Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 12:59   #76
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Vids

Excellent review, keep it up. My question is what is the max speed of the diesel and petrol. Also what is the max speed you did on both where you felt it felt planted and not wobbling around.
Old 26th April 2012, 13:03   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did Maruti not officially invite Team-BHP for a review? I ask this because I couldn't find the usual disclaimer that accompanies official invite reviews.
Hi,

To clarify, yes of course, the tested vehicle is a Maruti Media Car. However, this wasn't an overnight drive event at an outstation location with other publications. The test was in the city itself, and the vehicle was handed over to us. Thus, there isn't a need for our standard disclaimer as this wasn't a manufacturer-drive event where the manufacturer pays for the travel expenses.

Other recently tested cars where the manufacturer's obligation was ONLY to hand over the vehicle for a test:

Maruti Dzire
Tata Nano
Skoda Laura vRS
Mahindra XUV500
Toyota Liva & Etios Diesel
BMW 530d
Hyundai i10
among many others

In a nutshell, the disclaimer is only required when we are participating in an official media drive event, and not when vehicles are handed over to us for testing (with no travel expenses borne by the manufacturer).

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:05.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:09   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Beats the whole purpose of the Ertiga if it is used as a 4/5 seater. Spaciousness is a fairly important factor, but only up to a limit. It doesn't matter to the consumer that much as long as the car is not cramped.
+1. If one is looking at a comfortable 4 to 5 seater, one can easily buy the Jazz and Save some bucks as well. It has great Boot space and space for 3 adults in the back and good leg room too. The USP of Ertiga is its clever use of space for the additional occasional passengers.

Last edited by nurni76 : 26th April 2012 at 13:29.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:12   #79
BHPian

Re: Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

The problem with Ertiga is - it is neither here nor there. And to top it all, the bigger problem is the pricing of the diesel, which is too close to the Xylo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2746949
I believe Ertiga running costs should be low compared to Xylo and that should pay off in couple of years
Old 26th April 2012, 13:28   #80
mxx
BHPian

After going through all the reviews of ertiga, the biggest problem that I find is the lack of split folding in third row seats. Having a muv myself, I know very well how much useful that is. Without split folding the rear seats are wasted, if there is some luggage. For example, just think about making an airport trip to drop/pick up a family? Rear seat space is ok considering the size of the vehicle. The packaging is very good, and I dont think any more space is possible for rear seats for this size
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:51   #81
BHPian

Very comprehensive review. The Ertiga would appeal to a broad cross section of people.It could attract a potential hatch buyer with its advantage of huge luggage space if the last row is folded.In my opinion no MUV has a comfortable last seat and for a short distance the Ertiga should do the job reasonably well.With the reputation Maruti enjoys the Ertiga is bound to do well.
Old 26th April 2012, 13:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Well, what happens when you want a bit of both? Occasional use of third row and you want a compact sized car.

If you get a Xylo as a 7 seater you lose out on driving dynamics. The Ertiga has far superior dynamics than a Xylo.If you buy a sedan you lose out on third row seating completely. The Ertiga offers you both.

Instead of saying it's neither here nor there I would say it's a little bit of both. It's a 7 seater that drives close to a sedan. You get best of both worlds with little compromise.
Well, even if the usage of third row is occasional, how practical is the Ertiga?

Instance 1:

Suppose I am using this car as a 5 seater, which means I will be keeping the third row folded, which in turn means I am losing out on rear seat legroom.

Instance 2:

I am using this car as a 5 seater with 3rd row open for more legroom in the middle row, means I dont have any space in the boot, not even as much as hatchbacks.

Instance 3:

I am using this car as a 7 seater (6+1) now. Due to the limited width, 3 people in the middle row is a tight squeeze. Moreover with adults in the 3rd row, again legroom is compromised. I wont complain about the lack of boot as even the Xylo & Innova does not have any luggage space with all 3 rows up.

As you rightly said, the USP of the Ertiga is that it is compact. Ride and handling is another. However, if am really spending 9 Lacs on a 7 seater, I am better of with the Xylo. If I am buying a 7 seater, it is but obvious that I have a huge family, even if the 3rd row is rarely used. Also, I would not have to compromise on the middle row legroom either. Else, I would buy a sedan and be content with the space, boot and even better ride and handling than the Ertiga.

If the diesel Ertiga was atleast a Lac cheaper than the Xylo, it would have been tremendous value. At this price, I see no point in living with compromises. That is why I feel, the petrol Ertiga makes more sense.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Another fantastic product from the Suzuki stables and the pricing is even better.

A very precise review and covers everything one needs to know before they put their money down on the Ertiga.

As for the Swift sport, why bother with the K14 when the SX4 mill is available. This will make it even sweeter.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:01   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am using this car as a 5 seater with 3rd row open for more legroom in the middle row, means I dont have any space in the boot, not even as much as hatchbacks.

Instance 3:

I am using this car as a 7 seater (6+1) now. Due to the limited width, 3 people in the middle row is a tight squeeze. Moreover with adults in the 3rd row, again legroom is compromised. I wont complain about the lack of boot as even the Xylo & Innova does not have any luggage space with all 3 rows up.
Unless the luggage is very big, you can put it on the third row seats. I guess they will carry 2 big suitcases with ease.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review.

I am yet to check out the Ertiga in person, but my gut feeling is that Ertiga would not be a practical vehicle for a family of 6 footers.

But a family where the gents are around 5'8" and ladies and children even less, may be satisfied with the legroom offered by Ertiga.

I have to say that I hate the overuse of beige, especially on steering, gear knob and carpets.

Also, it seems that Maruti has purposely not provided features like ACC, driver hand rest and split folding seats in the 3rd row. These features may be added when the vehicle is due for a facelift.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 15:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review, Vid6639. And quite an awaited one too on the forum.

I had checked out the Ertiga last Saturday at Chennai and felt the same problem you mentioned - getting in/out of the 3rd row is a pain - mentioned it in the other Ertiga thread. But once there, for someone of average height (5' 8" or so), it is enough space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan
Price difference of 60k (between zdi and vdi in Punjab) just for alloys steering controls and rear wash wiper has led me to convince my dad to change booking to Vdi.
It is not just that. You also get driver & passenger airbags, driver seat-height adjuster etc. I would think you pay the 60K just to get the safety of the airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
I must confess I fall in your 35-45 target segment definition and something like this seems to be an admirable replacement for my 2006 Swift which has limited utility on long drives.
I too fall in that age bracket and the car seems to make a strong case for me. My confusion is more about whether petrol or diesel - the former is a good-deal price wise, but latter seems friendly for a people-mover and due to low fuel price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
The problem with Ertiga is - it is neither here nor there. And to top it all, the bigger problem is the pricing of the diesel, which is too close to the Xylo.
Like Vid6639 replied, the Ertiga is a bit of both (7-seater with a car-like dynamics/footprint) which is what makes it attractive to many of us here. We do like the Innova, but dont want that bulk for the rare times we would have 7 on board. And as far as the Xylo is concerned, it also has the bulk issue, plus it is ugly-looking. Factor in reliability into the equation and the Suzuki has an edge.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 15:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
+1. If one is looking at a comfortable 4 to 5 seater, one can easily buy the Jazz and Save some bucks as well. It has great Boot space and space for 3 adults in the back and good leg room too. The USP of Ertiga is its clever use of space for the additional occasional passengers.
Can you add 2 more seats to Jazz for couple weeks in a year?

The whole point here is adding to the existing practicality.
Jazz is nodoubt the most practical 5 seater we have in our country today.
Ertiga is the most practical 5+2 A 7 seater hatch - thats what it is.. I think the country needs this and its not any direct threat to existing MUVs. MSIL saying they wont sell to fleet operators is a hogwash. Its just a 7 seater hatch for mostly city conditions.
Fortunately for them, there is no min width criteria for a 7 seater. It explains why they refer to it as a 5+2..

Aside: is there a way to remove just one seat from the last row?
Still makes it roomier and can carry decent luggage while seating 6!

Last edited by Equus : 26th April 2012 at 16:01.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:12   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, even if the usage of third row is occasional, how practical is the Ertiga?

Instance 1:

Suppose I am using this car as a 5 seater, which means I will be keeping the third row folded, which in turn means I am losing out on rear seat legroom.

Instance 2:

Instance 3:

As you rightly said, the USP of the Ertiga is that it is compact. Ride and handling is another. However, if am really spending 9 Lacs on a 7 seater, I am better of with the Xylo. If I am buying a 7 seater, it is but obvious that I have a huge family, even if the 3rd row is rarely used. Also, I would not have to compromise on the middle row legroom either. Else, I would buy a sedan and be content with the space, boot and even better ride and handling than the Ertiga.

If the diesel Ertiga was atleast a Lac cheaper than the Xylo, it would have been tremendous value. At this price, I see no point in living with compromises. That is why I feel, the petrol Ertiga makes more sense.
Instance 1: You buy a Vento or a Verna. Both don't have great legroom in the rear but with the Ertiga you can keep the 3rd row up even when traveling 5 and have great legroom. If you get a Xylo for 5 people you are driving a bigger car but not using it for what it's meant for.
Solution: Don't drive with the 3rd row down when traveling with 5.

Instance 2: You travel with 5 and luggage. Depending on luggage you have 3 options.

Solution1: First is to have the 3rd row seats up and dump the luggage on the seats as well as use the small boot.

Solution2: Fold the 3rd row down as much as it will go. The backrest will be at an angle but you can still get suitcases in easily.

Solution3: You have lots of luggage. You have no choice but to fold the third row down and slide the middle row forward.

Instance 3: Traveling all 7. The Ertiga is meant for short journeys with full 7 or for occasional use.

I clearly agree with you that the Xylo fits the bill better for a true 7 seater. But in the end where is the driver enjoyment? You buy a Xylo you get a boat for free thrown in on the highway and for city you have to contend with the size. If your need is to ferry 7 people or 5 plus luggage 7 days of the week then you shouldn't even be looking at the Ertiga.

Also, another point when you look at the specs. The Ertiga has the best power to weight ratio from all the MUV's out there. torque to weight is nearly 10% more than the Xylo and power to weight is 20% more.

Over the Xylo you get better performance, better fuel efficiency, Maruti tag, better reliability, better ride, better handling, easier and more car like to drive. What you lose is a bit of space in the third row. If you don't use that 80% of the time I would say the Ertiga is the way to go and worth the extra over a xylo.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:19   #89
BHPian

Guys,

For all those who crib about the middle row discomfort, get this - Even my Corolla (2006) is no spacious for 3 tall adults!

All the time when you had to look at a bigger vehicle like Innova/Xylo for your occasional long distance drives and crib about the length and bulk of these vehicles in city, there seems to be a solution available now - ERTIGA!

I've said this in the previous thread, and I'll say it again here:

To me, the Ertiga is a whole package which will appeal to you if

-you are say around 35 or 35+;
-have 1 or 2 kids;
-have your parents visiting you or you visit them;
-your parents stay with you;
-you take your parents along for a few trips a year;
-you take a few trips a year;
-and you are in the 21st century job that pays you around a lakh or more every month;

So here is just the perfect all-rounder car for you, unless you insist on buying 2 separate cars for separate purposes!

This I believe is the USP of the product and MS has done a fantastic job of providing a modern and refined one at that thus catering to a wide range of people.
luvurride is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Can you add 2 more seats to Jazz for couple weeks in a year?

The whole point here is adding to the existing practicality.
Jazz is nodoubt the most practical 5 seater we have in our country today.
Ertiga is the most practical 5+2 A 7 seater hatch - thats what it is.. I think the country needs this and its not any direct threat to existing MUVs. MSIL saying they wont sell to fleet operators is a hogwash. Its just a 7 seater hatch for mostly city conditions.
Fortunately for them, there is no min width criteria for a 7 seater. It explains why they refer to it as a 5+2..

Aside: is there a way to remove just one seat from the last row?
Still makes it roomier and can carry decent luggage while seating 6!
Hi Equus, this is what I am saying. I was replying to what GTO was saying about removing the last row and using it as a 5 seater hatch, in which case it beats the purpose of Ertiga. Instead one could go for a Jazz. Ertiga's USP is the fact that it has the last row for a couple of people to sit in reasonable comfort.
In fact I was initially looking for a Jazz (they had stopped bookings) and later looked at Ertiga and found it perfect and went ahead and booked it

Most Viewed