Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2013, 15:34   #1066
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
An update for users: My Ertiga steering column has got a niggle - when you turn the steering at low speeds < 20 kmph - there is a grinding/ grating noise.
Could be an axle issue. Covered under warranty.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:37   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfrost View Post
Dear Team,

Own a Ertiga VDI since last 10 months, horrible experience, but Suzuki tried its best to satisfy me.
============
I hope people looking at this write up may take a second thought.
Calfrost, I urge you to share the details. It would do all of us good to know the issues that you faced with your vehicle. I hope attempt to silence owners using freebies is not a rampant practice and if it truly is, it should be talked about.
abhinavrm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:33   #1068

The problem you stated is minor, when compared.
When you drive your ertiga in 5 th gear maintaining a constant speed say 70 KMPH. you dont generally push the throttle too much just a slight touch to keep the car moving at 70 KMPL. when do this and try to run at a constant speed at any speed, you get a metallic clicking sound from the bottom of your car, it could be the loose drive shaft or finally nailed to differential and gearbox which is inbuilt in front drive systems. The sound in my car is reduced but not up to my total satisfaction.

Such problems comes in cars with rear wheel drive after clocking about 1 lakh KMS or so. I had been using a accent crdi but this never came up. I had driven 1,30,000 KMS on it.

Well all Ertiga Diesel Users can try it and explain it to the Manufacturer himself if he is curious of this sound. If not go ahead and enjoy the drive as it doest harm the efficiency or life of car much. rather than a discomforting sound that should come when car becomes 4-5 years old, not a new one for which I pay 10 lakhs to own
calfrost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:20   #1069

Quote:
When you drive your ertiga in 5 th gear maintaining a constant speed say 70 KMPH. you dont generally push the throttle too much just a slight touch to keep the car moving at 70 KMPL. when do this and try to run at a constant speed at any speed, you get a metallic clicking sound from the bottom of your car, it could be the loose drive shaft or finally nailed to differential and gearbox which is inbuilt in front drive systems. The sound in my car is reduced but not up to my total satisfaction.

Such problems comes in cars with rear wheel drive after clocking about 1 lakh KMS or so. I had been using a accent crdi but this never came up. I had driven 1,30,000 KMS on it.

Well all Ertiga Diesel Users can try it and explain it to the Manufacturer himself if he is curious of this sound. If not go ahead and enjoy the drive as it doest harm the efficiency or life of car much. rather than a discomforting sound that should come when car becomes 4-5 years old, not a new one for which I pay 10 lakhs to own
Dear Ertigans ,

This is the first time in the forum , perhaps , we are hearing about such an issue . It really surprises me as much as it does to everybody.

There is no metallic sound or any sound whatsoever ( We havent heard of any such issues , I guess so far , with the whole forum of Ertiga owners ( And It is almost a year after the super successful launch of Ertiga ) .

No sound whatsoever at 20, 30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,130, OR EVEN 140 KMPH ( Occassionally at an empty highway stretch ) .

I am just back from a rough and tough hilly terrain crunching at the Nilgiris ( Ooty ) this weekend and the Ertiga was so effortless during the journey and yes , it continued to have admirers all along .

All happy Ertigans would surely vouch for the top performance of this compact yet a brute of a VGT Powertrain, ( The turbo kicking in at 2000 plus RPM is nirvanic as well as a shocker for all those Stodgy - read TDi based - Powertrains ) . which loves the tireless cruising along all types of highways and roads bringing those unexplained smiles on to your countenance. Truly amazing , it is !!and a sheer pleasure of ownership .

Happy Motoring to all Ertigans and wishing you great mile crunching without much ado and keep the happy Ertiga Saga going strong .

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:35   #1070
BHPian

I have never ever heard any sound/noise emanating from my Ertiga ZDi , both in regular city drive and on occasional highway cruises - hats off to our member who has aptly named this car as a ' Intercity Express ' !!

The feeling for me after every drive in this car is as if the engine is always raring to go further and sort of gets unhappy every time you stop or reach your destination quickly !!

By the way, in continuation of my previous post regarding the amber engine light issue , it resolved spontaneously and till date it has not recurred. Hope it stays like that .

I am really happy with my Ertiga and its immense capabilities - If seeing is believing, I did honestly speaking, have experienced it myself in the short time I have owned it.
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:10   #1071
BHPian

Quote:

I am a happy self-driving owner of zdi Ertiga for the past 7 months and has never experienced any thing like what you had stated.

Could it be that you are shifting early and at 70 in the 5th gear with full load, 1.3l engine will sure grunt and make some noise.

Your words appear to be all the more confusing when you say "all ertiga diesel owner should explain to the manufcturer about this sound". The truth, fortunately is that the sound is uniformly non-existent.

It is about time you came out with facts in this forum rather than writing circumspect.
Viswam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:03   #1072

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2013 at 18:18.
calfrost is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:12   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Could be an axle issue. Covered under warranty.
Can you explain how you reached this conclusion?

Sound can be heard only in the drivers seat, not outside the car. Air pressures are at optimum for the car as per the recommendations (34 psi). MSM is not sure of the issue (1st time) and have asked for a replacement steering column as well as some bearing and bushes before opening it up.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:44   #1074

Dear Ertigans ,

We have all experienced on a clean tarmac as well as runway kind of tarmac and we havent experienced any sound whatsoever ( Explained in simple and plain language ).Cruising speeds and all speeds mentioned in the previous post.

SUZUKI, by the way is a heavy weight in the Indian Automobile Sector , constantly, surely and successfully having achieved a Market Leader Position . It is a respected Automobile giant ( Cars ) in India and Calfrost , sure has a bee in his bonnet , so to say .

I drive on clean and flat tarmac , most of the time , as much as all fellow Ertigans ( The ones who have been repeatedly sharing great motoring experiences , with this Super star called 1.3 Multijet VGT )

I am convinced , as much as many highly satisfied and delighted Ertigans would be too , that this is a case of plain lack of understanding of how to understand a Powertrain and what it can deliver and do for you . It is a case of that theory practitioner , getting into the world of reality and finding things very different and difficult to handle . ( The Movie 3 Idiots captured this thought very well !) )

We happy Ertigans , would perhaps suggest that the concerned person first try and understand what this 1.3 Multijet VGT Powertrain is all about and also read forums about how to get the best out of this compact beast of an Intercity Express ( In plain language , how to drive well with modern Diesels and especially 1.3 Multijet VGT ) .

This is not the conventional previous gen CRDi Powertrain, so to say (mounted by many Automobile Brands under the hood -including Hyundai in the past - Even Maruti had stodgy Powertrains mounted under the hood in the past ) . While we all know that Hyundai has also done quite well in developing Diesel Powertrains , the older gen CRDi "S are stodgy and perhaps stemming from this stodgy powertrain experience , the concerned guy has not taken the trouble to understand the 1.3 Multijet VGT Powertrain .

Last but not the least , without properly understanding , how to handle a new gen Powertrain like 1.3 Multijet VGT( Majority of Ertiga Forum members have got the best out of this beast , by understanding , how to handle it ) ,
It is downright preposterous first to be vague about an issue , which is a non issue or rather a non existent issue and then to have the gaul to add to that , a doubting Thomas statement like Suzuki member in the Ertiga Forum , speaks about the level of immaturity of the person . It is our humble request to the moderator that immaturity and vague explanations should not be entertained in this forum .
The fact of life is , this forum has reported regular and authentic Ertiga customer delight experiences . And this forum also helps people , who do not have adequate automobile driving and and owning experience , by providing key inputs to get the best out of their cars . We suggest , that the concerned member , first do an introspection and also refrain from making preposterous statements .( By the way the word is Forum and not Form as the concerned guy has mentioned more than once in his post)

Cheers

Note from Support - Post edited. Please review your posts henceforth before submitting it. It is attacking fellow members and as a community that is built for sharing knowledge and experiences, this post does not go down too well. If you have an issue with any post, from any member, please feel free to use the Report Post button and we will attend to it.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2013 at 18:18. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Sriram Rajann is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:50   #1075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Can you explain how you reached this conclusion?
I had faced a similar problem in my Wagon R. Whenever I turned the steering I would hear this sound. But the problem was easily diagnosed in this case. Let's hope it gets resolved soon. Do update us.

Last edited by anandjha : 23rd April 2013 at 11:52.
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:55   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriram Rajann View Post
We have all experienced on a clean tarmac as well as runway kind of tarmac and we havent experienced any sound whatsoever ( Explained in simple and plain language ).

Cruising speeds and all speeds mentioned in the previous post. I am convinced , as much as many highly satisfied and delighted Ertigans would be too , that this is a case of plain lack of understanding of how to understand a Powertrain and what it can deliver and do for you . It is a case of that theory practitioner , getting into the world of reality and finding things very different and difficult to handle.
I think you are coming down very strongly on the poor BHPian. He is stating his point of view that's all, as you have your view. Please hold your peace.

( By the way the word is GALL and not GAUL as you have mentioned in your post)

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th April 2013 at 14:59.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:06   #1077
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I do not know the reasons why Calfrost is not posting the actual issue, but the reaction from Sriram Ranjann implies "there's more than meets the eye"
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:22   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Gentleman,
Pls take out your vehicle on a plain stretch of good tarmac and drive it as i told, reach a cruising speed and try maintaining the same speed for most of the time, you will hear, try not to concentrate on the Tyre or wind noise, just the fine sound from your engine and gearbox.

I did get the sound from 3 different Ertiga's tested at Visakhapatnam and also 2 long haul driver got a small clicking sound. Also the engineers for Suzuki did acknowledge. If you are one from Suzuki on this form , Pls don't try convincing me.
What fellow Ertigans can do is to try out this and see if there is any such phenomenon with the vehicle and then post your opinion here. I have tried out the Ertiga a few times, and never felt any such issue.

Quote:
I don't need to convince any one on this form about this problem. As I said, I felt bad on this matter that after paying to a company in INDIA for what is says is a justifying price, I should not get a technical defect at least before clocking 70,000 or 1,00,000 kms.
It's normal for companies to make errors. Toyota, Honda, Maruti, and even BMW makes errors on vehicles. There is nothing which is 100% perfect. But, when a problem do come up, companies needs to take the ownership and correct it. And that's when we respect a company.

In the case mentioned by you, you told that Maruti went out of the way to help you out. At the same time, the others in the forums never 'noticed' such an issue. And you yourself mentioned that this is not going to affect the durability or efficiency of the vehicle any way. In such a scenario, I would rather appreciate Maruti than blame them.

Quote:
Just read this post and be happy that we in INDIA do invest into firms who could sell anything within the INDIAN Constitution and make good money and send it abroad. I did have very very good impression since the days of 80 first small car in INDIA, may be it is indigenization that is taking the toll on quality

Suzuki INDIA/Maruti Suzuki should try better in keeping up its quality rather than make excuses in such forms.
We should rather blame our government which strangles the manufacturers with all sorts of taxes. Maruti inspite of selling 1 lakh cars per month runs on a slender profit margin. And there are not many automobile companies in India, which makes profit at the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriram Rajann View Post
Dear Ertigans ,
I think this Post from Calfrost , needs the attention of the moderator , if he is actually going through his posts of the last week .
Agreed that @callfrost was vague in his first post. But now, he has mentioned what exactly the issue is. People who read that can take the judgement on how serious an issue it is.

From what I've read, it just feels like a minor niggle and nothing serious. Our other members can check and see if there is an issue or not.
If there is, they can get it corrected.
If not, they can post it here, so that we can confirm that it's not an issue which is present on all Ertigas manufactured till now.

If you want to report a post to moderators, use the "report post" functionality. Using reply functionality to tarnish a person personally is not something we should do. Debate it logically instead.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd April 2013 at 14:41.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 18:52   #1079
BHPian

Hi, I tried this today afternoon, could not find any noise like a clicking or metallic sound. Had kept the windows up, and a constant speed of 70ish. Anything specific I need to do?

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2013 at 18:19. Reason: Quoted post deleted
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:24   #1080
BHPian

I have driven my Vdi at a constant speed of 80 in 5th gear and have not noticed this sound. But that could be due to not paying enough attention.

@calfrost, it may help us if you can capture video/audio during the drive, post the link here and point out the time in the video at which this sound is audible. Doing this may be difficult but hopefully you can do it when you have someone with you during a drive. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mohan41 : 23rd April 2013 at 23:25.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks