Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 08:59   #61
BHPian

Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Cool car & I quite like the way the end can looks. It's not too big & just the right size. Have seen some cars with enormous end cans & they simply look out of the place.

Samarth, what is that device on the A-pillar (as seen in Pic.-11 above)? How much did you get it for & from where?
Thanks. I was initially quite baffled to see the size because it was atleast 5 times the dia of the original pipe ! But now that I am used to it, even I feel it looks good.

I think you are referring to the small screen (?), it is a reversing parking sensor display. Shows the distance between the sensor and any object in the path as the car moves backwards.

Hope that helps.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:09   #62
BHPian

Dude! T-Rex looks killer! The only thing missing are angel eyes+ projectors.

As talked about ealier in the thread, the rear looks a bit missed out, though of course the debadged look with the massive FFE gives a clean yet mean look. Maybe a spoiler? Or maybe save up for those LED tailamps on ebay.

How much improvement is there with the 90/100 over the HIDs?

With the addition of FFE and existing wider tyres- kitna deti hai?

Awaiting the FFE videos & some more pics which those hellas on!

And seriously, how many lights inside/outside and how many screens inside!! Never enough
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 10:48   #63
BHPian

the setup looks fab and not overly done.
practical stuff and basics looker setup!!

btw,how much did the hellas with grill cost you?
im planning to get the same!
ariendj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Dude! T-Rex looks killer! The only thing missing are angel eyes+ projectors.

As talked about ealier in the thread, the rear looks a bit missed out, though of course the debadged look with the massive FFE gives a clean yet mean look. Maybe a spoiler? Or maybe save up for those LED tailamps on ebay.

How much improvement is there with the 90/100 over the HIDs?

With the addition of FFE and existing wider tyres- kitna deti hai?

Awaiting the FFE videos & some more pics which those hellas on!

And seriously, how many lights inside/outside and how many screens inside!! Never enough
The fuel consumption is now at about 10 kmpl with 100% AC in ultra short 10 km return trip from office and on 100% city traffic. To be honest, if I drive it with a heavy foot, the mileage is sub-10.
But last tank full, I did one trip to Greater Noida (50 kms on expressway), with the rest of the 280 kms in 100% traffic, resulting in efficiency of about 11-12!
Now only if I could be a bit more disciplined with not testing the accelaration!

I'm thinking of putting a cycle holder at the rear - the sort that looks all pipey (if that's the correct term, lol). Planning to go on drives to areas where I can leave the car and cycle around.

The 90/100s are waaayy better than the crappy Ollo 6000K HIDs.
Now I can say for sure that HIDs on non-projector headlamps are no good.
And somehow, I just don't want to install projectors as it is risky, for the lack of expertise - leaks that allow air in are a constant headache.

List of lights, front to back:

1. Front indicators - stock
2. Front parking lamps:
a. Stock position (inside HL assembly): Philips original parking LED - 6000K
b. Stock fog lamp position: 3 super powerful LED strip, along with one projector lens LED in the center - 6000K
3. Daylight Running Lights: Telefunken on the bumpers - now connected through a separate switch - usually off when the HL's are on (manually switched off, if I remember :P) - 6000K
4. Philips Rally 90/100 Halogens in the stock HL position, with a complete Philips wiring + relay harness - Yellow light
5. Hella 500 Black Magic with Hella 500 grills - Yellow light

6. Inside the cabin - under dash lighting at the front footwells and under seat lighting for the rear footwells - el cheapo LED strips.
7. Puddle lights under all four doors - the same 3 LED strips as on the front fog lamp position
8. Door sills with "Beat" lit up.
9. Boot lighting, with both sides LED strips.

10. Side outer - Stock indicators
11. Rear outer - Stock brake, indicator and reversing lights with stock High Mounted Stop Lamp.
12. Number plate LED lights - one inbuilt in the reversing camera console, one an el cheapo LED bulb thingy.

That's all. Those are the lights!

Coming to the screens:

1. MapMyIndia navigator screen mounted on the quarter glass on driver door.
2. Reversing camera screen with in-built bluetooth, USB port, SD card port - can take calls, play movies, music - connected to main HU through RC to Aux convertor cable.
3. Reversing sensors screen near the left A-pillar on the dashboard.

And separately, one Jabra bluetooth speaker mounted on the driver side visor.

Main zyada nahin chahta :P
Thanks for the compliments buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
the setup looks fab and not overly done.
practical stuff and basics looker setup!!

btw,how much did the hellas with grill cost you?
im planning to get the same!
Thank you very much for the compliments.
The breakup of costing for the Hellas

8.3k for the Hellas vis Amazon.com ($105 or something + shipping, handling, duties came to about $ 150)
3.4k for the grilles via ebay.in (should have bought this from amazon - was cheaper there)
About 1.5k for installation.

So totally about 13.2 k - quite steep a cost, but worth it.

Though somehow I fell the lights might be available cheaper directly bought in India. They were very expensive on Ebay.in - something like 14k I think.

Cheers,
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hey samarth, any pic of current light setup ?, Showing throw on, high and low beam along with hella's.

Cheers
Sameer
Old 10th August 2012, 13:35   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome work boss.

But I feel you really really need to get that consumption checked out.
Even the heaviest foot should not result in such figures.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Hey samarth, any pic of current light setup ?, Showing throw on, high and low beam along with hella's.
Coming up tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Awesome work boss.

But I feel you really really need to get that consumption checked out.
Even the heaviest foot should not result in such figures.
I absolutely agree.
IIRC, I had read on another Beat ownership review of the ECU re-mapping or something that Chevrolet had done for the Beat. There are supposed to be three versions, the latest one ensuring a better pick-up on gear 1 and also improving the mileage.
Problem is, I don't know if they would do it for my car for free (like they did for others) considering all the mods.

Although, with a heavy foot and 195s on the rims, my mileage seems to have dropped by about 3 kmpl. And I am yet to drive on proper highways! It should come out better then. My small trip to Neemrana a few months back (before the FFE) returned a decent mileage of about 15 kmpl - this is ofcourse approximation as not even one tankful was used.

Sameer, Mayank - Agra, Sunday? I can go today also!

Cheers.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 10th August 2012 at 13:53.
Old 10th August 2012, 14:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Sameer, Mayank - Agra, Sunday? I can go today also!
Seriously man, I am up for drive on yamuna e-way. I was about to leave for bhiwadi, but then a phone call came and plan got cancelled

Today, tomorrow or sunday. No issues.

I'm in

And Mayankk is on his way to neemrana, He can't join, I guess.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 10th August 2012, 16:55   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

Seriously man, I am up for drive on yamuna e-way. I was about to leave for bhiwadi, but then a phone call came and plan got cancelled

Today, tomorrow or sunday. No issues.

I'm in

And Mayankk is on his way to neemrana, He can't join, I guess.

Cheers,
Sameer

Yeah, plus my cars at the garage, accident.
I'll get it sometime around Sunday.
On the dzire for now to neemrana .. .:(

Let's do Agra sometime soon.
This way to Jaipur side is useless to get decent FE, if you want to check that.
Old 12th August 2012, 23:01   #70
BHPian

A drive today on the Yamuna Expressway proved that the car can handle constant 130-140 kmph quite well. Though a slight wobble with a bit of an alignment issue ensured that two hands were required on the steering wheel constantly. And 32 psi may not be the ideal pressure for the tyres. 30 psi is what I shall insist on from now on.

Other than that, sane speeds of 80 to 100 kmph were found to be quite comfortable.

I need a really good camera to capture the lighting difference after having installed the 90/100s and the Hellas.

Cheers.
Sam
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:02   #71
BHPian

Awesome mods man....your T-rex looks amazing. I have been thinking of some mods for a while now, but as you said, Vitamin M is needed, and it has come in abundance just recently. Presently planning for the parking LEDs, Puddle lamps and those Super bright LED strips and projector LED at fog lamp space you have. Can u guide me where and how to procure these specific items along with approx expenditure? My problem is that this stuff is not easily available where i live at present (Nagpur). I will be coming to Delhi maybe in sep-oct for a couple of days, so your prior guidance would be a big help.
Present mods in my car [Beat-LT] are just the ICE setup (Polk Audio 6 and 1/2 inch component speakers on Bass-FX parcel tray in the rear and Hertz Energy 4 inches speakers in the front stock position.....HU is the stock one) and ORVMs with LED indicators. Bought philips extreme vision headlamps recently (1200rs for a pair) but yet to install them.
By the way, i wonder if u like the all black ORVMs of your car...i think body coloured ones with indicators would look cool on a car as good looking as yours. Here are a few snaps of my ORVMs for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more-dsc02683.jpg  

The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more-dsc02689edit.jpg  

The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more-dsc02690.jpg  

Old 20th October 2012, 01:52   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Awesome mods man....your T-rex looks amazing. I have been thinking of some mods for a while now, but as you said, Vitamin M is needed, and it has come in abundance just recently. Presently planning for the parking LEDs, Puddle lamps and those Super bright LED strips and projector LED at fog lamp space you have. Can u guide me where and how to procure these specific items along with approx expenditure?

By the way, i wonder if u like the all black ORVMs of your car...i think body coloured ones with indicators would look cool on a car as good looking as yours. Here are a few snaps of my ORVMs for reference.

Hi Akshat,

My apologizes for responding this late. Been away from TBHP and this thread for a while.
I can certainly help you with the lights procurement here in Delhi. If you want, I can arrange to get them delivered to you through "Driven", essentially a car accessories store in Delhi.
They keep the bright LED strip in stock, and should be able to send you the same in the lengths you tell them.
I procured the projector LEDs from dx.com. They're available at good prices there, only problem is it takes about a month and a half to deliver them. If you're not in a hurry, this shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you very much for your compliments.

About the body coloured ORVMs, honestly, in Delhi, the mad traffic doesn't allow coloured ones to be in good condition. Plus, I personally find the OEM mirrors a bit too large. So coloured ones sort of amplify that look.
Plus, I kind of like the contrast the black mirrors give.
I am playing with the idea of getting the inner reflectors of the head lamps smoked out. Saw a decent job done on a Swift for only Rs. 500.
Still unsure about doing that though.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of your car. It looks neat. I do like the Red on the Beat.

Cheers,
Sam

-------------

After a series of short trips out of Delhi in the past few weeks, I have noticed a very slight shuddering-sqeaky sound coming from near the tail end of the exhaust.
Been driving around my mother's City, our company's Omni, and a short drive on my father's Accord.
But one blip, and that exhaust just makes me smile like a kid!

Now, only if it weren't for that odd squeaky sound..

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 20th October 2012 at 01:56.
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
7. Puddle lights under all four doors - the same 3 LED strips as on the front fog lamp position

9. Boot lighting, with both sides LED strips.
Hi Samarth,

Can you pls put up some close up photos of these two set ups? I am assuming that the puddle lamps and the boot lamps are connected to the door switches (so that they turn on when the doors are opened). It would be helpful to know about how the wiring was done and how the wires are routed as I am also keen on getting the "puddle lamp" in my Swift. Pls provide some details on these LED strips and can they be installed DIY?
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:27   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Hi Samarth,

Can you pls put up some close up photos of these two set ups? I am assuming that the puddle lamps and the boot lamps are connected to the door switches (so that they turn on when the doors are opened). It would be helpful to know about how the wiring was done and how the wires are routed as I am also keen on getting the "puddle lamp" in my Swift. Pls provide some details on these LED strips and can they be installed DIY?

Hi wanderer,

I will definitely help you in the best manner possible.

The puddle lamps come on when the doors open. The lamps on all the doors come on even if one door is open. You can just ask the mechanic to link it to the button that controls the function of the cabin light (when door opens).

The boot LEDs are linked to the rear parking lights, and are on while the parking light is on.

It's a bit tough to get you the pictures of the wiring as it is mostly concealed in both the cases.

Hope that helps.

Sam

PS: The puddle lights would look wonderful on the Swift.. Have seen a couple of them around town.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
The puddle lamps come on when the doors open. The lamps on all the doors come on even if one door is open. You can just ask the mechanic to link it to the button that controls the function of the cabin light (when door opens).

The boot LEDs are linked to the rear parking lights, and are on while the parking light is on.
I think then the boot LED on the inside can be linked to the door switch so that it comes on when the boot is opened in the same manner as the cabin light. Can you post a pic of the placement of the boot LED and the puddle ones?

Also, what LED's have you used for the doors? Those stick on white LED strips or something else? Can you point me to any brand or type?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks