Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 12:30   #1051
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hello,

I got the delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi on March 26, 2013. Had only managed to drive her for about 800 kms.
Congratulations @Randendra.

Quote:
5. Had a 5.5 year old Swift VDi, but feel it was more driveable in the city when compared to the Ertiga. The gears seem to be missing a smooth transition zone. Generally a light footer and keep my cars within 1.5 k RPM. But with Ertiga I sometime feel she looses steam when moving from say 2nd to 3rd with 2nd touching 1.5k RPM.
I think shifting to 3rd from 2nd at 1.5k RPM is too early, based on my experience. I think you should go slightly higher in 2nd gear, closer to 2k RPM and then upshift.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:36   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@nistala: These F.E. numbers look very good. Can you confirm whether they are calculated by tankful method or these are the ones displayed on MID? MID number is slightly higher (1-2km) than actual FE calculated using tankful method.
These FE figures (for highway driving) are calculated by tankful method.
nistala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 01:48   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Congratulations @Randendra.

I think shifting to 3rd from 2nd at 1.5k RPM is too early, based on my experience. I think you should go slightly higher in 2nd gear, closer to 2k RPM and then upshift.
Thank you! that might be the issue. As soon as I shift, the car feels sluggish. Is it okay driving the vehicle at 2k during the run-in period?

Also dont like the engine sound in the region between 1.5k to 2k.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:48   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! that might be the issue. As soon as I shift, the car feels sluggish. Is it okay driving the vehicle at 2k during the run-in period?
It is ok to go upto 2K RPM during run-in period.
Old 13th April 2013, 23:33   #1055

Dear Team,

Own a Ertiga VDI since last 10 months, horrible experience, but Suzuki tried its best to satisfy me. But still I say Suzuki doesent have the quality any more nor in research or end product. I had to complain after 100 kms of run - that there is a design problem will all sold Ertiga diesel models(Ldi,Vdi Zdi) what ever they call it, so far. except for mine which has been changed recently with a modified gearbox. Of course with some goodies so as not to write something like this.

I hope people looking at this write up may take a second thought.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:47   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfrost View Post
Dear Team,

Own a Ertiga VDI since last 10 months, horrible experience, but Suzuki tried its best to satisfy me. But still I say Suzuki doesent have the quality any more nor in research or end product. I had to complain after 100 kms of run - that there is a design problem will all sold Ertiga diesel models(Ldi,Vdi Zdi) what ever they call it, so far. except for mine which has been changed recently with a modified gearbox. Of course with some goodies so as not to write something like this.

You'll have to be more clear.
What problem?
Old 14th April 2013, 08:50   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfrost View Post
Dear Team,

This is really shocking if this is true. Not because a vehicle has problem, but owners are asked to hush up on the matter.

It would be great if you share more details. Since you anyway spilt the bean please be more clear.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 21:57   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This is really shocking if this is true. Not because a vehicle has problem, but owners are asked to hush up on the matter.

It would be great if you share more details. Since you anyway spilt the bean please be more clear.
Dear All Ertigans ,

This is to convey that there are no issues and niggles with Ertiga whatsoever and I am really surprised by a post ( Calfrost) , which does not detail the main issues. Mr Calfrost , I am sure is reading about all the satisfied and more than satisfied owners of Ertiga in this forum and it would be a good idea for him to be specific rather than vague about any issues.

My Ertiga has clocked close to 27000 Kms ( 80 % of the mileage is long hauls and perhaps , mine must be one among the rare Ertiga"s from Chennai to have clocked that many miles within the first year - got mine delivered 10 days afttr the launch ) ) let me tell you from from sheer experience of these trips clocked by Ertiga , it is sheer pleasure on the highways , with the award winning 1.3 Multijet VGT working like a stallion and taking all the altitudes , curves , wind tunnels etc with aplomb and proving time and again that the award winning engine from FIAT and the ingenious mating of the gear box and the smart gear ratios make it the numero uno of Diesel engines in the world ( Johny come lately Diesel powertrains will have to prove a lot in the market place and perhaps get inspired to improve and do well after the phenomenon called 1.3 Multijet ( Aplauded by all automobile pundits ( genuine ones ) round the world .

The Ertiga literally hugs the highways and cruising at high speeds is effortless as much as overtaking the stodgy diesel powertrains ( like many Tdi etc based cars ) as well as other petrol cars , is sheer pleasure . I have been cruising on the highways in the last couple of weeks non stop in blistering heat ranging from 39-42 degrees and let me tell you , the Air conditioning is very efficient in tackling the harsh Indian summers .
The engine has become very smooth and highly refined now and I get a highway mileage ( Tank full method ) of close to 18.5-19 kms /Litre of Diesel , when driven at 90-95 kms /hour .
I have gained a lot in terms of the superior performance of Ertiga , by following a strict regimen of how to handle this Diesel marvel from Maruti Suzuki.
1. I am religiously following the idling principle for 2 odd minutes before driving off . ( I have found the engine performance respond very well to this routine )

2. I am also following the idling principle for 2 odd minutes before shutting down the engine .

3. I am currently maintaining a tyre pressure of 34 in the front and 33 in the rear tyres and that seems quite ok .

4. Even after a year of a super successful launch , the Ertiga continues to be a head turner on the highways and city roads ( the heads here are more often other top of the line Japanese and European car owners ).

5 My Ertiga has done full loads ( All seven seats occupied , has done hilly terrain mile crunching , flat highway crunching , and with every trip , it continues to delight me as a proud owner , having taken an intelligent decision ( like so many of us , who are continuing to post their enjoyable Ertiga experiences . )

6. I am really surprised about Calfrosts post .

It is also my humble thought that , much of the car experiences stem from our driving habits and experience . I often find that many of the issues cited by many new car owners of new models are a bye product , perhaps , of their own driving styles and also sometimes it is the case of mishandling . It is the Manufacturers bane that the warranty clause takes a heavy toll of their part replacement ( even in regular situations of misuse and mishandling of vehicles by owners )

7. Marutis track record in service is impeccable ( and the envy of top of the line international competitors ) and I can vouch for that after experiencing it over the last couple of decades.
The fact of life is Ertiga is a superhit and on my last highway hauls , I am seeing more and more Ertigas hitting the highways with pride and each driver acknowledging the great Ertiga Club membership with pride .

Maruti has truly won every bit of the tremendous respect that they generate from their customers in India and elsewhere with sheer hard work , Customer Relationship Management and greatly designed products in the last couple of decades .Ertiga is another example of a design marvel of Maruti Suzuki engineers ( Applauded by all automobile pundits in India and abroad )

Cheers
Sriram Rajann is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:47   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriram Rajann View Post
Dear All Ertigans ,

This is to convey that there are no issues and niggles with Ertiga whatsoever and I am really surprised by a post ( Calfrost) , which does not detail the main issues. Mr Calfrost , I am sure is reading about all the satisfied and more than satisfied owners of Ertiga in this forum and it would be a good idea for him to be specific rather than vague about any issues.

Maruti has truly won every bit of the tremendous respect that they generate from their customers in India and elsewhere with sheer hard work , Customer Relationship Management and greatly designed products in the last couple of decades .Ertiga is another example of a design marvel of Maruti Suzuki engineers ( Applauded by all automobile pundits in India and abroad )

Cheers
I hear replies such as yours from most of the owners. Which is why i asked more details to verify what is the problem he faced.

Only when we hear both sides of the story, we will be in a position to take more informed decision. At the same time, I dont think people will change their mindset if 1 out of 1000 review turns out to be negetive.

In any case, if there is a problem, it should be discussed and people should be informed.

Off topic:
Old Swift is known for weak clutch and there has been good discussions about that.

I have been driving mine since 6 years and 60K kms and still running fine on the stock clutch assembly
My neighbor owns a 4 year old swift and it has run around 20K kms and he keeps complaining that he has changed the clutch plate 3 times !!

So it could be driving style, environment in which vehicle is used or any other reason. But unless that gets discussed we wont know what is the problem.

Hoping to hear detailed report by cal frost. Till then, better ignore such statements.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 13:36   #1060
BHPian

Back from a 750km drive. Tankful method- Ertiga ZDi gave a mileage of 18.8kmpl, driven at constant 90-100 kmph. Never exceeded 110. Even if i neglect the 0.8, 18kmpl is good.

Temperatures were constantly 38-39-40`C throughout the drive, AC performed well, cooling the cabin did take time, especially after opening the doors, but overall happy with the cooling. May not be in the league of say the Figo, but definitely no need to be worried either.
The large glass area (sans sunfilm) does not aid cooling either.

Had 34psi for front tyres, compared to 32 earlier.

Last edited by xotiq : 15th April 2013 at 13:39.
Old 15th April 2013, 16:11   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Faced the same issue 2-3 times in my Ertiga ZDI in my highway drives. This happened to me whenever I was trying to maintain around 130-140 continuously for 15-30 minutes. All the time this happened in the middle of the trip and drove with the light glowing for the remaining trip. Never faced any issue doing this and everything was normal. The ASS guys were not sure about the issues when I went first and second time and they changed some sensors, asked me to check this in my next long trip as the replication of the issue is not possible inside the City. Never faced the issue after doing the sensor change last time. Hope they have changed the Boost pressure solenoid last time.
Hope your problem will get solved after replacing this
I have noticed the same Engine Light ( amber coloured light showing the engine in the dash ) glowing in my car for the last 2 days. I am driving the car without any problem whatsoever since then and also after I contacted my Maruti mechanic who asked me to keep driving,and bring in the car for a check-up when I get time.I will do so tomorrow,as today it is shut due to Bengali New Years day.

This happened when I got a bit of an empty stretch and revved the car and accelerated,when suddenly,very momentarily I felt a loss of power and the Engine Light came on. I immediately parked on the hard shoulder . Then I rang my mechanic, who asked me to switch the car off and then turn it on again. I did that, but the Engine light came on again and has remained like that since then. It goes away when I switch off,but comes back when I switch it on.

This is something which Denver experienced earlier and I remembered this from this thread itself,when I personally experienced this.
Have anybody else experienced this on their diesel Ertigas ?
Hope this is a minor issue and will go away tomorrow after my mechanic intervenes.

Quote:
Hello,

I got the delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi on March 26, 2013. Had only managed to drive her for about 800 kms.

I have a few observations and would be glad if other Ertiga owners can confirm them:

1. When driving at around 80 to 90 kmph, there is a slight whistling kind of a sound coming from the right driver side ORVMs. Wind passing by with a gentle hiss... did anyone notice this or my ORVM has issues

2. With Kolkata temperatures touching 41 C, and without sunfilms the cabin is not being cooled properly during peak sunny hours.

3. Am getting an Avg FFE of around 16.2 kmpl in the city. Which is good in my opinion.

4. Have upgraded to Yoko AVS Decibel V550 195/60 R15. Ride seems to be reasonably good, but not sure what tyre pressure to maintain. The tyre bunk filled 33 psi on all 4 with Nitrogen. I can feel the tyre firmly taking the road at slow speeds. What is the ideal tyre pressure for 195/65?

5. Had a 5.5 year old Swift VDi, but feel it was more driveable in the city when compared to the Ertiga. The gears seem to be missing a smooth transition zone. Generally a light footer and keep my cars within 1.5 k RPM. But with Ertiga I sometime feel she looses steam when moving from say 2nd to 3rd with 2nd touching 1.5k RPM.

6. The rear blower is making a sound as if there is something loose.

7. I had to take 8 of my colleagues for lunch and not for once I felt that I was carrying such a load. The car was pretty driveable.

8. The sound system is mediocre.

9. The headlights are horrible. I changed them to Philips Essential 100/90 with Philips Relay kit

10. Planning to put Garware icecool shield in the front and some VLT 70 film on the sides. Not sure which one though.

11. The engine is strange. Sometimes it sounds smooth and mostly on my way back home it sounds strained at around 1.75 K RPM

Would like to see if any of my observations does not match with the rest of the Ertiga owners.

Cheers!
Ran
1. No issues with ORVMs for me at all. I have done long trips on the highway,but never faced this.

2. & 10. You DO NEED sunfilm dude !! A car of this dimension with so many glass windows,would have the 'green house effect' . It is normal. I am in Kolkata and I use Ice Cool Shield in the front and Ice Cool Grand on all sides.Keeps the car really cool and comfortable even after whole day in the Sun at my hospital. I have been using the same combination of sun films in my other car too for last 5 years,very happily.

3. I am getting 16.1-16.2 on the MID in the city. It was 18.9 on the highway earlier. But my car is only 2300 Kms old.

4. I have been using Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R 15 with 33 psi standard and 35 psi when fully loaded for a highway trip. Mildly bumpy ride,if you nitpick,but then most tyres have been damaged due to under-inflation rather than over-inflation plus Michelin have notoriously soft side-wall,so I keep my tyre pressure high.

5. Swift is a FGT and this is a VGT engine , so shift a little higher if you can.

6. Rear blower or even the front blower is noisy but only at the maximum speeds,but no sound like something is loose .

7. No issues with load carrying capacity, as this has been proved again and again.

8. Sound system is commensurate with what you are paying for. Do you expect a Bang and Olufsen system in a 10 lakh odd car ?!! ZDi system is better than VDi with a pair of twitters as well and better quality speakers.

I also own a car with Alpine HU,Illusion components,Ground Zero sub and JBL Amp with Icchibahn wiring including 32 sq ft of damping. That car's soundstage is awesome, but this is certainly not mediocre.

9. Acceptable I would say. I did not change my headlamps in my Ertiga ZDi although I use a 130/100 W set-up with ceramic holders,Hella wiring harness and separate relay in my other car.

11. Is first service pending in your Ertiga ? What engine Oil do you use ? Mineral or Synthetic ?
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:41   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Mr. Calfrost should certainly share details if any, he has about Ertiga issues.
I have been driving my ZXI for almost 8000km now but nothing to complain about. However, the reverse gear doesn't shift very smoothly, and sometimes it seems to get stuck. Then I have to change it to fourth and then to reverse. Is this a serious issue? The service people told me it'll settle down after some time, and now I do feel its becoming smoother (or am I getting used to it?)

A few days ago, I had just parked my car and a young man walked across the road from where he had parked his Ertiga. He wanted to know whether there was any movement in the third row seats and I said none. He said his car had some play in the the third row seat. I took a look, and there was a slight movement in the backrest when the passenger sat on the seat. It also moved forward if the passenger leaned forward. He said the service guys told him that this is normal in all ertigas. Has someone had this issue?
Old 17th April 2013, 15:09   #1063
BHPian

Re: Installed Rouf Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Thanks rajesh2812 and parassoni for introducing Rouf rail in other Ertiga threads.
You're welcome my friend. I guess Rouf Rails too owes us the thanks. The rack looks sleek on your car. No plans to travel from Kashmir to Kanyakumari yet, so maybe my car'll have to wait for Rouf Rails to set up dealership somewhere in the north
Old 17th April 2013, 18:23   #1064
BHPian

Re: Installed Rouf Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
No plans to travel from Kashmir to Kanyakumari yet, so maybe my car'll have to wait for Rouf Rails to set up dealership somewhere in the north
Wouldn't he ship? If he does, it would then benefit a lot of people I believe.
Old 20th April 2013, 13:08   #1065
BHPian

An update for users: My Ertiga steering column has got a niggle - when you turn the steering at low speeds < 20 kmph - there is a grinding/ grating noise. Same is not found when you are at a normal pace.

MSM has been informed, and they will get all suspected parts into stock first and then take the car to figure out the culprit component. They have said they will inform Maruti as well as this is the first complaint of this nature.

Mileage at time of observing this issue: 12400K
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks