Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:07   #2341
BHPian

Ertiga's Pathetic Build quality

Hi All,

I believe few Ertiga owners out here might have read my rants on the Rattling issues in my Ertiga in the other thread.

Now, there's a new issue in my vehicle now.

The rear passengers can now take a sneak peak into rear A/C

Yes, while I was on my way to drop my son at his school, I hear a loud thud behind my seat.

Then my son alerts me saying 'Appa A/C keezha vizhunthirichu'
- English Translation 'A/C has fallen down'.

I dropped him at his school and took a quick look into the panel and the vents. It looks like there's only one press type holder that holds the entire A/C vent.

Maruti! Such a shoddy build quality. I understand rattles, but this is certainly not acceptable at all

The first and the second picture were taken at home just before my travel and the last picture was taken after the A/C vents came out!

I could have very well informed MASS folks on this and got it rectified. But, I wanted to post this in the forum for the benefit of others.

And, all this from a 1.5 years old car. Sigh!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-wp_20150723_001.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-wp_20150723_003.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-wp_20150723_004.jpg  

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 23rd July 2015 at 12:17.
Prodigy07 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:21   #2342
BHPian

Re: Ertiga's Pathetic Build quality

That's so sad to have this happen on a 1.5 yr old vehicle. Maruti is known for it's poor build quality.

I hope you can get this repaired without any issues.
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:36   #2343
BHPian

My brother owns a Swift Dzire which was parked in his society. Some children were riding bicycles. One of them lost control and fell on the parked Dzire. The left handle of the bicycle touched the body of the car and caused a big dent on the fender of the car. He called his insurance guy who was simply not ready to accept that the big dent has been caused by a child's bicycle. Lol
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:45   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Shoddy to say the least but will take ASC just a couple of minutes to get it in place.

From the pics, it just looks the grille and not the unit per se as mentioned earlier though
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:10   #2345
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprising! I have till now removed the AC Vent on 2 occasions and have managed to fit it back precisely without breaking anything and the Vent remains in place.

Few months back I was wanting to figure out what was causing infrequent crackling noise from the rear AC Unit and one day I removed the complete roof lining and accessed the AC Unit.

To my knowledge, in case you have asked the ASC to attend your Ertiga to fix the infamous rear AC Rattle, I suspect they may have not paid attention to the final fitting.

As for now, I loosened all the bolts holding the Rear AC Unit, and through the gaps between the Roof and AC Unit, I inserted rolls made by cutting Yoga mat strips. The Noise is completely arrested although it was never so severe in my case but was irritating few times.

No DIY Thread for this as I took very less photos as I was sitting in a cramped location with all the tools and while I did this Solo.

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20150501_123311.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20150501_124301.jpg

On Build Quality - Well, I have to agree with you. I don't even need to compare the Ertiga with any other Manufacturer when my 2006 WagonR will do. Right from the Door Pads to Dash to Seats, most of the interiors are made of thicker gauge material while the plastics of Ertiga's Door pads and seats feel so thin.

However, I have noticed that this has been the trend with most new cars these days when you compare the older models from the same manufacturer.

After I did this riskiest of DIY by removing almost 3/4th of the roof line, I am happy that everything fit precisely well back in place and there are zero hints to know if anything was opened at all. In fact, no wrinkles on the roof lines which the ASCs would almost assure you. After all, DIY will always be complemented by a lot of TLC when in progress.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2015 at 13:00. Reason: As requested
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:10   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

To my knowledge, in case you have asked the ASC to attend your Ertiga to fix the infamous rear AC Rattle, I suspect they may have not paid attention to the final fitting.

No DIY Thread for this as I took very less photos as I was sitting in a cramped location with all the tools and while I did this Solo.
Wow, wonderful DIY there Parag

I don't remember asking MASS folks to remove the roof lining before!

MSM road service team came to my office couple of minutes back to check this issue. I had given them a call in the morning. They inspected the issue and have applied some glue between the A/C panel and the roof lining.

Then, they fixed the rear A/C vents. But, there's still some gap left between the vents and the roof. So, they have asked me to bring the vehicle to their workshop during the weekend.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:29   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
MSM road service team came to my office couple of minutes back to check this issue. I had given them a call in the morning. They inspected the issue and have applied some glue between the A/C panel and the roof lining.

Then, they fixed the rear A/C vents. But, there's still some gap left between the vents and the roof. So, they have asked me to bring the vehicle to their workshop during the weekend.
By your explanation my suspicion has turned into confirmation that it is indeed the folks from MASS who have ensured the vent cover fell off that way.

I was more than confident when I posted my response that something might have surely gone wrong. I mentioned that I removed the same cover twice, first to assess if I can proceed with the DIY at all and second time for the actual DIY.

In fact, the vent cover fits so tight on the roof lining that it requires a good effort to pull it off from there and you may need to insert a flat object to release the same.

I am going on a 3 day long drive this weekend else I may have surely removed the Vent cover again and would have pointed the exact places where the vent has clips and how it fits through the roof lining and below the AC unit.

On the AC Noise: Well, this is a known issue and MASS fixes this but I didn't want them to do it as it involves the following procedure that I figured out myself on one of the Sundays when I wanted to get to the roots of this problem-
  • Remove Sun Visors from Driver and Co-passenger side
  • Remove IRVM
  • Remove Roof Lamp Housing
  • Remove 3 Grab Handles on roof - Co-passenger, Second row Left and Right
  • Pull the AC Vent Cover, disconnect the coupler behind it that is linked to rotary Switch
  • Open all 4 Doors, Wide
  • One by one, pull out the Rubber beeding(Weather Strip) from all 4 sides
  • By doing so the Room lining will move down (Like you see in the pic)
  • Then you carefully remove the roof lining behind the plastic on B Pillars
  • Remove Head-restraints from both front seats and bend the back down (Ahead)
  • Recline the rear seats to max too
  • This will ensure the roof lining which is not completely removed sags down to the lowest and offers enough room to access the rear AC Unit

On the Noise and the fixing:
  • The Rear AC Unit is a simple metal box (Cooling coil) covered with Bakelite material all over
  • This is held to the roof by 4 Bolts on all 4 corners
  • The weight of this unit itself along with the width makes it support-less in the central area (As its held only on 4 corners and nothing in center)
  • Hence, whenever you pass over potholes or undulations this plastic covering expands and contracts resulting crackling noise
  • All you do now is carefully loosen all 2 bolts close enough that the Unit doesn't get dislocated and when you notice the gap created above the unit, you can place any damping material like Thermocol or stiffer Rubber material like bundles of Yoga Mat strips like I did

Repeat the above procedure in reverse order and fix everything back.

Please ensure MASS folks do this job with clean hands else your roof lining will need a 3M job .

I was sitting with a bottle of Sanitizer and cloth that I often wiped my hand the moment I felt they were dirty enough to spoil the roof lining.

Lastly - Like any other ASC, even MASS would not love to dedicate their staff to fix something like this and they may as well deny doing all that I mentioned. After all, ASCs exists for "Serving by Servicing" and not for Issue resolution.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd July 2015 at 17:31.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:49   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
By your explanation my suspicion has turned into confirmation that it is indeed the folks from MASS who have ensured the vent cover fell off that way.
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Parag Bhai

I will surely visit MSM this weekend and show them your DIY process to get the roof lining/AC rattling issues fixed.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 23rd July 2015 at 17:50.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:56   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga facelift caught on camera

A big thank you to Chetan Bhardwaj for sharing these pictures. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-1-2.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-2.jpg

The Ertiga facelift is likely to be displayed in Indonesia next month and more details on it can be found in our Team-BHP news article.

Last edited by S2!!! : 27th July 2015 at 12:01.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:15   #2350
@KP
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Is this the new facelift version or the Paseo Limited Edition?

Am willing to bet that the interiors look beige-ish only
Old 27th July 2015, 14:32   #2351
BHPian

2015 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga launch scheduled for 3rd week of October?

http://gaadiwaadi.com/scoop-2015-mar...ctober-111647/
Old 29th July 2015, 10:33   #2352
BHPian

Looking forward to the face lift. Maruti will get my money if this one is equipped with Navigation and Auto Gear Shift.

Does anyone have info on the possibilities ?

Last edited by TaurusAl : 29th July 2015 at 10:34.
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:40   #2353
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are more details of the 'face lift' Ertiga as seen to test. Expect a Festive launch - Oct/Nov

Speculated changes,

•Increase in fuel efficiency
•New twin-slat chrome front grille and Bumpers
•New Z+ & V+ trim
•Engine start / stop button
•Optional Leather seat upholstery
•Smart play stereo system

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-marutisuzukiertiga2015spiedtesting1.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-marutisuzukiertiga2015spiedtesting4.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-marutisuzukiertiga2015spiedtesting7e1438431565454.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-marutisuzukiertiga2015spiedtesting8.jpg

http://gaadiwaadi.com/2016-maruti-su...ctober-091821/
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:16   #2354
BHPian

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here are more details of the 'face lift' Ertiga as seen to test. Expect a Festive launch - Oct/Nov

Speculated changes,

•New Z+ & V+ trim
•Smart play stereo

The interior view indicates it has a touch screen and a black dash. The black dash is a welcome change though the steering is still Beige 😁

Last edited by nurni76 : 2nd August 2015 at 17:17.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:30   #2355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Speculated changes,

•New Z+ & V+ trim
•Smart play stereo system

Attachment 1398300
Do I see a projector headlamp in this picture? or it's just a illusion

Most Viewed