Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Excellent test drive report(s). Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
6. 1.6L hatchbacks - Petrol bills. Enough said.
Even then, it may be worth checking out the Polo 1.6. I guess the FE figures are almost identical with the 3-pot sibling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
1. 90% of my car's life will be spent in conditions like shown the pic below
With the said traffic conditions, it may be worth to consider which car has the most pleasing interiors, and make you feel like spending time inside – which maybe the case, even if its not by choice – due to the traffic conditions

My pick here will be the Jazz, followed by Polo 1.6 / Punto 1.4

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd April 2012 at 16:33. Reason: Additional comments added
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:26   #17
BHPian

Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

@ theragingbull: Consider the pricing and all the plastics and dashboard design would rest in peace. What figo delivers is an overall package @ an affordable price. Its average in all departments. Today a hatch buyer can't ignore the presence of it because it ticks in every box. I agree the looks are jaded, but its practical and comfortable. Swift almost offers half of the boot space and the loading sill is too high to load/unload. Add the weak breaks in l&v variants and skinny tyres. Its Maruti, Its swift so it is bound to sell.

I believe the ritz is far more practical in L & V variants.

If one goes for the Swift ZXI, Jazz makes more sense here. Better space/ Honda badge/ Better Refinement levels and so on!

Polo with gruff 3 pot engine and premium pricing doesn't ring the bell. If one goes for the looks, why avoid the PUNTO?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 22nd April 2012 at 16:28.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 21:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Back to the TD; Get a TD of the fiesta Classic.
Will surely report TD of Fiesta Classic when I get time. However you might want to consider cost of spare parts since it is an older Ford. Don't expect it to be as cheap to maintain as Figo unless owners of Classic report otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Are you serious about the new Maruti 800? Earlier you said you left the entry segment cars like A star, i10 etc.
Haha, there's no harm in trying unusual cars. For example, Tata Nano looks seriously good. I would mind paying 4 lac for i10/A-Star considering that I paid only 3.9 lac for my Figo but paying 2 lac for Nano is not bad idea. But I'm wary of Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
In my opinion, the Figo petrol actually should be at the bottom 3. The Jazz and Swift 1.2 are far more fun to drive.
Yet I would pick Figo over Jazz and Swift for fun factor. Others have different set of parameters for fun factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The Polo 1.2 is a great package. The interiors exude quality which none of the hatchbacks offer. Handles and rides like a proper German. And IMO, it is the best looker.
If VW brings in 4 cylinders in 1.2L engine and fixes the hump at rear then Polo can beat the entire premium hatchback competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even then, it may be worth checking out the Polo 1.6. I guess the FE figures are almost identical with the 3-pot sibling.
Yup, FE should be identical. I should do TD of Polo 1.6L vs Fiesta Classic CLXi with ABS considering that they are similarly priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
With the said traffic conditions, it may be worth to consider which car has the most pleasing interiors, and make you feel like spending time inside.
Excellent point to consider
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:52   #19
BHPian

A very detailed and fun to read comparison Devilscry. Really liked it with all those statistics which made the post even more interesting.

But have a few points of my own regarding the cars compared -

1. The Figo IMO, does not at all have the looks of a fast hatch and the interior quality is nowhere comparable to Polo/i20/Brio/Jazz. Somehow agree with theragingbull’s comments above.

2. As far as hatchback petrol engines are concerned, Swift’s 1.2L K-series, Honda’s 1.2L i-VTEC and Hyundai’s 1.2L Kappa are the benchmark of refined and powerful petrol engines. Figo does not come in their league.

3. Surprised to know that you did not like the Swift's engine and handling much. I loved it's free revving k-series engine in my test drives and felt it was a pretty good handler.

4. The Hyundai i-20 felt sluggish when I drove it as the 1.2L Kappa engine (which fits perfectly in the i10) could not take the load of the heavy car. To me it was not a driver's car.

5. Surprised to know that Polo's low speed ride quality is poor. I felt that the German car's ride quality was awesome (at any speed) and is comparable to a sedan as it absorbs potholes and broken roads with ease.
rony180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Will surely report TD of Fiesta Classic when I get time. However you might want to consider cost of spare parts since it is an older Ford. Don't expect it to be as cheap to maintain as Figo unless owners of Classic report otherwise.
The fiesta classic is as cheap to maintain as a Figo. My fiesta tdci is cheaper to maintain than my i20 crdi.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony180 View Post
The Figo IMO, does not at all have the looks of a fast hatch and the interior quality is nowhere comparable to Polo/i20/Brio/Jazz.
Yup, interiors are built to cost. Sitting in Figo doesn't feel as premium as other premium hatchbacks. However Figo is 1 lac cheaper than competition. One can feel free to fit aftermarket seat covers and stuff to make it feel premium and look like a hot hatch. One example-

Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Punto-185551_2327266585736_1371818387_2804401_7752052_n.jpg

Quote:
Swift’s 1.2L K-series, Honda’s 1.2L i-VTEC and Hyundai’s 1.2L Kappa are the benchmark of refined and powerful petrol engines. Figo does not come in their league.
Quote:
The Hyundai i-20 felt sluggish when I drove it as the 1.2L Kappa engine (which fits perfectly in the i10) could not take the load of the heavy car.
So Kappa2 is one of most powerful engine and feels sluggish in a heavier car with only 2 people without AC?

My Figo, the heaviest car, had no problem climbing slopes with 7 people + 5 luggage bags with AC (most powerful in segment). This is called different state of tuning. 1.2L i-VTEC and K12 suit your requirements best. Figo and Liva's engine suit my requirements best.

Quote:
Surprised to know that you did not like the Swift's engine and handling much. I loved it's free revving k-series engine in my test drives and felt it was a pretty good handler.
I would have liked it if Swift delivered optimal performance at 1600 RPM instead of at 4000 RPM. Plus, I drove a VXi. You drove the ZXi. That explains the different experience (tyres and brakes).

Quote:
Surprised to know that Polo's low speed ride quality is poor. I felt that the German car's ride quality was awesome (at any speed) and is comparable to a sedan as it absorbs potholes and broken roads with ease.
Polo absorbs potholes best above speed of 40kph. Below 40kph, it hurts bad. It's just natural tuning of a stiff suspension. My Figo also hurts bad at low speed. Have you ever wondered why don't all companies give Polo-like suspension? Why Honda, Hyundai and Toyota have soft suspension?
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, interiors are built to cost. Sitting in Figo doesn't feel as premium as other premium hatchbacks. However Figo is 1 lac cheaper than competition. One can feel free to fit aftermarket seat covers and stuff to make it feel premium and look like a hot hatch. One example-
Wow...The modified Figo looks really cool!

Quote:
I would have liked it if Swift delivered optimal performance at 1600 RPM instead of at 4000 RPM. Plus, I drove a VXi. You drove the ZXi. That explains the different experience (tyres and brakes).
Agreed that the low end torque is less in the Swift, but i personally don't feel the need of more than that in the city. Going for more low end torque would lead to compromise in mileage as it would need a more powerful engine. A personal preference nonetheless.

Quote:
Polo absorbs potholes best above speed of 40kph. Below 40kph, it hurts bad. It's just natural tuning of a stiff suspension. My Figo also hurts bad at low speed. Have you ever wondered why don't all companies give Polo-like suspension? Why Honda, Hyundai and Toyota have soft suspension?
Hyundai's and Toyota's don't give Polo like suspensions because they can't make the car heavy and have to keep fuel efficiency in mind for the Asian markets. On the other hand, Polo, Fabia, being German dont care much about mileage since petrol in their countries is pretty cheap (e.g. 1 pound = 1l petrol in the UK). So they concentrate on the suspension and try making it comfortable in long drives at high speeds.

Your requirement for the hatch is quite particular and I think Jazz should fit your bill well, although the lack of low end torque will still be there!Anyways, do let us know when you finally decide on your new hatch. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your detailed review of the hatches from some new perspectives/angles.
rony180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 22:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
[b][i][u]¨[*]Most hatchbacks turned out to be disappointment in one area or another. Whichever cars looked best on papers turned out to be poorest performers.[*]One could blame on 1.2L engine restriction and insane petrol costs for poor performance and skinny tyres on most hatchbacks. After all they were de-tuned for the very purpose of saving on taxes and petrol bills. The era of petrol drinking, refined, silent and great cars is coming to an end if the Govt continues their skewed pricing. Each newer petrol car continues to be worse than an older petrol car. It would be no surprise if I end up buying a diesel car instead of a petrol one even if I had quite low running.[*]Worthy overall contenders are Ford Figo and Fiat Punto.[*]All the cars here are good to drive within city limits except for Suzuki Swift.[/list]
A very nice comparo indeed. Which car felt the most refined at idle & at high speed with least of engine, wind & tyre noise.

Figo for sure is real VFM. What is FE of your Figo under various conditions with AC.

Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 22:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
A very nice comparo indeed. Which car felt the most refined at idle & at high speed with least of engine, wind & tyre noise.

Figo for sure is real VFM. What is FE of your Figo under various conditions with AC.
Thank you
At idle, Swift and Jazz feels most refined. At high speed, Swift again is most refined at high speed, but not Jazz. The K12 engine is seriously awesome in refinement!

Not sure about wind noise. Regarding tyres, I really can't determine which is most silent. I think it is again Swift. In summary, when it comes to refinement under all conditions, Swift demolishes the competition.

My Figo's lowest mileage with AC has been 10kpl. On average, it is giving 11-12kpl with full AC in Delhi's red-lights infested slow traffic. Still don't know about mileage with AC on highways since I've been on highway in Figo only twice and I forgot to calculate mileage as I was too busy adoring the mountains
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
And I want only a premium hatchback.
Quote:
Yup, interiors are built to cost. Sitting in Figo doesn't feel as premium as other premium hatchbacks.
Then, aren't you defeating the purpose of your search by giving the No.1 rank for Figo.?
Sorry to say this, but the observations like Swift being a poor handler, poor engine, etc, etc are really hard to digest. Seems more like Swift bashing than a proper comparo.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Then, aren't you defeating the purpose of your search by giving the No.1 rank for Figo.?
Sorry to say this, but the observations like Swift being a poor handler, poor engine, etc, etc are really hard to digest. Seems more like Swift bashing than a proper comparo.
I'm comparing stock cars in city. After all, I can't fit wide tyres on TD cars. Stock Swift has really skinny tyres, making its handling appalling. Wider tyres and Swift's brilliant chassis would have made it comparable to Figo and Punto in handling.

You're perhaps used to the older K12 engine. Try the new K12 engine in jam-packed traffic. It's really annoying drive at low RPM. And it takes really long time to rev to higher RPM. I'm sorry if my thread looks like Swift bashing. I tried my best to be fair to all.

Figo is average in most areas but having no weakness, it scores above all other hatchbacks in total score.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I'm comparing stock cars in city. After all, I can't fit wide tyres on TD cars. Stock Swift has really skinny tyres, making its handling appalling. Wider tyres and Swift's brilliant chassis would have made it comparable to Figo and Punto in handling.
You mean official Test Drive car of dealer was not ZXi?
Asking because the dealerships here in Chennai always have the top end variant as TD cars, whether it's Maruti or Chevy or Tata or Ford.

Last edited by Daewood : 2nd July 2012 at 13:09.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You mean official Test Drive car of dealer was not ZXi?
Asking because the dealerships here in Chennai always have the top end variant as TD cars, whether it's Maruti or Chevy or Tata or Ford.
They also have only ZXi here as well. There was a long queue at the dealer for TD of Swift and I was running low on time. They gave me a VXi claiming that the car belongs to a person at the dealer and not to a customer. I can't disclose the name of the dealer here due to the request they made to me. Sorry.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
They also have only ZXi here as well. There was a long queue at the dealer for TD of Swift and I was running low on time. They gave me a VXi claiming that the car belongs to a person at the dealer and not to a customer.
Isn't that being unfair to the Swift?
Even the Punto 1.2 Dynamic you tested , has puny 165 wheels for that massive 1.1 tonner, but you claim it's handling was superior. Could it be because the laggard engine of the Punto didn't allow you to drive it in a spirited manner?
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that being unfair to the Swift?
Even the Punto 1.2 Dynamic you tested , has puny 165 wheels for that massive 1.1 tonner, but you claim it's handling was superior. Could it be because the laggard engine of the Punto didn't allow you to drive it in a spirited manner?
Perhaps. I tested simply by turning at a speed. Weaker engine hampers acceleration but not speed. Somehow Punto was confident in corners even with puny tyres. It's not surprising given that Figo is also superior handler even with puny tyres. Not sure why Swift was not as great at the same speeds. I expected it to be great. Brio was also another surprise. Seeing its shape and low stance, I expected it to be a terrific handler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks