Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 09:58   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
While you can cruise all day in the 120-130 kmph in the Ertiga
Thats very good if you have experienced it first hand.

Quote:
the same cannot be said about the Innova which runs out of breath at 120
Care to enlighten on what basis? Have you driven it consistently all day long at 120+? In fact it can cruise all day long at consistent 130-140 without giving up and utterly stable even on cornering at 130-140. The issue comes up only while stretching its legs upto 150-160 where it gasps for breath but given an empty long stretch it can do that too.

Quote:
and the engine gets loud and boomy.
True.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 16:30   #482
BHPian

IMHO, having driven the same engine 1.3 MJD with VGT on my Manza, the issue seems to do more with turbo lag on the FIAT MJD engine vis.a.vis a much more linear innova engine than the low end torque per se. Though the peak torque of the 1.3MJD VGT is at 1750 rpm, the MJD VGT is unresponsive until 1500 rpm and one needs to keep the engine on the boil by downshifting.

The excellent midrange makes it a good high way cruiser
Old 28th July 2012, 00:55   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never said 150 isn't attainable in an Innova. But my comment was the way it attains that speed. Try driving a Verna/Rapid/Vento and an Innova back to back and you' ll know what I mean. I've seen the Innova's 2.5 D-4D tuned to the rate of 150 bhp in other countries. This engine is no slouch but is bogged down by its lower state of tune and lower power to weight ratio.
Try putting in 8 persons on any of the abovementioned cars and then see if they attain these speeds easily. IMHO it is stretching things a bit too far to compare a sedan's performance to a minivan. Try comparing it to other vehicles in the same class.
Old 28th July 2012, 08:30   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan

Try putting in 8 persons on any of the abovementioned cars and then see if they attain these speeds easily. IMHO it is stretching things a bit too far to compare a sedan's performance to a minivan. Try comparing it to other vehicles in the same class.
Well if you want an apple to apple comparison, here you go: with 7 people on board the XUV500 can easily out do the Innova. Yeah for the 7 seater Fortuner it's a piece of cake! (travelled in one recently). The Chevy Captiva can attain those speeds with less drama. So there you go! Don't have to get offended mate, you can still enjoy your Innova while you wait for your Etios Liva to arrive.
Old 29th July 2012, 22:30   #485
Senior - BHPian

Liked this video review comparison of Innova vis-a-vis Ertiga on various aspects. Quite informative for somebody comparing both and looking for taking decision based upon their standing based on those aspects apart from costing difference.

parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 18:01   #486
BHPian

Looked at Ertiga over the weekend and did not even TD it, after looking at the inside space. 3rd row seating position is definitely better than innova for 2 people, however I'm not sure if it can fit all those airport bags with the 3rd row folded down. The waiting period is another let down - now the sales guy quoted 6+ months for VDI (during my first visit 10 days ago before the Manesar plat incident, he quoted 2 months waiting period for VDI). TD'ed Duster, but again, the quoted waiting period of 4 to 5 months is a let down. Looked at Xylo E9 today (though I ruled it out in the first round due to bad ride quality) as I'm running out of options. It offers good value for money. It ticks all the boxes for me from space and seating configuration point of view. Need to TD it yet. Looks like I have to settle for either Innova or Xylo.

Interestignly, the SE at Maruti was trying to convince me to buy SX4 diesel or Ertiga LXI. Did anyone get new delivery timelines for Ertiga diesel variants, after the Manesar plant incident? I tried to reason with the sales guy on why suddenly the waiting period jumped from 2 months to 6 months for VDI and he was trying to give some vague logic that is not convincing.
Old 30th July 2012, 19:14   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala

Interestignly, the SE at Maruti was trying to convince me to buy SX4 diesel or Ertiga LXI. Did anyone get new delivery timelines for Ertiga diesel variants, after the Manesar plant incident? I tried to reason with the sales guy on why suddenly the waiting period jumped from 2 months to 6 months for VDI and he was trying to give some vague logic that is not convincing.
The Ertiga is produced at the Gurgaon plant and not at Manesar. The last I heard production at Gurgaon plant is normal.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:57   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
The waiting period is another let down - now the sales guy quoted 6+ months for VDI (during my first visit 10 days ago before the Manesar plat incident, he quoted 2 months waiting period for VDI).
When I booked the VDI in the second week after the launch in Bangalore, I was told that the waiting period is 3-4 months. I checked again around 15th May and was told that the waiting time is 5-6 months. Checked again by end of May (when I was told that my Innova is ready) and it was 8-9 months when I decided to call it quits. I am not regretting the decision a bit with the comfort that my new ride gives, but definitely would have opted in, if I had a chance to own it before, for the sake of 5L . Still holding the booking though. Surprisingly (?) never even had a call from the dealer to inform either about the increase in waiting period or any changes on the terms of booking.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:51   #489
BHPian

Well, I've moved to Hyderabad 4 months ago, hence this need for a new car/MPV. I guess I need to update my location details in my T-BHP profile All the quoted wait times are for Ertiga VDI in Hyderabad (at Varun motors and Sai Service, to be precise). I didn't bother to ask for ZDI waiting time, as the SE told during my first visit itself that it is 8 to 9 months. My complaint with Innova is the 3rd row - if I'm paying 16.63 lakhs on-road (hyderabad, for 2.5V variant), I expect a proper 8 seater.

swiftdiesel, when I told the SE that Ertiga is not produced at Manesar, he acknowledged that fact and gave some weird logic, which didn't make much sense to me. His logic is something like, since the production stopped at Manesar, they have more pressure at the other plant to deliver more vehicles for other variants (like Swift et. al.) and hence resulted in more waiting period for Ertiga.
Old 30th July 2012, 23:36   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
Still holding the booking though. Surprisingly (?) never even had a call from the dealer to inform either about the increase in waiting period or any changes on the terms of booking.
Most probably the dealer has by-passed you and given deliveries to other customers! The VDi was and still is (with some dealers) readily available off the shelf. Of course it's the pushy customers that get prioritized at MSIL.
Old 31st July 2012, 20:34   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My complaint with Innova is the 3rd row - if I'm paying 16.63 lakhs on-road (hyderabad, for 2.5V variant), I expect a proper 8 seater.
I am not sure what was the seat positioning when you tested the Innova but I am 181 cms / 81 kg and have traveled in the last row of Innova many times for 200+ km rides. You need to push the backrest of the seat back, slidethe middle row forward a couple inches and pop up the head rest. It is pretty comfortable!
PS : I own a 2.5 V
Buffetfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 02:22   #492
BHPian

My dealer is also repeating the same reason that since Manesar has been locked out and the diesel engine is manufactured there, the deliveries for VDI have also been stopped/delayed.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the MJD being manufactured at a seperate dedicated facility itself?

Is there any way we can check this up with MSL directly?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 1st August 2012, 06:48   #493
BHPian

Quote:

swiftdiesel, when I told the SE that Ertiga is not produced at Manesar, he acknowledged that fact and gave some weird logic, which didn't make much sense to me. His logic is something like, since the production stopped at Manesar, they have more pressure at the other plant to deliver more vehicles for other variants (like Swift et. al.) and hence resulted in more waiting period for Ertiga.
Since MSIL may not get Manesar plant productive for some time, may be MLSI has decided to increase the production of Swift to other plants @ the cost of Ertiga Ritz etc.. I am not sure, but he may have a point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
My dealer is also repeating the same reason that since Manesar has been locked out and the diesel engine is manufactured there, the deliveries for VDI have also been stopped/delayed.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the MJD being manufactured at a seperate dedicated facility itself?

Is there any way we can check this up with MSL directly?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
I was under the impression that MJD is not manufactured by MSIL, those are FIAT engines, and FIAT India delivers it to MSIL. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:49   #494
BHPian

Pollen filter/AC filter in Ertiga

Does Ertiga come with a pollen filter (also called AC filter sometimes. This is a air filter for the air that is circulated into cabin from outside when in fresh air mode). Does it have provision to add one? I looked at the manual but did not find mention of one. I wanted to know how to change it or clean it if there is one (I hope so). SX4 and Swift Dzire both have this AFAIK.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:38   #495
BHPian

Re: Pollen filter/AC filter in Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Does Ertiga come with a pollen filter (also called AC filter sometimes. This is a air filter for the air that is circulated into cabin from outside when in fresh air mode). Does it have provision to add one? I looked at the manual but did not find mention of one. I wanted to know how to change it or clean it if there is one (I hope so). SX4 and Swift Dzire both have this AFAIK.
I found the location of the AC filter from this video:

The above is from Indonesia, where Ertiga comes with a AC filter

I followed those instructions, and found there is no AC filter, but there is provision to put one. The slot is empty and closed with a removable plastic piece.

Next I need to find out if there is one available which fits the slot. If any SX4/swift/dzire owners have accessed their AC filter, can you please tell if the one in their car looks similar to this.

Last edited by mohan41 : 4th August 2012 at 11:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks