Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 14:43   #286
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

I went to Bimal, Mahadevapura couple of weeks back to check the Ertiga's interior space utilizing all three rows. Though I did not get a test drive (only the VVT was available, I give a big thumbs up to the clever packaging. The movable second row is absolutely brilliant. I'm 5'8" and it is very very easy decision to go for the Ertiga for those occasional full-family trips. The space and packaging are really good. Compare with a scorp for example.
Another factor is that the luggage space is quite a bit and it can take a decent amount of luggage.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:35   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir View Post
I have upgraded to 205/60 R-15 Yokohama A Drive on my Ertiga ZDI. I checked the tyre calculator. The increase in diameter is 3mm and overall increase is also well within 2% limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Why not post some pics with upgraded tyres.
I second the request. Could you please share a few pics of the upgraded tyres? I am expecting delivery of our zdi in a week or two and would like to check out the pics to help me decide on whether I should upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I booked Ertiga ZDi on 31-mar with Kalyani motors. The sales guy told at that time ZDI deliveries are slower compared to other variants, but it should be available within 3 months of booking i.e., by end of June. Now he is saying it may take 2 more months.

I request any other BHPians who booked ZDi around that time (i.e. before the apr-12 launch) about the status of their booking? I am just a bit concerned that the sales guy may be prioritizing other bookings ahead of mine. I am not in India right now and I am not able to meet him in person.
We booked our Ertiga ZDI Granite Grey around the last week of March too. We first booked for the dzire zdi and changed to ertiga soon after the launch as per the suggestion from Dealer. This is at Pratham in HSR layout which is walkable distance from our place. We were informed of the allotment from Maruti a few days back. Now trying to get the loan process complete and hopefully pay the amount this week or we are told the car will be allotted from the next batch with a delay of 4-6 weeks.

We received a call couple of weeks ago from the dealer saying a White VDI was available and we were suggested to take it to avoid longer wait on the ZDI. But we decided to wait instead as we didn't want to compromise on airbags. We later received an e-mail as well suggesting that we should go for the VDI to avoid long wait times. But we have been waiting for this vehicle since January since the expo unveil so we didn't mind waiting for more time.

In any case we were informed of the allotment few days ago which came as quite a surprise. So I would suggest to wait it out and I would guess the wait depends on the color too. White ZDI may require more waiting (and not White VDI) but that is just my hunch though. I do know we were one of the earliest to book ZDI at Pratham in HSR so that helps too. If we had booked at Pratham in ORR then I am told the wait would have been longer. I would also venture a guess that Maruti could start prioritizing ZDI soon given the number of bookings (quite different from Swift and Dzire where VDI dominates) and the ZDI wait times should reduce.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st May 2012 at 00:58.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:39   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishul View Post
We booked our Ertiga ZDI Granite Grey around the last week of March too. ...... I would also venture a guess that Maruti could start prioritizing ZDI soon given the number of bookings (quite different from Swift and Dzire where VDI dominates) and the ZDI wait times should reduce.
What details were conveyed regarding allotment?
Old 30th May 2012, 07:22   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
What details were conveyed regarding allotment?
An e-mail and phone call saying an Ertiga ZDi granite grey dispatched from Maruti has been alotted to us. We were informed in the e-mail of the final date by when we should make the balance payment and a note saying any delay in payment will cause the allotment to be made from the next batch.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:35   #290
BHPian

Quote:
An e-mail and phone call saying an Ertiga ZDi granite grey dispatched from Maruti has been alotted to us. We were informed in the e-mail of the final date by when we should make the balance payment and a note saying any delay in payment will cause the allotment to be made from the next batch.
Thanks. For our booking, we were informed the engine/chassis #. No email as such.
Was this email from the dealer?

Last edited by xotiq : 30th May 2012 at 08:37.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:50   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I booked Ertiga ZDi on 31-mar with Kalyani motors. The sales guy told at that time ZDI deliveries are slower compared to other variants, but it should be available within 3 months of booking i.e., by end of June. Now he is saying it may take 2 more months.

I request any other BHPians who booked ZDi around that time (i.e. before the apr-12 launch) about the status of their booking? I am just a bit concerned that the sales guy may be prioritizing other bookings ahead of mine. I am not in India right now and I am not able to meet him in person.
I booked my ZDI from Rohan Motors GGN on Apr 14th. Till date I have no clue on the delivery date. I asked the dealer a couple of days back and he says they are not getting ZDis and he cannot indicate when the vehicle can be delivered. This uncertainty is killing.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:07   #292
BHPian

My friend booked a Ertiga ZXI back in the first week of April. The delivery date has been postponed thrice!!!
He is yet to get the car, even though supposedly diesel versions are in more demand than petrol version.
The latest logic now offered is that there is too little demand for ZXi!!!
Old 30th May 2012, 12:47   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Thanks. For our booking, we were informed the engine/chassis #. No email as such.
Was this email from the dealer?
Yes, the email was from the dealer. We didn't get any information on the engine/chassis# though. I have asked for the official accessories list but haven't received one yet.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:11   #294
BHPian

I have attached the accessories list I received from the dealer. Interesting to see roof carriers on the list. But strangely I don't see any bluetooth module on the list. No pictures with the list so hard to make a choice here and will probably wait to see some of these at the dealership before purchasing.
Attached Images

trishul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 20:05   #295
BHPian

Quote:
I have attached the accessories list I received from the dealer. Interesting to see roof carriers on the list. But strangely I don't see any bluetooth module on the list. No pictures with the list so hard to make a choice here and will probably wait to see some of these at the dealership before purchasing.
It looks like base diesel is best buy, and then we can kit it up.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:41   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
We were only 2 in my NatGas powered Santro & managed to overtake one (in Serene Blue shade) easily (though I admit that I had to speed over 100 to catch-up & overtake the same... despite the speed limit of 90 in that section ) to let my wife have a good look of the car.

She was convinced about the vehicle being good (there were 7 people, with 2 boys around 12-15 in the last row & 3 well built ladies in the middle), it was managing 90 kmph easily & the occupants seemed comfortable despite the absence of sun shade (apparently because of roof mounted AC for the middle & third row).
The other day while driving from Dehradun to Delhi, an Ertiga VXi overtook me effortlessly, despite the fact that I was doing a decent 90kph on the 4 lane highway. It had 4 occupants - all adults and was effortlessly cruising at what I surmised to be in the range of 110-120 kph. The highway manners of the car as brought out earlier are good - MSI have sure hit the sweet spot here and have got a winner on their hands.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
The other day while driving from Dehradun to Delhi, an Ertiga VXi overtook me effortlessly, despite the fact that I was doing a decent 90kph on the 4 lane highway. It had 4 occupants - all adults and was effortlessly cruising at what I surmised to be in the range of 110-120 kph. The highway manners of the car as brought out earlier are good - MSI have sure hit the sweet spot here and have got a winner on their hands.
that MSI have hit the sweet spot, & look who else is confirming the same:

Ertiga vs Innova - Feature - Autocar India

Quote:
ACI's Final Verdict

As a personal family car, the Ertiga works better. It rides well, is less cumbersome in town and does almost everything the Innova does, with as much grace. It comes with all the features that the Innova has and is substantially cheaper too. In fact, the only significant place the Innova has a true advantage is if everyone in your large family is large – the Innova’s extra space will come in handy. Also, the Innova’s body-on-frame construction and superior ground clearance make the Toyota much better on rough roads. Where the dainty Ertiga bobs up and down, the Innova thumps through. However, in the final analysis, the Ertiga does almost as much as the Innova (and in some cases more) for just 60 percent of the price. You simply can’t argue with that.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:03   #298
BHPian

Awesome review! Infact, the Ertiga is the best buy in that segment. I drove the car last month and thought it'll be average to drive. But no, it looks that MSIL have built a car which can handle many situations are per the requirement. The car drives like any other normal hatchback. I call it a "Limoback". The MJD has proved it once again that it can handle any kind of platform and bodyshell.
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:34   #299
Senior - BHPian

Guys, first off my apologies for not starting an independent ownership thread; now for a quick update from my recent Ooty trip in my Ertiga Zdi.
Those folks who are apprehensive about its handling in the ghat section can rest. Agreed there is a slight turbo lag below 1700 RPM but having said that the Ertiga tackled the hair pin bends with aplomb.
Due to the summer rush there was B2b traffic all through the ghat section. We were 4 people with a HUGE load of boxes and other misc items. Every time I had to move off on the steepest incline the engine showed no signs of any struggle. I was all the more cautious as there was an Innova following me and I could sense from my RVM that they were checking out my car .
On the highway the tall 5th gear really does wonders! On my Swift while driving on the highway I always sense the engine running out of steam quickly due to its short gearing. On the Ertiga I was able to comfortably maintain a smooth 110 cruise all day with the engine purring happily. Boy racer types can look elsewhere (read Vento/Rapid). This is a comfortable highway cruiser with linear acceleration. The trick here is to upshift quickly and see the engine reward you with smooth power delivery.

For the first time ever the brakes are excellent for a MSIL car. Has got good bite and very confidence inspiring at high speed. ABS with EBD has worked wonders!

Took a lunch break in Vellore where the heat was 45° C. The AC was an absolute chiller and brought the temperature down in no time. This was after the car stood in the sun for 2 hours. Of course I have the 3M film on my Ertiga and have no intention of removing them what come may.

On the Swift all the doors close with a tinny bang. On the ertiga it was a pleasant surprise to find out that the doors close with a soft but firm thud. Here' s the best bit: the hatch door requires ZERO EFFORT to close! You just bring it down and the spring takes care of closing. Nowadays I get pissed off when people bang my door to close. I don't do valet parking and I always self park. Reverse camera is a must for the Ertiga. I'm glad I installed it.
I never follow any run in procedure for any of my cars and even so with the Ertiga. The engine has bedded in beautifully and continues to do so. The engine was just 600 kms young when I did the ooty leg yet it worked a treat!

I've always envied the drivers of Volvo multi axle intercity coaches for getting to drive those majestic beasts. For the first time I feel like driving a Volvo in my ertiga in my own way! Thanks for reading!
swiftdiesel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:25   #300
MCR
BHPian

Took a TD of Ertiga ZDI today. Here are a few key points;

1. Easy Ingress and egress. You simply walk-in.
2. Soft and comfortable seats in the first and second row. Third row seating average.
3. Beige all round. Gives an airy feeling to the car.
4. Excellent visibility from the drivers seat.
5. Seat height adjustment and the steering adjustments have good range. Easy to find a comfortable driving posture.
6. Pedals are placed too close to each other and are small!
7. Gear lever placement is a bit low. Badly missed the driver armrest!
8. Power window buttons are ugly to look at. Auto down and up only on driver side.
9. Joy stick for the mirror adjustment looks like a cheap Chinese toy.
10. ORVM's are small.
11. The engine is very silent. Does not sound like a diesel. Pulls effortlessly and has loads of torque. Slight turbo lag present but not really annoying!
12. The gearbox is smooth and the gears slot in quiet effortlessly.
13. The handling is almost car like. You can take a fast corner at 80 Kmph without much worry.
14. Body roll is controlled very well. Also quick lane changing manoeuvres while overtaking does not induce any body roll.
15. The car remains stable even while giving quick steering inputs.
16. Brakes are below average and spongy. Need to brake early. However once the brakes start biting, the car decelerates very well.
17. The second row can be pushed all the way back liberating king size legroom. The seats and arm-rest are very comfortable.
18. AC is not an absolute chiller! Takes some time to show its effect.
19. Third row is seriously for kids! This also eats into the luggage space.
20. Excellent packaging and under-tray storage space in the boot.
21. Very impressive overall package!

I was left very impressed by this car! The interior part quality is quiet good and the finishing is excellent. At INR 9,86,xxx/- for a VDI variant, I think its a sheer VFM offering.

Last edited by MCR : 3rd June 2012 at 18:27.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks