Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 14:13   #1231
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
Finally..it ends. The excruciating wait. It ends.
I will take delivery of my car today.
Mine is Zxi white.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:29   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Mine is Zxi white.
Congratulations buddy. I thought you booked a Zdi diesel. any change of mind?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:39   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Congratulations buddy. I thought you booked a Zdi diesel. any change of mind?
Thank you sir,

Yes it was a last minute decision & changed my booking to Zxi.

Also I am getting a Jun Manufactured car for petrol (Zxi With Alloy wheel).

Last edited by KALINGA : 11th July 2013 at 14:40.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:41   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir,

Yes it was a last minute decision & changed my booking to Zxi.
Then you need to explain us why ?

I have done the test drive of both petrol and diesel ertiga and petrol is more drivable in the city limits. it has decent pull. i am only skeptical about its mileage as my swift gives me only 12 in city and 15 on highways.

What was your calculation ? is your monthly running low ?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:51   #1235
BHPian

My usage in city limit is 90%. I found petrol is good for city use.
Mileage is acceptable (13/14 Kmpl) as per comments from Ertiga owner.
If i calculate the on road price in petrol and diesel model there is a gap of 1.8 lac

If i buy the petrol then i will burn that amount of money in 3-4 years.
So why invest more on diesel now. That's why I opt for petrol.

If your usage is even 80% in the city then I will suggest the petrol model. Even on highway petrol Ortega is also an excellent performer. (As per my driving habits )
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:56   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
..... mileage varies in different cities and from person to person. but you seem to be driving mostly on highways.. ...Are you going to drive alone or 1-2 people or 6-7 people or with alot of luggage. ...So from my study, Ertiga can fetch 13-15kmpl in city conditions and 16-19kmpl on highways.
Hi Rajshenoy,

that's why i had posted a generic query. Even if we get multiple responses, it would be possible to get a fair idea.

My running is mainly on the highways of Gujarat, am not too hard on the accelerator and 95% of the time am alone.

A reason for considering the Ertiga is that my overall travel is expected to reduce from next year and hence running cost might not be high. Plus, the people mover advantage would always remain.

I really dont like cramped cars wherein even the front seat occupants rub shoulders ( that was one of the reasons while I had bought the Getz D, which I have recently sold) and driving comfort.

However, i also wanted something that was light on the pocket in terms of service costs.

I recently test drove the Amaze and Liva and the Liva is still in contention due to the above factors.

So, all gyaan most welcome

Last edited by Bapu : 11th July 2013 at 14:58.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:03   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If i buy the petrol then i will burn that amount of money in 3-4 years.
So why invest more on diesel now. That's why I opt for petrol.
Makes sense I feel. 1.8L is a big gap you will need more than 4 years to recover it.

I am looking at Vdi or petrol Zxi (since vxi does not come with even ABS) and here i don't see much price difference. Which is why i am more tilted towards diesel, my usage ranges from 15K-18K per year. and 50% city rest weekend drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Hi Rajshenoy,

However, i also wanted something that was light on the pocket in terms of service costs.

I recently test drove the Amaze and Liva and the Liva is still in contention due to the above factors.

So, all gyaan most welcome
I dont think Ertiga will be very light on pocket. From what i hear, 10K service will be typically costing 5000rs and every 20K they will make sure your break pads worn out etc and your bill can run into 7-8000 rs

Liva might be low cost in that regard !!
Old 11th July 2013, 15:14   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense I feel. 1.8L is a big gap you will need more than 4 years to recover it.

I am looking at Vdi or petrol Zxi (since vxi does not come with even ABS) and here i don't see much price difference. Which is why i am more tilted towards diesel, my usage ranges from 15K-18K per year. and 50% city rest weekend drives.

I dont think Ertiga will be very light on pocket. From what i hear, 10K service will be typically costing 5000rs and every 20K they will make sure your break pads worn out etc and your bill can run into 7-8000 rs

Liva might be low cost in that regard !!
If your usage is more in city then Petrol Ertiga Zxi is the car for you.

In the VDi you will miss many features. One most important (at least for me) is Driver seat height adjustment & Airbag.

My Usage per month :

City = 600 KM
Weekend Drive = 400 Km

So around 1000 Km per month, Still i feel petrol is better (Budget/ feature)

And I have an annual highway drive of around 4000 KM where i can ensure my safety with Airbag & ABS

So I have a total mileage of around 16,000 KM per annum. Still I believe petrol model is cheaper for me. When i get all the safety feature in the same price band then why i opt for a Vdi for the sake of diesel only.
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:20   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Zxi white.
Congrats. Which dealer and whats the deal/freebies ?
Old 11th July 2013, 15:20   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your usage is more in city then Petrol Ertiga Zxi is the car for you.

In the VDi you will miss many features. One most important (at least for me) is Driver seat height adjustment & Airbag.

My Usage per month :

City = 600 KM
Weekend Drive = 400 Km

So around 1000 Km per month, Still i feel petrol is better (Budget/ feature)

And I have an annual highway drive of around 4000 KM where i can ensure my safety with Airbag & ABS

So I have a total mileage of around 16,000 KM per annum. Still I believe petrol model is cheaper for me. When i get all the safety feature in the same price band then why i opt for a Vdi for the sake of diesel only.
I already drive petrol Swift and have no issues with it except for boot space. Ertiga power felt just like my swift(1.3L) which is good.
Now you are confusing me. Anyway congratulations on your purchase
I have doubts on diesel prices reaching near petrol. These politicians will finally play some game.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:22   #1241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This Diesel vs Petrol debate is a long standing one.

Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8 lacs and the cost differential in the fuel cost is around Rs 25, just bear in mind that it will take the usage of 7200 litres of diesel to recover the cost of acquisition!

Most normal urban dwellers and regular working people tend to do around 1200 to 1500 kms a month in terms of running. Assuming that the vehicle returns a normal average mileage of 15 kmpl, one would probably use around 80 or a 100 litres of Diesel per month. It is a known and proven fact that the Modern Diesel engines are extremely fuel efficient.

At this rate at the least estimate, one will have to drive one's car for 72 months or 6 years, in order to recover the cost of acquisition of the Diesel car! If, as is more likely under normal circumstances, one consumes only 80 litres of diesel a month, then one would have to drive the car for 7.5 years or 90 months in order to break even!

There is truly a lot to be said for buying a petrol driven car given these above calculations...
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:22   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
Congrats. Which dealer and whats the deal/freebies ?
The dealer is My car wakad, Pune.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:38   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8 lacs and the cost differential in the fuel cost is around Rs 25, just bear in mind that it will take the usage of 7200 litres of diesel to recover the cost of acquisition!

Most normal urban dwellers and regular working people tend to do around 1200 to 1500 kms a month in terms of running. Assuming that the vehicle returns a normal average mileage of 15 kmpl, one would probably use around 80 or a 100 litres of Diesel per month. It is a known and proven fact that the Modern Diesel engines are extremely fuel efficient.

At this rate at the least estimate, one will have to drive one's car for 72 months or 6 years, in order to recover the cost of acquisition of the Diesel car! If, as is more likely under normal circumstances, one consumes only 80 litres of diesel a month, then one would have to drive the car for 7.5 years or 90 months in order to break even!

There is truly a lot to be said for buying a petrol driven car given these above calculations...
Yes this is the reason i choose the Petrol.
I beleive Maruti will not dissapoint me for milage.
I am migrating / disconnect from hyundai (8 yrs relation, Santro + Getz) now this will be my first maruti.
Old 11th July 2013, 17:23   #1244
Senior - BHPian

In the OTR price, i see below components
1. Essential kit - floor mat, idol etc worth 3300 rs - Is it worth it ? This car being beige, i might need floor carpeting etc so can i strike all this and go for stuff like 3D mats from outside ?
2. Zero dep insurance at 27K - I might transfer my 50% NCB, but otherwise is this too high ?
3. What is the warranty on Ertiga. Invoice says extended warranty at 11K+( need to know if its for 3rd or 3+4 yrs)

Quote:
Yes this is the reason i choose the Petrol.
I beleive Maruti will not dissapoint me for milage.
I am migrating / disconnect from hyundai (8 yrs relation, Santro + Getz) now this will be my first maruti.
In that case, Welcome to Maruti family. As long as you know automobiles no body can take you for a ride during servicing. Just dont listen to anything they say. Otherwise all dealerships are same at bloating up prices, Be it Maruti or something like VW/Skoda.

In my case i know a non dealer MASS walkable distance from my home. I have been going there personally for 6+ years and i can trust them over dealerships. Which is why i am bit more inclined towards maruti purely from service perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8
Yes, 1.8L is a huge money. One can place it in Bank FD and earn interest and spend it on fuel bills. Also it will reduce Loan EMI.

In my case, coming to Ertiga the main value add Between Z and V is Airbags(not a great fan of steering mounted controls or driver height adjust etc.) May be because my built is that of average indian man and i tried sitting on Vdi and its seating felt perfect for me.

But ABS is a definite must for my driving and no compromise on that.
So i only have the option of comparing between Petrol Zxi and diesel Vdi, and that difference comes to around 60K. Which i can recover within couple of years unless diesel becomes equal to petrol overnight.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th July 2013 at 17:27.
Old 11th July 2013, 17:53   #1245
Senior - BHPian

RajS, you might have also noted from Vidyut's review of the Etriga that in the city, the 1.4 petrol motor is the engine of choice as it has better low-end grunt but doesn't have a good mid-range nor top-end. So spirited highway drives (or even city drives) will be challenging or not very fun.

The diesel however, has good mid-range and top-end, but average (or below-average?) low end grunt leading to the turbo-lag issue on them. Fuel efficiency wise too, the diesel trumps..

Hard decision here as well, mate (lol)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks