Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 09:23   #46
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Nice review with helpful pictures. Good job. Saw an Ertiga yesterday at trivandrum and its shorter than I thought. Like GTO said, I would use the Ertiga as a spacious 5-seater with loads of space.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

I guess Maruti nowadays sells the same models in the Europe as well, which explains the console layout - typical of European models and quite classy. Maruti used to be quite cost-cutting in nature however, from the new swift and now the Ertiga, they're really becoming classy and plush!
Old 26th April 2012, 09:34   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review, Superb attention to detail. Rated much deserved 5 stars. This review though late was worth the wait !
Just as many of us expected, this seems to be a game changer in a segment that's in no-man's land (a niche brand new segment by itself) and possibly a runaway success for Maruti Suzuki.
For Maruti, I think the Swift platform is possibly the biggest revenue earner and has the highest ROI numbers.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:43   #49
BHPian

It is a good product overall from MSIL, and I believe Petrol version is the most VFM.
However, i believe that following changes would have made this car even better:
  1. 3rd Row split seats
  2. darker shade of interiors, the beige is just too much....hate the lower half of the console in beige.
  3. Better legspace for middle row passengers

Also, i believe that Jazz is a more practical vehicle (Read Petrol) is one needs a spacious 5 seater vehicle with good boot space, great interiors, features etc.

I would not buy an Ertiga if my running is low and if i want a spacious 5 seater rather than a 7 seater.
If i need a 7 seater, then it is a different story altogether.

From the side, front and back, it looks like a combination of Jazz+Innova+Ritz+Swift+Dzire(interiors), and not a new design altogether.

But to sum it all, it is a decent 7 seater, and a big family CarUV.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:50   #50
BHPian

Was waiting for this review for a long time. Thanks for such a detailed review as usual.
This pricing is too good to resist. And it is a Maruti. So the success is guaranteed.
As GTO had mentioned, if the last row of seats are removed, it is a spacious 5-seater with a lot of luggage room at a very competitive price.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! Thanks. Just had a question is the Diesel engine sourced from Fiat as in Swift? I mean the same engine?
Old 26th April 2012, 10:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Nice review! Thanks. Just had a question is the Diesel engine sourced from Fiat as in Swift? I mean the same engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Ertiga's 1.3L diesel is not running the same state of tune as the Dzire. Rather, it's similar to the SX4 and gets a variable geometry turbo instead (the Swift & Dzire get a fixed geometry turbo). The engine develops 89 BHP (@ 4,000 rpm) and 200 Nm of torque (@ 1,750 rpm) in this higher state of tune.
I hope this will clear you doubt.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, it is. No better engine than this at this momement for 1.3L capacity.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:08   #54

great review!! perfect 5.
maruti has probably hit the jackpot once again with the vehicle. i test drove it yesterday at ABT maruti, chennai and it was swift like in all aspects. hard to believe i was actually in a MUV/LUV. for swift/ritz/dzire users who want an upgrade, this car is really a boon.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Other Points:

• A big shoutout to Kpzen for accompanying me on this drive, and for shooting some of the pictures. Thanks to Jalsa777 for processing the images.

Attachment 920135
Hey Vid, awesoem review! Just one request - how about helping us with the procedure to remove spare wheel? (with images). Did you guys try it out?
Old 26th April 2012, 10:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
I would not buy an Ertiga if my running is low and if i want a spacious 5 seater rather than a 7 seater.
Two ways of using it as spacious 5 seater:

a) Push the middle seat fully backwards to liberate class leading leg space. (Use third row as a seat for luggage and seat belts as harness).

b) Push the middle seat (for 2) fully backwards. pull (or fold) one seat of middle row forward. Use one of the third row seat for luggage with seat belt as harness and the other seat for relaxed seating with acres of space to spread legs :-).

Anyways the leg-space constraint may be felt only if you have at least 3 six footers in the family. It is non-issue otherwise.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 10:17   #57
BHPian

Excellent review.can we try replacing the beige AC controls and Steering wheel with swift or dzire's black panels. Will it fit. I am planning to do so as i see too much of biege.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti has done well in the features department. Unlike the Swift & Dzire, the V variants are not bare basic.
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Why is it that mfg'ers skimp on the rear wash & wipe feature for the lower variants [L & V in this case]? Is it that expensive to incorporate? IMO, it is quite a necessary feature to have not only in the monsoons but also if you routinely drive on dusty roads. Not having it on your vehicle may mean compromising on all round visibility, increasing the probability of a mishap.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th April 2012, 10:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Comprehensive review! Enjoyed reading it.You've covered all angles with the pics.
Briefly read the Innova/Ertiga comparison in Autocar yesterday. They've given the crown to Ertiga. I just get a feeling that this may sound the death knell for the SX4 - in its present avatar at least.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Passenger & Cargo Combinations:

The easiest way to get in or out from the 3rd row is to have someone slide the middle row all the way forward, then pull the lever to fold the middle row backrest down. This gives you just enough space to hop out:

Note drawing no.2. The lever on the backrest allows the seat to fold only upto a certain angle. To fold it completely flat, you need to use the other lever at the bottom:

Thanks for the detailed review which everyone was eagerly waiting for.

The lever as shown in the image can be pulled to fold the 2nd row down as well as to slide the seat forward, we dont need a second person to slide the seat forward. This was confirmed with the demo car in showroom.
But in the second demo car, this lever was not functioning- Some quality issues in the first lot?

Last edited by vinodv001 : 26th April 2012 at 10:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks