Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 15:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dark KnightŠ comes home - Story of my Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus

Congrats on the wonderful choice!!!
Welcome to the club.
In your OP you've contradicted yourself by not taking TD of Fiesta.
Half of April is gone but no updates on Punto 90HP and Linea T-Jet from Fiat. Really feels sad by the sales figures of Fiats. Can't say how much Tata "contributes" to that low figures.
Enjoy your drive to the fullest and keep posting nice experiences one after other.
Another BHPian Sivasankar has also managed to get 2lac discount on T-Jet (hip hop black), so I am sure you would've also managed nice deal.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Congrats on the wonderful choice!!!
Welcome to the club.
In your OP you've contradicted yourself by not taking TD of Fiesta.
Half of April is gone but no updates on Punto 90HP and Linea T-Jet from Fiat. Really feels sad by the sales figures of Fiats. Can't say how much Tata "contributes" to that low figures.
Enjoy your drive to the fullest and keep posting nice experiences one after other.
Another BHPian Sivasankar has also managed to get 2lac discount on T-Jet (hip hop black), so I am sure you would've also managed nice deal.
Thanks, but I didn't get your point about the contradiction. I had decided to TD only those cars which I would shortlist. And like I said earlier, sadly the Fiesta did not even make it to the long-list. Having said that, I still maintain that it is the only other car for which I've only heard good stories about the drive and handling.
and in my case Fiesta was not in the list.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. I enjoyed reading your review and how you went about your car selection. Some aspects surprise me and some are known. Will get to details in another reply.

I am amazed at times at how Fiat managed to get this car so perfect in terms of the package on offer in India. For the money, it is just amazing and in my opinion, the best drivers car in its segment by a long shot.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Thanks, but I didn't get your point about the contradiction. I had decided to TD only those cars which I would shortlist. And like I said earlier, sadly the Fiesta did not even make it to the long-list.
Yes, that's my point.
As you have mentioned VW was very much liked by you until the TD. Same with Fiesta. But as it was not included in your list, you should've TDed it so as to re-strengthen your theory that "thoughroughly TD the car" and then rejected it.
Anyway I am still sure T-Jet can outscore any car on all the parameters but for pathetic Tata A$$.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Beautiful. I enjoyed reading your review and how you went about your car selection. Some aspects surprise me and some are known. Will get to details in another reply.

I am amazed at times at how Fiat managed to get this car so perfect in terms of the package on offer in India. For the money, it is just amazing and in my opinion, the best drivers car in its segment by a long shot.
Thanks for your appreciation Sandeep. I'm curious to know the aspects which surprised you. Please share.
Quote:
Yes, that's my point.
As you have mentioned VW was very much liked by you until the TD. Same with Fiesta. But as it was not included in your list, you should've TDed it so as to re-strengthen your theory that "thoughroughly TD the car" and then rejected it.
Anyway I am still sure T-Jet can outscore any car on all the parameters but for pathetic Tata A$$.
No no no. Looks like you've misunderstood me. Let me re-phrase.

VW Vento was liked by me solely based on it's understated looks, and my dad's experience of owning various VW cars in Germany. But the TD was so pathetic that I chucked it out of the shortlist.

Fiesta was never in my list because:
a) I did not like it's old school looks
b) My better half doesn't approve of American cars (someone in her family had a pretty bad ownership experience with Ikon earlier)

So I did not even drive it. Had I even remotely liked it from any angle, I would have surely gone for an equally thorough TD.

My comment on it's handling capabilities is based on what I have read and heard but from an overall ownership perspective, I was never too inclined towards Ford. Just like I'm personally averse to Skoda and hence did not even look at Rapid. Or SX4 for that matter.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No no no. Looks like you've misunderstood me. Let me re-phrase.
Fiesta was never in my list because:
a) I did not like it's old school looks
Yes, I surely misunderstood you.
It seems you didn't like the Fiesta Classic (if I am correct) and I was thinking about All New Fiesta.
But having owned Fusion (Petrol) which is having the same engine as Fiesta classic, all I can say is that as far as handling, power and steering feedback is concerned, it is at par with T-Jet or even better atleast wrt power.
But if you take into account the looks, the Linea has the looks to die for, no other car comes even close in that regard.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 16:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I surely misunderstood you.
It seems you didn't like the Fiesta Classic (if I am correct) and I was thinking about All New Fiesta.
But having owned Fusion (Petrol) which is having the same engine as Fiesta classic, all I can say is that as far as handling, power and steering feedback is concerned, it is at par with T-Jet or even better atleast wrt power.
But if you take into account the looks, the Linea has the looks to die for, no other car comes even close in that regard.
Yes I absolutely detest the New Fiesta.

Also, a slight correction here wrt to your statement (in bold). AFAIK, Fusion Petrol was specc'ed at 101 PS @ 6500 RPM with a torque of 147.5 NM @ 3400 RPM. That is way lower than T-Jet's specs of 114 PS @ 5500 RPM and torque of 207 Nm @ 2200 RPM.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I absolutely detest the New Fiesta.

Also, a slight correction here wrt to your statement (in bold). AFAIK, Fusion Petrol was specc'ed at 101 PS @ 6500 RPM with a torque of 147.5 NM @ 3400 RPM. That is way lower than T-Jet's specs of 114 PS @ 5500 RPM and torque of 207 Nm @ 2200 RPM.
Yes if one go by numbers T-Jet seems faster or quicker, but after driving both the cars one after other, I felt the Fusion to be more quicker (due to no turbo lag) and responsive. But as my T-Jet has completed only 850kms so far against 40000 odd kms of Fusion (the engine is at the most ideal performance levels), that may be the reason. But yes, the thrust of power after 1700 RPM and while in 3rd gear is just awesome in the T-Jet.
The other vehicles behind you just feel stationary in the RVM.

Last edited by carwatcher : 17th April 2012 at 16:33.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the car was a great drive, I realized some of it's handling and braking inabilities on a long road trip. And Hyundai's
The Getz is probably Hyundai's best hatchback before the i20 came along. It was a premium offering quite early and the market did not respond very well to it. I have driven one and though it is no drivers car in any sense, I loved the refinement of the engine and it was easy to drive.

Quote:
But then, highways are also more fun in a petrol than a diesel!
I am not sure if this applies anymore. The diesel in the Skoda Rapid is seriously quick. I am not a diesel fan myself but may consider one later as the technology has improved a lot.

Quote:
Hyundai asked me “why I wish to TD such a hot selling car when people are booking it based on its looks alone"
Unbelievable. Surprised to read about this attitude from Hyundai.

Quote:
The TD car had around 20,000 kms on the clock and was making more noises than a baby's rattle.
Surprised to read this. VW is a car that holds well even after a lot of abuse. I recently assisted someone to do the PDI for his T Jet and the trip to the stock yard was a long one in a Punto Diesel that had clocked just 9000km. When the car arrived to pick me up, I asked the dealer gentleman if he would mind if I take the wheel for the drive and he was alright with it. The car was a bare bones variant. The engine in that car was thrumming more than being refined. I guess it was abused so much. The car was thrashed and my guess is the VW you test drove was probably worse. I am sure you would have liked the Vento had the car been in good shape. Too bad for VW but then, you really did buy something way better.

Quote:
Sadly, the Fiesta did not make it to the long-list.
This is one car you would have loved when it comes to driving it but that's where it ends. I took a good look at this car and the only thing I liked about it was the driving position which is way better than the T Jet. Everything else looks cheap and out of place for such an expensive car. It is not very roomy too. Not that the T Jet is but the Fiat is better by a long shot in every aspect. I don't know what happened to Ford. I used to own a Ikon and though it turned out really expensive to fix, I found the quality of materials better than the New Fiesta. Oh and mine was a 12 years old car and the plastics, after so many years had no hint of fade.

Quote:
However, I had also heard my girl praise the safety, handling and drive of her (ex) Palio many times.
This is a rare breed, your lady. Few women like driving Fiats as they just don't turn. The Palio is a fantastic car. Have driven it extensively.

Quote:
But once we entered and saw a Linea T-Jet we were blown away.
I was blown away as well but the steps of being blown away were a little different with looks coming out last. My plan was to buy a Fiesta Classic petrol. One day, a Fiat nut head in my office calls for the T Jet test drive, not for himself, but for two other colleagues and one was me. I wet my pants when I mashed that throttle. I drove the car hard and fast and was going gaaga. I did not bother to inspect the interiors or anything. That was it. Went back home in the evening and spoke to my wife about it and she was over joyed. It was the car she always wanted us to have but it was something we could not afford. The Fiesta itself was pushing our budgets but I told her we will manage and she agreed. It is only after the many visits that I made to the dealers, did I start appreciating the car and its beauty more. It had presence and it looked beautiful. The interiors felt upmarket to me than any other car in its segment. The car stood out at the showroom floor. No car has the smooth flowing lines of the Linea.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:30   #25
BHPian

Congrats for your priceless possession. Every time you drive it, it will surely bring a million smiles. One of the best cars this side of 15 lakhs that defines what driving dynamics truly mean.

Even drivers who generally drive sedate, get addicted to the stability of the car and you can see the speedo slowly creep to the greater sides of triple digit speeds and I believe you have already fallen prey. Admire the beauty and unleash the beast within.

Happy Motoring with your FIAT.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So no cost cutting there!
The only cost cutting is with the plastics and rubber parts that tend to age fast but not break.

Quote:
Fiat needs to improvise the design of the arm rest as it interferes with the gear changing and also it starts creaking/rattling after a few months.
Never really faced a problem with this. Gear shifting is a problem when it is in place. I use it only when I am out on the highway as gear shifts are at minimum.

Quote:
Rubbery gear shift : as if the plain jane gear knob was not enough, they gave a clunky shift as well! Not suited to a nice drive like this.
I got used to this and now enjoy using the gearbox.

Quote:
OEM stereo and speakers are pathetic. However, that’s not much of a concern as I have already upgraded to aftermarket ICE.
Could you elaborate more about this. I too would like to switch but not the head unit. A speaker upgrade to start should do. What is a good speaker only upgrade? Something that pairs well with the head unit will be nice.

Quote:
Flap type and chrome finished door handles. This car definitely deserves ‘pull type’ body colored door handles.
I prefer the existing door handles. They maybe old school but go well with the overall design of the car. The side profile won't look as good with the pull handles. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Power window switches are quite far set out. It takes quite a lot of time to get accustomed to them
Just stretch your arm fully and you can access them easily. I did drop down the rear windows by accident a couple of times. Not anymore.

Quote:
Turning radius is huge and I frequently find myself troubled to take short u-turns in Mumbai.
This is a serious problem. The solution is to take all your u turns as wide as you can. This car is a nightmare in Bangalore as we don't have any road that are wide enough.

Quote:
Idling sound on the outside is huge. I sometimes got scared hearing the fan if I roll down the windows!
That is not the idling of the engine. It is the cooling fan which is running mostly when the air conditioning is running. The fan has a higher speed too and activates when the air conditioning or the engine needs better heat exchange and that sounds like a turbine. You can feel the buzz of the fan on the steering wheel too when it spins up to maximum rpm.

Quote:
There is a major blind spot in the A-pillar and I still have not gotten used to it.
Be very careful. I got used to it but I still look out. You won't catch those low height road dividers and may end up climbing them if you are not careful. More so is when a two wheeler comes in your way from nowhere.

Quote:
3M sunfilm (CS50 for sides and rear and CR70 for the front windscreen)
How effective is this combination on this car? I ask as the front windscreen area is too large and lets in a lot of light causing heat build up.

Quote:
Rear parking sensors (offered free by the dealer. However I was duped here as I was told it will be Fiat authorised accessory, which is Autocop, but actually installed some Chinese brand.
I got ripped off too but thankfully, it works well and I use it a lot.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if this applies anymore. The diesel in the Skoda Rapid is seriously quick. I am not a diesel fan myself but may consider one later as the technology has improved a lot.
My comment was based on my first and only diesel car (Indica V2). I know diesels have improved a lot in recent times, but I just cant stand the clatter. I have not driven any modern gen diesel sedans and what you say about the Rapid may be true. But then, Skoda A.S.S has much more horror to it than Fiat!

Quote:
Surprised to read this. VW is a car that holds well even after a lot of abuse. I recently assisted someone to do the PDI for his T Jet and the trip to the stock yard was a long one in a Punto Diesel that had clocked just 9000km. When the car arrived to pick me up, I asked the dealer gentleman if he would mind if I take the wheel for the drive and he was alright with it. The car was a bare bones variant. The engine in that car was thrumming more than being refined. I guess it was abused so much. The car was thrashed and my guess is the VW you test drove was probably worse. I am sure you would have liked the Vento had the car been in good shape. Too bad for VW but then, you really did buy something way better.
Even if it was not for the rattles at 20k kms, the drive was not inspiring or spirited. It was very plain jane, much like the looks of the Vento. And mind you, I still had not driven the T-Jet so I did not know what a turbo charged engine feels like. My benchmark till then was my easy to drive Getz and Vento did not offer any great shakes over that. I had an aspiring rally driver friend with me and he too was highly disappointed with the sluggishness and breathlessness of the Vento.

Quote:
This is a rare breed, your lady. Few women like driving Fiats as they just don't turn. The Palio is a fantastic car. Have driven it extensively.
She is responsible for making me a Fiat fanboy. She has told me so many stories of the Palio that it got me curious.

Quote:
I was blown away as well but the steps of being blown away were a little different with looks coming out last. My plan was to buy a Fiesta Classic petrol. One day, a Fiat nut head in my office calls for the T Jet test drive, not for himself, but for two other colleagues and one was me. I wet my pants when I mashed that throttle. I drove the car hard and fast and was going gaaga. I did not bother to inspect the interiors or anything. That was it. Went back home in the evening and spoke to my wife about it and she was over joyed. It was the car she always wanted us to have but it was something we could not afford. The Fiesta itself was pushing our budgets but I told her we will manage and she agreed. It is only after the many visits that I made to the dealers, did I start appreciating the car and its beauty more. It had presence and it looked beautiful. The interiors felt upmarket to me than any other car in its segment. The car stood out at the showroom floor. No car has the smooth flowing lines of the Linea.
We have pretty similar stories. I had checked out T-Jet when it was launched in Oct 2010. My better half was keen to book it right away! But it was too expensive for me then (at Rs 10.6L on road). I still remember how we drove back home and both of us just had the T-Jet on our mind during the 45-minute journey. Thankfully, with the recent stock-clearing offers, Fiat made T-Jet an irresistible deal and I jumped at it.

Sir, by partially quoting me in these two instances, you actually mis-quoted me!
Quote:
The only cost cutting is with the plastics and rubber parts that tend to age fast but not break.
My reference was to the spare wheel ALSO being a full sized alloy. That's a rare occurance in most sedans sold here.
Quote:
Never really faced a problem with this. Gear shifting is a problem when it is in place. I use it only when I am out on the highway as gear shifts are at minimum.
Like I said, the arm rest is usually a hindrance during city drives (esp. for first time users) as it somehow restricts quick gear shifts. However, it is extremely useful for highway cruising. I still feel Fiat needs to improvise the design of the arm rest to prevent creaking/rattling after a few months.

Quote:
Could you elaborate more about this. I too would like to switch but not the head unit. A speaker upgrade to start should do. What is a good speaker only upgrade? Something that pairs well with the head unit will be nice.
To enjoy good sound, your OEM headunit HAS to go. However, if you are absolutely certain to retain it, you have to at least add amplifier(s) to extract clean power. A good upgrade would be to go for component speakers in front with coaxials in the rear doors and a sub in the boot. The component and sub can be powered off a 4-channel amplifier, while coaxials can be connected to the HU.

There are a plethora of options for speakers and it really depends on your budget.

Quote:
Just stretch your arm fully and you can access them easily. I did drop down the rear windows by accident a couple of times. Not anymore.
I'm slowly getting used to it. But even after 6 months, I'm required to look at the switches. In my Getz, it was more of a natural reflex action.

Quote:
That is not the idling of the engine. It is the cooling fan which is running mostly when the air conditioning is running. The fan has a higher speed too and activates when the air conditioning or the engine needs better heat exchange and that sounds like a turbine. You can feel the buzz of the fan on the steering wheel too when it spins up to maximum rpm.
Yes, I stand corrected there. It is the sound of a fan which can give a ship's turbine a run for it's money. Or maybe Fiat wants to extend the concept of a Jet propeller here too?

Quote:
Be very careful. I got used to it but I still look out. You won't catch those low height road dividers and may end up climbing them if you are not careful. More so is when a two wheeler comes in your way from nowhere.
The blind spot is a major PITA. And like you rightly said, a trouble when cyclists/two wheelers magically appear out of nowhere, especially on a turn.

Quote:
How effective is this combination on this car? I ask as the front windscreen area is too large and lets in a lot of light causing heat build up.
Highly effective in Mumbai/Maharashtra summer touching 40 deg these days. CR70 is a great film at that price point and cuts out the UV and heat factor to a very high extent. In fact I dont feel anything on my hands/legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats on the Black Beauty ( sorry Dark Knight , now that name's getting a tad over-used ) , Nishant ! Suddenly it's raining T-Jets on Team BHP !
Thanks Ricci! Frankly, I contemplated naming it 'Black Beauty' or 'Beauty in a LBD' but somehow given the raw power of this car, a feminine connotation did not seem justified. Hence I went with TDK.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th April 2012 at 23:07.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:03   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the Black Beauty ( sorry Dark Knight , now that name's getting a tad over-used ) , Nishant ! Suddenly it's raining T-Jets on Team BHP !
Old 18th April 2012, 17:13   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase. Happy and safe drive.

Quote:
Highly effective in Mumbai/Maharashtra summer touching 40 deg these days. CR70 is a great film at that price point and cuts out the UV and heat factor to a very high extent. In fact I dont feel anything on my hands/legs.
How about the night time visibility of this film.

I am planning for MY LINEA 2012 somewhere by May/ June this year and am collecting as much details of the accessories that should be considered. One thing that I hear most is ICE upgrade and I only plan to upgrade speakers and might consider a Sub depending on the budget constraints. So request you to update this thread with the upgradations you do.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. Happy and safe drive.

How about the night time visibility of this film.

I am planning for MY LINEA 2012 somewhere by May/ June this year and am collecting as much details of the accessories that should be considered. One thing that I hear most is ICE upgrade and I only plan to upgrade speakers and might consider a Sub depending on the budget constraints. So request you to update this thread with the upgradations you do.
Thanks Jakku. The night time visibility is as good as it can be. CR70 is a transparent film so it wont hinder your vision.

Regarding ICE upgrade, may I direct you to my dedicated ICE thread here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ice-story.html
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks