Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 14:01   #601
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Our Ertiga completed 1111 kms and the headlamps are the major concern. Any suggestions to improve lights without affecting warranty?

Also, the gear shifting is not smooth sometimes while shifting from 5th to 4th. Anyone else felt like this?
Yes, headlamps are a concern - they seem very weak in low beam mode. Not very strong in high beam either.

Regarding gear shifting - I agree with you. When I gave my vehicle for the 1000 kms check-up, I mentioned it to the service advisor/supervisor. His reply was that it will become smooth after some time - possibly after 5K check-up. I was not very convinced with the reply, will have to wait and see.

Otherwise, I feel that the vehicle is running very well, my eyes have been on the FE that I can finally hope to get after the engine has settled down (maybe post 5k kms).

Thanks.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:53   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post

Regarding gear shifting - I agree with you. When I gave my vehicle for the 1000 kms check-up, I mentioned it to the service advisor/supervisor. His reply was that it will become smooth after some time - possibly after 5K check-up. I was not very convinced with the reply, will have to wait and see.
We too got the same reply from the advisor today
Another thing noted is lot of mist forming outside glass during night drive. Tried various a/c setting but still unable to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
Otherwise, I feel that the vehicle is running very well, my eyes have been on the FE that I can finally hope to get after the engine has settled down (maybe post 5k kms)
I guess the ideal speed would be 60km/hr in 5th gear for most FE where it shows a maximum of 30km/ltr on straight roads with very light foot. We got an average of 22.7km/ltr with a/c on (in a span of 50 kms, before first service) within city with very light traffic.

Don't know how reliable these FE figures are.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20120915_162856.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:39   #603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Another thing noted is lot of mist forming outside glass during night drive. Tried various a/c setting but still unable to fix.
It is common when humidity is quite high. The following steps might help you to ease the problem:

1. Ensure that the vent is not directed upward, that is it is not throwing air towards the glass as many of us do it to escape AC's chill
2. Use wiper for a little while
3. Open the windows slightly
4. Open fresh air duct

The glass should dry itself up after 5/10 minutes.

The mist/dew usually forms when the relative humidity is high. It found on the side of glass which is exposed to higher temperature. That's why during monsoons it is formed on the outer side while during winters it is on the inside.

Perhaps herein lies the advantage of ACC.

Last edited by anandjha : 17th September 2012 at 16:42.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:46   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
Our Ertiga completed 1111 kms and the headlamps are the major concern. Any suggestions to improve lights without affecting warranty?

Also, the gear shifting is not smooth sometimes while shifting from 5th to 4th. Anyone else felt like this?
First off, congrats on your purchase! Regarding lights I have installed Philips 100/90 Rally with cut out and relay. I did it with my dealer before taking delivery. This will not void your warranty as no wires are cut during installation.

Since all of my long drives involve all night driving I installed these upgraded lights. So far they have done an amazing job in lighting the road.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 11:18   #605
BHPian

The Lxi and Ldi versions do not have head rests for the second and third row passengers. Is it possible to get those head rests fitted either in showroom or outside ? how much will be the cost ? Any idea.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:52   #606
BHPian

Ertiga Auto transmission.

Read this in carkhabri.com. Not sure whether this has been posted before in this forum or elsewhere. Thought of posting it here for the benefit of those looking for AT version of Ertiga.

Quote:
Maruti Ertiga: Automatic Transmission Variant underway
17 September, 2012: On one hand, with massive sales of Maruti Ertiga, company doesn’t have time to scratch their heads and on other side it’s geared up for the launch of AT incorporated variant of the compact MPV. According to the ongoing buzz, the launch of Maruti Ertiga AT is expected by festive occasion of Diwali in India. On the price front, it is estimated to get a premium of over INR 50,000 on the existing price of Maruti Ertiga manual gearbox model. With inclusion of this modern mechanism it will be one of a kind compact vehicle that will now pose more severe challenge to forthcoming Mahindra Quanto and existing Toyota Innova and Renault Duster. --- carkhabri.com.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:49   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik
Read this in carkhabri.com. Not sure whether this has been posted before in this forum or elsewhere. Thought of posting it here for the benefit of those looking for AT version of Ertiga.
Do you know whether Maruti is going to upgrade the upholstery to black or dark as well - this might be a good opportunity to do so

I desperately want this upholstery change to take place - the beige interiors are the only put off on Ertiga right now
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:19   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
Is Maruti planning to release an upgrade? If so are there any chances of black or dark interiors ... I find the beige interior a deal breaker and would like to wait for a change
I am not sure of Maruti, but Suzuki Indonesia has planned a crossover of Ertiga.
It looks quite nice. Hope this comes to India as well. See link below

http://bsmotoring.com/news/maruti-su...at-iims/5768/1
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:48   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76

I am not sure of Maruti, but Suzuki Indonesia has planned a crossover of Ertiga.
It looks quite nice. Hope this comes to India as well. See link below

http://bsmotoring.com/news/maruti-su...at-iims/5768/1
That's an awesome link. The front is a slight improvement, although it is the back side which is crying out for a redesign. It might be useful to watch the Ertiga for a year or so. Now that the basic design is a roaring success, the platform can be used in so many ways with engine, interior and exterior options and customizations. They can make a good product truly great.
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:12   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
Is Maruti planning to release an upgrade? If so are there any chances of black or dark interiors ... I find the beige interior a deal breaker and would like to wait for a change
Rest assured- No black interiors as of now.

The existing ertiga ZDI has waiting periods of 6+ months. i doubt with woes like Manesar and new pipeline products like XA Alpha etc, they would concentrate on a black interior on a vehicle selling so well.

If at all you are concerned about maintenance, go in for dark seat covers, so that the area to maintain is lesser.
Old 26th September 2012, 17:55   #611
BHPian

Is there an Ertiga specific PDI checklist available on this forum or should I use the generic PDI checklist available here? My Ertiga is expected in a day or two.
Old 26th September 2012, 20:29   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Is there an Ertiga specific PDI checklist available on this forum or should I use the generic PDI checklist available here? My Ertiga is expected in a day or two.
Don't think there is any Ertiga specific one, you can use the standard PDI checklist. Works well , had used the same for doing the PDI of our ZDi.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 21:20   #613
BHPian

1500 km update

The 1st service at 1000 km cost me INR 0.
The FE has settled to 15.5 with 99% city and 100% A/C at position 1. I am quite happy with the FE.

However, I would like to add 2 -ves in the list:
1. Turbo - Lag - Sometimes, especially in hyd bumper - 2 - bumper traffic, this is REALLY annoying. In cases, I could feel the boost coming at 2100+ RPM.
2. Suspension - This is becoming a big issue on Ertiga. The rear passengers are complaining that the entire shocks from bad roads are getting moved to cabin. I suspect that they have reused the swift's suspension in its bigger and heavier cousin - ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
With 100% A/C the avg FE has increased to 15.3 kmpl. ( 95% hyd city traffic and 5% drive on ORR - A/C was set to 1)

All the +ve that I have said earlier are still good. The engine has opened up a bit more.

Adding one more -ve point -
* Just started hearing some rattles on bad patches
Old 29th September 2012, 23:40   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1500 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
....I suspect that they have reused the swift's suspension in its bigger and heavier cousin - ertiga.
I believe the suspension is shared between Swift/Dzire/Ertiga. But the tuning is different. From the reviews, it's not the tune of Swift that's used in the Ertiga, but it's rather Dzire's similar softened tuning which aids in comfort.

The back benchers are feeling the potholes at low speeds or high speeds?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th September 2012 at 23:44.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:23   #615
Senior - BHPian

They may have used a different/better suspension initially to get favorable reviews, but once the sales gained traction they changed over to Swift/Dzire suspensions. This trick is also possible.

Most Viewed