Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 12:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Lovely car dkaile.
The icing on the cake is gotta be the price you paid for it.

Regarding the driver side wiper blade, I'm guessing you'll need to get the car in "Service Mode" ie. turn on the ignition & turn it off immediately, then move the wiper stock down. At this point both the blades move to their extreme position.

Last edited by speed kills : 27th March 2012 at 12:52.
speed kills is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:05   #32
BHPian

Wow!! The car looks stunning! Now get yourself a VCDS cable and turn this machine into a robot living by its masters commands !! Mild exaggeration, yes!!
Enjoy your ride mate!
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, dkaile. Thanks for a 'convincing' write up on why petrol instead of diesel and why manual instead of auto and last but not the least why Skoda instead of Toyota. This write up has the strength to sway many a cat sitting on the wall, towards the Superb. Congrats on that count, too. Enjoyed reading as much as you must have enjoyed writing this.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th March 2012 at 13:29.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Some final shots for the time being -

The Saint Gobain Windshield with Security glass
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-62-superb-windshield.jpg

Now comes the heart of the matter i.e. the Engine. The Hood has a hydraulic assist opening. Miss this on my (costlier) Fortuner. The build quality is exceptional.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-63-superb-engine-hood.jpg

The engine.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-64-superb-engine.jpg

The brilliant 1.8 TFSI Turbocharged petrol engine, in-line, liquid cooling system, direct injection, 16V DOHC, transverse in front generating 160 bhp and 250 Nm of torque. Gosh!! Need to keep a look out for oil consumption which is common with all European turbo charged engines.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-65-superb-engine1-tsi.jpg

The Varta Battery. Made in the Czech Republic, I guess. The battery is protected by a flimsy plastic cover.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-66-superb-engine1-battery.jpg

Made in Czech Parts abound. The Hella Headlight for instance.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-67-superb-engine1-light-make.jpg

The Front Mud Guards. Now these were installed yesterday at the local Meerut dealer M/s C&T motors. Got ripped off by shelling 1400 bucks for a pair of these.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-68-superb-front-mudguard.jpg

The quality is very high and they are fastened by 2 steel nuts each which needs a L-Key for doing the job.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-69-superb-front-mudguard1.jpg

Now for some trivia shots -

The Boot Logos and the chrome strip below.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-70-superb-boot1-logo1.jpg

The Central Locking buttons. Its electronic and is highlighted by led light inside to display whether the doors are locked or unlocked. Notice the high quality Chrome door opening handle and the recessed Tweeter behind it.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-71-superb-central-locking.jpg

The Outside Door Mirror controls in detail. Notice the Heating control on the upper left corner. The control is a joy stick type to adjust the outside mirrors.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-72-superb-door-mirror2-controls.jpg

A closer look at the gear shift
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-73-superb-gearshift1.jpg

The Front Fog Lights. Houses 3 bulbs in total. Left most is the DRL's (which can be switched on/off in the settings. ON by default). The Fog light also turns with the steering (static bending types)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-74-superb-head-lights1foglight.jpg

The Mood Lighting on the Front Seats. This car has more lights and LED's inside to light up a small village. Their intensity and frequency is fully user-programmable.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-75-superb-seats-front2.jpg

The Mood Lighting at the rear below the front seats and also at the Top of the rear seats.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-76-superb-seats-rear1.jpg

The Left Steering Wheel buttons for volume (scrolling type), track up and down, Voice Command Activation (the centre one) and God knows what else. Reminds me of a James Bond Car when the Lady starts to speak from the speakers asking for 'Your Wish is my Command' type lines. Lolz. Eat that Ford, the Skoda has Voice Commands too!! (just joking, again). It can read messages, Call a Number etc. etc. etc. etc. uff...
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-77-superb-steering-control-left.jpg

The Right Steering Wheel buttons. Their intelligence level is similar to the left ones and (still) fully beyond my comprehension. There is a button to take and end Phone Calls and rest to setup the MFD and other Settings and many other things that are still to be discovered.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-78-superb-steering-controls-right.jpg

The 2 Key Hobs
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-79-superb-key-manual1.jpg

The Rear Seat Armrest in a usable position. Leather wrapped (no surprises any longer)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-80-superb-seats-rear-armrest.jpg

Good bye for now from the brushed aluminum Skoda logo on the Steering Wheel
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-81-superb-steering-logo.jpg

PS - The car is a different creature at night which I discovered yesterday and looks much more handsome with lights. Those photos will be clicked and uploaded shortly.

Last edited by dkaile : 27th March 2012 at 13:37.
dkaile is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The Wipers. However the driver side one doesn't fully raise up hampering easy cleaning of the windshield. This too has automatic controls and rain sensing!!
IIRC, the right side wiper would raise up fully only when the hood is open.
This apparently, is a safety feature, to protect the wipers from being stolen.

In my Laura, both the wipers cant be raised up, unless the hood is opened.

EDIT:

About the MID/MFD: try fiddling them while driving! Such an amazing thought after feature. It just returns a message saying "Can operate these features only when at a standstill" or something like that!
Basically saying, "Better concentrate on the drive. The fiddling can be done when stopped" .

For some reason though, my right palm constantly scrolls the scroll button while driving. The MID's keep on changing every now and then.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 27th March 2012 at 13:44. Reason: Added text
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:56   #36
BHPian

congrats on the awesome machine!!!

I got 2011 jan AT model, everything is same accept the black foot interiors.

Two of my close friends just bought the superb with a discount of 1.70L last week.
ARSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 14:03   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lovely write up! Enjoy the new car. I really like that Maroon - looks very regal indeed.

The sheer luxury,pampering,fit,finish and finesse that one gets in these Euro vehicles is far far higher than in the rest of the marques available here in India. Very tough to go back to Japanese, Korean or Indian, once one has enjoyed Euro Luxe. It is so easy to get used to the good things in life isn't it?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 14:11   #38
BHPian

Congratulations.You do have some good taste. Gem of a car and excellent VFM. As they say prevention is better than cure, it was quite intelligent to avoid the famed "DSG". Have fun with this steed for long time. Look forward for your detailed ownership experiences.

Quote:

The Outside Door Mirrors. They are heated! (God know why?) and also Auto Dimming!! They are electrically foldable and adjustable from inside. They also house side indicators.
That's a nifty feature. I have faced the problem, where the outside door mirrors get fogged during heavy rains.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 14:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wow! is the only word that comes to the mind after seeing all the pics at one go. And wow! is the only word that comes to the mind after seeing that you essentially got 40L luxury at only half the price !!

Congrats on your new acquisition!! From a Toyota to a Skoda! Now thats a story in the making!

Nice choice of colour too. I am used to seeing all white and silver Superbs on the road. Everytime I am tempted to buy a Skoda when I see the pics, but ...
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 14:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However the driver side one doesn't fully raise up hampering easy cleaning of the windshield. This too has automatic controls and rain sensing!!
Attachment 907774

More to follow...
Hi Dkaile, Congrats for the limousine.

There is a procedure mentioned in manual to raise the wipers, in default position they cannot be raised. The wipers are designed to be inside the bonnet for better aerodynamics and lower wind noise. Every time you switch off the car, the wipers will change their position to preserve the blades.

Will reply to other points later. Thanks for Superb coverage.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Outside Door Mirrors. They are heated! (God know why?) and also Auto Dimming!! They are electrically foldable and adjustable from inside. They also house side indicators.
I think the external mirrors are heated and gets activated when the temperature is below a certain degree. (16 may be).

Quote:
Regarding the driver side wiper blade, I'm guessing you'll need to get the car in "Service Mode" ie. turn on the ignition & turn it off immediately, then move the wiper stock down. At this point both the blades move to their extreme position.
I second that.Thats the way Jetta works as well and laura as well.

Quote:
Its fully electric here with tilt function and bounce back system. It can also be closed with the long press of the Remote lock button
And i feel this can also be linked with Rain sensor to close it when it rains automatically. But achieved using vag com or some software. Do check if this can be enabled via software changes.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile: Very comprehensive feature description and good photography. I am sure you would be going ga-ga about the features with your family and by now they would be knowing everything about the car.
The heated ORVM's are a boon on rainy days. You will thank Skoda during the monsoons.
The boot size seems to be as big as a complete Tata Nano car!

Hope to see this thread going into the Long term ownership section just like the Corolla thread.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

That is a nice new ride you got there. The Skoda Superb is a high quality car and I doubt if you can get any better than this.

Why did you have to pay for a new wiper blade?

The prices you have mentioned for some of the additional fittings such as mud flaps, etc and alright. You are getting quality. I do not have a car from the same segment, the accessories cost around the same and the quality is terrible.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:41   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the luxo-barge, Dkaile. The Superb is so good that it resulted in the company chairman being fired. Yep, one of the reasons behind Reinhard Jung's exit (then top man of Skoda) was the Superb being better than the Passat, at a lower price. Rumour mills insist that the next-gen Superb will be smaller.

Loved your attention to detail...this review is as good as it gets, and I hope you intend to keep updating it.

Thanks for sharing & do drive safe.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:42   #45
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. She looks like a million bucks in Brunello Rosa.

Cheers from another Toyota - Skoda convert

The build quality of Skoda is just amazing. Enjoy the beauty and post updates.

OT - The price is just unbelievable! I shelled out pretty much the same amount for my Laura in Bangalore.
ganeshram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks