Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 14:41   #2161
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

So back after a brief sojourn and here are my Ertiga woes!

I had a lengthy discussion with Parag on the rear seat rattle. He suggested keeping the left rear seat recliner a bit farther than the right one. Yes, this settles the rattle to some extent. But, the sound worsens when driven on potholed roads. It’s literally earth shattering.

I guess I have made the biggest mistake of shifting from a Fiesta 1.6 to Ertiga. I know Maruti is known for rattling, but not to this extent. I had the oppurtunity to test drive Mobilio Petrol version and there was not a single rattling noise from anywhere in the cabin!

Request to the mods – Can you please include Bad roads in your test drives and review session to check the rattle noise? Not sure if this is already included in your drives!
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 15:44   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

I had a lengthy discussion with Parag on the rear seat rattle. He suggested keeping the left rear seat recliner a bit farther than the right one. Yes, this settles the rattle to some extent. But, the sound worsens when driven on potholed roads. It’s literally earth shattering.

I guess I have made the biggest mistake of shifting from a Fiesta 1.6 to Ertiga. I know Maruti is known for rattling, but not to this extent. I had the oppurtunity to test drive Mobilio Petrol version and there was not a single rattling noise from anywhere in the cabin!

Request to the mods – Can you please include Bad roads in your test drives and review session to check the rattle noise? Not sure if this is already included in your drives!
I think this is included in every official review, as the suspension & ride quality needs to be checked, which is important aspect of any review.
Coming to the rattling testing, its difficult to gauge/determine rattling on a new Car which is provided for the review. Rattling normally comes after some heavy use, and that's the reason why ownership reviews are important. It throws the light on performance of vehicle in longer run (includes rattling).
I agree that Maruti cars are more rattle prone than say a German ones, but these Japanese carmakers produce reliable car if not sturdy/good built cars. So the choice is ours which one to select

IMHO, every 5+ seater vehicle (MPV/MUV/SUV etc) will rattle more than a 4 or 5 seater (hatch/sedans etc), so one should not directly compare between them.

The Mobilio, you test drove, should be a new one so I'm not surprised to know that it didn't have any rattling. Ertiga is built better than Mobilio (referring our official reviews), and if Ertiga rattles, normally mobilio should
Aficionados is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 16:33   #2163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

First Row - Slides + Reclines
Second Row - Slides + Reclines + Splits
Third Row - Folds

I managed to fix most of it by doing what I suggest right here in this thread.

I blamed my seat cover fella for not torquing the Torx bolts on the sliders and the pivots. I tightened them to certain extent and the rattle is fully arrested now.

In fact, if you pull the headrests of the 2nd row or 3rd row and drive on bad roads, you can notice them vibrate (Specially when you turn off the Engine) and I guess this is absolutely normal.

More importantly, since you are referring to Fiesta here, it is a totally different case altogether. The second row of Fiesta can be referred to as Fixed whereas 2nd and 3rd rows of Ertiga are not - No Back support where it can rest on a rigid surface you see. Plus, no hook type mechanism on either C or D pillars to hold the top most part of the seats so arrest such shakes.

Basically for 2nd and 3rd row, the seat backs are supported only at the base and nothing else. For this, I do expect little bit of shaking but not to the extent that I had to worry about.

May be you can drive to Bangalore some time and compare that to my Ertiga .

EDIT - Do check the noise from the top portion as well where the Rear AC unit is placed. Many customers have complained about this noise and MASS removed the complete ceiling fabric, places a packing/cushioning material between the AC Unit and the Top roof to fix this.

To ascertain whether you have noise from the AC Blower unit, just make a fist and hit right below the AC Blower unit and you can listen to the rattle. Luckily so far, I haven't faced this issue and even if I do, I will indeed go the DIY way to fix it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th January 2015 at 16:37.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 14:41   #2164
BHPian

Very good point Parag. When I press on the fabric near the rear A/C vent, while sitting on the driver seat, I hear a strange sound, and i get a similar sound when the rear wheel goes over the speed breaker. May be, during the next service, I need to ask the Kalyani guys to take a look at this.

Somehow, these guys are very reluctant to even try to understand what the problem is.

Regards
Suhas
Old 30th January 2015, 14:50   #2165
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
First Row - Slides + Reclines
Second Row - Slides + Reclines + Splits
Third Row - Folds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Very good point Parag. When I press on the fabric near the rear A/C vent, while sitting on the driver seat, ...
Its now 2 years and 5 months to my ertiga and no rattles or squeaks at all.

If it is the seat/ rails, ensure the bolts are tightened right. There is plastic cladding under the seats as well, check if the clip on any has broken. If so, the plastic piece will need replacement.

Have you added any aftermarket stuff like speakers etc? Perhaps some plugs/ fasteners got skipped or dislocated during travel, you may want to check that as well.

Have you stored anything in the rear hidden compartment or is the jack expanded sufficiently to not make noise? I keep the car cover in the compartment to prevent noise.

These are just some points that can cause noise. Your cause may vary, could even be the mid-ac unit noise that has been found by some users.

Note: Post delivery, we had removed and refitted all the seats, securing them properly, this could be a factor in our specific case.

Last edited by latentpotential : 30th January 2015 at 14:51.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 16:07   #2166
Team-BHP Support

Here are some more images of the Ertiga facelift. The car is expected to be launched in June 2015.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga2.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga1.jpg

Source: GaadiWaadi
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 17:42   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

The current version is far far better. Looks like Maruti is taking their new "family look" very seriously.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 21:03   #2168
BHPian

This is going the Toyota Innova way with the hideous chrome grill!

I expected Maruti to make considerable changes to the front and more importantly the bland rear. But who am I kidding! Its after all Maruti here!They just launched a sticker job version of the Swift and called it a Windsong something version. From the above picture, it seems that they have not even changed the impractical beige steering wheel.

We really need someone like Hyundai to enter this segment and raise the benchmark. There is also a big opportunity for Tata if they can extend the Zest platform for a flexi 7 seater.
trek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 14:35   #2169
BHPian

This makes the current gen Ertiga super awesome! Not as hideous at the 2014 Innova, but still a strong contender for Runner-ups of messed up originals award :P

Why this angular grill? Celerio has it now the Ertiga ? Personally, I dint like the look of it.
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:51   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Not that bad guys. We need to get more details before we start firing guns. I guess it will look better in actual. I am sure MSIL will put some more features in the new model along with more refined engines. Waiting eagerly for all details.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 18:05   #2171
Distinguished - BHPian

Ertiga 2015 to get 2 new trims Vdi+/Vxi+ & Zdi+/Zxi+ , Z+ trim will offer Smartplay , Reverse parking sensors , Push start button & I-Key entry.

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-b9fe7xcceaaoik5.jpg

http://www.gaadiwaadi.com/Upcoming_C...=Ertiga%202015

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th February 2015 at 18:13.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:37   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ertiga 2015 to get 2 new trims Vdi+/Vxi+ & Zdi+/Zxi+ , Z+ trim will offer Smartplay , Reverse parking sensors , Push start button & I-Key entry.

Attachment 1336700

http://www.gaadiwaadi.com/Upcoming_C...=Ertiga%202015
Even though I am not a great fan of chrome work, that chrome strip with Ertiga embedded on it (like Renault cars) on the rear of Ertiga would look good and may break the plain looking rear. Off-course, same does not hold true for the front chrome grill, which does not look any better than existing one or the one on 2nd anniversary edition
Old 7th February 2015, 16:22   #2173
BHPian

So no 1.6 after all?
Old 7th February 2015, 16:56   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I hope the VDi+ trim will offer airbags like Ciaz at a lower price point than ZDi.
Also what will happen to the LDi variant?
Old 8th February 2015, 02:15   #2175
BHPian

I am facing an issue on my two month old ertiga. Issue is that roof has slightly depressed at one of the ribs on top. Basically how I came to know was that water gets collected when I wash the roof. Now some background, I had installed a carrier a really nice black aluminium one from local accessory shop. These guys did shoddy job as the lower clamp on roof came out. Got that tighten and went to out station journey with family and full luggage on top. Journey was good , when I unloaded I saw that carrier had moved at least 4 inches from original position. Long story short when coming back I tightened clamps back in place and drove at 80 km/h. Issue remained the same, I went back and returned carrier.

Now I clearly remember not touching roof any way by myself or the guys who fixed carrier. Is it possible that the depression in middle of roof is due to carrier. When clearly nothin touched there.

Or is it some random design flaw maruti needs to look in.

Appreciate it response.

Most Viewed