Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 11:30   #2746
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

I was looking at Ertiga petrol and diesel versions, and it appears that for Z+ model, the diesel version is expensive by 60k, for Z model, diesel version expensive by 76k and for V model, diesel expensive by 82k based on ex-showroom prices.

The sales rep was telling me that in Hyderabad, we get 13k back from RTO(?) because it is hybrid? is that so? That would bring down price diff b/w ZXI+ & ZDI+ to less than 50k.
Old 28th March 2016, 13:35   #2747
BHPian

Hi Sanchari,
Yes, 13K rebate due to FAME scheme is applicable for Ertiga Diesel(SHVS) as it gets categorized as Smart Hybrid. Its all across India. I got it in Bangalore as well.

Last edited by GetLife : 28th March 2016 at 13:36. Reason: spelling
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 12:12   #2748

Firstly, thanks a ton to the moderators who have approved my membership!!

From early 2011 till late 2015, I owned a 6 year old used Santro Xing XG and was very happy with the nippy engine. Due to the various problems cropping up and a growing family, I started scouting for a new car and zeroed in on the Ertiga.

I became a proud owner of a granite grey Ertiga ZXi in early 2016. As I have been reading posts on team-bhp, I opted for the extended warranty while making the purchase. I have driven it for about 1300+ kms till now.

Whenever I reach a speed of 80 kms, I get a subtle vibration sound. During the visit to the ASS, the technician mentioned that the Ertiga's rear A/C unit has a problem of rattling due to improper packing/fitting in the company and they have been receiving this complaint in the older version also. Though the A/C problem was sorted out, the vibration sound whenever I touch the 80 kms/hr mark comes back. Any idea what it is?
Old 31st March 2016, 13:52   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navlur View Post
Whenever I reach a speed of 80 kms, I get a subtle vibration sound. I touch the 80 kms/hr mark comes back. Any idea what it is?
Can you give more details of this sound? Like from where the sound comes? What happens when you pick up speed? (Sound increase, decrease or stays the same)? Do you feel the vibrations on your steering wheel or pedals?

Some of the old ertigas produce a wind noise above 80kmph from right side mirror area, but I thought Maruti fixed that issue already.
Old 31st March 2016, 15:37   #2750

Arjithin...Its very difficult to drive for 80+ speed in Mumbai for a long time and I haven't had a chance to take the car out for a looong drive.
So, I have tried but failed to identify the source of this sound. The sound is very subtle and hard to pick if there is a lot of noise (audio, passenger-chatting) in the car. There are no vibrations felt.

Unfortunately, the car is in the ASS as I type to get a dent-paint job done. Once it is through, I am planning a trip to Belgaum and hopefully will be able to identify the source of this "humming".
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160329_220706655.jpg  

Old 31st March 2016, 17:20   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whenever I reach a speed of 80 kms, I get a subtle vibration sound. During the visit to the ASS, the technician mentioned that the Ertiga's rear A/C unit has a problem of rattling due to improper packing/fitting in the company and they have been receiving this complaint in the older version also. Though the A/C problem was sorted out, the vibration sound whenever I touch the 80 kms/hr mark comes back. Any idea what it is?
Have you done wheel balancing and alignment? That could be a reason as this usually crops up at those speeds.
Old 31st March 2016, 17:31   #2752

swiftdiesel... wheel balancing and alignment for a 2 month old car with 1000 kms??
Old 31st March 2016, 18:16   #2753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
swiftdiesel... wheel balancing and alignment for a 2 month old car with 1000 kms??
Yes, many cars have shoddy alignment right out of the showroom. It's better to check and count it out.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 18:25   #2754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I reach a speed of 80 kms, I get a subtle vibration sound.
1. When at 80KMPH, assess traffic and safety around and slot into neutral and check if noise persists - This will rule out bearings or anything related to Gearbox

2. Try to drive at 80 kmph in both the gears (4th & 5th) to assess if the noise is same. At times 80 in 5th Gear when you are still picking up speed (Not quickly) creates a vibration due to lower RPM.

3. Turn the AC ON/OFF and check if the noise changes - Could be the compressor related noise as well

4. A wrongly balanced wheel will first develop wobble that you can easily feel on the steering/Pedals but generally between 95-110 kmph range & its generally not noise but jarring feel.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 12:59   #2755
BHPian

Friends, Any of you, who have installed projectors in headlight , can please share the photos of it and the beam pattern.
Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 14:11   #2756
BHPian

I found Ertiga very sluggish on very steep inclines [ Grade 8-10% ]. If we lose acceleration it stalls and need to floor the accelerator to start from 0 speed.

I was driving a petrol Fiesta earlier and used to breeze on uphill drives.

Any changes in driving style for Ertiga ? Is 89 BHP less if the car has 6 passengers ?
Old 11th April 2016, 14:28   #2757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
I found Ertiga very sluggish on very steep inclines [ Grade 8-10% ].
The Ertiga, especially the Diesel wont really like that.

Takes a while to understand the behavior and tackle that. I had to tackle one last year and indeed came out happy.Revs less than 2000 while you are climbing is a strict no-no. The pedal needs to be used very gently so that RPMs do not shoot up so much to cause a wheel spin or lose traction or drop down so low that it begs for the Turbo to help.

I have mentioned this episode on on my ownership report thread here.

Quote:
If we lose acceleration it stalls and need to floor the accelerator to start from 0 speed.
Flooring is not at all required. Just the right way to use the revs and release your clutch will do. The coordination will come from experience.

Quote:
No comparison here at all. A Petrol Fiesta with that 1.6 Engine and a Diesel with a 1.3 (and the lag).

Quote:
Any changes in driving style for Ertiga ? Is 89 BHP less if the car has 6 passengers ?
Just one - Change the way you think that it will perform like the Fiesta. It certainly won't.

89BHP is less only when you do 100 to 40 and then need to gain speeds in the same gear. Else, with the right RPMs, the right gear this has not mattered much. After all, you don't want to do 0-100 in under 10 seconds on a people mover.

Having said that, on a highway with 6 Adults, the power and torque to sustain good triple digit speeds is no bi deal at all.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 07:43   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
I found Ertiga very sluggish on very steep inclines [ Grade 8-10% ]. If we lose acceleration it stalls and need to floor the accelerator to start from 0 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Takes a while to understand the behavior and tackle that. I had to tackle one last year and indeed came out happy.Revs less than 2000 while you are climbing is a strict no-no. The pedal needs to be used very gently so that RPMs do not shoot up so much to cause a wheel spin or lose traction or drop down so low that it begs for the Turbo to help.
What Parag has mentioned is spot on . You will first have to understand the characteristics (strengths and weaknesses) of the 1.3 DDis. In the ghats/ inclines you need ample torque to pull the car. As you are aware that the torque (200 Nm) peaks at 2000 rpm, never let the rpm fall below that range. Now how can you do that?

When you are climbing up and anticipate traffic or curve ahead and you have to slow down, don't apply brakes. Instead downshift (may be from 3rd to 2nd). This will ensure that the rpm shoots up and you are in the turbo zone. A slight push on the accelerator and you are ready to go.

Also another trick is do minimum gear changes when you are climbing a ghat. Stick to the 2nd or 3rd gear while climbing up. The moment you try to upshift, the rpm will fall below the turbo zone and the car will struggle to pick up the momentum.

The real test of your driving skills will come into picture when you come to a dead stop on an incline. There is always a fear of roll-back. You will have to use the handbrake to hold the car in position and prevent it from rolling back, engage first gear, slowly release the clutch pedal and simultaneously press the accelerator. When the car seems to be pulling ahead, gently release the handbrake and you will move forward. Be prepared to get some burning smell as you will have to generously slip the clutch to move ahead.

I think with some more driving in the ghats you will get used to the behavior of this engine and will be able to extract the maximum out of it.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 12th April 2016 at 07:44.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:57   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bulbs: H4, Philips Rally, 100/90w
Relay & Wiring Kit: Hella, Roots, Philips, Thimson (All are good enough)

Philips Rally will only come in 100/90 configuration (and if I know, 100/130w also) and they are not a direct fit and will need the above relay Kit.

Philips xtreme vision on the other hand are stock replacement bulbs which are direct fit by removing the existing bulbs as they are of the same wattage as stock bulbs (60/55w).

Between the 2, option 1 is my recommendation based on my usage so far. It certainly improves the visibility and throw due to the additional wattage while xtreme vision will only improve this marginally at almost same or little more price only for the bulbs.

1.Philips Rally + Kit = 1200-1400 INR all inclusive
2.Philips xtreme Vision = Around 1200-1400 for a Pair of Bulbs

So, in case the Bulb fuses in case of 1, you spend 250-300 for each Bulb and in case of 2, you will spend 600-700 for a bulb.

I find that the 100/90 Rally bulbs are not available online and those available are not from good vendors. 130/100 is available. will these damage the reflector in the long run ? Your inputs please Parag
Old 15th April 2016, 13:06   #2760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
I find that the 100/90 Rally bulbs are not available online and those available are not from good vendors.
This is a seller who I bought mine for the WagonR recently and that too just one bulb and it was Original

You can buy online from here. A good seller as I have purchased a lot of items specially for my ICE Install from him.

Quote:
130/100 is available. will these damage the reflector in the long run ? Your inputs please Parag
Overkill and will certainly damage on long run. Stick to 100/90.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed