Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 19:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading about your first outing with the beast.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on TB2!!! Now, since you have owned both Safari and Scorpio, would you put a brief comparison? It would of great help to me.

I am looking forward to know, what vehicle you prefer to drive everyday.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:11   #18

Congrats Guruji! Nice write-up n pics.
Couple of small questions: Does the reverse camera protrude out of the rear bumper (is it exposed to external damage in case tailgated)? Or is suitably recessed - could not make out clearly!
Were all post purchase/accessorisation jobs done @ Deepak's?
Cost of sound-proofing and rat-proofing (individually = material+labour)?

Have a safe n enjoyable experience with TB-II!
Old 28th March 2012, 20:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thank you so much Sachin. OTR is on the agenda and the passenger seat is reserved for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Congrats! Having seen the car in person, i must say - it looks awesome!
I must also commend you on the energy and patience in getting all the mods done! i for one - lack that kind of patience.

Loved the rat filter idea - very useful. Now you need to turn out for a OTR in your new bull

I volunteer for the passenger seat - should this happen.
Thank you Ashish. In any case I don't buy that old cars. At the most 2 years old.

And let Ankush ask this question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Heartiest Congratulation GD Sahab,

Glad you landed up a newer vehicle rather than a 9-10 year older vehicle with it's own set of problems.

PS: Ankush's ques is still pending, "party kithhe" ??
Thank you Amol. M&M has indeed come out with a reasonably priced true 4x4 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

Congrats GD Saab. The LX 4x4 is indeed a VFM option for those who need the basic comfort and the all wheel drive.
Dhanyavaad Dagdhar babu. TB II was not the reason for the cancellation of the trip. I would've then in any case gone in The Bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Mubarak ho, Guru-ji. However, it was unfortunate that you had to cancel your Gujarat trip on board TB-II - had told you that you would get TB-II before you left for the trip, but you decided to cancel it anyway!
Thanks v&v. The camera & the parking sensors are not integrated; they are independent of each other. While the camera shows up on the music system's console, parking sensors have their own small display that sits atop the RVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post

Congrats GD bhai. Nice description on your buying experience.
Is the reverse camera and parking sensors integrated ie do they show up on the display.
Thank you Roadie. Pictures of the interior are going to take some time. Bear with me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post

Congrats on your purchase. As said by others a great VFM product. Looking very good in black. Wish you many happy and safe miles. Eagerly waiting for interior photos.
Thanks BlackPearl. I shall shortly do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Congrats GD1418 on the TBII. Wish you many miles of happiness. The mesh to stop rodents is a very good idea. I need to look at my Bolero to see if there is any such gap. Can you please post a picture of the engine bay and also of the console with the 4H/4L engaged?
Thanks Dev. Right now I don't have the figure for the insurance but it was definitely lesser than what the Showroom quoted. The Regn process is still going on as I've asked for a specific number. I might have to pay a bit more. You can take out the calculator and add up the figures. I still have to pay some more and also the labour to Manoj for installing the rat mesh and configuring the rear DRLs.

The dampening material is quite heavy. I shall not be able to comment on the NVH factor as being a new vehicle it was quite silent on its own and with this put on it certainly must've reduced further. I'm using the OSRAM Night Breakers - I mentioned that above. No? Still not satisfied with the HLs's focussing. Need to have a session with Manoj to rectify this and then only can comment.

Pictures are slowly coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Congrats on the new acquisition. Here is my string of questions:

1. How much did you pay for the insurance?
2. Were you able to get the regn done cheaper than what is quoted by the dealer? If so, by how much?
3. What did the mods cost you?
4. How heavy is the damping material and how effective is it?
5. What HL bulbs are you using and how is the HL throw now compared to the OEM bulbs if you have changed them?

And lastly, there is not one good picture of the vehicle after all the mods. Please post lots of interior exterior, ICE and other relevant pictures of your Bull. Happy Motoring.
Thanks Harry. It indeed calls for a celebration. When is your trip to the North?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

Well done gd1418. Great to read about TBII's progress.
Congratulations !
The snap of the two black brothers looks nice. Do put up additional snaps of TBII in detail.
First new vehicle purchase calls for a rousing celebration !
Will be reading with great interest the adventures of TBII here.
Wishing you many, many delightful miles with the new member of the family.
Thanks Nilanjan. The beast has already done two trips to Sariska and back and a brief mention of that is on my Sariska travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading about your first outing with the beast.
Thanks WhiteKnight. Some years back on TBHP I had done this comparison and I don't remember under what section it was done. You will have to search for it. Nothing has changed between then & now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post

Congratulations on TB2!!! Now, since you have owned both Safari and Scorpio, would you put a brief comparison? It would of great help to me.

I am looking forward to know, what vehicle you prefer to drive everyday.

Last edited by gd1418 : 28th March 2012 at 20:22.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:24   #20
BHPian

Many Congratulations! I have used the Scorpio for a a few months and have used the Safari for a year and a half too. I love both these vehicles for different reasons.

Anyway, wish you joyous miles ahead.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

I'm using the OSRAM Night Breakers - I mentioned that above. No? Still not satisfied with the HLs's focussing. Need to have a session with Manoj to rectify this and then only can comment.
GD sir, One question on the change of bulbs -

Why is it that Osram with the same wattage throw more light? After all - with the same wattage it is the "reflector" that will decide the quality of throw as the bulb's luminousity will be the same? no?

And in this case, the reflector is also the same - so should have have much of a difference from OEM bulbs?

pls clarify.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Lancer. First of all the reverse camera is not on the bumper. A hole has been drilled into the rear door and the camera fitted there. Entire accessorisation was done at Deepak's. As mentioned some works are still to be done. I haven't yet paid for the labour. Sound proofing material cost I've already mentioned. For rat-proofing the wire mesh was purchased in 2011 when Dev's and my other Scorp was done. The remaining was kept in safe custody. The silicon rubber sealant was bought by me. Manoj only fitted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Lancer View Post

Congrats Guruji! Nice write-up n pics.
Couple of small questions: Does the reverse camera protrude out of the rear bumper (is it exposed to external damage in case tailgated)? Or is suitably recessed - could not make out clearly!
Were all post purchase/accessorisation jobs done @ Deepak's?
Cost of sound-proofing and rat-proofing (individually = material+labour)?

Have a safe n enjoyable experience with TB-II!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post

Many Congratulations! I have used the Scorpio for a a few months and have used the Safari for a year and a half too. I love both these vehicles for different reasons.

Anyway, wish you joyous miles ahead.
That is what the packaging of Osram says and so do many others who have used it. While theoritacally what you say about the luminosity is correct but these Germans are using a secret WW II technology hitherto unrevealed to the world. China has procured a consignment of these bulbs and trying to find out the technology and copy it. I expect to see these bulbs for half the price at Ghaffar market in the near future.

Hope this clarifies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

GD sir, One question on the change of bulbs -

Why is it that Osram with the same wattage throw more light? After all - with the same wattage it is the "reflector" that will decide the quality of throw as the bulb's luminousity will be the same? no?

And in this case, the reflector is also the same - so should have have much of a difference from OEM bulbs?

pls clarify.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:44   #23
AWD
BHPian

Many congratulations Gd. I would like to know whether the suspension of Scorpio 4x2 & 4x4 is the same or some components differ? Also as you own both, could you compare the ride quality of both?

A pic. of interiors w.r.t. 4x4 shifter would be great!

P.S: What were the reasons for choosing extra damping, has Mahindra skimped on damping material or does a lot of sound filter inside the cabin?

Last edited by AWD : 28th March 2012 at 21:46.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks AWD. The 4x2 that I own is a 2004 model that came with leaf springs at the rear. The current 4x4 is an independent suspension. That in itself is a major difference. To be honest I've not found any great difference in the ride quality of both.

Karizma9292 was the first on TBHP to own a LX 4x4 and he has posted pictures of the interior. You and others can have a look here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...io-lx-4wd.html

I was not too keen on the dampening material. Deepak & my son in tandem prevailed. Secondly, what I found was that the metal gauge of the body shell was thinner as compared to that of my old Scorpio. Felt & sounded very tinnish. Extra dampening would surely go a long way in reducing the NVH considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Many congratulations Gd. I would like to know whether the suspension of Scorpio 4x2 & 4x4 is the same or some components differ? Also as you own both, could you compare the ride quality of both?

A pic. of interiors w.r.t. 4x4 shifter would be great!

P.S: What were the reasons for choosing extra damping, has Mahindra skimped on damping material or does a lot of sound filter inside the cabin?
Old 28th March 2012, 22:13   #25
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
The 4x2 came with leaf springs at the rear. The current 4x4 is an independent suspension.
Karizma9292 was the first on TBHP to own a LX 4x4 and he has posted pictures of the interior.
Extra dampening would surely go a long way in reducing the NVH considerably.
Thanks a lot Gd. I was a bit aprehensive about 4x4's ride quality but your post has cleared the air.

Saw Karizma's thread, like the shifter. Btw, the tyres & wheels on his vehicle are looking great(Punjabi touch!)

The extra damping is a new trend Im noticing, could try on one of my cars too!

On seeing some 4x4's on this board, Im pretty keen on getting one for myself. Maybe a Black or a White one.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

I had not anticipated that M&M would cut corners to this extent to make the LX 4x4 a total bare bones vehicle. It is only when I started accessorizing TB II that I realized what all was missing.

A few of my pet peeves:

1. They have provided a hole on the roof where the antenna is fixed and covered it with a rubber stub. But don't make a mistake of buying the antenna since there is no antenna cable inside.

2. No switch & wiring harness for the fog lamps. The switch is integrated in the switching console that operates HLs, wipers & indicators. But the console of LX 4x4 doesn't have that integrated switch. One has to change the entire console itself and to get a wiring harness is next to impossible.

3. The Headlamps came unfocussed. When I asked the showroom, they said it should normally would have been done during PDI, but if not then I should go to ASC and get it done. The very thought of going to ASC for this simple job gave me a seizure.

4. At least powered OVRMs could've been given. How do they expect the driver to lean across the passenger seat and adjust the left OVRM?

Before I forget and live to regret, here are those few whom I would like to sincerely thank for helping me decide, book & expedite the delivery of TB II.

1. Devdath (n. devdath) - a CRDe scorpio owner who coaxed & convinced me to go for LX 4x4 instead of a Pajero
2. Sunil Misra - Dev's friend with a heavy clout in Sterling Motors, Gurgaon. Things worked out smooth & fast.
3. Ajay Seth - my school classmate and CFO Maruti Suzuki, who leaned a bit heavily on his M&M counterpart to speed-up the production & delivery
4. Roshun - a CRDe 4x4 Scorpio owner, media person & Reviewer & test driver with contacts in M&M.
5. Harish (Guderian) - HR honcho with links to M&M quality control GM
6. SS_Traveller - owner of MHawk AT 4x4 with contacts at Sterling
7. Sachin (sach.sri) - owner of MHawk SLX with strong connections at Sterling ASC (I shall be needing all of that).

Last edited by gd1418 : 28th March 2012 at 22:33.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:18   #27
BHPian

Congrats GD for the Bull II. I have heard that LX 4X4 exists but i have not seen anyone getting it. Does SLE also has 4X4?
The mods were nice especially the music system and rat mesh! Looking forward for more pictures.
Regards, Scorpio Fan
Old 28th March 2012, 22:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Now you know two who have got the LX 4x4..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
Congrats GD for the Bull II. I have heard that LX 4X4 exists but i have not seen anyone getting it. Does SLE also has 4X4?
The mods were nice especially the music system and rat mesh! Looking forward for more pictures.
Regards, Scorpio Fan
Old 28th March 2012, 22:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats GD1418!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Many congratulations Gd. I would like to know whether the suspension of Scorpio 4x2 & 4x4 is the same or some components differ?
Quote:
Thanks AWD. The 4x2 that I own is a 2004 model that came with leaf springs at the rear. The current 4x4 is an independent suspension. That in itself is a major difference. To be honest I've not found any great difference in the ride quality of both.
The rear suspension setup in newer Scorpio's now have coil springs based setup but it still is not independent. Scorpio 4wd comes with Torsion beam front setup compared to coil spring based setup for 2wd.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hello GD,

Many congratulations and great adds to the new prize. The rat mesh is a cool one and wish M&M think from these small yet important aspects.

Need more pictures to do the justice to so many adds!!

Happy Motoring!

Most Viewed