Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 23:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4

Sarkar,

Congratulations! Really nice show. So 3.5 dabbas of laddoos will now be distributed at this week's Quick Meet? What time will you be coming? I will be in for a short while at the start.
Old 28th March 2012, 23:39   #32
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Scorpio 4wd comes with Torsion beam front setup compared to coil spring based setup for 2wd.
Thanks. So what's the difference between the ride quality of the two? Is the torsion beam setup stiffer?
Old 28th March 2012, 23:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the LX 4x4! I would say this is a wonderful piece of machinery who prefer a no-frills reliable machine! It would have been great from M&M's part if they had provided ABS at-least as an option on LX. I actually don't like the VLX version just because of those numerous electronics associated with it. I prefer a SLE to VLX, but wish SLE came with a 4x4 option.

Wish you miles of happy motoring! You look like forgot one thing - You explained so much in detail about the alloys & procuring those, but missed to add even one pic of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
...Does SLE also has 4X4?
SLE does NOT come with 4x4, not even as an option.
Old 28th March 2012, 23:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anshuman. And yet another thanks for the enlightenment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Congrats GD1418!

The rear suspension setup in newer Scorpio's now have coil springs based setup but it still is not independent. Scorpio 4wd comes with Torsion beam front setup compared to coil spring based setup for 2wd.
Thank you Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Hello GD,

Many congratulations and great adds to the new prize. The rat mesh is a cool one and wish M&M think from these small yet important aspects.

Need more pictures to do the justice to so many adds!!

Happy Motoring!
Thank you Hitanshu. On second thoughts, am thinking of skipping the meet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Sarkar,

Congratulations! Really nice show. So 3.5 dabbas of laddoos will now be distributed at this week's Quick Meet? What time will you be coming? I will be in for a short while at the start.
Thanks so very much. And no, I've not forgotten. The moment I try to upload a few pictures, someone or the other posts here & I end up responding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Congrats on the LX 4x4! I would say this is a wonderful piece of machinery who prefer a no-frills reliable machine! It would have been great from M&M's part if they had provided ABS at-least as an option on LX. I actually don't like the VLX version just because of those numerous electronics associated with it. I prefer a SLE to VLX, but wish SLE came with a 4x4 option.

Wish you miles of happy motoring! You look like forgot one thing - You explained so much in detail about the alloys & procuring those, but missed to add even one pic of it!

SLE does NOT come with 4x4, not even as an option.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2012 at 19:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 28th March 2012, 23:52   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thanks. So what's the difference between the ride quality of the two? Is the torsion beam setup stiffer?
Though it is hard to spot the difference in the ride quality between the two, the torsion beam setup results in lesser bobbing of the vehicle compared to the IFS on the 2WD.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 00:04   #36
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
torsion beam setup results in lesser bobbing of the vehicle compared to the IFS on the 2WD.
So you've driven both 4x2 & 4x4. I was waiting for someone to confirm this fact because local Mahindra dealership execs. knew zilch. They were maintaining that both variants come with same suspension setup.

If ride quality deteriorates on 4x4, I may not buy the vehicle because ride quality is of paramount importance to me. Lower back problems are responsible for this!
Old 29th March 2012, 00:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

To continue further, When I took the delivery on 9th March, the odo read 7.2 Kms. Twenty days later the odo reads - 1966 Kms. This included two round-trips to Sariska & back and some city driving.

Two tank refills have returned a mileage of 13.66 kmpl & 14.7 Kmpl with intermittent AC usage.

Some of my observations:

1. It takes time to get used to a new generation engine if you have been driving a DI engine all your life.

2. The engine stalled a few times in 2nd & 3rd gear as the MHawk lacks that low-end torque which the DI engine has in loads.

3. Bigger size brakes give you more teeth & braking power.

4. The speedo has an error of 5 km/h. Checked with two different GPS units. GPS shows 95 km/h while the speedo needle is on 100 km/h.

5. Unending power. Even at 110 + km/h, the pedal is not even floored halfway.

6. True to Scorpio tradition, uncomfortable driver seat. Tires you out. And the funny depression in the middle of the seat hampers vision of shortys like me. I will need to put extra sponge under the cover to raise the height.

Now it is time for some photographs. These have been shot on Sunday in and around Sariska.

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6097.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6100.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6089.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6093.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6099.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6103.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6090.jpg

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-6098.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th March 2012 at 00:27.
gd1418 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 09:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the suspension of Scorpio 4x2 & 4x4 is the same or some components differ?
As .anshuman explained, the 4x4 has a torsion bar setup in front, while the 4x2 has a coil spring setup. Rear suspension is essentially the same. 4x4's suspension travel is less than that of the 4x2, and stiffer. There are advantages to it in terms of lesser body roll, and disadvantages as in the suspension tends to hit the bump stop when flying over a large bump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
...uncomfortable driver seat. Tires you out. And the funny depression in the middle of the seat hampers vision of shortys like me. I will need to put extra sponge under the cover to raise the height.
LOL... and I had to remove some of the sponge to make mine comfortable (described in my ownership thread)!
Old 29th March 2012, 09:54   #39
BANNED

Quote:
So you've driven both 4x2 & 4x4.
If ride quality deteriorates on 4x4, I may not buy the vehicle because ride quality is of paramount importance to me. Lower back problems are responsible for this!
No no, let me clarify AWD. Lesser bobbing at the front actually results in better ride quality in the 4WD when compared to the 2WD. Go ahead and take a test drive. It will clarify all your doubts. In fact, the 4WD version rides better than the 2WD, on all roads.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:30   #40
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
4x4 has a torsion bar setup in front, while the 4x2 has a coil spring setup. 4x4's suspension travel is less than that of the 4x2, and stiffer
I've driven 4x2 & found the ride to be comfy. Hope the 4x4 doesn't transmit too many bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
take a test drive. 4WD version rides better than the 2WD, on all roads.
4X4 on order/demand only, so no TD's! Though my doubts have been clarified & it would now be easier for me to decide. Thanks.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats gd1418 for Bull II. Hope you have many happy miles in it.

I have a query-does the Lx come with roof-rails and rear spoiler as standard? I ask because I have seen a couple of Lx with rear spoiler as well as door mounted stop lamp(inside the rear glass). I thought the spoiler might have been aftermarket.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

I have a query-does the Lx come with roof-rails and rear spoiler as standard? I ask because I have seen a couple of Lx with rear spoiler as well as door mounted stop lamp(inside the rear glass). I thought the spoiler might have been aftermarket.

I might be able to help. Yes rear spoiler and roof rails come as standard fitment on LX. Only EX version does not have these as standard fitment.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 11:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashis. This LX 4x4 is stock. It doesn't have a door mounted stop lamp inside the rear glass, though they have provided holes so that one can fit after-market if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Old 29th March 2012, 12:29   #44
BHPian

The Bull II is growing up into a nice handsome being. Let's all do a day trip to RJ and visit a few dunes. What say Fox & Bull II on a weekend?

Cheers,
Old 29th March 2012, 13:29   #45
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the LX 4x4, GD. Great set of mods on the vehicle.

Quote:
I had not anticipated that M&M would cut corners to this extent to make the LX 4x4 a total bare bones vehicle. It is only when I started accessorizing TB II that I realized what all was missing.

A few of my pet peeves:

2. No switch & wiring harness for the fog lamps. The switch is integrated in the switching console that operates HLs, wipers & indicators. But the console of LX 4x4 doesn't have that integrated switch. One has to change the entire console itself and to get a wiring harness is next to impossible.
My dealer provided a seperate switch for the fog lamps below the steering wheel, when i got them fitted at the time of delivery. You can refer my ownerhsip thread for the same. Anjaan had a seperate switch which was provided on the center console for the fog lamps.

Quote:
3. The Headlamps came unfocussed. When I asked the showroom, they said it should normally would have been done during PDI, but if not then I should go to ASC and get it done. The very thought of going to ASC for this simple job gave me a seizure.
It was the same story on my Scorpio as well. I initially thought the throw from the headlights were so poor, and was considering after market bulbs. However, based on SS-T's suggestion, got them focussed once again at the dealer when going for the first service, and i have no complaints now. This should have been done at the time of PDI.

To add to your peeves, here is another one.
Open the rear doors, without opening the front doors. You would realize that the cabin light does not light up. The boffins at M&M have been stingy with two sensors and wiring for the rear doors, which are responsible for lighting up the cabin when the door is opened. Go figure!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks