Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 17:59   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Wow thats a sizeable amount. BTB what was the amount spent on 10K service. My vehicle is nearing the 10K mark and wanted to understand what I should expect as a bill, since there will be an Oil change at 10K?
For my 10k service I spent around Rs. 4000. The bill was only for the synthetic oil. At 10k, you don't have to worry because the bill won't cross Rs.5000 max as you'll be only paying for the new engine oil. At 20k, all the fluids are replaced (coolant, gearbox, brake, engine oil, steering) and new filters (air and oil). All these replacements are called the "Swift service kit" and that's how they are billed. I should also mention that these are replaced only once in 20k kms (except oil filter), so your 30k bill should be far lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could you post the break up please? Would like to know what really too the cost to these levels. At the max, I would have looked at a 8.5K bill for a 20K service.
I will post them as soon as I get my hands on the invoice. Been searching all afternoon, don't know where I kept it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
I have already mentioned this in another thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5w40-5w40.html

I know some authorized service centers in Bangalore which says you can use mineral oil during services even though company is secretly pushing its dealers to enforce customers to use fully synthetic oil.

But in Kerala situation is the other way. Dealers are enforcing us to use full synthetic oil and they say you have to change it every 20K on odo.
Yes you are right. Even ABT was using mineral before but now MSIL has been strict in enforcing this new rule. As mentioned in your link the new grade of oil now recommended is 5w40.

Although I was put off by the big bill initially, I'm able to see it now in the light of long term reliability. If this translates into hassle free ownership (that's how it's been till now) then I'm up for paying for such reliability. I don't want to save money here making compromises and end up stranded on some highway because that's where my car spends most of its time. Another reason I strictly stick to Japanese brands. Let's see how it works out in the long run.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 19:27   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
....Although I was put off by the big bill initially, I'm able to see it now in the light of long term reliability. If this translates into hassle free ownership (that's how it's been till now) then I'm up for paying for such reliability. I don't want to save money here making compromises and end up stranded on some highway because that's where my car spends most of its time. Another reason I strictly stick to Japanese brands. Let's see how it works out in the long run.
These engines have proven more than 1L kms on mineral oil. I myself have taken quite long trips on my Swift D with mineral oil and nothing really goes wrong with these engines. Otherwise one can change the mineral oil at 5000 kms interval to make sure the engine has a better life; this would ensure your bills are still cost effective.

To ask another question - It's at-least 5 years since MJDs were used in Maruti vehicles; what about the longevity of those many engines? So it's all an eye wash.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 19:54   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These engines have proven more than 1L kms on mineral oil. I myself have taken quite long trips on my Swift D with mineral oil and nothing really goes wrong with these engines. Otherwise one can change the mineral oil at 5000 kms interval to make sure the engine has a better life; this would ensure your bills are still cost effective.

To ask another question - It's at-least 5 years since MJDs were used in Maruti vehicles; what about the longevity of those many engines? So it's all an eye wash.
Is this push only for diesel cars or they are pushing even petrol car owners for synthetic oil and intervals of 10k ? Its way to early i guess for an engine that has been powering many cars for more than half a decade.
Old 13th February 2013, 23:43   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree! It's true that synthetic oil provides a better engine feel on idle and at high rpms. But, it should be optional and should not be pushed to the consumer. I guess, the higher scope for margins ( both for the service center and oil companies ) is what is making them come up with such a plan.

I've never seen a Maruti engine fail in my life inspite of using mineral oil for all of its life.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 23:54   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Is this push only for diesel cars or they are pushing even petrol car owners for synthetic oil and intervals of 10k ? Its way to early i guess for an engine that has been powering many cars for more than half a decade.
I don't think they will push synthetic for petrol. One of the reason is 80-20 split for diesel-petrol sales. They don't stand to gain much from it. Another reason could be that if petrol is cheap from a maintenance perspective, they get that marketing benefit via word of mouth.

PS:: I would have been OK if Maruti had revised their service schedules to 15K atleast, like Fiat and some other brands using synthetic oil. This is greed!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2013 at 23:56.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 02:15   #951
BHPian

My ZDi is due for its 1st service tomorrow. It has been 1021 happy kilometres since 7th January 2013 and what things should I change tomorrow ?

Is there a recommendation for engine oil change at 1st service ? Should I go for Synthetic oil now, or wait for next time or continue using semi-synthetic engine oil ? What is the price of 1st free service that I hope to be charged tomorrow,any idea guys would be helpful.

Anything else that I need to know before I take my ride there for 1st free service ?
Old 14th February 2013, 03:16   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
My ZDi is due for its 1st service tomorrow. It has been 1021 happy kilometres since 7th January 2013 and what things should I change tomorrow ?

Is there a recommendation for engine oil change at 1st service ? Should I go for Synthetic oil now, or wait for next time or continue using semi-synthetic engine oil ? What is the price of 1st free service that I hope to be charged tomorrow,any idea guys would be helpful.

Anything else that I need to know before I take my ride there for 1st free service ?
The 1st service is merely an inspection service. Fluids will be topped up if required (usually won't need it). No oil change required in this service. Wait for 10k service. You won't be incurring any charges. May be very nominal charge if any fluid's topped up. That's all you need to know. They should be able to give your vehicle back in an hour or so. Ask for express service.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 07:00   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think they will push synthetic for petrol. One of the reason is 80-20 split for diesel-petrol sales. They don't stand to gain much from it. Another reason could be that if petrol is cheap from a maintenance perspective, they get that marketing benefit via word of mouth.

PS:: I would have been OK if Maruti had revised their service schedules to 15K atleast, like Fiat and some other brands using synthetic oil. This is greed!!
Exactly. There are many who use synthetic oil already because of high running. 15k for synthetic is reasonable.

Does the circular say both synthetic and 10k interval? It could also be the dealer making such claims.
Old 14th February 2013, 08:51   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you post the break up please? Would like to know what really too the cost to these levels. At the max, I would have looked at a 8.5K bill for a 20K service.
Here is the bill break up:

Parts

Distilled Water--------------------- 21.84
Insulation Tape-------------------- 8.30
Coolant (SB) Non Anime---------- 410.40 (2 ltrs)
Brake fluid GC 1500AA (250ML)-- 135.37
Swift Diesel Service Kit (Filters)-- 1580.79
Nitrogen top up--------------------- 50.00
Grease sachet calliper------------- 22.78
Screen wash 50ML sachet--------- 26.20
MGG0 (75W90) TOTAL------------- 856.00 (2.6 ltrs)
Synthetic Oil Mobil 1--------------- 3316.60 (3.1 ltrs)
--------------------
Parts Total inc. VAT------ 7303.31

Labour

Service----------------------------- 1065.00
Frnt Brake Calliper Clean.adjust- 503.00
Side slip brake tester chugs------ 100.00
Ventilator-------------------------- 559.00
Misc. labour (wash & wax)------ 100.00
--------------
Labour Total inc. VAT----- 2614.61

Total Amount: 9918.00

I have to mention that a stone got lodged in the brake callipers from my recent trip to Masinagudi. Although I didn't know about it, on inspection the SA showed me the stone and the scar it had left on the disc. The disc was removed and polished with some chemical and callipers were adjusted. This added that 500 rupees to the bill.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 09:38   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 20k, all the fluids are replaced (coolant, gearbox, brake, engine oil, steering) and new filters (air and oil). All these replacements are called the "Swift service kit" and that's how they are billed.
Just doing a comparison here of the fluid changes with my ancient 2004 Indica engine. For that engine the engine oil replacement interval is 10K kms, gearbox oil is 20K, coolant & brake fluids is 40K & the power steering oil is a whopping 80K kms. Even after 40K usage my coolant still looks pristine. I still cannot understand why MSIL wants to change all these fluids at such short intervals. I am now getting a feeling that they are short changing their customers. Someone rightly pointed out earlier, this could be their strategy, sell the cars at low price & they compensate that in the servicing bills. Maruti & Hyundai both are treading on that path & hardly anyone is complaining.

Can any of the petrol Ertiga owners (Lxi, VXi, ZXi) share their servicing costs? If servicing petrol Ertiga costs half of what the diesel variant is costing, then it makes lot of sense to go for the petrol variant. If the money saved in fuel costs of a diesel variant is going to be spent on servicing then, what is the point in paying upfront premium of 1.5 lakhs for getting a diesel Ertiga?
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:02   #956
BHPian

Quote:
The 1st service is merely an inspection service. Fluids will be topped up if required (usually won't need it). No oil change required in this service. Wait for 10k service. You won't be incurring any charges. May be very nominal charge if any fluid's topped up. That's all you need to know. They should be able to give your vehicle back in an hour or so. Ask for express service.
Thanks SD for the info.
I am going to my known mechanic at M@SS today where I have been going for the last 10 years. Just day before yesterday I got my 52,300 Kms run Zen Estilo serviced and the total bill was 5k.My mechanic does a wonderful job and makes me immensely happy afterwards while driving. The car was given back to me in less than 4 hours.
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:46   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the bill break up:

Parts

Parts Total inc. VAT------ 7303.31

Labour

--------------
Labour Total inc. VAT----- 2614.61

Total Amount: 9918.00
I see they have NOT added anything unncessary! That's a positive with these guys. The extra costs is for the synthetic oil rates against mineral oil (2500/-) and as you said the cleaning and stuffs.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:05   #958
BHPian

In my Ertiga VDi (run 9100km so far), when I turn the ignition ON, the engine oil light in the instrument cluster comes on and goes off a few seconds after I start the engine. Is this normal in Ertiga or does it mean engine oil level is low?

I had read that normally the engine oil light should go off a few seconds after turning on the ignition and one should not start the engine if it does not go off.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:21   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
In my Ertiga VDi (run 9100km so far), when I turn the ignition ON, the engine oil light in the instrument cluster comes on and goes off a few seconds after I start the engine. Is this normal in Ertiga or does it mean engine oil level is low?

I had read that normally the engine oil light should go off a few seconds after turning on the ignition and one should not start the engine if it does not go off.
That's fine! You need be worried ONLY if it stays ON even after crank.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:28   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just doing a comparison here of the fluid changes with my ancient 2004 Indica engine. For that engine the engine oil replacement interval is 10K kms, gearbox oil is 20K, coolant & brake fluids is 40K & the power steering oil is a whopping 80K kms. Even after 40K usage my coolant still looks pristine. I still cannot understand why MSIL wants to change all these fluids at such short intervals. I am now getting a feeling that they are short changing their customers. Someone rightly pointed out earlier, this could be their strategy, sell the cars at low price & they compensate that in the servicing bills. Maruti & Hyundai both are treading on that path & hardly anyone is complaining.
And here is the fluid change interval for the Etios/Liva
  • Engine Oil - every 10,000 kms
  • Gearbox/Transmission oil - No periodic replacements needed. Just inspection and topup
  • Coolant - First change at 1,60,000 kms ( I did not add the extra zero by mistake. It's 1 lakh 60 thousand kms. Toyota call this coolant - Toyota Super long life coolant ) and then every 80,000 kms
  • Brake fluid - every 40,000 kms
And here is the filter replacement intervals

• Oil Filter - every 10,000 kms
  • Fuel filter - every 80,000 kms ( They use Denso lifetime filter. As per the engineers in Denso, it lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle and needs to be changed only if the ECU shows a reduction in fuel pressure near the outlet of the filter )
  • Air Filter - every 40,000 kms
In Nippon Toyota, Cochin, they also have leaflets explaining what design features on each Toyota component makes it last so long.

I also got information that Toyota uses piezo electric injectors on the Etios.

I'm curious as to why Maruti makes its customers replace components every 20,000 kms! Either they are
  • under-estimating the quality of their own filters/fluids or
  • they are using lower quality components
  • using it as an opportunity to create more revenue.
It could be a mix of all, but, I firmly believe that it is more about the last point than anything else.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed