Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 22:55   #2896
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Hi Arjithin

The dealer person quoted 23k for 4 alloys of ertiga. After asking why not 5 the answer he gave me by pointing to a Ciaz that all cars get the spare tyre with steel rim and not alloy which I doubt for ertiga zxi or zxi+.
So I prefer to wait until the original tyres worn out and I go for tyre replacement. Will change with tyre upgrade and alloys. As of now the deal appears to be going out of my budget.
By the way I have given the Lxi wheel center cap part number suggested by you to the dealer person. At the car delivery time he might order it. Will ask one set for you as well.

Regards

Last edited by rajivtelang : 2nd October 2016 at 23:03.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:53   #2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

The reasons that you choose Ertiga were the reasons I had - long journey, diesel engine, good GC, flexibility and of course reliability. For me the word reliability was supreme. I was ready to cut a cheque for XUV 5oo but the niggles took this potential customer away. Aria was in the horizon for a few hours only. Read the numerous horror stories on them both and we are a happier lot.

Maruti vehicles (and you of course are yourself a long termer) are reliable, easy on the wallet and the Ertiga makes a strong case for itself. The other very reliable vehicle is Innova. Though priced much higher but that vehicle also makes a strong case on reliability.

Rajain
Sorry to break the bubble here but my ownership experience with the Ertiga was far from what is the perception of the Maruti brand. The Ertiga diesel gearbox is badly designed and faces a major problem slotting from 3rd gear to 2nd. This is the well-known synchronizer issue and is extremely costly to repair. Even after repairs, it returns. You can find out more in a complete thread for this on Team-BHP where many have complained. I hope this does not happen to you. Please ensure that your gearbox is properly cared for and do not over strain the synchronizer by slotting from 3rd to 2nd in the wrong RPMs.
Old 5th October 2016, 13:26   #2898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaniax View Post
Please ensure that your gearbox is properly cared for and do not over strain the synchronizer by slotting from 3rd to 2nd in the wrong RPMs.
That is strange indeed. There could be multiple reasons apart from just the caring of gearbox. As you say, the issue is with the Gearbox. So there should be no question of slotting it right or wrong. If so, all the cars will face this problem. Since the Sync rings are the issue here, the blame to put is entirely on the Gearbox.

I got this for the first time at 97,000 kms. Got this replaced out of my own pocket including a fresh clutch plate which was also stock. I am extremely careful when it come to changing gear, generally. So Ertiga wasn't any different for me. I believe that the passengers in your car should not get a hint that you have changed gears and that is exactly how one should drive unless he is racing.

Did that issue make me lose temper - Well yes as it was highly irritating in traffic. Did the cost of replacing these rings along with a healthy clutch made me unhappy - Yes again.

Will this issue crop up again - I am not sure, it can happen as I have seen cases where these were replaced again in under Warranty for many.

Apart from this, the only other issue I had was the noise from the Steering rack after 50,000 kms and that was addressed within Warranty.

So far So good - No other issues faced till date whatsoever and not even an instance where this had left me stranded on a highway. To tell you a fact, I have driven it continuously for 27 Hours with usual short pit stops and like it mainly for its highway cruising, space, practicality and flexibility and above all, car like driving manners.

Keeping everything apart, the Synchronizer Ring issue is a huge one. Has affected so many owners and not just limited to Ertiga but Swift, Dzire and as I learn the SX4 as well & Maruti is very well aware of it.

What I think is that they are complacent of the fact that if issue crops up, it will mostly be under warranty or extended warranty and customers will not make noise and by the time the issue recurs again, the owner might have sold his car and the one facing it will not be as frustrated as the first owner with 2 or more episodes of such failures will be.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 16:06   #2899
BHPian

Parag, You have summarized the synchronizer ring issue perfectly.

In fact I was very keen to buy an Ertiga as a replacment for our Bolero but didn't do so because of my heavy running of 40k kms per year. I had spoken to a very good friend of ours who is the GM service of a major Maruti dealer at TN. He explained that 1.3 DDiS has always had few issues in the long run and the most prominent being the gear-box one. Knowing our requirement, he said it may not suit us, mainly keeping our durability expectation of 250k+ kms.

It seems Maruti is well aware of this issue. That is why service stations are prompt to honor warranty without asking any question in regard to abusive driving. The majority of Maruti customers are people who use their cars on an average 10-15k kms per year, mainly city drives with less stress to cars/ not much terrains or continuous runs. So in these cases, many people never face the gearbox issue in their ownership. The second owner faces it but he thinks that a second-hand car is prone to give issues and moves on.

The crowd of people who tend to understand this problem as a design issue and face it multiple times are a small fraction, hence I guess Maruti doesn't bother about this. As long as sales is not dropping, there may not be much improvements on this

Apart from the diesel drivetrain, Ertiga is a brilliant package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Keeping everything apart, the Synchronizer Ring issue is a huge one. Has affected so many owners and not just limited to Ertiga but Swift, Dzire and as I learn the SX4 as well & Maruti is very well aware of it.

What I think is that they are complacent of the fact that if issue crops up, it will mostly be under warranty or extended warranty and customers will not make noise and by the time the issue recurs again, the owner might have sold his car and the one facing it will not be as frustrated as the first owner with 2 or more episodes of such failures will be.
Herbie98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 12:10   #2900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post

The crowd of people who tend to understand this problem as a design issue and face it multiple times are a small fraction, hence I guess Maruti doesn't bother about this. As long as sales is not dropping, there may not be much improvements on this
I have chatted about this issue with various Ertiga taxi drivers who have clocked more than 2L kms on their vehicles. Each one had faced the problem 3-4 times in the lifespan of the vehicle. One was adamant that the clutch has nothing to do with the issue and never got his clutch replaced. But all of them knew that Ertiga diesels have this 'defect'. One showed me in sheer frustration how he has started to change gears like a truck on the vehicle.

My theory as to why Maruti doesn't bother about this issue is that nobody knows about it while buying the vehicle. Also, it generates a lot of easy money for the service centers. The onus of educating the general public on this issue lies with forums like these who are referenced by gullible consumers before parting with their hard-earned money. I propose modifying the main post in the Ertiga reviews to list down 'Known gearbox synchronizer issue with repeated costly repairs' in the 'cons' sections.

Last edited by motomaniax : 7th October 2016 at 12:13.
Old 7th October 2016, 12:20   #2901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have chatted about this issue with various Ertiga taxi drivers who have clocked more than 2L kms on their vehicles.
I really doubt a Taxi driver knowingly will retain the car if the issue had cropped up 3-4 times in 2 Lac Kms. By then they would get rid of it and pick something else.

Quote:
One showed me in sheer frustration how he has started to change gears like a truck on the vehicle.
No you really cannot! The gear wont slot in no matter what you do unless you either shift up or down to another (unintended) gear and then slot into your desired gear.

Changing gears like a truck is not the way or rather never the way. It only shows they are typical taxi fellas. I see them changing from 1-2-3-4-5 in under 40 KMPH on these vehicles when the whole car vibrating due to lugging. Few things you just cannot teach them.

Quote:
My theory as to why Maruti doesn't bother about this issue is that nobody knows about it while buying the vehicle.
Few make decision to buy and few don't. Those who make a purchase are aware what is in store for them.

Honestly, I never did but when it happened with me, I was frustrated, although momentarily. In few days all the other positives ensured I forgot this issue. Will I get frustrated again? May be not, as my mind is prepared now. For all that I saved with long life of rest of the components like Pads/Clutch/Tires, I can consider spending it for this, if issue recurs.

Quote:
Also, it generates a lot of easy money for the service centers. The onus of educating the general public on this issue lies with forums like these who are referenced by gullible consumers before parting with their hard-earned money. I propose modifying the main post in the Ertiga reviews to list down 'Known gearbox synchronizer issue with repeated costly repairs' in the 'cons' sections.
There is a thread, detailed one with experiences shared by many - Right here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-failure.html

If you think you want to do something about it & knock the doors of the higher ups at MSIL, I can assure you support from all of us here with whatever inputs you need.

I for one is not worried to be honest as I am half hopeful that it won't happen again (My first time was 97,000) and the other half on the fact that if it happens again, I know how much I will have to spend.

To start with, need to know how many Ertigas till date after it debuted in India has undergone Sync Rings replacement (In and out of Warranty). Not sure if RTI for Private Bodies is possible unless they are Governed by Public Authorities.

It will be certainly interesting to learn what percentage of these cars - Ertiga, Swift, Dzire, SX4 have faced this issue.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th October 2016 at 12:35.
Old 7th October 2016, 12:32   #2902

Quote:
I really doubt a Taxi driver knowingly will retain the car if the issue had cropped up 3-4 times in 2 Lac Kms. By then they would get rid of it and pick something else.

No you really cannot! The gear wont slot in no matter what you do unless you either shift up or down to another (unintended) gear and then slot into your desired gear.

Changing gears like a truck is not the way or rather never the way. It only shows they are typical taxi fellas. I see them changing from 1-2-3-4-5 in under 40 KMPH on these vehicles when the whole car vibrating due to lugging. Few things you just cannot teach them.
Well, there are taxiwallas who have used the Ertiga for more than 2L km and have not changed their vehicle. I know one in the locality I work in. I can pass you their phone numbers if you wish to speak to them. They get their vehicle serviced and repaired from local mechanics. Yes, I agree you can't teach them the proper way of changing gears. I tried showing one the double clutch blip technique because he was facing the 3rd to 2nd gear slotting issue for the fourth time as a stop-gap measure. But he couldn't get his head around it. .

I am not at all claiming that a different way of gearbox usage will make the issue go away. But it does make me wonder if double clutching in the specific use-case of slotting from 3rd to 2nd even when the gearbox is fully overhauled like in your case would make the defectively designed synchronizer last longer.

Quote:
To start with, need to know how many Ertigas till date after it debuted in India has undergone Sync Rings replacement (In and out of Warranty). Not sure if RTI for Private Bodies is possible unless they are Governed by Public Authorities.
Yes, I agree it is difficult to get this information.

Quote:
If you think you want to do something about it & knock the doors of the higher ups at MSIL, I can assure you support from all of us here with whatever inputs you need.
Thanks for the support and many thanks for all who posted on the synchronizer thread. It was very educational. For me, it's a major irratation because I faced it for the first time at 39K kms under warranty and I am again facing this at 46K kms and I am almost in the mood to replace my car.

Last edited by motomaniax : 7th October 2016 at 12:46.
Old 7th October 2016, 12:53   #2903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, there are taxiwallas who have used the Ertiga for more than 2L km and have not changed their vehicle.
Which only means there are others reasons for them to retain it than worry about the Synchronizer Ring issue or rather, learn to live with it.

A very serious & frequent issue if at all, then I would normally see them parting ways with it than keep spending hard earned money on it.

Quote:
They get their vehicle serviced and repaired from local mechanics.
And that always worries me not for the parts but for the entire workmanship of this job where one needs to open the Gearbox and fit these rings.

And I agree that the labor to replace these rings at the ASC is more than the cost of the Sync rings itself.

Quote:
But it does make me wonder if double clutching in the specific use-case of slotting from 3rd to 2nd even when the gearbox is fully overhauled like in your case would make the defectively designed synchronizer last longer.
Once the Gearbox shows signs of defective sync rings, it only means it will beg for replacement sooner. Double clutching might only push the replacement interval to a later time but won't really solve the issue as you are just using a "workaround" technique to overcome this. At times double clutching also leaves you in troubles in tight situations - Say negotiating a hairpin curve mid way when you slot from 3rd to 2nd or climbing a gradient.

All in all, the issue is not limited to Ertiga now - Its in the Swift, Dzire, Ertiga & SX4 and many owners have reported this happen more than once.

Strangely, This is not THE reason for folks to not consider these cars mainly because the issue get less attention when you have other positives in choosing one of these from their stable.

I seriously think you must knock the doors and see what they have to say and like I said, you will surely get support from most of us including myself.

There are Lakhs and Lakhs of these cars and if maximum junta have faced this issue and still silent about it, it only surprises me that the percentage will really be very small indeed - I can't think of anything else.
Old 8th October 2016, 15:07   #2904

I am also considering booking an Ertiga VDi in the next few days and hence was going through this thread. I had one deterrant only - the light color spoli-prone interiors. But now I am worried about the synchronizer issue, fuss free ownership was the original reason I am inclined towards maruti in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASNAGOUDA View Post
Drive to Chennai (with 5 adults and 2 kids), had a single lane stretch for some 100 odd kms. Ertiga acceleration is very good and overtaking trucks in this stretch was essential and quite comfortable. Temperature outside in Chennai was 35 degrees hot and humid, but inside it was pretty cool with fan speed on 2 or 3. Second row and 3rd row were collapsed for seating/sleeping of 3 adults & 2 kids. Enough spacious in this configuration.
Hi Asnagouda, I am very interested in the aspect you mentioned, laying 2nd and 3rd row flat and a couple of people can sleep on it. Question to you - Is the seat base strong enough to bear the weight when seats are flipped?
GunjanArora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 16:00   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunjanArora View Post
I am also considering booking an Ertiga VDi in the next few days and hence was going through this thread. I had one deterrant only - the light color spoli-prone interiors. But now I am worried about the synchronizer issue, fuss free ownership was the original reason I am inclined towards maruti in the first place.
You don't need to worry about the synchro issue. The same gearbox/engine is used in multiple models like swift, sx4, Ritz, ertiga etc; how many cases of this issue have you heard of ?? Consider that as a percentage of overall sales?

Of course this is a recurring issue which Maruti should look into.

Take extended warranty and that will give you peace of mind.

Quote:
Hi Asnagouda, I am very interested in the aspect you mentioned, laying 2nd and 3rd row flat and a couple of people can sleep on it. Question to you - Is the seat base strong enough to bear the weight when seats are flipped?
It does. Search this forum and you can get a photo of how I used this combination.
But, be aware that it's a very very risky position for someone if the vehicle is moving at high speeds.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 15:59   #2906
BHPian

Just came back from a test drive of Ertiga ZXI+. Four adults in the car, including the Suraksha (e-city) sales rep.
Some notes:
1. Car is silent/refined enough. Tried revving a bit on a relatively open stretch, and got good/expected response.
2. Took it on a rough patch (proper kachha road) after checking with sales rep. We didn't hear any rattles inside the cabin, though my parents in second row did experience the expected shake/tumble but didn't feel uncomfortable as such.
3. Doors seem to close with better sound than my previous Maruti TD experience. Not like my Palio, but pleasantly surprised nevertheless.
4. Boot space!! No boot space at all - or very minimal. I tried peeking under the carpet to take a look at that plastic tray (alluded by some in this thread), but not sure if it is going to help drastically. Proper/careful packing and nature of bags will matter I guess.
5. AC unit was broken on the TD vehicle - so couldn't test either AC. We were feeling a little uncomfortable after a while, so rolled down windows a bit.
6. Couldn't test navigation as "chip" was missing
7. I sat in the second row on the way home as a test, ride was comfortable. This is when I felt the car does not give that upscale/plush feeling. Specifically, I can say two things I noticed which prompted me to think this way: the arm rest in second row isn't as solid as my last ride (not a direct comparison but sorry for succumbing to human nature) & doesn't have cup holders. While casually glancing at the rear doors (second row doors), noticed bland plastic/fabric which doesn't appear high end/plush.
8. Cabin lamp is all the way at the back, not accessible by second row occupants.
9. It wasn't an overly long TD, and I had my parents to accompany me. They were happy with ride comfort, airy cabin, cabin room. The only 'con' they noticed was the tiny boot. They were happy with ingress/egress into the second row seats.
10. No cruise control, auto headlamps, auto wipers - it is known, but again mind tries to compare with my last car. I guess wi-fi is still some years away!!

Waiting period of 1 month (max) as quoted by Suraksha, although he kept saying it'll really depend on color & variant. Price quote for ZXI+ is Rs. 10,95,471. 15K discount this month, plus corporate discount of Rs. 2100. Basic accessories such as floor mats, mud flaps and car care kit will be given. Booking amount of 5K - refundable.

Starting off the car search, I have two choices (or so I think!): Ertiga and BR-V. Getting a BR-V (CVT variant) TD from Dakshin is not going to be easy, going by my attempts so far
Old 13th October 2016, 18:36   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Just came back from a test drive of Ertiga ZXI+.
4. Boot space!! No boot space at all - or very minimal. I tried peeking under the carpet to take a look at that plastic tray (alluded by some in this thread), but not sure if it is going to help drastically. Proper/careful packing and nature of bags will matter I guess.

9. It wasn't an overly long TD, and I had my parents to accompany me. They were happy with ride comfort, airy cabin, cabin room. The only 'con' they noticed was the tiny boot. They were happy with ingress/egress into the second row

Starting off the car search, I have two choices (or so I think!): Ertiga and BR-V. Getting a BR-V (CVT variant) TD from Dakshin is not going to be easy, going by my attempts so far
Hi if your one of the key requirement is boot space I recommend you to go with BRV. My colleague has an ertiga and after looking at BRV his first comment was the boot space is larger than his ertiga which I seconded too.
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:00   #2908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
8. Cabin lamp is all the way at the back, not accessible by second row occupants.
Indeed a drawback I too have noticed as an owner. From the second row its near impossible to stretch yourself and access the second Cabin Lamp. Many occasions where we have ended up using either a Torch or Mobile Flash for immediate requirements.

Quote:
The only 'con' they noticed was the tiny boot.
That boot is no boot at all - At max one can carry only a couple of bags and not really proper luggage.

If you fold the 3rd row, the boot space is more than just good but then you compromise on the leg space for the 2nd row (although not bad at all) and if you retain the 3rd row upright, you can only dump all your luggage on the 3rd row itself.

This post will give you an idea on utilizing the boot space with limited options available

Managing your luggage in the Ertiga

Again, the new Ertiga now comes with split seats for the 3rd Row and results in better space management when you have luggage.

Quote:
For those extra bucks paid and the additional features, more importantly the CVT and the beautiful iVTEC, BRV will be a better choice if your options are limited to Petrol only. Its got much better luggage space even with the 3rd row in use.

If you are looking for an all time 7 Seater, you need to look elsewhere. If you need on occasional 7 Seater - Ertiga makes sense.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th October 2016 at 19:10.
Old 13th October 2016, 21:30   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are looking for an all time 7 Seater, you need to look elsewhere. If you need on occasional 7 Seater - Ertiga makes sense.
Exactly for this reason I chose ertiga. Mostly we are only three travelers and occasionally five. Only during my stay at my native a 7 seater will be in action there and that time there is no luggage.
Honda BRV is much more expensive and the seat comfort is not as good as ertiga. Also the third row is bit low positioned making your knees point to roof.
Will start with my ertiga experience as soon as I get it this month.
Regards

Last edited by rajivtelang : 13th October 2016 at 21:34.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:37   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post

Yes. I also sold my Fusion to True value. So, I had wait till a buyer came by for it, which took quite some time.
Hello Naut,
Since you have moved from the Fusion to the Ertiga, would like to know your perspective on the vehicle. How is the ride quality and overall feedback of the Ertiga when compared to the Fusion? My father is currently considering selling our Fusion+ 1.6 and procuring the Ertiga Vxi Automatic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks