Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 19:53   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Took delivery of my White VDI and came home just about an hour ago.
- Sitting position is very comfortable.

Congrats on the buy!

How does the softness of the seat and the suspension compare with your Getz ? I have never driven a Getz, so just curious to know

Wishing you many fun filled tours in your new car
Old 29th June 2012, 20:21   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
How does the softness of the seat and the suspension compare with your Getz ? I have never driven a Getz, so just curious to know
The seats are soft and the suspensions are stiff. At least compared to my opel corsa.
Stiff suspension is ok. in corsa, i give 2 hoots to broken tarmac. but can do the same with eritga. if you care for the back of fellow passenger, you need to slow down. But then, I guess all maruti/jap cars are like this. I found even the city's suspension little stiff.
Seats are little soft for my liking. Also not sure how long it will last. the corsa seats were little stiff. and was comfortable in long drives. they also aged very well, in 8 years.
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 22:48   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Congrats buddy.
Thank you!

Quote:
My observation is exact opp. The clutch seems to be on heavier side. And the gear shift seems to be quite good.
May be its relative to what we are used to driving earlier. Corsa probably has a lighter clutch than Getz.

Quote:
yes, 2nd gear has a nice pull. 2/3 are gear for city. any open road, you need to make sure the landing zone for 4th is at 2k. if you keep it this way, then the car is breeze. Initially I struggled. Now getting more and more comfortable.
I did another short drive with 4 people and now felt little slower pickup in 2nd gear than with 2 people. But it still picks up slowly even in moderate inclines and with AC. Thats far better than my Getz in same conditions.

Quote:
BTW, did they give you the copy pdi document? When I asked about it, SA kept talking some nonsense. Couldn't manage to get that.
They have given a delivery checklist document. Is that the one you are referring to?
Old 29th June 2012, 22:52   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Congrats on the buy!

Wishing you many fun filled tours in your new car
Thanks for your wishes.

Softness is almost same and suspension feels definitely softer than my Getz. My wife also felt the same while we drove through many unevenly tarred roads. We both are more comfortable because the seats are of just the right height for us. Getz' seats are too low in comparison and less underthigh support.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 22:57   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post

I did another short drive with 4 people and now felt little slower pickup in 2nd gear than with 2 people. But it still picks up slowly even in moderate inclines and with AC. Thats far better than my Getz in same conditions.

I have driven my Ertiga to Ooty and back with 4 people on board and luggage. Laid all my fears to rest as the vehicle performed amazingly in the ghat section. I also should add that the front and rear AC was ON until I reached Coonoor from Mettupalayam where you find the 30 or so hairpin bends. No qualms about its performannce.

And hey congrats btw guys on your purchase!
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 00:07   #396
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Saw this very interesting comparison between an Ertiga and an Innova at Ertiga vs Innova video comparison - Videos - Autocar India Mobile Edition

Autocar has pronounced that the Ertiga is better than the Innova. Kudos to Suzuki for such a product, which is also proving to be a success around the world.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 06:50   #397
BHPian

Guys. Took delivery of my Silky Silver Ertiga Zdi yesterday. Some initial observations.

This is my first Diesel, my earlier cars being SX4 ZXi and Wagon R, and the one thing I can clearly say is the engine vibration. When I switch off or on the ignition, there is a judder from the engine cabin of the engine giving one the indication it is diesel. The insulation levels are really good. I hardly could hear the engine noise from inside.

The other thing that is irritating me little is the turbo lag below 1800RPM. The idea is to get the engine to around 1800rpm and upshift. Then the drive becomes effortless. Also I could not find the surge at 2000 rpm as pronounced as the test drive car. Is this because the engine is still new? Will it open up a little more with more Kms on the ODO?
Gear shift was effortless and less notchy than my SX4. What I really loved is the ride quality. It is much better than SX4

Interiors are well designed and as mentioned in my TD posts, really comfortable for 6 avg adults and a Kid. Quality of interiors much better from my SX4, though I felt the Indicator stalks were a bit hard and difficult to use.

I will be posting a detailed ownership review soon. Will post as many pictures as possible

some quick bits:

On road price Gurgaon approx Rs 9.15 L. This includes insurance taken from outside through RS giving me a saving of Rs 5.5K. No discounts or freebies from the dealer.

Accessories added: Floor mats and Door sill. Cost Rs 2100

Diesel in vehicle at time of delivery - 2 ltrs. In addition the dealer gave me 3 Ltrs coupon
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 22:01   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Guys. Took delivery of my Silky Silver Ertiga Zdi yesterday. Some initial observations.
Congratulations @nurni76. You are one of those lucky few who got Zdi. Enjoy the drive.

I haven't driven on an open road till now to check for surge after 2000RPM. But gear shift is not at all smooth in mine. I am hoping it will improve over time.

I got black floor mats, a small idol and a perfume as freebies from dealer.
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:06   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Hey that's my Society in Greater Noida in the background. Pls do let me know if you do any other review there and I can also be part of it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:36   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Upgraded my tyres to 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy LC. Got a good deal (So I think) from Reliance Autozone Ambience Mall Gurgaon (Sudhir used your reference here). Got Rs 3100 for each of the 4 tyres and Rs 3500 for the Spare Tyre. The cost of the Primacy Rs 5800. Overall incremental money spent Rs 13100. The ride has improved marginally while the handling has really improved. I feel the steering feedback and the braking seem to have a perceptible improvement. My colleague who was with me felt a noticeable improvement in the overall ride quality though. I will post detailed pictures soon along with my review.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:07   #401
BHPian

^^^That is a good deal.

BTW, was driving down the elevated highway from e.city to silkboard. I could sense that a minor sway of the car, due to strong cross wind. any one faced this? never driven a tall/big vehicle like this.

Also, this elevated highway goes up and down in some section. I could sense that the vehicle is actually slowing down, when it was doing 80kmph in 5th gear. down shifting to 4th didn't help, to speed up things. engine is just 300+ kms old. not sure if I am stressing it too much. 4 adults, 2 kids onboard.

Last edited by gkrishn : 2nd July 2012 at 19:10.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:35   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
BTW, was driving down the elevated highway from e.city to silkboard. I could sense that a minor sway of the car, due to strong cross wind. any one faced this? never driven a tall/big vehicle like this.

Also, this elevated highway goes up and down in some section. I could sense that the vehicle is actually slowing down, when it was doing 80kmph in 5th gear. down shifting to 4th didn't help, to speed up things. engine is just 300+ kms old. not sure if I am stressing it too much. 4 adults, 2 kids onboard.
Both are perfectly normal. The winds were very strong today and some cases I have seen even my Altis sway due to heavy cross winds.

The BETL has some sections which are pretty steep and in the diesel if you step out of turbo band it will slow down.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:05   #403
BHPian

Pictures of my Tyre ugrade (Teaser to my ownership review).

The alloy you see on the front was used just to test how 205/60/15 looks on the car. Initially thought of 205 but then finalised the 195.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img00036201207021521.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img00034201207021521.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2012, 12:48   #404
BHPian

Have been driving my VDi in peak hour traffic between home and office since yesterday. Drive-ability with AC on is excellent with single occupant.

Clutch is light. First gear which is very short, is a big boon. Even when I am stopped on a steep incline just release the clutch and the vehicle moves on. The only drawback, if you may call it so with the short 1st gear is that the movement is jerky at times. On level road, even 3rd gear can pull off from 1200 RPM (slowly, though) but I am not yet using that as the manual advises not to be in high gears at low RPMs during the initial running in. Hence I am shifting gears more often. If the gear shifting becomes less stiff it will be even better to drive.

MID is showing me average fuel consumption of 13.0-13.1. This is with AC ON all the time, using mostly 2nd/3rd gear only, rarely 4th gear, and never 5th gear, no switching off engine at any signal light. Its a commute that takes almost 1 hour for 13km with about 15 signal lights, several road humps and busstops en route.

Last edited by mohan41 : 3rd July 2012 at 12:50.
mohan41 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 15:35   #405
BHPian

Reading on other forums that Ertiga prices are being hiked. Can someone confirm this news?

Most Viewed