Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 18:48   #1246
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Can Ertiga Diesel owners share their actual mileage that they are getting and the service costs that they have incurred...?

Am in the process of buying a car and yet to decide.

Primary concern here is Mileage and Maintenance costs as my running is in the range of 4 - 5 K kms per month (90% highways).

I have been getting figures from 15kmpl to 23kmpl and am confused.

Also, service costs have been quoted as 4 to 5K Rs. for every 10,000 kms and 8 to 9K Rs. for every 20K service.

Actual users would be able to provide realistic figures and hence posting here.
I may be off topic here. No doubt about Ertiga being great choice. But following points may be worth considering.

1. Service cost of Maruti are no longer the cheapest in industry. I prefer Toyota when running is about 4-5K KM per month.

2. Etios will provide great space for 5. you may not be able to sit 7; but 5 + luggage is as good as Ertiga.

3. Read Amalji's ownership thread of Etios D here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...00-kms-14.html

4. Maintenance interval & parts life of Toyota's are much higher. Ertiga will force you to use synthetic oil only. That too will last only 10K KM. Etios will have at least an option of mineral oil. As per 4-5K usage, oil change will be due after every two months! Considering, synthetic will cost at least 2000 INR more; one may save 12K/year on oils only. See other calculations here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3103984

Last edited by zalaps : 11th July 2013 at 18:49. Reason: edit
Old 11th July 2013, 18:57   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
RajS, you might have also noted from Vidyut's review of the Etriga that in the city, the 1.4 petrol motor is the engine of choice as it has better low-end grunt but doesn't have a good mid-range nor top-end. So spirited highway drives (or even city drives) will be challenging or not very fun.

The diesel however, has good mid-range and top-end, but average (or below-average?) low end grunt leading to the turbo-lag issue on them. Fuel efficiency wise too, the diesel trumps..

Hard decision here as well, mate (lol)
So you started following me here now. Not my fault if i convince you to buy ertiga.

Since i have taken the TD of both petrol as well as Diesel, i think i am in a better position to decide(But this is strictly my personal opinion) between the two.

Coming to petrol, you are spot on. It moves like butter in city. Exactly like any petrol should do and i love the same about my Swift 1.3L as well. But on highways, like you said there is a need for constant gear change for overtaking and i know it very well from Swift. Ertiga petrol feels exactly same, Its not bad but not exciting either. But i dont mind changing gears for that nice rev note.

And for diesel, its sluggish compared to petrol(all diesel do) but has short gearing and i tried simulating peak traffic, took on speed breakers etc and it felt adequate(all this with 5 adults distributed on all rows with both AC on high blower) I drive on weekdays alone, so it will be even better pull.
Also if you have driven SX4 diesel, this feels exactly the same and i have driven SX4 and i dont mind it.

So its a matter of personal choice. I would like better performance on highways and in Bangalore city, i anyway need to move in 1-2nd gear irrespective of pertol or diesel.

If you are in no hurry, Just wait till festival season. You might get price correction/discounts on duster/terrano, M&M W4 might be out and you will also hear from the owners about EcoSport. And Ertiga might still be available off the shelf(delay for me because of the color that i am asking) So you have nothing to loose. In my case i have a 6.5 yr old car nearing 62K and i already waited enough for EcoSport
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 19:07   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
I may be off topic here. No doubt about Ertiga being great choice. But following points may be worth considering.

1. Service cost of Maruti are no longer the cheapest in industry. I prefer Toyota when running is about 4-5K KM per month.

2. Etios will provide great space for 5. you may not be able to sit 7; but 5 + luggage is as good as Ertiga.

3. Read Amalji's ownership thread of Etios D here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...00-kms-14.html

4. Maintenance interval & parts life of Toyota's are much higher. Ertiga will force you to use synthetic oil only. That too will last only 10K KM. Etios will have at least an option of mineral oil. As per 4-5K usage, oil change will be due after every two months! Considering, synthetic will cost at least 2000 INR more; one may save 12K/year on oils only. See other calculations here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3103984
Completed 2 oil changes for the Ertiga, none of them was Synthetic. Normal engine oil works just fine. Same is the case with our 6yr old swift VDi, afterall both are the same engines in different state of tune, and i dont see any reason to mandate synthetic oil.

Travelling with 7 pax will be an exception than the norm, so its more about having the option of +2 seats available if required.

Last edited by xotiq : 11th July 2013 at 19:08.
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 21:00   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Completed 2 oil changes for the Ertiga, none of them was Synthetic.

Are you sure on this ? Even for the new swift i heard it is been recommended to use synthetic.For the VGT multijet engines there was a notice from Maruti to always stick on to Synthetic(Sx4D/Ertiga)
Old 11th July 2013, 21:16   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Are you sure on this ? Even for the new swift i heard it is been recommended to use synthetic.For the VGT multijet engines there was a notice from Maruti to always stick on to Synthetic(Sx4D/Ertiga)
I too am not sure about this but i checked about same in my MASS and they too say its totally up to you to choose which engine oil you want. Mineral, semi synthetic or fully synthetic.

Maruti recommends oil change every 10K kms is what he confirmed.

Most us dont run the maruti cars like cabs so that we need to change oil every 2-3 months. So many wont mind spending 3500 on a mobil1 semi synthetic oil instead of 1500 for a normal oil.

If you ask me, I might go for synthetic since my usage will demand oil change 1-2 times a year. But it will be my choice.
Old 11th July 2013, 21:20   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So you started following me here now. Not my fault if i convince you to buy ertiga.

Since i have taken the TD of both petrol as well as Diesel, i think i am in a better position to decide(But this is strictly my personal opinion) between the two.

Coming to petrol, you are spot on. It moves like butter in city. Exactly like any petrol should do and i love the same about my Swift 1.3L as well. But on highways, like you said there is a need for constant gear change for overtaking and i know it very well from Swift. Ertiga petrol feels exactly same, Its not bad but not exciting either. But i dont mind changing gears for that nice rev note.

And for diesel, its sluggish compared to petrol(all diesel do) but has short gearing and i tried simulating peak traffic, took on speed breakers etc and it felt adequate(all this with 5 adults distributed on all rows with both AC on high blower) I drive on weekdays alone, so it will be even better pull.
Also if you have driven SX4 diesel, this feels exactly the same and i have driven SX4 and i dont mind it.

So its a matter of personal choice. I would like better performance on highways and in Bangalore city, i anyway need to move in 1-2nd gear irrespective of pertol or diesel.

If you are in no hurry, Just wait till festival season. You might get price correction/discounts on duster/terrano, M&M W4 might be out and you will also hear from the owners about EcoSport. And Ertiga might still be available off the shelf(delay for me because of the color that i am asking) So you have nothing to loose. In my case i have a 6.5 yr old car nearing 62K and i already waited enough for EcoSport
Well, not one to get convinced easily (we all have varying requirements anyway) but yeah, your post about looking at the Etriga made sense and I thought why not look at it too (doesn't hurt to look, right?) as it could fall within the EcoSport's pricing.

What I like about your approach is you've managed to steer clear of the latest launch on the block EcoSport which everyone is making a beeline for (of course, because the vehicle is good), simply because it doesn't fit the bill for you and you didn't give into the lure of buying the latest.

Hope the Ertiga works well for you. Who'd have guessed the EcoSport's launch would actually help Maruti Suzuki sell the Ertiga better.
Old 11th July 2013, 21:20   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
I too am not sure about this but i checked about same in my MASS and they too say its totally up to you to choose which engine oil you want. Mineral, semi synthetic or fully synthetic.
Can you check the following link about the circular from Maruti

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5w40-5w40.html
Old 11th July 2013, 21:59   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

Can you check the following link about the circular from Maruti

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5w40-5w40.html
Yes i too had read about it as it was a big news. People called maruti greedy and what not. I did check with few of my friends and they too said synthetic oil

I never really bothered about it since i had old swift. But last week, i went to check service costs of ertiga and this is what service adviser told me.

Looks like its more of we recommend it but its your choice finally.
Another reason could be that maruti no longer commands big waiting period so these so called recommendations have tonned down.

Those opted for synthetic will be forced to continue isn't it? I am not an expert here but never heard of anyone switch from synthetic oil to normal
Old 12th July 2013, 11:37   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Mr. RajS, for your benefit, if you didn't know already.

http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/Mar...igaLaunch.html
Old 12th July 2013, 12:16   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Mr. RajS, for your benefit, if you didn't know already.

http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/Mar...igaLaunch.html
I didnt like feliz edition. And it comes with following catch:

1. Its only in V trims
2. Has only one color with extra stickers
3. Car sold to you will be 2012 model(Nice trick by maruti to push 2012 models isnt it)
4. Priced 25K costlier than regular models.
Old 12th July 2013, 14:03   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like its more of we recommend it but its your choice finally.

Those opted for synthetic will be forced to continue isn't it? I am not an expert here but never heard of anyone switch from synthetic oil to normal
Doesn't Ertiga come with synthetic oil from factory ? In that case is it fine if the owner drives around for 10K (First oil change interval for synthetic) and then change back to mineral ?
Or should the owner change to mineral at first service (1000Km/ 1 month) and continue the same.

Also, rajshenoy, could you please mention what was the OTR prices quoted for VDi and Zdi in Bangalore?

Last edited by mpksuhas : 12th July 2013 at 14:04.
Old 12th July 2013, 14:21   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Doesn't Ertiga come with synthetic oil from factory ? In that case is it fine if the owner drives around for 10K (First oil change interval for synthetic) and then change back to mineral ?
Or should the owner change to mineral at first service (1000Km/ 1 month) and continue the same.

Also, rajshenoy, could you please mention what was the OTR prices quoted for VDi and Zdi in Bangalore?
I am also trying to find answer to this Synthetic vs mineral stuff. But looks like It comes with mineral oil by default and at 10K we have an option to change to synthetic, semi-synth or continue with mineral oil

OTR Prices

Vdi - 10,27,xxx
Zdi-steel - 10,75,xxx
Zdi-Alloys - 11,07,xxx

These prices include zero-dep insurance, extended warranty for 2 yrs(4 yrs 80K) and the basic stuff like floor mat etc.

Consumer offer is 20,000 for the month of july and you might get 2-3000 of corporate discount as well. They have additional exchange bonus of 15000 which is a joke as they adjust the same with your old car price (so your OTR comes down by 20K+corp bonus)

Last edited by rajshenoy : 12th July 2013 at 14:29.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:02   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
I am also trying to find answer to this Synthetic vs mineral stuff. But looks like It comes with mineral oil by default and at 10K we have an option to change to synthetic, semi-synth or continue with mineral oil

OTR Prices

Vdi - 10,27,xxx
Zdi-steel - 10,75,xxx
Zdi-Alloys - 11,07,xxx

These prices include zero-dep insurance, extended warranty for 2 yrs(4 yrs 80K) and the basic stuff like floor mat etc.

Consumer offer is 20,000 for the month of july and you might get 2-3000 of corporate discount as well. They have additional exchange bonus of 15000 which is a joke as they adjust the same with your old car price (so your OTR comes down by 20K+corp bonus)
HI Raj,

For my Zxi I got the below offer,

Exchange Bonus : 15000
Consumer Discount : 7000
Corp Discount : 2000
Discount on 4th Yr Extended Warranty : 2700

That's all for my Zxi. They even charge from MGA floor mat that is Rs. 1350
Is this 20000 discount for Diesel only ?

Because in Pune they are offering 10000 discount for Diesel Ertiga.
Or is there any other discount clubbed in to this 20000 offer?
Old 12th July 2013, 15:04   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
HI Raj,

For my Zxi I got the below offer,

Exchange Bonus : 15000
Consumer Discount : 7000
Corp Discount : 2000
Discount on 4th Yr Extended Warranty : 2700

That's all for my Zxi. They even charge from MGA floor mat that is Rs. 1350
Is this 20000 discount for Diesel only ?

Because in Pune they are offering 10000 discount for Diesel Ertiga.
Or is there any other discount clubbed in to this 20000 offer?
I think these discounts are state specific. We in Karnataka have pretty high taxes. So we deserve much more consumer discounts isnt it. What will be the OTR cost of Zxi for you in MH ? for us its 9.55L

I never knew i can bargain for extended warranty discount. let me try
Old 12th July 2013, 15:10   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
I think these discounts are state specific. We in Karnataka have pretty high taxes. So we deserve much more consumer discounts isnt it. What will be the OTR cost of Zxi for you in MH ? for us its 9.55L

I never knew i can bargain for extended warranty discount. let me try
Yes true..
In Pune The OTR of Ertiga

Ertiga Zxi (With Alloy Wheel) : 8,67,241 (with 3&4th year warranty)

Ertiga ZDi (With Alloy Wheel) :10,26,619 (with 3&4th year warranty)

Around 25,000 to 30,000 difference between Alloy & without Alloy depends on model.
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks