Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 14:16   #136
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Fantastic review of a brilliant package!

One question Vid, how would you compare ride quality and handling of Ertiga and DZire (or maybe Etios D that you reviewed some time back) in city and highway conditions?

Overall, I believe Maruti has identified the all-round needs of numerous Indian families very well and has crafted a pacakge that is about to create an important market segment. C-class sedan segment should be the worst hit by Eritga wave. Hats off to Maruti for this timely product at a decent price point!
Old 27th April 2012, 14:53   #137
BHPian

Great review. Rated 5*.

Reading the number of posts about third row folding and consequent second row legroom issues, I am guessing there will be sufficient Jugaad solutions in the after market. Probably redesigned shorter third row back rest with, may be also with a split. Sounds like a good business idea?

In general I believe quite some people would have given the Innova a miss only because it is huge, and the 7 seater utility is limited to a few runs (the husge psace is not utilized most of the tines). They would just go for a sedan instead. I think most such people would not consider the Ertiga seriously.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 15:18   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And I have seen many such occasions when this type of a car would have been a great fit.

Very well put!

Kudos to Maruti for opening up a new segment. The only fly in the ointment is the 1.5L premium for the diesel. Just too much!

It's a car you wish anyone of your friend/family buys so that you can borrow once in a while but don't want to put your own money because you don't need it all the time

Last edited by noopster : 27th April 2012 at 15:28. Reason: Please don't quote a large post in its entirety. It makes it difficult for our small-screen users
Old 27th April 2012, 15:54   #139
BHPian

An hour ago, had the opportunity to test drive the Ertiga ZDi. It is an amazingly designed vehicle.

We were 6 people and utilised all the three rows with the configuration set to maximum seating pleasure and found it to have decent legroom, even in the third row.

A luggage rack on the roof and it is a deal breaker for most sedans and entry level SUVs!

Great job Maruti Suzuki. :-)

P.S: A great review from Team-BHP. All the points mentioned and highlighted here are enough to make a decision, whether or not to go for it.
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:42   #140
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If only MS had increased the width by 2 inches and the rear overhang by 2 inches. That would have given good shoulder room for 3 in middle row and decent space in the boot too. But cant have it all i guess.

A question to experts. Just like the long wheel base couldnt they have had a "wide wheel base" to the swift platform for ertiga?
Old 27th April 2012, 17:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

Cancellation/changing of bookings of Dezire and onto Ertiga is on. Maruti is getting the feel of cannibalism.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th April 2012 at 17:28.
Old 27th April 2012, 17:50   #142
BHPian

Great review.
Just 2 questions crossed my mind:
1. How will the 1.4 Ltr Petrol Engine perform on steep inclines as in hilly regions with say 5 people on board? Will it strain too much?
2. Since the fuel tank is located at the bottom, is it possible to get punctured due to stray stones/other such items while driving?
Old 27th April 2012, 18:57   #143

Awesome review Vid6639. Your attention to detail is very impressive. Like GTO mentioned your review deserves a 5 star rating.
Old 27th April 2012, 20:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Vid6639 and T-bhp for this much awaited review.

My sister was looking to replace her WagonR for a diesel sedan and came across Etriga during her visit to Bangalore last week. We saw the car in flesh at Bannerghatta road showroom and much impressed with its VFM. Visited Indus Kochi today and made a booking for zdi version though TD vehicle will be sent only day after tomorrow.

Hope it will not be a pain to drive in city (mostly alone), little bit of "swalpa adjust maadi" type short trips for 7-8 pax including kids and occasional long drives with 4-5 pax and lot of luggage.

Last edited by coolclouds : 27th April 2012 at 20:43.
Old 27th April 2012, 21:46   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Also the Innova's body on frame construction and superior ground clearance makes it much better on rough roads.

Source : Autocar India

Innova's GC is 170 mm
Ertiga's GC is 185 mm

Surprising Autocar calls Innova's GC superior to Ertiga!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 27th April 2012 at 21:58.
Old 27th April 2012, 22:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Innova's GC is 170 mm
Ertiga's GC is 185 mm

Surprising Autocar calls Innova's GC superior to Ertiga!
Not entirely incorrect.

First of all, the Innova's GC is 176 mm, not 170.

Toyota - Innova Specification

Now, the Scorpio's GC is 180 mm. So would you say the Ertiga has more GC than the Scorpio? By looking at the two cars, it can be clearly noticed that the Scorpio has more GC. Then why this kolaveri?

Simple. Scorpio, like the Innova, is a rear wheel drive. So it has a rear differential. Usually the GC is measured from the lowest point of the body, which in rear wheel drive cars, is the differential. The diff protrudes way below the body but it does not actually affect the GC as it is in line with the rear axle and moves vertically with the rear wheels. Hence, it never scrapes the ground. Same with the Innova.

So even though on paper, the Innova has lesser GC than the Ertiga by 4mm, in reality, the Innova enjoys much more GC than the front wheel driven Ertiga.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th April 2012 at 22:43.
raj_5004 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 23:02   #147
BHPian

Thanks for this detailed review and today I checked up with Ertiga ZXi at M/s Vishnu Motors, Chennai. The car is excellent though I feel that ingress is easy and comfortable, while egress is not that easy, I am 6foot tall.

Also when enquired about waiting period it is 3-4 months for Diesel, and it is 1 month for petrol. They right now have Superior White ZXi, Silky Silver VXi and Serene Blue ZXi readily available for cash bookings.
Old 27th April 2012, 23:04   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Not entirely incorrect.

First of all, the Innova's GC is 176 mm, not 170.

Toyota - Innova Specification

Now, the Scorpio's GC is 180 mm. So would you say the Ertiga has more GC than the Scorpio? By looking at the two cars, it can be clearly noticed that the Scorpio has more GC. Then why this kolaveri?

Simple. Scorpio, like the Innova, is a rear wheel drive. So it has a rear differential. Usually the GC is measured from the lowest point of the body, which in rear wheel drive cars, is the differential. The diff protrudes way below the body but it does not actually affect the GC as it is in line with the rear axle and moves vertically with the rear wheels. Hence, it never scrapes the ground. Same with the Innova.

So even though on paper, the Innova has lesser GC than the Ertiga by 4mm, in reality, the Innova enjoys much more GC than the front wheel driven Ertiga.

OK, it may be the axle's measurement but that's still a factor to consider. Otherwise, Toyota would have stated the GC measurement apart from the rear axle. Potholes in Chennai are nearly 4 to 5 inches high above the road and Innova's rear axle will definitely take a hit or for that matter any car with a low GC and a rear axle that's low enough. Ertiga doesn't have a rear axle and it's got higher GC which will work in it's favour in such a situation. As you mentioned elsewhere, let's call a spade a spade and move on.
Old 28th April 2012, 00:08   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Not entirely incorrect.

First of all, the Innova's GC is 176 mm, not 170..

...So even though on paper, the Innova has lesser GC than the Ertiga by 4mm, in reality, the Innova enjoys much more GC than the front wheel driven Ertiga.
Plus, added weight plays a huge factor in determining ground-clearance.

170mm may seem like a decent amount, but how the suspension handles the added weight of 5 occupants + luggage makes a huge difference.

For example, the Civic's ground-clearance is 170 mm on paper. But when you squeeze in 5 people and add some luggage to the equation, it becomes a lawn mower - Courtesy the long (spring) travel and soft suspension setting.

So how does the Ertiga behave with 5 occupants and luggage (or 6-7 occupants) on the highway. Does it drop down considerably? I'm not sure.

Test-drives and initial ownership reports may serve as brilliant feedback tools on GC, sooner or later.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2012 at 00:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 08:58   #150
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this has been suggested here, but the most debated third row of seats could have been like mentioned below :

1) They could have folding mechanism in the backrest itself.
2) Maruti could have fitted rails on the rear most seat , so that seat can be moved a little towards the rear and the backrest folded.
This way it would not have banged against the 2nd row of seats IMO.

I no packaging engineer, but this is my imagination which might be wrong.

ERTIGA is an answer to those families who reluctantly buy a SUV even when they do not need it.

185mm GC, but a fuel tank located in the middle, can it make it to ladakh without a Sump guard?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks