Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 23:29   #661
BHPian

Thats exactly what I was wondering about for the last three years. My dzire rear left wheel has the same camper offset which makes it look like the pics above. When I had brought this to the notice of the SA he said it is normal.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:00   #662
BHPian

Re: 1500 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
2. Suspension - This is becoming a big issue on Ertiga. The rear passengers are complaining that the entire shocks from bad roads are getting moved to cabin. I suspect that they have reused the swift's suspension in its bigger and heavier cousin - ertiga.
I faced the same issue for the first 2000 kms. Got the rear air pressure set to 28/29 and the difference was very noticeable. Front pressure at 32. Both values 'cold'. Can you share the pressure you are maintaining for now?
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:57   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Does other Ertigas in the yard have similar chambers? And is this camber angle only on the left rear wheel or do both rear wheels look the same?

It's not necessary that camber angle be 0, some vehicles can have + or - camber as designed to aid vehicle dynamics. That's why I asked if other Ertigas look the same and if both rear wheels are cambered same.
Yes all the Ertiga's had the same negative Camber values on the left rear wheel. Understood it could be a design from the manufacturer, if that is the case it has be symmetrical and both the rear wheels should have similar values which is not the case.

I have also verified several other Ertiga's alignment and all of them have the same values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Does other Ertigas in the yard have similar chambers? And is this camber angle only on the left rear wheel or do both rear wheels look the same?

It's not necessary that camber angle be 0, some vehicles can have + or - camber as designed to aid vehicle dynamics. That's why I asked if other Ertigas look the same and if both rear wheels are cambered same.

Yes, both the Ertiga's from the yard had the same values, I also checked with quite a few other vehicles and all of them have this deviation.

Also I understand that the Camber by design can be negative or positive but the catch is it has to be uniform (Symmetrical) which is not the case with Ertiga, the left and right does not have symmetrical values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Could you please clarify what you mean here? Are you referring to the Caster angle? If yes, is it -ve or +ve and what it should be? If possible, please explain with a small diagram. Thanks for your time.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have posted details on the page 44. Also you are correct these negative camber will cause adverse effect on the suspension and the tyres also on the handling of the vehicle.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Please ensure the text does not contain any [FONT] and other tags when posting content created using external word processors. For more details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...your-post.html (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post)

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd October 2012 at 09:35. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:16   #664
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Camber is the tilting of the wheels from the vertical when viewed from the front of the vehicle. When the wheels tilt outward at the top, the camber is positive (+). When the wheel tilts inward at the top, the camber is negative (-). The amount of tilt is measured in degrees from the vertical. Camber settings influence the directional control and the tire wear.
Too much positive camber will result in premature wear on the outside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts. Too much negative camber will result in premature wear on the inside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts.
Unequal side-to-side camber of 1° or more will cause the vehicle to pull or lead to the side with the most positive camber.
Negative camber generates what is referred to as camber thrust. When both tires are angled negatively they push against each other, which is fine as long as both tires are in contact with the road surface. When one tire loses grip, the other tire no longer has an opposing force being applied to it and as a result the vehicle is thrust towards the wheel with no traction.

I understand that the Camber by design can be negative or positive but the catch is it has to be uniform (Symmetrical) which is not the case with Ertiga, the left and right does not have symmetrical values. This issue is across all Ertiga's in the market now, I have been able to verify the Wheel Alignment Report of many Ertiga's.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-camber-illustration.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-camber-diagram.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga-rear-left-wheel-ve-camber-2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga-rear-left-wheel-ve-camber-1.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wheel Alignment Report.pdf (314.0 KB, 671 views)
virgovencat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:13   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat
Camber is the tilting of the wheels from the vertical when viewed from the front of the vehicle. When the wheels tilt outward at the top, the camber is positive (+). When the wheel tilts inward at the top, the camber is negative (-). The amount of tilt is measured in degrees from the vertical. Camber settings influence the directional control and the tire wear.
Hi Virgo. Ever since you mentioned of asymmetrical camber values, I have observed carefully, and couldn't see any perceptible tilt either ways in my vehicle. I will be sending my ertiga for 2nd service soon and will definitely check the alignment and report. Also there seems to be no uneven tyre wear as well.
Old 24th October 2012, 00:26   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Pictures of my Tyre ugrade (Teaser to my ownership review).

The alloy you see on the front was used just to test how 205/60/15 looks on the car. Initially thought of 205 but then finalised the 195.
Primacy LC does NOT come in 205/60 R15. It is either 205/65 R15 or it is 205/60 R 16 . So why did you first tried with 205,and then changed ? What made you change your mind? What according to you could have gone wrong with 205s?

Source : http://www.michelin.in/Home/Products...rCar/PrimacyLC

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 24th October 2012 at 00:34.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:47   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp

Primacy LC does NOT come in 205/60 R15. It is either 205/65 R15 or it is 205/60 R 16 . So why did you first tried with 205,and then changed ? What made you change your mind? What according to you could have gone wrong with 205s?

Source : http://www.michelin.in/Home/Products...rCar/PrimacyLC
I know that the primacy does not come in 205. I tested 205 with yoko. 2 reasons for not going with 205. The tyre seemed to be jutting out of the body and also there could be possibility of touching the inside of the wheel arch when loaded and secondly he did not have Yoko A drive while the other Yoko version costed Rs 700 per tyre more than primacy.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:42   #668
BHPian

after some googling around, feel that this negative camber might help to keep the body roll to minimum.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-handling.html
Old 25th October 2012, 01:16   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Hi Virgo. Ever since you mentioned of asymmetrical camber values, I have observed carefully, and couldn't see any perceptible tilt either ways in my vehicle. I will be sending my ertiga for 2nd service soon and will definitely check the alignment and report. Also there seems to be no uneven tyre wear as well.
I have also attached the Wheel alignment report of my vehicle which is similar to other vehicles report as verified. It is better if you can get this checked from a third party other than any authorised Maruti Service Center, Wheel alignement should cost you Rs. 350.

Also Tyre wear will be visible to Visual eye only after 15K Kms and that to if the wheels are not rotated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
after some googling around, feel that this negative camber might help to keep the body roll to minimum.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-handling.html

I understand that the Camber by design can be negative or positive but the catch is it has to be uniform (Symmetrical on both wheels) which is not the case with Ertiga, the left and right does not have symmetrical values. This issue is across all Ertiga's in the market now, I have been able to verify the Wheel Alignment Report of many Ertiga's.
Usually the Camber is set negative for high performance cars in order to increase tyre contact with road while cornering there by reducing body roll.
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 21:38   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
I understand that the Camber by design can be negative or positive but the catch is it has to be uniform (Symmetrical on both wheels) which is not the case with Ertiga, the left and right does not have symmetrical values. This issue is across all Ertiga's in the market now, I have been able to verify the Wheel Alignment Report of many Ertiga's.
Usually the Camber is set negative for high performance cars in order to increase tyre contact with road while cornering there by reducing body roll.
Have you written to Maruti or asked your After Sales Service outlet about this peculiar thing about camber angle Virgovencat ?
Old 29th October 2012, 23:16   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Have you written to Maruti or asked your After Sales Service outlet about this peculiar thing about camber angle Virgovencat ?

Yes I have written to Maruti, They are yet to come back with a result upon thier investigation...
Old 1st November 2012, 12:06   #672
BHPian

Hi virgovencat, after reading this discussion about chamber angle, I have looked at my Ertiga rear wheels closely and found out that both wheels have slightly negative chamber. However, it is difficult to judge whether the chamber angle on both sides is the same or not with naked eye.
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:50   #673
Senior - BHPian

I have been invited as part of an Ertiga owner's meet by Maruti Suzuki at Le Royal Meridien, Chennai. They said it's a satisfaction survey to receive feedback on the car. The meeting is at 5 PM on the 5th and 6th of November. Did anybody else from Chennai or other places receive an invite?
Old 5th November 2012, 17:31   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I have been invited as part of an Ertiga owner's meet by Maruti Suzuki at Le Royal Meridien, Chennai. They said it's a satisfaction survey to receive feedback on the car. The meeting is at 5 PM on the 5th and 6th of November. Did anybody else from Chennai or other places receive an invite?
Could you please ask them about the camber issue being discussed in this thread and also another issue posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-chain-2.html

The latter is about a timing chain issue in 90HP MJD engines, and Fiat is providing a new timing chain for 90HP Punto and Linea. It should be applicable to Ertiga/SX4 D too.
Old 6th November 2012, 00:25   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Apparently not many others (incl me) have received the invite to the meet. Could you pl share if any point of interest discussed/revealed on the Ertiga Owner's Meet.

BTW, i like the signature line, Inter-city Express.
Viswam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks