Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2016, 20:33   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sunny days are here again... (Nissan Sunny Diesel XL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well as per schedule you are supposed to change it at 4 years or 80k kms whichever is earlier.

Also how are the tyres holding up. I need to change my car's tyres. Its running on stock MRFs R14. Confused if I should upgrade to R15 or continue with the same configuration.
Still 10000 kms left in them.. At least.
Old 5th November 2016, 22:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quick Update: Car Age: 56 Months roughly. Kms covered 62000 ODO (65K Actual). No troubles to report.

I am now in two minds, either to keep the car for another 2 - 3 years, or sell of now.

Expenses which are upcoming in the next 1 year:

1) 5 Year Road Tax is due in March 2017 which is a fair amount.
2) New Tyres
3) Suspension Work (All 4 shocks + Arms Etc)
4) Front Brake Discs and Pads.
5) Painting of all 4 doors (There is rust originating near the door handles)

I am looking at upcoming expenses north of Rs. 1 Lac including Road Tax...

Super confused.
Old 6th November 2016, 11:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Your's is the third car on the forum AFAIK ( including mine), that has got its shocker and starter motor replaced/repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The starter motor is an issue for sure. I know 2 more sunny owners who had issues with the starter motor (one diesel, one petrol). Also nissan has priced the starter motor for diesel at upwards of 25000 apparently.
My diesel Micra had its starter motor repaired around 50000+ kms on the odo, while the front shock absorbers got replaced around 70000+ kms; surely seems like a inherent issue. During the 4yr/80000km service, I asked my S.A about the price of starter motor and he replied it costs nearly 28k and isn't easily available.

Quote:
Are parts available outside easily? My car has also finished 51 months and has covered 53k km. I am keen to take it to the FNG from now on.
Original parts are not that easily available atleast in Kolkata, but compatible ones are available in a number of online sites as well as in brick and mortar stores. I too am planning to do routine services like engine oil change from FNG and have got hold of the oil filter (OEM).

Quote:
Quick Update: Car Age: 56 Months roughly. Kms covered 62000 ODO (65K Actual). No troubles to report.

I am now in two minds, either to keep the car for another 2 - 3 years, or sell of now.

I am looking at upcoming expenses north of Rs. 1 Lac including Road Tax...

Super confused.
Just my two cents, spending the above mentioned amount would make your Sunny as good as new. You may even look into clutch overhaul as well if required. A new car with same features would set you back by a good 10 lac. Since your car is trouble and niggle free, same with my Micra, you could easily keep it for the next 2-3 years. What has been the average life of the front brake pads of your car? Mine lasts around 20k.
Old 7th November 2016, 00:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post

Just my two cents, spending the above mentioned amount would make your Sunny as good as new. You may even look into clutch overhaul as well if required. A new car with same features would set you back by a good 10 lac. Since your car is trouble and niggle free, same with my Micra, you could easily keep it for the next 2-3 years. What has been the average life of the front brake pads of your car? Mine lasts around 20k.
About every 30000 kms
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:58   #80
BHPian

Hi Abhi. How many km did your Sunny cover? Mine has crossed 40k (4 years) and as part of the service, the ASC are asking to replace the timing belt (around 6.2K) and drive belt (2K). Thought the timing belt should have had a longer life? Did you do the same? I see Dr Mohit has the same experience. Did anyone actually do that?

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 3rd February 2017 at 19:03.
Old 4th February 2017, 13:37   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Hi Abhi. How many km did your Sunny cover? Mine has crossed 40k (4 years) and as part of the service, the ASC are asking to replace the timing belt (around 6.2K) and drive belt (2K). Thought the timing belt should have had a longer life? Did you do the same? I see Dr Mohit has the same experience. Did anyone actually do that?
Mine is still running with the stock belt. The car will complete 5 years this April and is nearing 65k kms. I would advise against changing the belt. At best you can probably get it inspected at an FNG and assess the condition of the belt. 4 years is too soon for the belt to be replaced. I have stopped following Nissan's recommended 6 months/10k km service intervals.
Old 4th February 2017, 14:42   #82
BANNED

Quote:
I have stopped following Nissan's recommended 6 months/10k km service intervals.
This is one absurd interval for service I have ever seen. Does it speak regarding the less confidence Nissan has on their engines / cars?

Ideal service interval should be 10K/15K or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

Maruti recommends a 90K kms interval for changing the timing chain. I didn't let them touch it at the 90K service as it was going fine. Currently my Swift is at 1,06,000 kms. I'll be getting it done at 1,10,000 kms and my car is 3 years and 1 month old.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 15:08   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is one absurd interval for service I have ever seen. Does it speak regarding the less confidence Nissan has on their engines / cars?

Maruti recommends a 90K kms interval for changing the timing chain. I didn't let them touch it at the 90K service as it was going fine. Currently my Swift is at 1,06,000 kms. I'll be getting it done at 1,10,000 kms and my car is 3 years and 1 month old.
Exactly. I got the belt changed in my Innova at 1.51L kms and that was after 9 years of usage. I told this to Nissan dealership too that how come all others car makers follow larger service intervals. Ofcourse they didn't have an answer for that other than saying Nissan recommends it. The thing is if they want the interval to be 6 months then the km reading should also be 5k kms only and not 10k kms as this brings a huge disparity for most owners where the car will not cover 10k kms every 6 months. This leads to the funny service recommendations for most owners where their 4 year/30k km run cars are being serviced as per the 80k km requirements leading to change of parts un-necessarily and un-fairly too.
Old 4th February 2017, 16:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
I have stopped following Nissan's recommended 6 months/10k km service intervals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

The 6 months / 10000 kms service intervals is a bit too short. Nissan uses mineral grade engine oil so stretching the service interval to 1 year or 10k/15k isn't feasible but for air filter,fuel filter and cabin filter it seems too early. Googled and found that Maruti recommends changing the same filters for Swift at 20000 kms and same with Hyundai for i20. An online check also revealed that Toyota uses lifetime Denso fuel filter for diesel Etios which doesn't need to be replaced.

Quote:
The thing is if they want the interval to be 6 months then the km reading should also be 5k kms only and not 10k kms as this brings a huge disparity for most owners where the car will not cover 10k kms every 6 months.
Agreed that average Indian buyer won't be travelling 10000 kms in 6 months. Nissan could change the service schedule to 6 months / 5000 kms but then the list of parts that need to be replaced has to be changed as well which might lead to lesser revenues from the service division. I too was thinking if I could change my fuel filter every 12 months / 20000 kms instead of the scheduled 6 months / 10000 kms since the car is out of warranty now but it seems a bit risky. The fuel filter costs roughly 1800 bucks and is one of the major components of the service cost.
rupdeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 19:13   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 6 months / 10000 kms service intervals is a bit too short. Nissan uses mineral grade engine oil so stretching the service interval to 1 year or 10k/15k isn't feasible but for air filter,fuel filter and cabin filter it seems too early.
I am not sure about others but Toyota uses mineral oil too as the recommended oil. And they follow the 1 year/10k km service interval for the oil change. I have had the Innova for 10 years and even my Altis diesel is now in its 6th year. Both have used only mineral oil. So it is not unusual for 10k km or yearly change for mineral oils too. And we all know about the reliability of that Toyota engine.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quick update :

Car running well and strong. Decided to retain it for the next couple of years.

Expenses incurred:

1) 5 Year Road Tax
2) Suspension Work (All 4 shocks + Arms + Bushes Etc)
3) Painting of all 4 doors and both bumpers (No more rust and scrapes )
4) Also repainted the alloys myself, DIY style! Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...pray-cans.html
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 19:52   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mind sharing the cost? Should be helpful for fellow members and readers. Thanks
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 12:52   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update :

Car running well and strong. Decided to retain it for the next couple of years.

Expenses incurred:

1) 5 Year Road Tax
3) Painting of all 4 doors and both bumpers (No more rust and scrapes )
Wish you more happy miles with the Sunny. Are you visiting Chandrani Nissan or Mohan Nissan for your service needs? My car is completing 5 years in June and I'm confused whether to go for one-time(5 years) or lifetime road tax. Is the difference enough to go for lifetime as I plan to keep her long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Do you mind sharing the cost? Should be helpful for fellow members and readers. Thanks
I too wish to know the expenses, both suspension work and painting, if you don't mind sharing.

Regards,
Debrup.
Old 26th February 2017, 22:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Quote:
Wish you more happy miles with the Sunny. Are you visiting Chandrani Nissan or Mohan Nissan for your service needs? My car is completing 5 years in June and I'm confused whether to go for one-time(5 years) or lifetime road tax. Is the difference enough to go for lifetime as I plan to keep her long?

I too wish to know the expenses, both suspension work and painting, if you don't mind sharing.

Regards,
Debrup.
I will scan and upload the bill shortly.

I sent the car to Chandrani Nissan for 4 years, but their attitude is pathetic. Their work is good, but they expect one to leave the car for 2 days for a routine service and keep no parts in stock. Want a shock absorber? Pay an advance and wait for 15 days!

Currently sending to Mohan Nissan.

I will be selling the car after the next 2-3 years, so didn't bother for lifetime tax

Last edited by AbhiJ : 26th February 2017 at 22:54.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 22:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quick update : 67000 kms

Brakes were never a strong suite for the Sunny, and I had the front brake pads changed once before. On the last service, the authorized workshop recommended a change in brake pads and brake discs. The brake discs were never changed and had gotten thin.
Got a quote for 8500 for both.

Decided to google the part costs. I was getting the parts in less than half the cost. Did the math and decided to get the job done from the local garage.

Instead of trusting the garage to use quality parts, I sourced the parts locally myself. Brakes discs + Bosch Brake pads costed me around 3800.

Was about to send it to the garage when happened to see this video

Got adventurous and decided to do the change myself. When I say myself, I told my driver that he ll get the fitting charge the local garage quoted if we he helps! He was more enthusiastic than me! Did the change ourselves and its working great!

Long story short, if you have a spare hour or two, a socket set, a string and a hammer, you can change your own brake discs and pads.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 17th April 2017 at 22:45.

Most Viewed