Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 12:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A New (Old!) Beginning: Honda Civic S-MT

Hey razor. Congrats !!!! Used Civic is always a good choice. BTW going by the number plate I think I have seen your Civic quite a few times but dont remember where. Anyway enjoy the car.
Old 29th April 2012, 17:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Pictures.Thanks for sharing them.

Another thing you must correct is the Ulta S on the Boot.
Old 29th April 2012, 22:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic
Another thing you must correct is the Ulta S on the Boot.
Looks straight to me... maybe it's slipped down a bit.

Update: took the car on a longish drive today. Brakes are in great shape but need to bed in a bit. No more steering shudder or noise while braking. Alignment seemed a little off though, maybe as a result of the tyre rotation. Will get an alignment and balancing done soon. Lights are pretty poor. Need to upgrade ASAP - suggestions welcome.

Last edited by razor4077 : 29th April 2012 at 23:00.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:41   #19
BHPian

Congrats, Razor!! The car looks great... I've loved the Civic ever since it came out and even after so many years, it has managed to retain its charm. You still have the awesome ICE from the phoenix na? Get it installed pronto

And yes, that front door is sticking out like a sore thumb. Perhaps a visit by our resident detailer noshu can help?
Old 30th April 2012, 00:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Looks straight to me... maybe it's slipped down a bit.

Update: took the car on a longish drive today. Brakes are in great shape but need to bed in a bit. No more steering shudder or noise while braking. Alignment seemed a little off though, maybe as a result of the tyre rotation. Will get an alignment and balancing done soon. Lights are pretty poor. Need to upgrade ASAP - suggestions welcome.
The S is indeed Ulta just rotate it in Anticlockwise direction and it will be perfect.

For the headlight upgrade i would suggest you to go for the upgrade which i went for it was super cost effective involving almost negligible mods and Light throw is simply superb. 100times better than stock.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-201.html

Please refer to my post 3014 of the above given thread i have explained in detail about the Headlight upgrade I did with the pictures of light throw and also the cost involved and what all is required. The post might be little confusing so just to clarify that the 9006(xtreme vision Philips) bulb which is a code for hi-beam bulb in civic was fitted in the low beam position and a new 100w 9006 bulb was fitted in Hi-Beam postition. Hence now my lights are 100/60W compared to stock which is 60/51W.
Relay used for 100w bulb is of Bosch and the wiring used is of finolex forgot the gauge though.
Your electrician might say relay is not required as civic already has an relay but DO INSTALL a separate relay if you don't want the expensive combination switch to be shot. With a Relay absolutely no issues with combination switch.

This was NOT a DIY.

Oh and the stock 6cd changer of 2007 civic Indeed Read Mp3 discs infact I have an Mp3 disc in my civic right now and its reading perfectly fine.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 30th April 2012 at 01:00.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 15:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Please refer to my post 3014 of the above given thread i have explained in detail about the Headlight upgrade I did...

Oh and the stock 6cd changer of 2007 civic Indeed Read Mp3 discs infact I have an Mp3 disc in my civic right now and its reading perfectly fine.
Thanks Jatin, will definitely use your post as a reference when upgrading the bulbs. Just one thing - you mentioned that you had to make small adjustments to the high beam bulbs while fitting them into the low beam slots. What kind of adjustments?

And great news about the mp3 capabilities, thanks! Need to test that out asap
Old 30th April 2012, 19:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

When is the civic getting ICE'D with the mind blowing equipment you have?
Old 30th April 2012, 20:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jatin, will definitely use your post as a reference when upgrading the bulbs. Just one thing - you mentioned that you had to make small adjustments to the high beam bulbs while fitting them into the low beam slots. What kind of adjustments?

And great news about the mp3 capabilities, thanks! Need to test that out asap

The high beam bulbs and low beam bulbs have little bit of difference in the 3 plastic tabs which are on the circumference of the bulb the one of the 3tabs have to be sanded little bit just to fit them inside once done it fixes inside the light cluster snugly and without any leakage or anything.
jatinpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 19:04   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Your new car looks great, specially after the paint job. Sure, even after six years from launch, the car still looks futuristic and timeless.

Thought to add a few points which are being discussed.

The HU with 6 CD changer does support mp3s.

Regarding headlights, I have changed the stock Sylvanias to Silverstar Ultras. Since wattage was same, the replacement was plug and play. It has made a big difference in illumination.

Plastic coating coming off from interior parts is a very common phenomenon in older Civics.The gear knobs, power window casing and the logo lose their original coating regardless of climate of the city. However your subsequent paint job has been great.

Regarding ICEing, Civics tend to show alternator whine. If you are planning a major overhaul and manage solve this issue, do let us know how.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks dot. You and the other Civic owners have been inspirations for sure. Great ownership threads - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Regarding ICE - honestly speaking, the Civic's ICE is among the nicest sounding stock systems I've heard (south of the 20L mark). This car's HU is actually just about a year old - the previous owner had some issues with his original CD changer and got the HU replaced with a brand new one. So I'm not going to touch it for sure. I do have the full setup from my previous cars (Lancer/ Elantra: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1409687), but I'm going to wait a while before sticking that in. Thinking of just getting the doors and door pads damped... there is a slight vibration from the pads while playing music at some frequencies.

Regarding the headlight upgrade - I remember upgrading the stock bulbs in my Lancer to Philips Xtreme Power. While it was definitely better than stock, the illumination really went to another level when I fitted 90/100W bulbs. Unfortunately the bulbs in the Civic aren't the convenient H4 types! How much did the Silverstars cost you?

Last edited by razor4077 : 2nd May 2012 at 11:15.
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations razor. The Civic is a great car to get pre-owned, more so at present owing to the steep fall in pre-owned petrol cars in the market making it terrific VFM. Post the painting of bumpers and refurbishing of interiors, your car looks fabulous. Enjoy the refreshingly awesome looks, free-revving engine, supremely comfortable rear seats and sporty handling to the max and keep us posted on the ownership experience.
Quote:
Paint/chrome peeling off - Honda logo on steering, gear knob and driver power window panel. Need to get these repainted.
That's a regular problem on e-v-e-r-y Civic I have seen including mine. But, as some others have commented, repainting of the interior plastics will bring a big transformation in the look and feel of the car. Your car stands testimony to that. The interior looks completely fresh and new.
Quote:
- fog lamps fitted
- HSRP replicas have been ordered (the IND ones); should be here shortly
If you don't mind, can you please share the price of fog-lamps? Though I wanted to get it fitted in my Civic, Honda's very high sticker price (app. 18,000 INR IIRC) is keeping me away.

When you say HSRP replica, is it the normal IND number plates that is commonly seen?
Quote:
Some pics that I took after getting the car back. The exterior shots are in poor light with a cell phone, so excuse the quality. Will post nicer pics soon.
As I have mentioned in every Civic ownership thread, we never get bored looking at a car as beautifully designed like this. Your ride looks fabulous.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks arvi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
If you don't mind, can you please share the price of fog-lamps? Though I wanted to get it fitted in my Civic, Honda's very high sticker price (app. 18,000 INR IIRC) is keeping me away.

When you say HSRP replica, is it the normal IND number plates that is commonly seen?
Will get back on the fog lamp prices. Will need to check the bill... but it was much less than the outrageous Honda price. 18k??!!

Regd. the plates, the ones I have ordered look like the normal IND plates issued by the RTO, sans the security features. So, no hologram, normal screws instead of rivets etc. Most local accessory stores can arrange these. Will put up pics when I get the plates fitted.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:59   #28
BANNED

@razor4077; I think WB is going official HSRP way, and you may be in for a change soon.

As for fogs I am sure your parts dealer will be able to get the OE fogs for at least 20% less. The OE fogs look and fit much better.

One suggestion / idea put 2700K HIDs in the fogs. No legal hassles, and much better fog/ mist /rain penetration. Make sure you get a good brand of the lamps as well as the ballasts (AC only).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@razor4077; I think WB is going official HSRP way, and you may be in for a change soon.
All new cars now get HSRPs. Will take a while to roll this out to the older vehicles. There's time...

Quote:
As for fogs I am sure your parts dealer will be able to get the OE fogs for at least 20% less. The OE fogs look and fit much better.
I already have got the OE fogs fitted outside Honda. These did cost much less, but I need to verify exactly how much.
Quote:
One suggestion / idea put 2700K HIDs in the fogs. No legal hassles, and much better fog/ mist /rain penetration. Make sure you get a good brand of the lamps as well as the ballasts (AC only).
Already installed the lamps, not keen on changing these. Light upgrades will happen in the way of better headlights.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:49   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Already installed the lamps, not keen on changing these. Light upgrades will happen in the way of better headlights.
Even the 90/100W are illegal, as are HIDs in the main or dip beams. Only the fogs allow you to play. This is what I am envisaging, after the warranty is over in the end of this month. I am busy till end of July so may take it up then. Importing from the US is not on due to the shipment costs. Best suggestion so far is to go for second hand ballasts (preferably 50W) from HID cars, and then add the lamps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks