Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 00:41   #16

Re: My Pearl Red Honda City V-AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Hmmm... but I guess very tall people will have this prob' i.e. headroom - with most hatches & sedans. Suvs/Muvs of course could offer better headroom.
Hey, belated congratulations on your City. I got delivery of my Silver V-AT yesterday. My brother is 6'2" and was seated perfectly comfortably both in the rear as well as the front seats with myself (5'10") in the other seat. We were pleasantly surprised by this space which you don't expect when you see how compact the car when viewed from outside.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSfan#1 View Post
Hey, belated congratulations on your City. I got delivery of my Silver V-AT yesterday. My brother is 6'2" and was seated perfectly comfortably both in the rear as well as the front seats with myself (5'10") in the other seat. We were pleasantly surprised by this space which you don't expect when you see how compact the car when viewed from outside.
Congrats to you too on the new acquisition! Look forward to reading your driving experience.
Like you said - one would be surprised at the headroom in the car (considering that it is a bit low slung). The only nitpick would probably be the thigh support at the rear - one could do with a couple more inches.
Old 13th November 2012, 10:58   #18
BHPian

Congratulations Wilful. Is your model having cruise control and Sun rooof? These options were not available in V-AT when I purchased the car.

I have been using the City V-AT since 2009:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html . You can go through my experiences related to engine oil, service costs, new horn, light, tyres etc.

Last edited by B103 : 13th November 2012 at 11:00.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Congratulations Wilful. Is your model having cruise control and Sun rooof? These options were not available in V-AT when I purchased the car.

I have been using the City V-AT since 2009:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html . You can go through my experiences related to engine oil, service costs, new horn, light, tyres etc.
My model has the cruise control but not the sun roof.
I wish they had not skimped on the brakes - disc brakes all round would have been welcome.
Old 13th November 2012, 21:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I wish they had not skimped on the brakes - disc brakes all round would have been welcome.
Heard that a new version of City is scheduled to be released sometime by 2013. Hopefully, Honda will heed to customer sentiments and include features like bigger tyres, auto climate control, all disk brakes etc in the next City.
Old 14th November 2012, 00:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Heard that a new version of City is scheduled to be released sometime by 2013. Hopefully, Honda will heed to customer sentiments and include features like bigger tyres, auto climate control, all disk brakes etc in the next City.
Well, its the next gen. Honda City, which is expected around Q3/Q4 2013,possibly with the diesel mill as well. I expect climate control on that model, considering it being a huge demand from existing City owners.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:44   #22
BHPian

Re: Seeking advice for a new Honda City S-AT

Hi TBHPians,

I know the Honda City Automatic has been discussed and reviewed earlier. But the technology really moves fast today and I wanted a current opinion from fellow TBHPians about purchasing one.

The AT version was earlier available only with 'V' version but is now available with 'S' version also (making it more affordable). Besides, this time of the year is good to bargain for discounts for a Nov/Dec 2012 model.

I am buying the car for my Dad who has been a driving a manual and would give him some driving comfort and ease with an Automatic.

We have already TDed the car and also compared the VFM criteria between different variants.

I am looking for some advice for following -

1. What would be a realistic difference between the mileage on a Manual and a Automatic. Most people suggest 1.0-1.5 Km/l. Is this true?

2. Knowing Honda's reputation of low maintenance costs and hassle-free ownership, is there anything else to keep in mind for an Automatic?

3. Does using the paddle-shifters regulalry affect the mileage considerably?

4. Does it make sense to go a for 1-3 month old model, considering one can bargain for really hefty discounts? (around 30k minimum). I am looking to purchase a 2012 model (which dealer has in stock) and will probably keep the car for atleast 4 years.

5. The car will be purchased and used in Delhi. Any advice reg the Dealers and Service network? Also, if anyone who knows some Honda dealers in Delhi/NCR could give a heads-up regarding the possible discounts!

Any advice from current and ex Honda City owners will be really appreciated. Anyone who owns a S AT or a V AT on the forum could really help me out!

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2013, 17:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King View Post
Hi TBHPians,

I am looking for some advice for following -

1. What would be a realistic difference between the mileage on a Manual and a Automatic. Most people suggest 1.0-1.5 Km/l. Is this true?
It will also depend on how you floor an AT. Remember, AT's go by rule book, so, if you simply floor it and brake hard, it will consume lot of fuel. Considering the IVtec, keep the rpm in the ideal range of 1.5k - 3k, you will be all good, and very close to the MT.

Quote:
2. Knowing Honda's reputation of low maintenance costs and hassle-free ownership, is there anything else to keep in mind for an Automatic?
Nothing in particular, other than the transmission related maintenance. But even for an AT Civic, the maintenance is very much affordable. Nothing we need to do in extra compared to a MT.

Quote:
3. Does using the paddle-shifters regulalry affect the mileage considerably?
It depends on the way you use it. For example, if you feel like the engine is revving instead of upshifting, you can use the shifters to tell it to upshift. Here you might save a small amount. But afaik, these are very miute savings. Enjoy the AT comfort instead

Quote:
4. Does it make sense to go a for 1-3 month old model, considering one can bargain for really hefty discounts? (around 30k minimum). I am looking to purchase a 2012 model (which dealer has in stock) and will probably keep the car for atleast 4 years.
Yes, it will be. Bargain hard is the key, knock off maximum possible.

Quote:
5. The car will be purchased and used in Delhi. Any advice reg the Dealers and Service network? Also, if anyone who knows some Honda dealers in Delhi/NCR could give a heads-up regarding the possible discounts!

Any advice from current and ex Honda City owners will be really appreciated. Anyone who owns a S AT or a V AT on the forum could really help me out!
Attempting to help with your queries though I dont own a City, all with perspective of a Civic AT.

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Hope it helps.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 18:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
It depends on the way you use it. For example, if you feel like the engine is revving instead of upshifting, you can use the shifters to tell it to upshift. Here you might save a small amount. But afaik, these are very miute savings.
Thanks a ton Sarath! This is really helpful.

Reg your views on using paddle-shift, if I remember correctly, the Transmission needs to be shifted to another mode to enable paddle-shifting. Right? (Am a total ignoramus reg ATs, hence asking this).

Also, I read on few posts about certain make of tyres being more suitable to a particular car! If dealer allows me to choose tyre make at time of booking, any advice which make should i zero-in on? Are Michelins the most recommended for Honda cars?
Old 21st January 2013, 19:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I read on few posts about certain make of tyres being more suitable to a particular car! If dealer allows me to choose tyre make at time of booking, any advice which make should i zero-in on? Are Michelins the most recommended for Honda cars?
@Drift King, there is no such thing as a certain make of tires being more suitable for a particular car. Honda City at present comes in Goodyear, MRF and Michelin tires irrespective of the variants V, S, E or CE. Michelins are a good brand, and if your dealer gives you a choice among available cars like I was given (see my City ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...city-e-mt.html), I think choosing your car with Michelins would be better in terms of ride quality, road grip and tire noise. However, Michelins use softer material and as a result if you consistently drive on rough roads or drive with a heavy hand and feet, tire wear may be a bit quicker than other brands.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 20:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reg your views on using paddle-shift, if I remember correctly, the Transmission needs to be shifted to another mode to enable paddle-shifting. Right? (Am a total ignoramus reg ATs, hence asking this).
Earlier it used to work only in S mode, but now it works on D as well.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 10:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

The car is now two years old. It has been used mainly in town (with an in town FE of 8.5 kms). The odd longish trip I have done has given me around 14.5 to 15. There have been no major faults to date except for a crunch/crunch sound from the right (front) shock absorber region when it goes over small speed breakers or culverts quicker than usual - when the car settles with a whoosh (does not happen on bad stretches). Also the hint of a rattle from the same side over rough patches. The service centre chaps have not been able to get these things fixed. As luck would have it, these sounds never surface when I take the car to the service centre - but are back on my daily trips.
Tyre wear has been pretty high (Good Year originals) - despite regular alignment/balancing (planning an upgrade soon to maybe 185/60 R15).
Took my car for the 20000 km service on the 17th. The charges seem a trifle high at over Rs.9350/-.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pearl Red Honda City V-AT-new-doc-1_2.jpg  

Last edited by wilful : 21st April 2014 at 10:14.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The car is now two years old. It has been used mainly in town (with an in town FE of 8.5 kms). The odd longish trip I have done has given me around 14.5 to 15. There have been no major faults to date except for a crunch/crunch sound from the right (front) shock absorber region when it goes over small speed breakers or culverts quicker than usual - when the car settles with a whoosh (does not happen on bad stretches). Also the hint of a rattle from the same side over rough patches. The service centre chaps have not been able to get these things fixed. As luck would have it, these sounds never surface when I take the car to the service centre - but are back on my daily trips.
Tyre wear has been pretty high (Good Year originals) - despite regular alignment/balancing (planning an upgrade soon to maybe 185/60 R15).
Took my car for the 20000 km service on the 17th. The charges seem a trifle high at over Rs.9350/-.

Congrats mate for completing 2 years with your beauty. Same is with me, I have also completed 2 years with my City. However, I am surprised with your mileage figures, they are too less. I am getting a consistent figure of 11.5 to 12 kmpl in Mumbai City traffic conditions and almost end up getting 18 kmpl on my regular highway runs. I strongly recommend get the air-filter replaced.

Also, at Honda every 20000 km service is termed as Major service, where entire car gets checked and critical to engine parts get repaired or refurbished. However, in my opinion a bill of INR 9000 is slightly on a higher side, as I remember distinctly my bill worked out to INR 7650 for the same service. I had got my 20000 km service done at 18300 kms on board.

For tires, I would recommend switch to either Yokohama or Michelins, they are better performers and last long. I got stock Michelins on my car, and there is no hint of wear and tear anywhere.

I am posting the link of my ownership report for your perusal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...st-petrol.html
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Congrats mate for completing 2 years with your beauty. Same is with me, I have also completed 2 years with my City. However, I am surprised with your mileage figures, they are too less. I am getting a consistent figure of 11.5 to 12 kmpl in Mumbai City traffic conditions and almost end up getting 18 kmpl on my regular highway runs. I strongly recommend get the air-filter replaced.

Also, at Honda every 20000 km service is termed as Major service, where entire car gets checked and critical to engine parts get repaired or refurbished. However, in my opinion a bill of INR 9000 is slightly on a higher side, as I remember distinctly my bill worked out to INR 7650 for the same service. I had got my 20000 km service done at 18300 kms on board.

For tires, I would recommend switch to either Yokohama or Michelins, they are better performers and last long. I got stock Michelins on my car, and there is no hint of wear and tear anywhere.

I am posting the link of my ownership report for your perusal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...st-petrol.html
Thanks very much for the useful tips!
My daily commute to office is pretty short. The roads here are generally narrow, winding and choked with 2 & 3 wheeler traffic - things have worsened with the Metro work. Therefore it is mostly slow and low (in gear). This is probably the major reason for the low FE.
I've been reading your ownership thread. Those bi-xenons look really good. Wonder what the cost would be now.
I am looking at Michelins for the tyre upgrade.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much for the useful tips!
My daily commute to office is pretty short. The roads here are generally narrow, winding and choked with 2 & 3 wheeler traffic - things have worsened with the Metro work. Therefore it is mostly slow and low (in gear). This is probably the major reason for the low FE.
I've been reading your ownership thread. Those bi-xenons look really good. Wonder what the cost would be now.
I am looking at Michelins for the tyre upgrade.
Hey mate,

These bi-xenon's costed me INR 18000/- a pair with installation. These are from the brand Genome, and their factory is based out of Pune. Co-incidentally I knew the owner of this company, and that is how I got it at a cheaper rate compared to the rate quoted in the Showrooms.

I have done additional upgrade on the car lately; have added IRVM integrated with Bluetooth and Reverse View Camera Display on the mirror, similar to the one found in most of the Hyundai Cars. In all probability you may like the product.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks