Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 01:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: "WOLVERINE" My Volcano Black Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Congrats on your new set of wheels !!! It looks smashing on the streets.

But i feel grossly for the problems you have mentioned, so much for having paid truck load of money. I had one of the Mahindra vehicle. I sold it for 50% of the price within 4 months of buying it. It was a disaster.

i always did feel that these guys build vehicle to sell spares and extort labour charges. I always felt that mahindra made more money by way of selling spares and labour charges. Most of Mahindra vehicles come with inbuilt issues. No wonder, i see the service center overflowing with scorpios, so much that they would have parked the vehicle outside on the service road on hosur road.

if i was you, i wouldnt have accepted these problems you have mentioned whatsoever after paying up so much money. What do you intend to do about these issues ?

You never get your money worth from Mahindra. This was true in my case and also with one of my close friend.

All the best!!!
Have you ever thought why we have so many people in India walking on footpath/roads outside compared to a city in Texas, US!
It could be the same reason why you see so many scorpios in the workshop.
I agree, they may not be that good at the quality assurance etc. However, its good value for money and can go around couple lakhs kms if you maintain it well. Its easy to maintain in terms of the spares and availability of service center compared to any other brands, what else you want!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 21:45   #32
BHPian

ketan,

i dont wish this topic lead to a discussion to countries and their economies whatsoever.

i sincerely feel for our mate here with the issues he is facing. I mean i know the kind of mental disturbance one has to go through with all these issues, with a NEW CAR !!

This forum itself is s proof about the quality of the vehicles Mahindra offers. The no of pages discussing scorpios issues run to 190 pages and the the no of pages discussing XUV issues has already touched 19 pages !! what else can be miore wanting to prove the poor quality mahindra offers. Only guy has received his new XUV with rusted hinges !!!!

Lastly, i am an individual liking to have my money's worth, this is all i want !!
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:07   #33
BHPian

Hi Docap,

what kind of City and Highway mileage are you getting from the AWD?
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
ketan,

i sincerely feel for our mate here with the issues he is facing. I mean i know the kind of mental disturbance one has to go through with all these issues, with a NEW CAR !!
Lastly, i am an individual liking to have my money's worth, this is all i want !!
Thanks for the concern and you are right in saying that there should not be so many issues in a new vehicle but i am ok with these niggles as there is no other vehicle with so many features in this price range. If there was another option in this price range with all these features and no niggles i am sure lots of people would have gone for it instead of the XUV. I am sure most of the people buying XUV are not hardcore fans of M&M and main reason for them to buy the XUV is the price .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hi Docap,

what kind of City and Highway mileage are you getting from the AWD?
I have an average of 10.5 kpl after close to 4000 kms on the odo. This was calculated by tankful to tankful method. the car info display does not give accurate mileage. My guess is my AWD XUV gives 9 in the city and 11 to 12 on the highway( 2 lane highways with lots of traffic) I am sure mileage would be more for FWD XUVs and if driven on 4 lane expressways with cruise control.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:06   #35
BHPian

Congratulations Anand! The black looks very good specially with that chrome on the front grille.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 01:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Congratulations Anand! The black looks very good specially with that chrome on the front grille.
Thanks, but its a real pain maintaining a black colored car especially in a place like Mangalore which is very dusty with lots of mud on the roads during monsoon season. Just 5 minutes after washing the XUV a fine layer of dust will be visible even when the car is parked at home due to all the construction activity going on in Mangalore.
Old 4th June 2012, 00:04   #37
BHPian

Hey Dockap... congrats on you new car! a bit late in the day for that but nevertheless..

by the way you said that the car reaches 0-100 in 12.8 secs but I thought that the FWD variant took that time to 100. so the AWD should take a little more in comparison if I am not wrong due to the extra weight. so have you by any chance checked the 0-100 timing somehow?

also one Q about the AWD system. you said that it does engage automatically when required. then I don't understand the reason for the AWD lock switch if the computer can decide when its required and when not. also when in lock mode, does it make any difference in drive, pick up or in anything else?

Last edited by magikrider : 4th June 2012 at 00:06.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:45   #38
BHPian

Hey Dockap, I inquired about the AWD variant, but sadly it isn't available at present and was told that it might even be as late as year end before they start accepting bookings for the AWD variant again. so can you throw some more light on your experience with the AWD utility and how has it been useful and how often and if it is worth it in your opinion. hope to get your feedback this time. thanks.

Last edited by magikrider : 9th June 2012 at 22:47.
Old 10th June 2012, 07:29   #39
BHPian

Doc! Keep seeing your car in and around Mangalore. Yes Black is a pain to maintain. having experienced it with my Black SX4.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hey Dockap... congrats on you new car! a bit late in the day for that but nevertheless..
by the way you said that the car reaches 0-100 in 12.8 secs
Thank you,The official figure given by Mahindra is 12.3 seconds for 0-100 kph for the XUV the AWD must be slightly slower so i put it as12.8 seconds. I am yet to check the 0-100 timings for my XUV but it will be done with a stop watch so i don't think it will be accurate.

Quote:
Hey Dockap, I inquired about the AWD variant, but sadly it isn't available at present and was told that it might even be as late as year end before they start accepting bookings for the AWD variant again. so can you throw some more light on your experience with the AWD utility and how has it been useful and how often and if it is worth it in your opinion. hope to get your feedback this time. thanks.
I am sorry i did not notice your post earlier. I was planning to try out the AWD on the beach but after reading about the corrosive effect of the salt water and how fast rusting can take place i have decided against it. I had the rust problem in my previous car and once it starts that is the beginning of the end for the vehicle. As for AWD i am unable to figure when it switches from FWD to AWD if at all it does so automatically since there is no visible indicator which can display this switch. I always wished to own a 4x4 vehicle and the XUV was a good mix of good ground clearance with reasonable ability to off road with the creature comforts of a luxury sedan.
Regarding the pros and cons of FWD versus AWD i am no expert but here is a short explanation with the merits and demerits of all three-

Pros & Cons: Rear Drive, Front Drive Or All-Wheel Drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Doc! Keep seeing your car in and around Mangalore. Yes Black is a pain to maintain. having experienced it with my Black SX4.
Hi, I see that you are getting your yeti this month. congrats in advance and wish you many happy and safe miles on it. BTW i took your advice and went for the Waxoyl paint protection and under body coating for my XUV.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 14:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Thank you,The official figure given by Mahindra is 12.3 seconds for 0-100 kph for the XUV the AWD must be slightly slower so i put it as12.8 seconds. I am yet to check the 0-100 timings for my XUV but it will be done with a stop watch so i don't think it will be accurate.

I am sorry i did not notice your post earlier. I was planning to try out the AWD on the beach but after reading about the corrosive effect of the salt water and how fast rusting can take place i have decided against it. I had the rust problem in my previous car and once it starts that is the beginning of the end for the vehicle. As for AWD i am unable to figure when it switches from FWD to AWD if at all it does so automatically since there is no visible indicator which can display this switch. I always wished to own a 4x4 vehicle and the XUV was a good mix of good ground clearance with reasonable ability to off road with the creature comforts of a luxury sedan.
Regarding the pros and cons of FWD versus AWD i am no expert but here is a short explanation with the merits and demerits of all three-

Pros & Cons: Rear Drive, Front Drive Or All-Wheel Drive?
can you also throw some light on the average you are getting... tankful to tankful if you have done that... as it will be more accurate than the software.
as I think the FWD XUV owners are getting somewhere around 12.5-13.5 approx. thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 00:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
can you also throw some light on the average you are getting... tankful to tankful if you have done that... as it will be more accurate than the software.
as I think the FWD XUV owners are getting somewhere around 12.5-13.5 approx. thanks
I had the first service done last month and the total cost was Rs 2,111/- The average i used to get with tankful to tankful method before service was 10.5 kpl now after 1st service the average seems to have dropped to 10 kpl. City/Highway usage is 50/50
(I do not use the start stop function and idle the XUV a lot at traffic signals with AC on as the start stop function switches off the AC)

Some of the issues fixed at first service-
I now have a functioning remote for the IS. It seems that the remote given to me at the time of delivery was of the W6 model.
The right side ORVM hitting the window beading was fixed.
Car failed to start on 2 occasions- issue has not recurred after service
The entertainment system has stopped responding a few times - Issue has not recurred after up-gradation of software at 1st service
Notchy second gear- sometimes it difficult to engage second gear - 2nd Gear is now smooth but now some difficulty in engaging 1st gear at crawling speeds.
Car alarm sounds randomly when parked without any intrusion attempt- Issue has not recurred after service
Had complained about bad ride quality on rough roads and was told that all XUV's are like that.

Niggles not fixed
Grinding sound from the brakes-Still present
The steering Column rubs against your left foot when taking turns at crawling speed with the clutch depressed- design issue cannot be rectified unless M&M redesign the mechanism.

New issues detected
The AC sometimes fails to function with only the blower working at low speed and only way to fix this is by turning the climate control to minimum temp settings and the AC springs to life.
Outside smell enters even when in recirculate mode (This is very faint and cannot be compared to the smell entering when in fresh air mode) Have noticed this in all cars owned by us till now so must be normal.

3M Sun control films CS35 installed in April were removed by me as per DIY method of parking vehicle in direct sunlight and sticking black plastic garbage bags on the windows to heat up the films for 20 mins and they came off easily without any glue residue.(I have left behind the Garware icecool shield on the front windshield as it is not noticable even if you are standing next to the vehicle)
Since the XUV bookings have opened pan India i can now get it serviced in Mangalore instead of going all the way to Bangalore.
dockap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 00:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
I had the first service done last month and the total cost was Rs 2,111/- The average i used to get with tankful to tankful method before service was 10.5 kpl now after 1st service the average seems to have dropped to 10 kpl. City/Highway usage is 50/50
(I do not use the start stop function and idle the XUV a lot at traffic signals with AC on as the start stop function switches off the AC)
wow! this is certainly an eye opener! the drop in average from FWD to AWD is almost 2-3kms !!
Old 12th June 2012, 15:43   #44
BHPian

Congratulations - the jeep is a real stunner.

I have a few questions which I request you as an owner to answer regarding the XUV.

1) How good is the Chassis? The Scorpio had excessive body roll and was not very intuitive to drive particularly in the hills (I am from Himachal).

2) The Engine noise in the cabin? Again i found the Scorpio engine permeating the Cabin to be quite excessive, this is again more of a problem in twisty hill roads as the engine is revving harder at lower gears.

3) The quality of the fit & the finish of the interiors?

Thanks and enjoy your ride!.
Old 13th June 2012, 00:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Congratulations - the jeep is a real stunner.
1) How good is the Chassis?
2) The Engine noise in the cabin?
3) The quality of the fit & the finish of the interiors?
Thanks,
1) The suspension is fine on good to average roads. on bad roads it bounces a bit and the odd pothole unsettles it but much better than a Scorpio.
2) The engine noise is minimal and you hear it inside the cabin only when you rev hard. even then it a smooth pleasing type of noise and not the harsh sound you hear in lower budget suv/muvs
3)The fit and finish is fine and the quality is average ( its not bad but don't expect the same quality you see in German cars )

Last edited by dockap : 13th June 2012 at 00:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks