Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 08:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai I20: Comprehensive Review

Awesome review Sid. Thanks for the same Rated the thread 5*s.

As posted above, rear seat pictures have been missed out. If possible, please add the same. Also, I suppose there is no head rest (as previous model) for the middle occupant. Also, missing out on the real-time fuel consumption details is a sore point by Hyundai on their premium hatch.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 18th April 2012 at 09:06.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review, Sid.

That features list is very tempting indeed. Reverse camera, reverse sensor, all wheel discs, Bluetooth, true keyless entry. Wow! My 2012 Punto 90 HP feels Spartan in features comparison!

But, after reading through your comments on the drive and suspension, I'm happy I didn't wait for this one. The way the previous i20 drove was not inspiring at all, and sad to see that things haven't really changed.

Anyways, nice job from Hyundai. May be disappointing for enthusiasts, but for the masses- it will remain the best hatchback to aspire for.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2012 at 09:01.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comprehensive review !

I am not a fan of the new looks, I prefer the older looks of i20.

i20 may not be the car to please the enthusiasts, but IHMO it is a great all-rounder.

Just one clarification - are the rear disk brakes and 6-speed gear box standard on all diesel variants ?

Rohan
Old 18th April 2012, 15:55   #19
BHPian

Excellent review Sid - I am extremely close to finalizing my decision to buy the i20 2012 Sportz Auto. In 2012, the Auto is no longer available in the Asta version (INR 9,20,319/- on road Mumbai, individual registration) and is now available only in Sportz version (INR 9,09,829 on road Mumbai, individual registration).

While I would have loved to pick up the Asta Auto (old) somehow I couldnt close the decision and am now faced with this situation. I am OK with Sportz but for the benefit of others who only want to buy an i20 Auto (not many around) I can list what you are exactly missing out on:-

What does an Asta (manual only now) have that Sportz (Auto and manual both) does not have:-

1. Passeger Airbag - who cares
2. Smartkey with Button Start - Have that on my Bimmer - nothing new
3. Auto Light control - Irritant more than convinient
4. Rear Spolier with Light - Okay, that would look nice
5. Chrome outside door handles - Not a great accessory when you are choosing the white one.
6. Supervision Cluster - Nothing jazzy about it - can live without one
7. Driver seat arm rest - Must have - am so used to it
8. Height Adjustable Driver seat - Gods done that already - am 6'1 so dont really need this feature - Wife would love it but she is OK with the normal seating height too
9. Rear wiper/washer - No big deal

The Asta is now available (manual only) at INR 7,38,344 (v/s earlier price of INR 7,16,197) - So I am basically paying INR 1.7 lacs more for the Sportz Auto which is technically a variant notch below the top end with only the front arm rest feature which would be sorely missed.

Nevertheless, I am just too keen on the Auto Hatch for my wife (other options being an i10 and some Maruti model) and i20 fits the bill perfectly.

My only issue is that I am not able to TD the auto i20 even once (not available any showroom) and am unable to locate one in friends and family. Is there any t-bhpian here in Mumbai (I travel from Andheri W Lokhandwala to Nariman Point five days a week) who has an i20 Auto can be kind enough to offer a TD

Also, has anybody already booked the new i20 Sportz Auto or modified their Jan/Feb bookings to the new one, please let me know

Other questions: If I do end up buying one, does it make sense to change the Apollo Accelere to any other 15" tyres - please suggest

Note from Support - Smiley usage restricted to two per post only. Please read through the rules in the Announcements section.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th April 2012 at 12:57.
contangoback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 16:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

contangoback

You missed on one more difference (that is the reason for such humongous difference between the Asta price and Sportz AT price). The Sportz AT comes with a bigger 1.4L engine.

9L+ for an i20! My God. It surely is expensive.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't look that good. It looks tapered down in the front and back and looks very meek. Also, with the fluidic design, the fluid seems to be bubbling out from all lights. It looks overdone in my opinion.
Old 18th April 2012, 18:15   #22

Thanks for the Comprehensive review Sid. I have rated it 5 Stars.

IMHO the old look was better. The new design would have worked great if they had ironed out the way the old and fluidic(new) design were merged.

Also if the steering rattle eliminated and AC performance is bettered they have done a great job with all the bells and whistled they added.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Just one clarification - are the rear disk brakes and 6-speed gear box standard on all diesel variants ?

Rohan
Rear disc brakes are standard only on CRDI-sportz and asta models and sportz 1.4 AT petrol model. six-speed manual gearbox=standard on ALL CRDI models only.
Old 19th April 2012, 14:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great Review, Bad upgrade.

The i20 had enough "toys" already. If I was in Hyundai's shoes, I would have done the following:

1) Make the A/C Best in class. Increase compressor size, Blower motor rating, Additional vents, whatever.

2) Sort out the handling. It isnt bad, but it could do with a LOT of improvement. My i20 CRDi engine is a powerhouse, and is a load of fun in a straight line but I always see my leg inching towards the brake pedal in corners.

3) CRDi drivability: Dont get me wrong, its a great engine, to drive fast / hard. Driving in City actually is irritating. I realized this more after I bought my Sunny Diesel with the K9 Engine
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Heck! Why does it come with 14" wheels even in top end variants?
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 19:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Great Review, Bad upgrade.

The i20 had enough "toys" already. If I was in Hyundai's shoes, I would have done the following:

1) Make the A/C Best in class. Increase compressor size, Blower motor rating, Additional vents, whatever.

2) Sort out the handling. It isnt bad, but it could do with a LOT of improvement. My i20 CRDi engine is a powerhouse, and is a load of fun in a straight line but I always see my leg inching towards the brake pedal in corners.

3) CRDi drivability: Dont get me wrong, its a great engine, to drive fast / hard. Driving in City actually is irritating. I realized this more after I bought my Sunny Diesel with the K9 Engine
Couldn't agree more with you AbhiJ.

I have not sat long enough in an I20 Petrol to comment about its AC issue but I have heard from Kimified(Sanjay) who owns a CRDI that AC works just fine and defenitely not as bad as few reports. I don't know if this is the case with all the CRDI's.

Regarding the "Goodies", Hyundai should have concentrated more on Chassis and Dynamics.

But then again, I guess every 8/10 Hyundai Buyers pefer Gizmos n Gimmicks over Great Dynamics!!
Old 19th April 2012, 20:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have heard from Kimified(Sanjay) who owns a CRDI that AC works just fine and defenitely not as bad as few reports. I don't know if this is the case with all the CRDI's.
i20 owners who drive / sit in the front seat will never have a problem with the A/C. Its fine for the front seats. It took me almost a year of ownership to realize the issue, because I primarily occupied either of the front seats.

The problem has always been for the rear occupants.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
i20 owners who drive / sit in the front seat will never have a problem with the A/C. Its fine for the front seats. It took me almost a year of ownership to realize the issue, because I primarily occupied either of the front seats.

The problem has always been for the rear occupants.
My mom and wife did complain a couple of times when at the back. The problem is with the air vents which do not direct the air properly and their adjustment is limited. The AC is definitely not a chiller but its not that bad either. The best design I have seen is the fiesta's. You can direct the air in any direction you want. And yes, having a sunfilm on the windshield helps.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:33   #29
BHPian

This is one amazing thread. You have really worked very hard on this one and it is pretty Evident. I own the Old i20 model the CRDi Asta. Its has been giving me an amazing response till date. (Touch Wood!!) The new one, being packed with features shows the company's commitment in delivering a good product in India.

As far as the AC is concerned after I have got the filming done the AC performance has improved a lot. It doesn't take a lot of time to get cooled unlike how it was before. Though I'm sure the rear seats have to wait for sometime till the whole cabin gets chilled.

Last edited by arrowaby : 21st April 2012 at 01:36.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:58   #30
BHPian

Hey Sid, good work on the review. I think I should have gotten this instead of my Swift ZDi. Nevertheless, I love mine
You missed out on covering the rear seat. It was too upright in the previous version. Kindly help with the leg space, head room etc.

Thanks

Most Viewed