exact same trim just didn't make sense for me.

More Photos -

The Outside Door Mirrors. They are heated! (God know why?) and also Auto Dimming!! They are electrically foldable and adjustable from inside. They also house side indicators.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-41-superb-door-mirror.jpg

They also have a coming home puddle light which switch on automatically in the dark when the car is opened or closed. Gosh!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-42-superb-door-mirror1light.jpg

The front stainless steel SUPERB embossed door sil. Not illuminated. But gets the red light reflection from the red hazard lights on the door interiors!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-43-superb-doorsil-front.jpg

The rear steel door sil to protect the paint. Notice the red reflection from the lights, the door storage and the power window button. Also peaking through is one of the 2 speakers on the rear door!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-44-superb-doorsil-rear.jpg

The classy chrome tipped dual exhaust. Makes the car look sporty as it exactly is. Notice rear park sensors.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-45-superb-chrome-exhausts.jpg

The chrome headlight washer nozzle. Notice the Falcon looking enviously in the reflection.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-46-superb-head-lights1washer.jpg

Now the 'piece de resistance'. The Superb BOOT. Now opened in the full format as a notchback with the windshield also going up. It has a SOFT CLOSING suction type electronics control.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-47-superb-boot.jpg

My son couldn't resist this photo in the boot. Give him a pillow and a quilt and the bed is ready (just joking)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-48-superb-boot1-my-son.jpg

Lots of hooks available for attaching the nets. BUT sadly the nets have been eliminated now in the Superb and now come as a paid accessory.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-49-superb-boot1-hooks.jpg

Also nice cubby holes in the boot to store any 'private' stuff. Notice the stainless steel boot protective sil also (covered in blue plastic for now)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-50-superb-boot1-left.jpg

More to follow...
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:02   #27
BANNED

Congrats on your purchase dkaile . Its Fully Loaded and i really shocked after hearing the On road price what you have got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Does it have... dare I ask.
Uhh.. does it have the umbrella in the rear door.
He hesitates. He's questioning my sanity.
Boss, it has everything. Like everything.
The umbrella, it's there na?
Yes.
Have you checked this on your Car too ?!

Last edited by wildon : 27th March 2012 at 12:07.
wildon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:04   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your 'Superb' choice..
This could be the first thread that I went through 'Break'lessly.. Neat write up & nice pics just to add 'LIFE' to the 'WORDS'.. I sense, now 'Superb' might have become a Dream Machine for many of the followers of this thread..
Wish you many miles of happy driving ahead..
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Aah black velvet and all!

My Bison has to deal with rubber mats, muddy boots or dusty sandals most of the time :-)

So,
* weekdays: Suit + Superb
* weekends: jeans, boots, Himalayas and the Falcon?
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Have you checked this on your Car too ?!
How can one miss the famous 'Superb Umbrella' (now patented... lolz). Yes, it does exist in the left rear door. Yet to take it's photo yet as it has been highlighted quite often by other Superb owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
So,
* weekdays: Suit + Superb
* weekends: jeans, boots, Himalayas and the Falcon?
Yes, best of both worlds. Though I dream to have that much spare time to go the Himalayas 'every' weekend.

Some more shots -

Some more boot storage. This time on the right side containing the first aid kit.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-51-superb-boot1-right.jpg

One of the 2 boot lights and the 12V power socket in the boot.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-52-superb-boot1-power-socket-light.jpg

The boot opening from the rear seats.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-53-superb-boot1-opening.jpg

The full sized spare wheel albeit with a steel rim gives peace of mind unlike the Beemers. Also the toolkit and the spare headlights (seem to be plain halogens for emergency instead of Xenons. Now we can't rip Skoda off that much, can we? lolz.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-54-superb-boot1-spare-wheel.jpg

The bad boy of the block - Goodyear Eagle NCT5 205/55 R16 91V
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-55-superb-tyre.jpg

Made in India! at least something is Indian in this car. Most signs I am seeing read Made in the Czech Republic or Germany.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-56-superb-tyre1.jpg

A closer look at the alloy nuts and logo. Reeks of quality with the brushed grey finish
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-57-superb-tyre2.jpg

Now boy o boy, how can the New Sonata miss this?? Both my kids had their heads out of this while entering the house for the 1st time. Who say's that a Sun/moon roof is impractical for India. Its fully electric here with tilt function and bounce back system. It can also be closed with the long press of the Remote lock button!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-58-superb-sunroof.jpg

The 'hidden' Door Handle lock on the drivers door for emergency unlocking.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-59-superb-door-handle-lock.jpg

The Wipers. The blade is all rubber unlike the conventional metal framed blades that I am used to on the Toyotas. However the driver side one doesn't fully raise up hampering easy cleaning of the windshield. This too has automatic controls and rain sensing!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-60-superb-wipers.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited by dkaile : 27th March 2012 at 12:54.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed