Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:36   #1996
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
I refill as soon as the fuel warning light comes up. Is it true that one can't try tankful method i.e when you keep driving even after the fuel warning light comes up and when the tank is totally empty , then only you fill the tank( in case of diesel)? Or is it just a rumor?
Not at all advisable to drive with low fuel in case of diesels. The engine and fuel pump hates it IIRC.

Refill as soon as the low fuel warning lamp is lit till auto cut-off. Drive around till the warning reapppears, fill in fuel till auto cut off.

No of kms / fuel filled = FE

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 00:01   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not at all advisable to drive with low fuel in case of diesels. The engine and fuel pump hates it IIRC.

Anurag.
Yup! Didn't do that. But shall I assume that the reserve is 12litres?! That's a big number. Do share the no. of litres that goes in your ertiga's tank when filled to the brim.

Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:23   #1998
BHPian

Just completed 2 years 20k kms with my VDI. Its kind of boring. Nothing much to report, all are working as expected. Except for the squeaking noise from the seats, every thing else is fine.

Been running on a 195 width c-drive. After 20k, threads have held up nicely.

Overall FE is at 17kmpl. 15-16 in city and 18+ on highway. Highway numbers are on lower side, when compared to other oil burners. The max I managed to get is 19 on a Bangalore to Madras trip, a downhill run. FE from ertiga is just about OK.

Upgraded the lamps to NBP(Osram Night Breaker plus). Not so much of an upgrade to warrant 1200INR. I guess it has to be either 100/90 or some kind of aux lighting.

A very very expensive 2nd service. 10K INR. Service again was boring. Went on with out any drama, that i used to experience in sundaram. Pratham(bellandur) is good. Every thing was on time. But then there was nothing wrong with the car either, just the regular service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Yup! Didn't do that. But shall I assume that the reserve is 12litres?! That's a big number. Do share the no. of litres that goes in your ertiga's tank when filled to the brim.

Thanks
Yes. Ertiga's reserve is around 12 liters. Refilling her just after the reserve, she takes in 33-34 liters.
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:39   #1999
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post

A very very expensive 2nd service. 10K INR.

But then there was nothing wrong with the car either, just the regular service.
Wow such an expensive boring service!

Can I know what all was done for the bill to reach 10K?

Dad's Ertiga completed 10K service and the bill came upto Rs 4177 IIRC.

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:14   #2000
BHPian

It’s been 20000 Kms for my Ertiga in 9 months and I am enjoying each and every moment that I am spending with her. Thanks to all TBHPians who has given a wonderful in-depth review of this car which has helped me to become a proud owner of this beauty.

In Oct 13; I have almost made my mind to go with Duster; (frankly I never liked the shape of Ertiga); but something in Duster was making me little uncomfortable and I started looking for more options.
Fortunately I found that missing “something” in Ertiga after going through this thread; all I wanted is a car for 5 passengers but with some flexibility.
Pics posted by fiat tarun on 15th may 13 ( Luggage and flower pots); recallers on 31st March13 ( all their Musical Instruments in the boot by folding middle and back seats); pics by Rajain in his thread on 22nd Jan 13 (Last row folded and use of Scorpio Mat) were enough to change my decision.
Spend a full day in reading all the reviews on Team BHP site and here I am; a Proud owner of Granite Grey Ertiga VDI.
Few Experiences while buying this car
# I have never taken a test ride of Ertiga before delivery; technically I was convinced with the Car and its Features; thanks to Team BHP. Also there is a little doubt in my Subconscious mind; so I decided to skip a test drive; never wanted to try and experience the much Talked Turbo Lag.

And today after completing 20K KMs I can proudly say “some decisions need to be taken from heart” ; I don't know if I am sounding like a fool. But that's true.

# During the delivery while checking the Engine bay area I found the Rusting as mentioned and shown by krish11, so thought of having some fun; the sales guys had taken this rusting Quite seriously and called his Service Supervisor and took about 15 minutes to clarify my Doubt. But till that time we were surrounded by many curious customers as everybody wanted to know how Maruti can use rusted parts in a brand new car.
# During pre delivery Inspection when I decoded the VIN number in front of Sales Guy; he was shocked.
# Further when I asked him to get the Gear Lock and Air Filter fitted before final Delivery, he became Speechless. In Mumbai not many People Use Gear Lock and even his MGA counterpart was not aware of such accessory for Ertiga. On my insistence he referred Ertiga Accessory Booklet and found one. Thanks to Rajain for posting Gear Lock Picture in his thread My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 5000 kms & counting.

My beauty so has travelled Delhi-Mumbai, Mumbai-Dwarka, Mumbai Kholapur, Mumbai- Shirdi-Aurangabad-Nasik. I am enjoying my Road Tripping and unable to come out of Ertiga Hangover..
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20140722_182225_v1.jpg  

ajay4060 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 13:30   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
It’s been 20000 Kms for my Ertiga in 9 months and I am enjoying each and every moment that I am spending with her. Thanks to all TBHPians who has given a wonderful in-depth review of this car which has helped me to become a proud owner of this beauty.
I'm happy to hear you enjoy your Ertiga albeit being an "ex-Ertiga" owner. This is what this vehicle is built for - crunching highway miles like there's no tomorrow. It's an able cruiser and best suited for intercity travel. My Ertiga spent most of its time on the highway and its a fabulous MPV to transport 4/5 people and luggage with supreme comfort. Post 10k kms, the engine will open up and be more tractable and that's what you're enjoying in your 20k Ertiga.

Don't bother about the rusty bit on the engine head. It's superficial and nothing alarming. I had rust in mine too while taking delivery but it never posed a problem in my 50k of driving. I live by the coast but rust was never a problem anytime. Ertiga has spoilt me with its space and utility that I've decided my every car from now on will be an MPV. It's that good! Enough said! Wish you many more miles in your beauty!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 19:59   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Wow such an expensive boring service!

Can I know what all was done for the bill to reach 10K?

Dad's Ertiga completed 10K service and the bill came upto Rs 4177 IIRC.

Anurag.
Yes, 4k is the amount for for 10k. For 20k all the fluids are changed. And labour charges. That's it.
Old 25th August 2014, 19:27   #2003
BHPian

30K Service done today at Thanawala motors in Thane.

Service cost is 14xx INR only plus taxes. Got some additionals like RAT deterrent treatment and small consumable replacements.

Oil (bought from 99 RPM) cost me INR 3K. Total paid to MSM including consumables was INR 2.9K, leading to a total of 5.9K for the complete activity.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:06   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you for sharing the pictures Kedar, looks awesome. It is gelling so very well with the dash, can't make out that this is an aftermarket fitment. Would you mind sharing the picture of the screen with the reverse gear engaged. Just want to get a feel of the reverse camera.
Ok here are the pics you requested. I have captured how it looks on the HU screen and how it looks from outside just to give you an idea of the distance and the lighting conditions

These are night time shots, taken approx at 8 or 8:30 PM
The view on HU
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-nightview.jpg

The exterior view at the same time, haven't used a flash on purpose
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-nightexteriorview.jpg

and these are taken today morning, approx at 9 AM
The view on HU
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dayview.jpg

and the exterior view
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dayexteriorview.jpg

here is another view taken today morning
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-anotherview.jpg

Quote:
Even the ZDi that I test drove had a reverse camera fitted, however the display was mounted on the windshield, which I don't prefer. One query here, is the company fitted HU of the VDi and the ZDi models the same or are they different?
Yes this was shown to me by MGA while I test drove the Ertiga but I wanted a more complete solution. This one gives me bluetooth connectivity, reverse camera (it even has an accessory for fitting sensors which go as an input to the tape, in addition to the camera) and offline maps. The DVD/VCD movie playback and SD card readers are a bonus. Also, this tape has a higher output, 55 RMS I think, than the standard VDi tape, which is around 35 or 45 RMS not sure. After fitting this unit, got a marginally better sound from the stock speakers.

BTW, the VDi and ZDi HUs are different.
Here's the VDi one
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-vdi-dash.jpg

And this is the shot of the ZDi from the official review
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-marutiertiga01.jpg

the VDi unit is actually a single din unit, with a bigger face fitted on top (saw this when the unit was taken out ), while the ZDi unit is a proper double din unit.

Last edited by KedarB : 26th August 2014 at 10:08.
KedarB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:13   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
the VDi unit is actually a single din unit, with a bigger face fitted on top (saw this when the unit was taken out ), while the ZDi unit is a proper double din unit.
And this is exactly how the VDi HU looks when removed. I am not sure how much the inside part matters here when it comes to 1-DIN or 2-DIN.
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-hu-removed01.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:20   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And this is exactly how the VDi HU looks when removed. I am not sure how much the inside part matters here when it comes to 1-DIN or 2-DIN.
Completely agree with you. I just thought the ZDi HU might have a bigger in-built amplifier than VDi, but couldn't confirm this.

ZDi also come with to tweeters extra, in addition to the four speakers in the doors

I also found the buttons on the ZDi unit better. They are soft press and has better tactile feedback. The VDi unit buttons are very hard to press. Just an observation.
KedarB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 09:13   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Ok here are the pics you requested. I have captured how it looks on the HU screen and how it looks from outside just to give you an idea of the distance and the lighting conditions

These are night time shots, taken approx at 8 or 8:30 PM
Thank you Kedar for taking the pictures of the reverse camera and posting them here, appreciate your efforts. The in camera pictures along with the outside pictures give a clear idea of the actual distance between the two cars and its projection in camera.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:11   #2008
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Kedar for taking the pictures.
So AI, what is current development and status of your car purchase?

Ertiga or Mobilio or Used Innova?

Anurag.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:48   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So AI, what is current development and status of your car purchase?

Ertiga or Mobilio or Used Innova?

Anurag.
Hey Anurag, yesterday I was fortunate enough to test drive the used Innova that I am considering. The car in question is in such a pristine condition, that it was hard to believe that it has already done 57K kms. It has been so well maintained that one could easily get deceived for the odo to be not more than 20K kms. I took a test drive for 6-7 kms. The driving and seating comfort is simply unmatched. The biggest test was slotting the car in my apartment parking and as expected, it was a herculean task. The Innova simply refused to go when driven straight in. The driver then told me the trick to slot it in reverse and voila it was a breeze, he was so correct. I guess with practice I can perfect the art of reverse parking.

This car will be put on the block in the next two months (Oct to be precise), when it will be completing three years. When probed about the asking price, I was told that it would be in the range of 8.5 lakhs to 9 lakhs. That is hard to believe (though music to my ears), because when I checked out TBHP Used car price calculator it said Rs. 10.42 - Rs. 11.26 lakh if buying privately for same vintage car.

If quoted 9 lakhs or thereabouts then there will be no thinking twice and I will straightaway seal the deal. However if it inches closer to 10 lakhs or above, then Ertiga becomes a strong contender as in the same price I would be getting a brand new car with 2+2 years warranty, satisfying 95% of my needs. I am not considering Mobilio at all as I have a strong feeling that the Innova is too eager to get into my garage. Fingers tightly crossed now. October will decide my fate.
Old 1st September 2014, 12:48   #2010
BHPian

Hi
can you please give more details on RAT deterrent treatment being done to your car. I have tried many solutions including the Ultrasonic Sensors but nothing worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
30K Service done today at Thanawala motors in Thane.

Service cost is 14xx INR only plus taxes. Got some additionals like RAT deterrent treatment and small consumable replacements.

Oil (bought from 99 RPM) cost me INR 3K. Total paid to MSM including consumables was INR 2.9K, leading to a total of 5.9K for the complete activity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks