Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 22:49   #1966
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

First month in (though 2-3 weeks back) and done 4K kms+! Using it as a proper workhorse. And to top it off, it hasn't even been to very long drives as of yet...

Couple things to note:
1. The FE is ever increasing which is definitely a positive.
2. NVH is astounding at speeds of 70-80.
3. It is fun to redline this (though not much point being a diesel)
4. Stock tires are horrid. Too easy to make it squeel and lose grip.
5. One thing I am not sure if it is feature or problem: When someone opens the front door first at full capacity, and then if someone opens to come out from rear door, it will not open unless the front door closes in a bit. I am not sure if I am able to convey this properly.

Otherwise loving this purchase and every moment is a fun one spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-10548172_10154431426160503_8081150347535917026_o-1.jpg  

kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 23:24   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good to see you happy. The Ertiga gets optional ABS in VXi/VDi variants. IMO, the VDi ABS version sells the most after ZDi.

I am not sure on the CNG version but what is your monthly running?

Anurag.
If I am to choose only one car for my daily office runs and family outings, then nothing beats Ertiga, though I may like to TD the Mobilio as well before making the final decision. My monthly running is 1500+ kms. I am also waiting to hear on the 3 year old used Innova V model. Hopefully it will be put on block in coming two months and if it is offered at 8.5 lacs then it stands a very good chance to making to my garage. However I am yet to get a good feel of slotting it in my apartment parking. If that doesn't work out then its surely going to be the Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
All diesel variants have ABS by default where as its optional on vxi and cng
Is ABS option really available on the CNG as well? If true then the CNG VXi also makes a compelling proposition.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 23:54   #1968
BANNED

Quote:

Are you sure buddy?

The brochure says it is optional from 'V' variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If I am to choose only one car for my daily office runs and family outings, then nothing beats Ertiga, though I may like to TD the Mobilio as well before making the final decision. My monthly running is 1500+ kms.
Why not a VDi ABS? Going by your monthly running, diesel shouldn't hurt your pocket.

Quote:
Is ABS option really available on the CNG as well? If true then the CNG VXi also makes a compelling proposition.
I guess it is since its an option on VXi.

Anurag.
Old 16th August 2014, 23:59   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All diesel variants LDi/VDi/ZDi get ABS as standard. The petrol's have it only on ZXi. Lower variants don't get it but seeing it as optional is new for me.

Diesel all variants with ABS standard is 100%.
Old 17th August 2014, 00:19   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure buddy?

Why not a VDi ABS? Going by your monthly running, diesel shouldn't hurt your pocket.

I guess it is since its an option on VXi.

Anurag.
ABS is not available on the VXi version of both the petrol and CNG models. Even though it is listed as optional on the brochure and the website, Maruti had only manufactured few numbers at the beginning. Currently no such models are available.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 01:07   #1971
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All diesel variants LDi/VDi/ZDi get ABS as standard. The petrol's have it only on ZXi. Lower variants don't get it but seeing it as optional is new for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
ABS is not available on the VXi version of both the petrol and CNG models.
Following are the screen shots I have taken from Maruti Suzuki's website of the Ertiga's page .

Name:  ForumRunner_20140817_010155.png
Views: 3229
Size:  116.1 KB

EDIT: Just realised my mistake. They have split the Petrol and Diesel as separate in the safety column. Didn't realise that. I stand corrected, Diesels get ABS whereas Petrol VXi/ZXi get as per the screen shot.
Quote:
If true then the CNG VXi also makes a compelling proposition.
Following are the screenshots for the CNG variant of the Ertiga's:

Technical Specifications:

Name:  ForumRunner_20140817_010524.png
Views: 2958
Size:  75.3 KB

Features:

Name:  ForumRunner_20140817_010539.png
Views: 2907
Size:  61.7 KB

PS: Hope the information is correct.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th August 2014 at 01:12.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:11   #1972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Following are the screen shots I have taken from Maruti Suzuki's website of the Ertiga's page .

Attachment 1274899

As the brochure has " - " in the LXi/LDi variant column and " (O) " in the VXi/VDi variant. Hence source of the information I have on ABS possibility. Apologies if it is wrong.
Did you notice there are 2 lines. One says ABS (Petrol) and then second line is ABS (Diesel).
Old 17th August 2014, 01:13   #1973
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Did you notice there are 2 lines. One says ABS (Petrol) and then second line is ABS (Diesel).
Yes I have edited my post. Did realise my fault. Thanks.

Anurag.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:22   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the factory fitted HU in the top end Ertiga ZDi does not come with an inbuilt bluetooth functionality. If this is indeed true, then I would like to know from Ertiga owners, how have you overcome this lacunae and how are you managing to speak handsfree while in the Ertiga?
Maruti offers a hands free Bluetooth kit (Maruti Nippon MGA) compatible with all OEM MS music systems. It's a simple unit which clips onto the inner plastic molding of the A pillar - a cable connection takes care of both voice as well as power. No separate charger cable is required. I've been using it since 2010 in my earlier A Star - using it now in the Ertiga as well as the new Wagon R. Easy to pair up with (I've tried out Symbian, Android as well as Windows), good noise cancellation, streams music from phones effortlessly - & extremely affordable at Rs. 3,500/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Parking sensors and Reversing camera are not included. Also, you may find lesser bottle holders compared to a Honda car.
Two models of MGA parking sensors available - both priced at Rs.2,500/- each.

Quote:
Also, Ertiga gives you 85% of what an Innova gives at 65% the price.
Spot on 👍
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 19:38   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Today afternoon the customer advisor brought the TD Ertiga ZDi to my home. I handed over my Indica's car key to the evaluator and with mom, dad and my kid, we went for the TD along with 2 people from the showroom. So we were 5 adults and a kid. Since I am used to driving a NA Indica for the last 10 years I could easily come over the turbo lag. I could reach 80 kmph on an open stretch of road and then I started hearing the now infamous hissing noise from the right side mirror. Though not very intrusive I could distinctly notice it. The cabin insulation was pretty good and the diesel clatter didnt filter inside the cabin much. The front and side visibility was very good, absolutely no blind spots. Overall pretty satisfied with the TD.

Meanwhile the evaluator was done with his job. On asking the offer, he said that the max value they could offer was 65K. Then there would be an exchange bonus of 25K. Cash discount of 15K and corporate discount of another 3K. Though I am in no hurry to book the Ertiga, I told him that I will let him know my decision by tomorrow. I guess Maruti might have rolled back the discounts, which were being offered before the launch of the Mobilio. As a matter of fact the advisor mentioned that there were 7 people who canceled the Mobilio booking and bought the Ertiga instead.

Edit: Babuda, just now saw your post. Thanks a lot for sharing this very valuable information on hands free Bluetooth kit (Maruti Nippon MGA)

Last edited by AutoIndian : 17th August 2014 at 19:44.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 20:43   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Meanwhile the evaluator was done with his job. On asking the offer, he said that the max value they could offer was 65K. Then there would be an exchange bonus of 25K. Cash discount of 15K and corporate discount of another 3K. Though I am in no hurry to book the Ertiga, I told him that I will let him know my decision by tomorrow. I guess Maruti might have rolled back the discounts, which were being offered before the launch of the Mobilio. As a matter of fact the advisor mentioned that there were 7 people who canceled the Mobilio booking and bought the Ertiga instead.
Typically the discounts are bit more during quarter endings to boost sales numbers. This month being auspicious, they might be having good sales too.

Why dont you play around a bit. Aproach multiple dealers and even say you are looking at mobilio bit seriously ?
If not the discounts, you might be able to manage some more buck on your old car

When i exchanged my swift with ertiga last year, i had similar experience. Finally i walked out saying i am booking honda amaze.

Got a call from dealer next month and i got a better deal on my old car

Last edited by rajshenoy : 17th August 2014 at 20:46.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 21:19   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Typically the discounts are bit more during quarter endings to boost sales numbers. This month being auspicious, they might be having good sales too.
Hmnn, perhaps that is the reason why the discounts are not that attractive now. To top it the optimistic Mobilio pricing has helped Ertiga's case.

Quote:
Why dont you play around a bit. Aproach multiple dealers and even say you are looking at mobilio bit seriously ?
If not the discounts, you might be able to manage some more buck on your old car
That is a good suggestion, definitely worth the try. If ever my used Innova deal doesn't go through, then I am sure shot going to test drive the Mobilio. Also pitch another Maruti dealer against the current one, and all this during third quarter end.

Quote:
When i exchanged my swift with ertiga last year, i had similar experience. Finally i walked out saying i am booking honda amaze.

Got a call from dealer next month and i got a better deal on my old car
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is well and good if I get a better valuation for my current car, however I am not so keen on it as I can easily sell to my close acquaintance for a decent amount. By the way how much did you get for your swift and what was its running and vintage?
Old 18th August 2014, 08:07   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmnn, perhaps that is the reason why the discounts are not that attractive now. To top it the optimistic Mobilio pricing has helped Ertiga's case.

That is a good suggestion, definitely worth the try. If ever my used Innova deal doesn't go through, then I am sure shot going to test drive the Mobilio. Also pitch another Maruti dealer against the current one, and all this during third quarter end.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is well and good if I get a better valuation for my current car, however I am not so keen on it as I can easily sell to my close acquaintance for a decent amount. By the way how much did you get for your swift and what was its running and vintage?
Prices in Bangalore are bit high for new cars, so resale is also higher. Mine was almost 7 year old car which had run around 65K. Dealers offered only 2.75L

I was pretty happy with Swift, so didnt really bother to sell. Dealer came back next month(may be some one was interested in buying swift) I said i had already booked Amaze and was awaiting delivery. Finally we settled for 3L + exchange bonus of 15K and 3K corp discount.

Btw, same brand dealers offer better resale for their cars. Honda and Ford dealers were least interested in even valuating my car If i was booking Amaze or EcoSport. They too were hinting at max 2.5L and those days Amaze and EcoSport didnt have even pea nuts coming free with it.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 18th August 2014 at 08:09.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 16:06   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the factory fitted HU in the top end Ertiga ZDi does not come with an inbuilt bluetooth functionality. If this is indeed true, then I would like to know from Ertiga owners, how have you overcome this lacunae and how are you managing to speak handsfree while in the Ertiga?

p.s I am expecting the Ertiga test drive vehicle to come to my house in the next half an hour. I had requested the TD vehicle to be brought to my house so that I can drive it with all the six members in my family. This way I can check out their comfort level and also the pulling power. Moreover I can verify how convenient/ difficult it is to slot it in my apartment parking.
Hi AutoIndian,

This was a concern for me too. I have fitted the Caska head unit for Ertiga. Its an OE fit unit with plug and play connections. The unit has a 7 inch touchscreen and covers pretty much everything that you can get in a car stereo now a days. Its got bluetooth calling and audio streaming (sync your contact book and everything), offline maps and navigation by map my India. DVD playback (though I don't really use this), CD/MP3, USB playback, iPod connector. It also comes in the same color as the top of the dashboard and looks very aesthetic.

My buying experience wasn't exactly great, but it could be a one off case. You can give it a try, Here is a reference link. Though the image in this link is black, it comes in Ertiga colors too!

You can come and check it if you want, I am in Pune too! (BTW, I bought my Ertiga VDi in June last week, after following and evaluating a Mobilio for almost 7 or 8 months!)

Last edited by KedarB : 18th August 2014 at 16:13.
KedarB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 21:04   #1980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Hi AutoIndian,

This was a concern for me too. I have fitted the Caska head unit for Ertiga. Its an OE fit unit with plug and play connections. The unit has a 7 inch touchscreen and covers pretty much everything that you can get in a car stereo now a days. Its got bluetooth calling and audio streaming (sync your contact book and everything), offline maps and navigation by map my India. DVD playback (though I don't really use this), CD/MP3, USB playback, iPod connector. It also comes in the same color as the top of the dashboard and looks very aesthetic.
Thank you for sharing your experience with CASKA. At 30K his seems to be a good value. The ad also shows a free reversing camera with this unit, did you get it? Also from where did you get this fitted in your car?

Quote:
My buying experience wasn't exactly great, but it could be a one off case. You can give it a try, Here is a reference link. Though the image in this link is black, it comes in Ertiga colors too!
What problems did you face while buying this unit? How much you had to pay for this unit?

Quote:
You can come and check it if you want, I am in Pune too! (BTW, I bought my Ertiga VDi in June last week, after following and evaluating a Mobilio for almost 7 or 8 months!)
Thank you for the invitation. If ever I finalize on the Ertiga, I am surely going to check out your Ertiga and the CASKA. Yes Mobilio was a big time disappointment, especially the pricing. Honda lost a good chance to eat into the pie of Ertiga and Maruti is not at all complaining.

Most Viewed