Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 13:39   #1006
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Flexi seating - I have certainly used the flexi seating to a good advantage. Flattened out the 40:60 middle row. Had 3 seats and one long flat bed. on full stretch it is 6 feet 5 inches.
Rajain, can you please post some pics of this seating configuration?
Old 29th March 2013, 13:51   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
I have been drooling on duster and ecosport for a long time now. But after reading the posts in this thread, the thought of Ertiga being a more practical car is growing on me. I am planning to upgrade from my Alto by this year end or early next year.
Just wondering if there is any Ertiga facelift coming up or any competitor to Ertiga from Honda/Hyundai by this year end. Also, what is the waiting period for Ertiga?
If you're looking at the Ertiga, the waiting periods have drastically come down. If you're not colour specific (any variant), you can get it in 2 weeks, and if you're looking at top end or VDi, a month. This is for the diesel.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 13:52   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
Rajain, can you please post some pics of this seating configuration?
Hi

Its there on the travelogue. Check this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uv-ertiga.html.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 17:02   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Flexi seating - I have certainly used the flexi seating to a good advantage. Flattened out the 40:60 middle row. Had 3 seats and one long flat bed. on full stretch it is 6 feet 5 inches. That I must say helps hugely on a long journey, say a couple of thousand kms where a short nap for the driver or a siesta post lunch or family lounge plus music, rear AC and comfort is totally taken care of. In fact, late at night if no hotel is available, one can park at some fuel bunk and sleep off for some time. The flat bed combination has worked well for me. Swiftdiesel is right. That is what I had done in a recent long trip - blanket, matteress, pillow-the works.
After seeing the pictures you posted in the travelogue, I tried it out and yes it does make a nice flat bed. Thanks for showing the option.

Quote:
Mileage - 'kitna deti hai' - I have got 560-570 kms (within city) before the low fuel warning comes in. That is roughly 16.5 to 16.75 in city with AC on all the time. In winters I was getting higher with less AC use. On the highway the low fuel warning comes around 625-640 kms if I stay at 90 kmph but I drive at 110-110 kmph and the low fuel warning comes in at 575-600 kms and so I regularly get 18.25 kmpl thereabouts. At a speed upto 90 kmph I have got 20 kmpl but that is not my standard speed. Post the low fuel warning there is still roughly 9-10 ltrs of fuel remaining considering the tank capacity is 45 by the manual. Though I will say post delivery, I was able to fill up 47 ltrs and yes I was not towed to the fuel bunk. You can say it was running on fumes!
That is very good F.E indeed. Which part of Bangalore city you drive normally? Now with full time AC on, I am getting around 14 in city. My drive to work and back home is 16km stretch between Banashankari 3rd stage and Indiranagar, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. And, I guess you drive with your RD box in P1 mode all the time, which I believe has helped in increasing the F.E, is it?
Old 30th March 2013, 17:54   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
After seeing the pictures you posted in the travelogue, I tried it out and yes it does make a nice flat bed. Thanks for showing the option.
After making a flat bed bed you would need a nice soft - within 4"s of a mattress. I have recently ordered one, it is 3 feet by 6 feet and can be rolled up and kept in the Thule. Mattress is needed for comfort.

Quote:
That is very good F.E indeed. Which part of Bangalore city you drive normally? Now with full time AC on, I am getting around 14 in city. My drive to work and back home is 16km stretch between Banashankari 3rd stage and Indiranagar, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. And, I guess you drive with your RD box in P1 mode all the time, which I believe has helped in increasing the F.E, is it?
I am in HSR and my typical drive is either inner ring road or out ring road. My travel times are a little after normal business hours, 1030 ish and return back is also after 2000 ish. This helps as the traffic is certainly lighter. Within city I mostly keep the RD box on E mode-which is economy. I rarely need power within city. On the highway it shifts to P1. After the service at 10K the engine is certainly behaving far more settled and the economy too has increased.
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 03:02   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Found a video of the Ertiga at the Rohtang Pass. I'm impressed although I doubt if it can do this with 7 and luggage on board. Having said that, this looks like SUV territory and the high GC seems to help. The fact is, I won't be taking my baby there, so I'm glad someone did for all of us to watch!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 31st March 2013 at 03:07.
swiftdiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 11:01   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
I am in HSR and my typical drive is either inner ring road or out ring road. My travel times are a little after normal business hours, 1030 ish and return back is also after 2000 ish. This helps as the traffic is certainly lighter. Within city I mostly keep the RD box on E mode-which is economy. I rarely need power within city. On the highway it shifts to P1. After the service at 10K the engine is certainly behaving far more settled and the economy too has increased.
Thanks @Rajain. I am also interested in the RD box, though the dual channel one when they release it. I am considering it mainly to improve the city drive-ability (less gear shifts), and I thought P1 mode helps towards that. Based on your experience, please tell me whether P1 is useful only on highway or also in city.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:28   #1013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The MPV just hugs the road and rides like an Arabian chariot.
This is a curious statement. First, what is an Arabian Chariot, didn't know Arabs used chariots? Second, Chariots didn't have suspension, the tub was mounted directly on the axle. That means the chariots must have had very very hard ride. You are comparing Ertiga ride to that of a chariot? Is it really that bad?
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 12:43   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a curious statement. First, what is an Arabian Chariot, didn't know Arabs used chariots? Second, Chariots didn't have suspension, the tub was mounted directly on the axle. That means the chariots must have had very very hard ride. You are comparing Ertiga ride to that of a chariot? Is it really that bad?
I didn't realise my choice of expression will be researched. Sorry if that "chariot" analogy threw you off track. The analogy of a Volvo B9R, perhaps?
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 12:46   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Rajain. I am also interested in the RD box, though the dual channel one when they release it. I am considering it mainly to improve the city drive-ability (less gear shifts), and I thought P1 mode helps towards that. Based on your experience, please tell me whether P1 is useful only on highway or also in city.
Hi Mohan

Yes P 1 works in the city as well. No problem at all. I have used this setting in the city too. Yes P 1 is good both for city and the highway.

The key to this engine (not necessarily the RD box) is to keep a RPM closer to 1500. The moment you cross 1750 there is a surge. But then one also has to bear in mind that in a bumper to bumper traffic that may not be needed. So I stay on E mode in the city and especially when total pax is within 2-3. Within the city unless one is stuck in bumper to bumper traffic there is good chance you will enjoy gear 2 and 3. 3 has a good pull all the way from speeds of 20 and more ... all the way till 80 or so.

I will say from expereince that once I understood the engine response it has been a smooth sailing. Coming from a petrol vehicle I will say this did take me more time but I am comfortable now having done over 12,500 kms.

Helps? Happy to answer any more. also in my ownership thread the exact discussion on RD box had come up some months ago. Maybe some information there maybe useful.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 13:07   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Found a video of the Ertiga at the Rohtang Pass. I'm impressed although I doubt if it can do this with 7 and luggage on board. Having said that, this looks like SUV territory and the high GC seems to help. The fact is, I won't be taking my baby there, so I'm glad someone did for all of us to watch!
Seeing the number this appears to be a VIP number...either a govt official or someone with some connections. Be that as it may in front of nature everyone becomes the same normal mortal.

This place seems to be just before Rani Nallah or Rani Nallah (just before Rohtang La) itself. Thankfully it has not rained and the slush is bearable. I can tell you when it rains the slush is just seen to be believed. Wheels spin and vehicles find this extremely difficult to negotiate.

These 2 pictures clicked by yours truely in my last visit to Leh will speak for themselves -

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_4929-640x480.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_4930-640x480.jpg

Bikes burn clutch; two wheel drives find it hard and vehicles belly out. BRO folks normally have a bulldozer close by and a large number of labourers to assist. Their assistance is limited to throwing stones on the track to get traction.

I have seen a Santro (and a number of other small cars - i10; A Star and even humble 800) get past this slush. The trick is not to rev to high, not to allow for wheels to start spinning and therefore digging in. I personally think Ertiga can get past this slush (inlcuding the wet one in my pictures) because of good GC and its light weight.

Cheers

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st March 2013 at 14:00. Reason: Removing link from the quote.
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 13:49   #1017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I didn't realise my choice of expression will be researched.
No research was required, I am a world history buff. I knew the basic characteristics of a chariot, so I knew the simile was incorrect, right away.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 15:22   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These 2 pictures clicked by yours truely in my last visit to Leh will speak for themselves -

I have seen a Santro (and a number of other small cars - i10; A Star and even humble 800) get past this slush. The trick is not to rev to high, not to allow for wheels to start spinning and therefore digging in. I personally think Ertiga can get past this slush (inlcuding the wet one in my pictures) because of good GC and its light weight.

Cheers
That's a nice comparison pic to know how it is in wet conditions. Yeah, as you say when you over-rev the engine, it's bound to get stuck. Do you think FWD vehicles are much better than RWD ones? I also saw an Ertiga taxi in a picture taken in the highest motorable road. I reckon it's doable but must be prepared to let your car be abused.

What was your car for the trip? I was so sure of doing this trip myself in my Ertiga but after reading travelogues of extreme challenges faced there, I've dropped my plans. I'm not ready to abuse mine although a part of me still wants to do the trip. Got a kid and a family that I hate to jeopardise in the process.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 08:15   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice comparison pic to know how it is in wet conditions. Yeah, as you say when you over-rev the engine, it's bound to get stuck. Do you think FWD vehicles are much better than RWD ones? I also saw an Ertiga taxi in a picture taken in the highest motorable road. I reckon it's doable but must be prepared to let your car be abused.
The best vehicle for this territory would have to be 4x4 with traction control. Not many can afford that. Between FWD and RWD vehicles I will say FWD are more successful because upon climbing the weight of the vehicle is on rear wheels. Yes Ertiga will do this territory just needs a skillful driver.

Quote:
What was your car for the trip? I was so sure of doing this trip myself in my Ertiga but after reading travelogues of extreme challenges faced there, I've dropped my plans. I'm not ready to abuse mine although a part of me still wants to do the trip. Got a kid and a family that I hate to jeopardise in the process.
I had started from Bangalore in a Opel Sail but developed problems along the way as fuel pump gave way and a spare was not available with GM dealerships. They ordered one and it came a few days later. So I had to park the car at Chandigarh and continue the journey in a Innova. Any road journey means a little bit of abuse. In the Himlayan roads there is more vehicle abuse and in the leh region roads its the highest. The lesser difficult route is Srinagar-Kargil-Leh and you will acclamatise better. But if you want to do it - well go for it.
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 08:28   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between FWD and RWD vehicles I will say FWD are more successful because upon climbing the weight of the vehicle is on rear wheels.
When climbing on a steep slope, as you rightly said, the weight of the vehicle shifts to the rear axle and on to the rear wheels. This presses the rear wheels firmly down and increases the traction. The front wheels have relatively little traction in these situations. A FWD vehicle would actually be spinning It's wheels whereas a RWD vehicle would be able to lumber up.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed