Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:20   #1621
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am seriously looking at an Ertiga ZDI as my next car. It fits pretty much all my requirements except automatic climate control, which is only a nice to have.

I currently own a Ritz VXI.

A Ritz ZDI costs 7.75L onroad in Bangalore ( before discounts) and an Ertiga ZDI costs 10.75L (before discounts); thats whopping 3L or 40% difference for a 3rd row seating !!

I know the profit margins are higher in MUV and SuV segments. But is 3L premium justified from a features point of view? How much of the 3L goes to profit vs cost of vehicle? Options of good 7 seaters are limited in this price range; but still interested in knowing how much is my contribution to Maruti's bottom line.
I have a Jan 2013 Ertiga ZDI with Alloy wheels which has clocked close to 14000 kms on the Odo. My other vehicle is a 2002 Wagon-R Lxi (96000 kms) which is still going good.

Reasons for me to choose Ertiga ZDI (Top end model) are :
- Maruti has very good after sales service and a wide network
- I needed a newer spacious vehicle as I drive long distances during vacations. I am not comfortable taking a 10 year plus vehicle on highways
- Diesel made sense running cost wise when I booked in June 2012
- Factory fitted safety and comfort features were aligned to my needs i.e. Air bags, ABS, Dual AC, Electric ORVM's, Music System with steering controls, Tilt steering, Driver seat height adjust, Engine immobiliser, Central locking with remote et al ( I did not want to fit third party Add-ons)
- Toyota Innova top end model was atleast 5 lakhs more

Since you have mentioned cost, you can look at VDI or the petrol options in Ertiga.
Aerobat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:27   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For a person who wants a 7 seater, Ritz is NOT an option. Only a person who wants to have a comfy 5 seater with LOTs of luggage space will need to compare both.

Rightly said.

Other factors which could tilt the balance in favour of the Ertiga in the Ritz-versus-Ertiga comparison are superior ride quality and the bigger K14 engine, which lends to good drive-ability for the same payload.

Last edited by mooza : 23rd March 2014 at 18:30.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:59   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a person who wants a 7 seater, Ritz is NOT an option. Only a person who wants to have a comfy 5 seater with LOTs of luggage space will need to compare both.
I belong to the exact same group of buyers !!!
I currently own a Ritz and it certainly can swallow a good amount of luggage (see this; but that makes the life inside cabin a bit uncomfortable. I always have a softcorner for estate type of cars or softroaders like CRV where the boot is accessible from rear seat.

The primary advantages I see for Ertiga are
1. Amount of luggage that can carry with 3rd row folded down
2. Possibility of making a flat bed for kids in long drives

Yet to make up my mind on Ertiga or a sedan in the 10-11L range.

I am planning to rent an Ertiga from Carzonrent (self drive) for a weekend drive and decide.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 10:17   #1624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Would like to update that I've been doing a number of highway trips myself and as of now my odo stands at 47,000 kms. Issues? ....Have not been to the workshop for anything other than general service. The vehicle is good as new. Overall, extremely happy and no regrets.
Great! Are there any rattle issues? What is the average bill for every 10K kms service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastichouse View Post
...On an another note, Dad has been mentioning a low visibility issue due to the A pillar. In fact, I also had hairy moments on roundabouts, twice, due to someone suddenly appearing in the view. We have those plastic panels installed above the windows which are supposed keep the rain water at bay. I think they might be reducing the overall visibility.Anybody using those ? Are you facing any problems with visibility ?
I do NOT think the rain visors would affect any visibility, simply for the reason those would be above your eye levels. The A-pillar is a problem for many latest gen Maruti cars, especially the ones born (from) after Swift.

Quote:
There is a catch though! When you fold the 3rd row seat, the middle seat will lost the travel and will be having limited leg space, due to the head rest. Please try this out.

Quote:
....I am planning to rent an Ertiga from Carzonrent (self drive) for a weekend drive and decide.
Brilliant move! Nothing can be better than having vehicle at your disposal and having real time experiment.

Off-Topic:: Have you had a look at the Duster / Terrano?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th March 2014 at 10:22.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:00   #1625
BANNED

Quote:
I do NOT think the rain visors would affect any visibility, simply for the reason those would be above your eye levels. The A-pillar is a problem for many latest gen Maruti cars, especially the ones born (from) after Swift.
When i drive my cousin's prev gen Swift with the rain visor i found it difficult to spot pedestrians and two wheelers in roundabouts and chaotic intersections. The same gen swift without the rain visor is a lot more easier for me to drive.

I believe the rain visors do make a difference based on individual's height and driving positions.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 11:48   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a catch though! When you fold the 3rd row seat, the middle seat will lost the travel and will be having limited leg space, due to the head rest. Please
I don't think so that the space that remains after folding down the 3rd row (after removing the headrests) is something that I would complain after having driven in similar condition all the way to Gujarat and back (easily 1100kms in a day).

Here is my post that also shows the space difference in various modes:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3328691

I am 6"3' and always travel with parents, wife and my daughter and the space was never a constraint with the 3rd row folded down. It may be an issue for someone as tall as 6" over a very long distance run.

Another thing I also highlighted in my post is the fact that you don't need to fold the 3rd row and still dump the luggage on the seat itself and enjoy the leg room available sliding the 2nd row to the maximum.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:24   #1627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...I am 6"3' and always travel with parents, wife and my daughter and the space was never a constraint with the 3rd row folded down. It may be an issue for someone as tall as 6" over a very long distance run...
I am 6"2 and I put it down from my perspective. As you said, the comfort factor will depend on the type of people (and physique) who travels.

Quote:
... Another thing I also highlighted in my post is the fact that you don't need to fold the 3rd row and still dump the luggage on the seat itself and enjoy the leg room available sliding the 2nd row to the maximum.
This definitely is an option. I personally do NOT prefer this mode for two reasons;

1. The wheels or sharp edges (of the bags) can tear your seat.
2. The bags (if) placed above the seat back height will have a high chance of falling on to the person seated in the front under hard braking.

Having the seat upright will actually fail the flexibility perspective of luggage loading though it helps in liberating more space in the middle row.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:43   #1628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. The wheels or sharp edges (of the bags) can tear your seat.
Agree and hence I have used Yoga mats smartly whenever I wanted to load the luggage. That said, this is not a permanent solution but works in my favor when needed. You can see in the same post how my WagonR's seats are also prone to such sharp edges even if the luggage is loaded in the Boot. This seems like the case for Hatches too. Of course, one doesnt load the luggage on the seats directly!
Quote:
2. The bags (if) placed above the seat back height will have a high chance of falling on to the person seated in the front under hard braking.
It only takes minimal sense to ensure never to load luggage above the level of back (not the head rest). This is applicable for Hatches as well, specially my WagonR where I ensured it was never loaded above a certain level. Affects rear visibility through ORVMs which I will never compromise. At least I dont have stuffed toys and Pillows to block my rear view visibility.
Quote:
Having the seat upright will actually fail the flexibility perspective of luggage loading though it helps in liberating more space in the middle row.
You cannot have a cake and eat it too. We are talking about flexibility - Either you avail that for better Leg space or for optimum luggage space

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th March 2014 at 12:44.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:55   #1629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...It only takes minimal sense to ensure never to load luggage above the level of back (not the head rest). This is applicable for Hatches as well, specially my WagonR where I ensured it was never loaded above a certain level. Affects rear visibility through ORVMs which I will never compromise. At least I dont have stuffed toys and Pillows to block my rear view visibility....
Sorry, but I noticed a bag being loaded on top of another in one of the pics in the link you shared. Didn't think you might have removed it after taking the pic.

Quote:
... You cannot have a cake and eat it too. We are talking about flexibility - Either you avail that for better Leg space or for optimum luggage space
Well, in such a case, I do NOT understand the need for an Ertiga. Someone who needs a 5 seater might as well got for a spacious sedan with a good boot capacity (SX4 / Etios / Sunny / Verito). Otherwise, I would rather have the last row of seat removed so that we can LOTs of leg space as well as cargo space, in an Ertiga. I am NOT a fan of compromising on everything after spending good cash.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th March 2014 at 12:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 13:03   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but I noticed a bag being loaded on top of another in one of the pics in the link you shared. Didn't think you might have removed it after taking the pic.
That Maroon bag is resting on top of another one and can never come into the 2nd row despite of hard Braking. Its not protruding out as you can see.

Quote:
Well, in such a case, I do NOT understand the need for an Ertiga. Someone who needs a 5 seater might as well got for a spacious sedan with a good boot capacity (SX4 / Etios / Sunny / Verito). Otherwise, I would rather have the last row of seat removed so that we can LOTs of leg space as well cargo space, in an Ertiga. I am NOT a fan of compromising on everything after spending good cash.
Absolutely valid point: Ertiga is not a spacious 7 Seater. Period! But it is definitely a flexible 7 seater.
I took my folks on a 600kms day drive from Bangalore to Mysore to my Hometown of Belur and Chikmagalur and back using all the 3 row for 6 adults (including me). The luggage was very minimal as it was a day drive. So Cargo space was never a concern.

More on that drive: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3354827

We otherwise had to take 2 cars for 6 Adults here! 7 Seat flexibility helped me here precisely!

We also drove to Pondi and Kumbakonam with 5 Adults (Including me), where we managed to put all the luggage in the boot itself, Pulled one of the split seat a little towards the front and made use of the 3rd row for the 5th person to sleep in peace - Again the flexibility helped such that 3 people didn't have to rub shoulders for 2 days sitting on second row.

Here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3367747

Like you said, if one is looking strictly for a 5 seater, Ertiga is should not be the choice but if you need occasional flexibility, then yes.

That said, I will still rate the space that remains after folding 3rd row as "adequate" and not cramped in any manner.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th March 2014 at 13:11.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:43   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Would like to update that I've been doing a number of highway trips myself and as of now my odo stands at 47,000 kms. Issues? NONE and even the MRFs seem to be holding up well for the mileage. Got the first puncture after 46000 kms but other than that, no electronic or mechanical issues. Have not been to the workshop for anything other than general service. The vehicle is good as new. Overall, extremely happy and no regrets.
Hey @swiftdiesel, nice to see you back in the forum and thanks for the update.
Few questions:
- What was the cost of 30k service and 40k service of your car?
- Did you change brake pads during any of these services? My service advisor mentioned it during 20k km service but I firmly rejected that. He insists on cheking again at 25k km. I felt it is too early to do so even at 25k.
- How much drop in FE with AC on 100% of the time? My car completed 22000 km recently. I dont notice any power drop with AC turned on but the city FE dropped to below 14 with AC 100% on. Last year during the summer FE was slightly above 14 (in city).
Old 25th March 2014, 12:14   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great! Are there any rattle issues? What is the average bill for every 10K kms service?
There is a rattle in my overhead AC unit every time I go over a bad road. No other rattles. I've gotten so used to this one that I hardly notice it now. That's not to say that "rattles are OK" but for me it's a non issue.

Average service bill comes to about Rs. 12000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hey @swiftdiesel, nice to see you back in the forum and thanks for the update.
Few questions:
- What was the cost of 30k service and 40k service of your car?
- Did you change brake pads during any of these services? My service advisor mentioned it during 20k km service but I firmly rejected that. He insists on cheking again at 25k km. I felt it is too early to do so even at 25k.
- How much drop in FE with AC on 100% of the time? My car completed 22000 km recently. I dont notice any power drop with AC turned on but the city FE dropped to below 14 with AC 100% on. Last year during the summer FE was slightly above 14 (in city).
Thanks mohan41! The 40k service cost me about Rs. 13000. The life of the brake pads depend on our driving styles and in my case my SA said there's still some life left at 40k. So, I'm still with my original pads but I'll definitely replace it in the 50k service. Check if you hear any mild screech noise while braking. If you do, it's time to change.

I usually get 17.7 kmpl highway and about 17 in the city. If you drive very sedately in the city, your efficiency should go up. There are times I get frustrated with the turbo lag (city driving) and drive aggressively and at those times, the F.E. falls. Also, frequent gear changes in the city will cause the efficiency to drop. Try taking the car nice and slow, and see if it improves.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:08   #1633
BHPian

It seems I have an issue with the blower in my Ertiga. When I point the blower to blow air towards the legs, I dont feel any air coming anywhere, neither towards the body nor towards legs. I hear the air blower noise louder than usual. Does anyone else have this issue? Any ideas what should I check?
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:14   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
I belong to the exact same group of buyers !!!
I currently own a Ritz and it certainly can swallow a good amount of luggage (see this; but that makes the life inside cabin a bit uncomfortable. I always have a softcorner for estate type of cars or softroaders like CRV where the boot is accessible from rear seat.

Yet to make up my mind on Ertiga or a sedan in the 10-11L range.

I am planning to rent an Ertiga from Carzonrent (self drive) for a weekend drive and decide.
I agree to all the advantages that you have pointed out for the Ertiga. The amount of luggage that Ertiga can carry is huge.

I had been for a vacation to my inlaws at Nagpur and while returning, I had two brand new cycles stuffed in the Car along with all the luggage that we had. (I am sure you understand the kind of luggage that you take when you go to inlaws house for a week.)

Man I was really impressed by the Luggage that this car can take.

Also impressive is the mileage that I get from the vehicle. In city I am able to extract FE of 17 and on highways with driving speed at 100 or lower, I get mileage of 18 and with driving speed at 120 the car's mileage is at 19kmpl. I am surprised but this is the observation that I have for Ertiga. Though If you drive faster than 120, mileage drops considerably and I have also seen FE as low as 14kmpl with pedal to metal driving style.

Last edited by kailashnj : 3rd April 2014 at 22:22.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 10:44   #1635
BHPian

Hi

Reading all the posts after a few weeks.

Wondering why the service costs are more than 10K...What parts were replaced guys?

I am scheduled to go in for the 30K (will be taken earlier) service and happy to share what bill is presented to me.

My two cents on the debate on the space. To me it is a spacious 5 seater and a very occasional 7 seater. In fact in the last 20 months or so of ownership I have had 7 or more (actually 8 people) just once. 4 of the men were heavy and tall. I am myself 6.2. All sat in well and we had driven about 120 kms. With the 3rd seat down the leg space in the middle row is as good as any car. The advantage we get with the second and third row down - well its a flat bed!

Cheers
Rajain

Most Viewed